CP essentials - what are your "must-haves"

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KoalaMama

Reaction score
As I mentioned in my Intro post, I am wanting to invest my Christmas money this year in soap making supplies. (Ah, cash. The gift no one ever returns!)

Anyway, I would love to hear your opinions on must-haves for getting started - both equipment and ingredients. TIA!

Lye :twisted: hehe!
A scale. A good one. That will hold a bunch. I like grams but if you get an oz one, make sure it will do tenths and not just fractions
A good mold.
A hand mixer.
Oils (duh)
FO/EO
Colors (red, blue, and yellow will make anything if ya gots a color wheelie)
More FO/EO
Stainless steel pot
Coffee (for drinking/making soap)
FO/EO
A container for lye mix (and only lye mix)
Hard liquour (for when you wait for lye/oil to cool)
4-8 extra soap dishes for your tub (you can get more later)

This is a great thread - I'm in the same boat as you - waiting for my Xmas bonus so I can buy my first supplies!

Appreciate the suggestions.

-Brian

I have to say I am definitely getting a digital scale, one that will do ounces and a tare button. I can see this is going to become more than just a hobby and the process of measuring and weighing is for me, the most tedious part of the process - a good scale would make it so much quicker and easier.

For ingredients, try to buy as much as you can locally to save on shipping costs. With that said, these are some oils that I usually have on hand that I will soap with:

coconut oil
lard
olive oil or olive pomace (I prefer to soap regular batches with olive pomace but use olive oil for my castile soaps)
palm
palm kernel oil
safflower oil
sunflower oil
canola oil
shea butter
kpangan butter
castor oil

You will also need eye protection, gloves, measuring spoons ( I prefer stainless steel ones), spoons, spatula, paper to cover the area you are working in ( I use old newspapers or butcher paper.) and some smaller bowls for using when you are coloring portions of your soap for swirling.

Back