CP, HP, RTCP?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bret

Reaction score
I know what they stand for. I'm wondering about the benefits/downfalls of each one. I'm not sure I want to venture there anytime soon, but just for future reference :)

I started soap making with HP method, and while it's quick and easy to do, what I don't care for is the texture of the soap. It's not as hard as CP soap. But it's nice because it can be made and used quickly.

CP i've been making for awhile now and I do like the results.

HOWEVER the other day I tried RTCP soap for the first time, and OMG i'm so hooked !!!! I'm never going back to any other method again after doing it this way............ I can see why people like it so much !!!!!!

I've only made one batch so far but it was so much easier because I didn't have to heat the oils. Then wait for them to cool. And worry that one of kiddies might try and inspect the pot with hot oil in it. So this really works well for me. I can make up my lye mixture when I want to and put it up and away.

What I did for my lye mixture was mix it with my aloe juice and I put it into a plastic container made by BALL, it's a freezer jar that is plastic and has a green screw on lid. I used the 16 oz one. And once it had cooled down just a bit I screwed on the lid, and used electrical tape to secure it. Just because I do have little kids. And I put it on the top of the back of the fridge out of reach of small hands.

So personally I'm hooked on RTCP soaps now and I'm going to be making another batch today !!!! Or two or three or four.....

I agree with Faithy. I have never tried HP but I started doing RTCP a few months ago and am hooked. Thank you Paul and Shannon for turning me on to it!

What's the difference in CP and RTCP? What does RTCP stand for Room Temp Cold Process? I read on another forum that all you do is melt the solid oils then add the liquid oils and pour the lye water straight into that without letting the lye water cool down. Is that right?

I'm sticking to traditional. That (RTCP) seems to easy.

CP soap is when you melt the oils and add your lye/liquid mixture to it. Paying careful attention to the temp of your liquid/lye and your oils before you mix the two together.

RTCP soap is when you don't heat your oils, but instead use your stick blender to cream your hard and soft oils together. Sorta like when you make cookies and you cream your oils and sugar together. Till you have a creamy mixture. Then you add your liquids and continue to use your stick blender. So all your ingredients are at room temperature.

from what I understand.

i made up lye/aloe juice mixture the other day and today I'm going to use it to make soap !!!! With all my oils at room temp.

So let me see if I got this straight. When you add your liquids (lye water) are they at room temp as well or is it added to the room temp oils right after you add the lye to the water?

I read a book which also talks about RTCP. But her method is total different, she adds the lye water (which is still hot) to the oil mixture (which the solid oils are not melted), so the lye water will melt the oil mixture. After all the oils melt, then she will stick blend the mixture.

Anyone try this before??

What I do for RTCP is: Make lye solution, melt oils, wait till both are around room temp (usually around a couple hours) then get my soap on. It seams easy but it works for me. I was shocked the first time after months of standing over 2 pots contantly checking temps to find out that I could just forget about them both and come back later. I get the same results. If anything the RTCP method seems a little slower to trace but I change my recipes so much that I am not sure what the reason is.

So, edco, is RTCP something you'd suggest for someone who's never done anything other than MP?

I must admit I have never ever checked the temperature. I just make my lye, melt the oils and when they both seem tepid to my hand I mix them. :oops:

Bret said:
Let me change that then to someone who's never even touched a lye box :)

Ok you mean they sell lye in a box...... WOW i've only seen it in plastic containers......... :shock:

just giving you a bad time.....

it's really worth trying. Working with lye is no more scarey than doing many other things. You just need to give it a nice healthy dose of respect.

faithy said:
Bret said:

Ok you mean they sell lye in a box...... WOW i've only seen it in plastic containers......... :shock:

:p Shows how much I know :lol:

faithy said:
Bret said:

just giving you a bad time.....

it's really worth trying. Working with lye is no more scarey than doing many other things. You just need to give it a nice healthy dose of respect.

Exactly. You should be careful of course. I look at it like this. If you ever do any sort of candy making or deep frying that is just as dangerous as lye. I lady where I work had a horrible injury this year making some sort of candy for Christmas. A pot of 300+ degree boiling sugar or oil is just as dangerous (and in my opinion more unstable) than a lye solutions. Yet you never hear anyone say " oh heavens no, we don't make pralines at my house. It is far to dangerous!"

Latest posts

Back