Couldn't resist the try, Bacon and Oatmeal

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My wife had left over bacon grease that I had to see if I could make into a smooth bar of soap. There was enough to make a small batch with 27% Bacon Grease and four other oils.. I worked the formula for a couple of days till I felt is was good for an attempt.. Wow its smooth and turned out Great. The smell is fantastic.. The Oatmeal with the bacon was spot on.. Now if I can just get the dogs to stop following me..

20200513_185831.jpg

CaraBou, [B]Arimara[/B] is correct. It is the ground oatmeal. I use it in many of my recipe's. It gives a nice scent on its own and I read somewhere that putting ground oatmeal in your soap can extend other scents you put in. As well as exfoliation. But for this recipe, it literally is bacon and oatmeal. It was a test to come up with a good bar of soap, and this works..

My wife had left over bacon grease that I had to see if I could make into a smooth bar of soap. There was enough to make a small batch with 27% Bacon Grease and four other oils.. I worked the formula for a couple of days till I felt is was good for an attempt.. Wow its smooth and turned out Great. The smell is fantastic.. The Oatmeal with the bacon was spot on.. Now if I can just get the dogs to stop following me..

That is awesome! We eat a LOT of bacon around here and love it. I HAVE to make this for my husband!

How did you process the bacon grease? Did you strain out the "crumblies" left over from cooking the bacon? We keep a tin can at the stove where we pour all our bacon grease...any tips would be appreciated! This is going on the list to make next week!

Good Question Bari b. I did research and you can boil it out with salt water, but I really wanted to keep that smell. So I just heated up the oil and filtered it through coffee filter. It came out surprisingly well. It did take some patience.

I believe they make a container w/strainer for this purpose. This would be an old time item. Maybe search out country store sites. Still like your soap.
Dang ma, they don't sell ripple cutters at the $store. We'll have to go to wally world.

I believe they make a container w/strainer for this purpose. This would be an old time item. Maybe search out country store sites. Still like your soap.
Dang ma, they don't sell ripple cutters at the $store. We'll have to go to wally world.
I have only once seen a ripple coap cutter in any brick and mortor store, although I used to see ripple cutters for potatoes, but they were too small for soap. Good luck finding one for soap in Walmart or any other store not selling online.

Here's one that can be ordered from Amazon: link

This one is cheaper at Brambleberry, but shipping is probably too high: link

You can also order from Walmart for delivery, so maybe they do carry it some stores: link

Joann's and Michaels also have them on their websites.
Michaels has a coupon for 20% off: 20MAKE4120 and if you order online you can pick up in store so no delivery charge. I can usually find coupons for Joann's online, as well, but have to do a Google search.

The problem I have with ordering from Joann's or Michaels for in-store pick-up is that if my local store doesn't have the item in stock, but another store does, I'd have to drive to that other store. They don't so inter-store transfers, like used to be more common in the past (at other stores I have shopped.)

Back