CP OR HP for Aleppo Soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't have the numbers handy, but I tried quite a low lye concentration -- in the teens I think -- and it cooked up fine. If you want to take a shot at maximum authenticity, you would do it hot process and add the laurel oil at the end. There is total agreement between sources that the laurel oil is added at the end.

Less clear is whether the laurel oil is intended to be a superfat to some extent or not. Last time I went with not. I used more than enough caustic to fully saponify all the oil, but I mixed in the laurel oil before pouring and let it finish in the mold. Next time I might try a lye discount.

This one guy that makes Aleppo soap in Turkey said they usually add Laurel at around the same time as the olive oil, but it takes practice to know exactly when.

Let's kidnap a Syrian and hold him/her hostage until s/he gives us the secret. We can play "Henry 8th" 24/7 to make them talk:

I'm Henry the eighth, I am
Henry the eighth, I am, I am
I got married to the widow next door
She's been married seven times before

And every one was an Henry (Henry)
She wouldn't have a Willy or a Sam (No Sam)
I'm her eighth old man, I'm Henry
Henry the eighth I am

Second verse? Same as the first!

Henry the eighth I am

Henry the eighth I am

H-E-N-R-Y
Henry (Henry)
Henry (Henry)
Henry the eighth I am, I am
Henry the eighth I am
Yeah!

Lol!I agree!

That's a mystery to me, too. I've made it using the same technique, but once it started cooking it began to thicken. I made this soap using the HP method. My HP soap required only an additional week to totally cure, however the Aleppo soap took about three months to completely cure. This is far less time than the usual cure time of 9 months to one year. It is a darker color green in the center, but I had to slice the already cut soap bars to see it.
My first batch of Aleppo Soap 30% Laurel Berry Fruit Oil ended up like soft meal so I made Aleppo shampoo from it. Awesome!

Definitely, a yes to that question. My HP soap is ready to use within a week or less and is milder

AleppoShampoo.jpg

AleppoSOAPS.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a mystery to me, too. I've made it using the same technique, but once it started cooking it began to thicken. I made this soap using the HP method. My HP soap required only an additional week to totally cure, however the Aleppo soap took about three months to completely cure. This is far less time than the usual cure time of 9 months to one year. It is a darker color green in the center, but I had to slice the already cut soap bars to see it.
My first batch of Aleppo Soap 30% Laurel Berry Fruit Oil ended up like soft meal so I made Aleppo shampoo from it. Awesome!

Definitely, a yes to that question. My HP soap is ready to use within a week or less and is milder

I like the looks of your shampoo. How long you cook your soap? Because true Aleppo soap they cook it for days .

That's true. But it's not made with a hot process method. So you're wanting to compare apples and oranges.

True you can't compare the apple and oranges but you can't call orange an apple either.

Back