CP Kosher Salt rebatch question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mish

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am new member. Please excuse me if I am perhaps posting a question that someone else may have answered at some point already. I am new to forums as well as CP soaping. ( I didn't see a search options for a question)

A little about me: I just started making CP Soaps about 2 months ago. I really love doing it - it has become a passion of mine, and I hope to make a side business out of it in the future. For now it is more a hobby and I gift a lot of soap.

Now for my question:
I made a Kosher Salt soap but I put far too much salt in it... I also read other places that I would have cut it from the mold within the first two hours of setting to avoid "a crumbly mess" :???: I would like to rebatch it ( I've never rebatched before) but I would like to rebatch is using more oils and such to basically spread the salt out some more (perhaps put more superfat as well - hmm and how does one do that exactly).

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Also if you need the ingredients I used for this soap in order to give me a proper suggestion let me know and I can look then up on my recipe when I get home.

Thnx again :D ( Sorry for being long winded)

Best,
Mish

Welcome to the forum :)

Salt bars are really hard to rebatch (no pun intended). Honestly, instead of rebatching, I'd crumble it up and just add it to a new batch of soap.

Some people also add up to 100% of oil/salt ratio. Did you go over that amount? And, yes I agree with Genny!

I'm not quite sure of my exact measurements at this point ( it was about a month ago), but when I cut my mold it broke and crumbled and did not look very nice.

I do understand that salt bars are not suppose to bubble as much but I had hoped there would be some bubbling. I have since my post shredded all them down and ready to throw all the savings in my next batch of soap.

Should I throw them in at light trace?

Does anyone have any suggestions about what choice oils will work best for this? I assume way more coconut oil right? Perhaps coconut, castor and olive oils?

If you're adding it to new soap, then yes throw them in at light trace.

High coconut & castor oil will give you more bubbles, but make sure you raise your superfat as well so it won't be too drying from the coconut. My salt bar is 80% coconut, 10% castor, 10% shea with a 30% sf. But, I use an equal amount of salt. There's not much for bubbles, it's more like a lotion-like, creamy lather. When I drop the salt down to about 50%, it gets more bubbles.

Welcome to the forum, Mish! Nice to see another person from Mass here :)

Welcome to the forum :)

Salt bars are really hard to rebatch (no pun intended). Honestly, instead of rebatching, I'd crumble it up and just add it to a new batch of soap.

If I was worried about possibe lye clumps in a salt bar (50% salt by weight), would adding the crumbles at trace rectify this?

If I was worried about possibe lye clumps in a salt bar (50% salt by weight), would adding the crumbles at trace rectify this?

I wouldn't think so. Instead, I'd think you'd end up with little pockets of lye in your soap.

I was thinking... even with a high sf of 10%... still 80% CO still abit too high? if the skin of a person is unable to take more than 30% of CO already, won't a soap with 80% CO make it worse??

I was thinking... even with a high sf of 10%... still 80% CO still abit too high? if the skin of a person is unable to take more than 30% of CO already, won't a soap with 80% CO make it worse??

For someone with sensitive skin or someone who's sensitive to high amounts of CO, 10% probably won't be enough. That's why I sf mine at 30%.

Does that mean for CO in its oil form, is less drying than converted to soap?

Does the salt added to the soap actually helps in moisturising?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back