CP question...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

I'm going to try my hand at CP soap today and I have a question about temperature. My grandmother said that for a 12 pound batch you need to heat the oils and have the lye mixture at 80 degrees, but for a smaller batch the temp is different. My recipe is a 6 pound batch, so what temp. should I heat it too? Thanks!

La Oberhasli said:
I'm going to try my hand at CP soap today and I have a question about temperature. My grandmother said that for a 12 pound batch you need to heat the oils and have the lye mixture at 80 degrees, but for a smaller batch the temp is different. My recipe is a 6 pound batch, so what temp. should I heat it too? Thanks!

As long as your oils/fats are within @10 degrees of each other, any temperature from 80 to 110 degrees is fine, saponification will occur at temperatures of even 70 degrees. The heat of the oils/fats chemically reacting with the lye saponifies your ingredients into soap. Temperature is not the factor that most think it is, just keep both close to the same and all will be fine. :)

Paul

Back