cp or hp for first soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sprklngsaphire

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
Hope your weekend is off to a great start! As most of you know I am preparing on making my first soap loaf and gathering up the supplies I need to get started. And now I am trying to decide which method do you think would be best for newbies? I was thinking perhaps hot process only because I could try out my first bar sooner and kinda like cooking I could sample it right away after making it. Where as if I did cold process I would have to wait for several weeks before being able to use my creation. but maybe that would be easier for my first time? Any thoughts on this? Also I have been seeing some cool soaps being made on youtube with fruit puree and although they look pretty and I like the concept of them, I am not understanding the point of them really. Fruit is great to eat and has lots of benefits to making them part of your diet but what are the benefits of putting fruit in your soap besides the cool factor? And don't worry, I am not planning on adding fruit the first few times I make soap. I was just curious about the reason behind them in there. I have never even used a fruit soap bar before, perhaps I would love it.:)

I think cold process first, just to get a 'feel' for the process. You can always try out a sliver/off cut of the soap a bit sooner. :) CP is finished saponification in a few days, it is just better after a 4 week cure. Similarly, even though HP is saponified it also benefits from a few weeks of curing.
IMHO, HP would be a bit easier once you have an idea what trace looks like, and are a bit more comfortable with the whole process (thats just my thoughts anyway).
I have used cucumber in soap, and found it added a definite silkiness (may be the wrong word, but best I can think of) to the soap - it was really nice to use. I have just made a batch with avocado puree, simply because they are so cheap right now (I LOVE avocado so really struggled to 'waste' it in soap instead of eating it haha). Carrots may or may not contribute a few skin-loving things (vitamins etc) - I don't know what survivies saponification, and how effective anything in a wash-off product is. I am experimenting one at a time with some fruits/vegetables to see what they add, and then I might mix a few together (eg cucumber & avocado). So yes, some do add benefits. Some may be just for label appeal (I added carrots to my face bar and don't think it's made any difference).

Hi Jade:p nice to meet you. And thanks for your advice. Yeah that's what I was thinking that cp might be a better choice for my first time out. And it's great to know that I can slice off a little piece to see how it does. Otherwise I am not so sure I could survive the wait lol. I wonder if everyone felt that way their first time? Impatient and all.
Thanks for letting me in on the fruit thing too. I was coming across those videos thinking how neat they looked and all but not understanding the benefits. I can see how some fruits might be truly beneficial to the skin. Just like oatmeal and honey is too. I can't wait until I am ready to make some soaps with those ingredients.

I feel that way most times...
Especially when I am testing out different ideas to see what I like best... and I have to WAIT to see how it goes before doing my next batch...

Meanwhile I have more soaps than I could probably use in one lifetime... And I have only been soaping for 12 months! Haha.

I think there's less things that can go wrong with CP. But... I'm not a soap expert either.

The issues with HP being: volcano potential, it gets super thick after the cook, lack of pourability without adding either/both sodium lactate/water.

why not do both? split the recipe in 2 and do cp and hp. keep it simple, 3-4 oils, 1 color, 1 scent, no additive. do the cp first, and then hp.

fruit in soap, hmmm... it's more label appeal at the end :)

I think you could do either and be happy. I learned by hp actually, then tried cp, its not all that different at the initial process. HP is definitely more difficult to manage/mold once cooked though so I would only forewarn you on that.

I regret using some of my hp right away, its so much better if you let them cure too so just because you can use the soap right away you probably want to let it sit a bit. For me the cure time feels about the same for great bars. :)

Honestly, whatever you are interested in you should start. I started with hp because I just loved that I can pick what oils/butters I can add after the lye is dead and also add my fo after. I have dabbled in some cp but I much prefer hp, I deal less with caustic matter and I just love it. Some people prefer cp some hp or you can try cold process oven process. I personally think you should start with whatever process you are interested in.

why not do both? split the recipe in 2 and do cp and hp. keep it simple, 3-4 oils, 1 color, 1 scent, no additive. do the cp first, and then hp.

fruit in soap, hmmm... it's more label appeal at the end :)

Great idea Seven. I may just have to try that.

Honestly, whatever you are interested in you should start. I started with hp because I just loved that I can pick what oils/butters I can add after the lye is dead and also add my fo after. I have dabbled in some cp but I much prefer hp, I deal less with caustic matter and I just love it. Some people prefer cp some hp or you can try cold process oven process. I personally think you should start with whatever process you are interested in.

Thanks for the advice. Since I have never made soap before I am not sure which way I will like the most. Guess I am gonna have to try out both and see. Hp does have some pros to it and I do have an extra crock pot I could use. ( Actually my mother-in-law has two and I'm thinking if I ask sweetly enough she will let me have one) lol.

Go check your local thrift stores(Goodwill, Salvation Army, etc). They often have the old crockpots that you can't pull the crock out of the machine for a little bit of nothing. I got a back up for a whopping $2! While you are there, look for a back up stick blender. If you can't find either, be really polite and ask the store employees if you could call once a week to ask if they got either in. They also often have interesting items you can use for molds. Just be sure you don't get anything aluminum.

And I would make CP first. It is just easier. But, do stick with the 3-4 oils, 1 scent, 1 color, no additives suggestion from wetshavingproducts.

Latest posts

Back