Country Living Woes..

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hmlove1218

Reaction score
My A/C doesn't always go out, but when it does, there's guaranteed to be a heat index if 112°F..

Sorry, I just gotta rant a bit. This is not the first, not the second, but the THIRD time my A/C has gone out this summer.. It already feels like 90°F outside and it's only 7:30 in the morning.

It's hot and soupy here too, so I feel for ya. My AC died this year also, and it took a while to get it fixed. In the mean time I did what my mother used to do, pull the shades down on the sunny side of the house, and if you have a fan, you can stay fairly comfortable if you sit right in front of it. At night, I'd open the windows and put a box fan in one window to suck the hot air out of the house and the "cooler" air in. Then in the morning, turn the fan off and close the windows. No cooking, cereal for breakfast, salad, cold cuts, potato salad, sandwiches for lunch/dinner. It wasn't great, but I survived, and I don't do well in the heat. We're in the middle of an 8 day stretch of 90 degree temps and super high humidity, so I'm really glad that it's fixed, and I hope you don't have to wait too long!

P.S. Oh yeah, you should have seen my hair......super frizz bomb!!! LOL

Last edited:
My daughter used to live in GA and I remember how high the humidity was there. You have my sympathy.

Thanks y'all! I'm hoping it can be a quick fix. Oh, and did I mention that I live in a mobile home? Lol its a full on oven

There are no fans and window coverings where I live when the ac goes out (wouldn't that be easier!!! Jealous). If it went out (which it did 2 weeks ago), it needs to be fixed immediately or we have to find another place. These are the temps people die at, where I live, if their ac goes ....I feel your pain hmlove! I tried 3 different places when mine went on a Friday and they couldnt make it til Monday. Had to call a fourth repair place to get them there within a couple hours and financially paid the price for it at 100$ above what the part should've cost. When you have a ton of kids, some small, and a great Dane that spends a lot of time indoors (sprawled on the floor napping hehe), well you need your ac!
Hopefully it stays working through the summer. It hasn't been as bad as it could be where I'm at. One summer we had, like, over 60 straight days over 100 degrees (37-38 celcius if I did that correct), with heat index reaching 110-115 (43-46 C). That was a summer I never want to repeat!

We bought our current house just 2 years ago and 2 weeks after moving in the AC unit died. And it was during June when we had 2 weeks of 100+ temps and the state of CO was currently burning down with the largest fire in our history...so you have my sympathies! I LOVE modern conveniences.

1st world problems....

Lol definitely first world problems ha. I have two big dogs, an indoor/outdoor cat, and my kids are 4 and 2. We're probably going to go to my dad's house once it really starts heating up. Luckily he's only 3 miles away.

Luckily I do have ceiling fans and a box fan, but since I live in a trailer out in the middle of a field with no trees nearby, they don't do much good.. even when the air is working, my house easily reaches the 90s during the day .

Last edited:
I highly recommend portable a/c units. My a/c went out for the third time recently and I have an elderly relative living with me and an elderly dog. a/c guy suggested getting one of the portable units until he could get there.... probably literally saved a life. I know the dog spent the whole day in front of it! Now its future is in the garage when I want to work. You could get two of those and do the whole trailer!

http://www.homedepot.com/p/LG-Elect...ol-in-White-62-4-Pint-Day-LP1014WNR/204684041 I should've gotten the bigger one but this worked fine in the bedroom and kept the main house livable :).

Yay on getting it fixed! The south is brutal in the summer without A/C. You can't even put up a kiddie pool outside to soak in as the tap water is burning hot!

Those portable units work pretty well in small areas, but they cost so much to run... I had an old victorian-era house in Houston without central a/c and dreaded opening my energy bill for the balmy 84 I could get at midnight by running them full throttle all day and night.

Currently its 96 d and a heat index of 107 right now here where I am..I only have a small 5000 btu window unit in the from room and Im already roasting...they are calling for an actual temp of 100-101 with a heat index of 112 today.

My unit is puttering out..I took it out couple days ago and gave it a good cleaning but these temps are about to kill it..it never gets to cycle off at all.

I just now noticed that the aging fan in my bedroom has stopped working completely...its horrid. No money whatsoever to buy another cheapy unit or a fan so I dont know what I'll do if the front unit finally dies :(

And if all else fails, I know most of us must have a bunch of empty 50lb oil pails, and in a pinch, I'd be putting one of these together.
http://www.bobvila.com/articles/gen...heap-with-a-diy-air-conditioner/#.Vbvab_nrOnM

sweating smiley.gif

In the mean time I did what my mother used to do, pull the shades down on the sunny side of the house, and if you have a fan, you can stay fairly comfortable if you sit right in front of it. At night, I'd open the windows and put a box fan in one window to suck the hot air out of the house and the "cooler" air in. Then in the morning, turn the fan off and close the windows.

We don't have AC at my house, so that's our normal routine. lol Luckily the house is well-insulated, so between that and fans we can stay fairly comfortable through the day.

On Tuesday of this week Dad had a guy out to change our TV/Internet/Phone, and they had the doors and windows open... it was awful! I missed most of it because I was keeping my kitty in my room with my door shut, sitting with my fan blowing directly on me. lol It was only the last hour when he was installing a receiver on my bedroom TV that I was brought in to the "fun" of the heat.

We also had a heat wave this week, which was awful when outside... Good thing I spent most of it freezing in AC at work. The humidity's been unusually high, which is annoying.

Back