Cp+melt and pour in one batch?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Emmamc94

Reaction score
I've put a layer of melt and pour inside my cp soap twice and both times it made the cp part dry and crumbly. I know melt and pour can pull moisture out of the air so I'm wondering can it pull moisture out if the cp soap too? Do I need to use less lye in my recipe if I plan to do a melt and pour layer on top of a cp layer?

I make my own M&P, and I'm only guessing yours is purchased, so my experience might be different from yours. When I tried using my M&P with my CP, two problems were consistently observed:
Remained separate from the CP layers - that is, even after months, it was fairly easy to pull the M&P top/bottom layer away from the CP.
The CP was brittle where it bordered the M&P layers, but only a thin line right along the layer border.

I never experimented to figure out why, but suspected it was due to 1. The different "hardness" of the M&P and CP, and 2. The heat of the M&P (my notes say avg of 169F by the time M&P's fully melted). I'm guessing it's primarily the heat of the M&P since I don't see these two problems as much when using M&P with HP, though they do still happen - at least to me, LOL. I should say that when I use M&P to encase CP "figurines", like stars for instance, I've had no problems, even as the soap is used down to the CP areas.

I make my own M&P, and I'm only guessing yours is purchased, so my experience might be different from yours. When I tried using my M&P with my CP, two problems were consistently observed:
Remained separate from the CP layers - that is, even after months, it was fairly easy to pull the M&P top/bottom layer away from the CP.
The CP was brittle where it bordered the M&P layers, but only a thin line right along the layer border.

I never experimented to figure out why, but suspected it was due to 1. The different "hardness" of the M&P and CP, and 2. The heat of the M&P (my notes say avg of 169F by the time M&P's fully melted). I'm guessing it's primarily the heat of the M&P since I don't see these two problems as much when using M&P with HP, though they do still happen - at least to me, LOL. I should say that when I use M&P to encase CP "figurines", like stars for instance, I've had no problems, even as the soap is used down to the CP areas.
Yeah mine is purchased. Its is pretty brittle around the edges of the soap, mostly on the botyom, it stays together with the melt and pour but the bottom is crumbling. I used the same co recipe I always use and never have a problem with it crumbling untill I add the layer of melt and pour

Yes, a link would be good. I agree with Arimara - I don't think the brittleness that I experience is the same as you've described.

I do this all the time and I never have a problem with brittle CP. I don't use Stephenson either. I use the extra clear base I got from WSP several years ago. Still is good and works fine. I would think there is something going on with the CP recipe and not the interaction with M&P.

Back