Quantcast

covering soap? help please!

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

CupcakeKisses

Reaction score
ok, who covers their soap with plastic before putting on lid? I use the small plastic tubs until my wood mold comes, and I have used plastic to cover and prevent "soda ash". so what do you guys do? if I make "dollops" on top I dont want them smashed, but I dont want soda ash either. and when I get the wood mold do I plastic it or just put the top on? help!

IanT

Reaction score
I do!!

I either use wax paper or plastic wrap and then cover that with a towel for insulation :)

and when you use a wood mold, all ive been doing is putting the cover on and leaving it..seems to have worked so far...

helpwithsoap

Reaction score
No, I dont. I think they may cause overheating if you cover it too much.

Perhaps just tried wood :) or even cardboard

CupcakeKisses

Reaction score
helpwithsoap said:
No, I dont. I think they may cause overheating if you cover it too much.

Perhaps just tried wood :) or even cardboard
so, how do you prevent soda ash?

Waxed paper, thanks for that idea. I hate trying to stretch the plastic straight. lol

IanT

Reaction score
youve got to seal it off from the air, ash is a biproduct of the saponification process that occurs when the forming soap is exposed to air (oxygen)...either cover it with a piece of wood, or cardboard (preferably after you put wax paper or similar over the top of the soap) I usually wait a little until gel goes underway to cover it so the top is kind of harder to indent, then I just press it onto the soap and flatten the air bubbles out of it with my fingers...works real nice :)

kwahlne

Reaction score
So what do you do when you want the whipped up dollop look? Since flattening the wax paper over it would ruin the look...

IanT

Reaction score
if you want the whipped up look id say put a larger piece of cardboard on top so it covers the mold hws suggested, then you dont have to worry about smooshing them :)