Could I make my Soap smell like one specific Deodorant

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sukrata

Reaction score
Hello and a great Day to you :)
So I have this old Bottle of an old Axe Bodyspray that I used in my Teens, wich Smell is kind of important to me. They dont produce this anymore. So do you know if there would be a way to transfer the smell to Soap. Im a newbie to soapmaking, but I know there are a different ways to make a bar of soap. For example from fat. Anyway, I plan to do this with a lot of things, for exaple with tabacoo my father who recently died. This should be easy right? But the Bodyspray seems a bit difficult. What do you think?

Thanks in advance!

If you mean to put actual tobacco in the soap, I would reconsider. Here is a link to a thread about something similar:
https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/tobacco-leaf-infused-water-in-cp-soap.86069/post-920416
I kind of have to disagree. While nicotine is naturally occurring in tobacco, it would be like caffeine in coffee. Or putting ‘weed’ in your soap and expecting to get high off of it. Even when CBD Oil is used in soap, the amount needed to have an effect because of the saponification process beyond label appeal is too cost prohibitive (I did some research on this a couple of years ago).

@TheGecko you make a good point that many substances don't survive saponification. But many do. That's why we have IRFA limits on EOs and FOs.

Example: many EOs have extremely limited skin-safe usage, even in CP soap, and some cannot be used at all. I personally cannot use any soap with any amount of cinnamon, nutmeg, or other "hot" EOs. They actually burn my skin, just like I touched a hot stove. I also get a severe flushing reaction, with extremely high blood pressure and racing heartbeat.

Likewise, fairly minimal skin contact with tobacco leaves is well known to cause severely toxic reactions, including permanent brain damage and death. I don't think that can be compared with CBD or caffeine, which are not at all toxic at low levels of skin contact.

IMO, it would be highly dangerous to experiment on one's self, based solely on the guess and hope that the toxic compounds in tobacco leaves wouldn't survive saponification. To give any it to anyone else would be unconscionable.

You can hot process the soap and add the fragrance oil at the end of the cook. There are several AXE fragrances. Which one did you use in body spray?

There's a company in the UK called Pure Scented, and they do three tobacco fragrance oils. Ale, bourbon and tobacco, honey and tobacco, or tobacco and vanilla. They also sell on amazon.

See here: Honey & Tobacco Fragrance Oil - Pure Scented

Even when CBD Oil is used in soap, the amount needed to have an effect because of the saponification process beyond label appeal
I read somewhere that CBD can withstand heat over 200°C, and should survive the saponification process. Its worth researching. I couldn't find the exact article, but i found another one...

CBD Soap Recipe – Pain Relief Soap with lavender essential oil - Simple Life Mom

It is expensive, so i see your point, its maybe not worth it.

I read somewhere that CBD can withstand heat over 200°C, and should survive the saponification process. Its worth researching. I couldn't find the exact article, but i found another one...

CBD Soap Recipe – Pain Relief Soap with lavender essential oil - Simple Life Mom

It is expensive, so i see your point, its maybe not worth it.
It's actually closer to 300F, but it's not the heat of saponification, it's the chemical process that turns oils/butters and liquid NaOH into 'soap' that breaks everything down and turns it all into 'soap'.

And yes, I ran across that article/recipe and she is full of excrement. Soap does NOT "moisturize" the skin; if it's a well made soap what it is does it doesn't strip the skin of its natural oil, but it's not a lotion. She claims that soap only heats up to 110F...maybe if you put it in the frig or freezer or a cold garage during the winter. Most soap heats up naturally to around 120F-130F and if you insulate it, temperatures can exceed 200F. She also claims that saponification doesn't destroy CBD 'bonds' because: "Lye bonds with salts in fatty acid chains and doesn’t attack vitamins, minerals, and other elements that are found within plants." The problem with this that it is very misleading; yes, lye does bond with salts in fatty acid chains, but CBD Oil isn't an oil per se, it's more of an an "extract" and it comes from the leaves and not the seed. Any 'salts in fatty acid chains' are going to come from the carrier oil.

There are no peer-reviewed studies that I can find about the benefits of Essential Oils in soap, much less CBD Oil. Now I use a lotion every winter (arthritis) that contains 125mg of CBD Oil in a 1.5 fl oz bottle and it is effective, but it's a lotion...it's something that I rub into my skin and leave it for a good half hour.

Now let's look at soap. First of all, it's a wash on/rinse off product that is maybe on your skin for maybe two to five minutes so it's going to be tough for anything to be really effective. Now let's look at the soap...most CBD soaps on the market are around 4.5oz to 5.0oz and shouldn't contain more than 75mg per bar. And if you do see a bar that says "100mg CBD"...that's probably how much they put in the batch and who knows how large of batch the made.

I looked into making CBD soap and it's not worth it.

Hello and a great Day to you :)
So I have this old Bottle of an old Axe Bodyspray that I used in my Teens, wich Smell is kind of important to me. They dont produce this anymore. So do you know if there would be a way to transfer the smell to Soap. Im a newbie to soapmaking, but I know there are a different ways to make a bar of soap. For example from fat. Anyway, I plan to do this with a lot of things, for exaple with tabacoo my father who recently died. This should be easy right? But the Bodyspray seems a bit difficult. What do you think?

Thanks in advance!
I wish you the best on your duping adventure. I too like to dupe commercial products. Also, welcome to the forum.

There are no peer-reviewed studies that I can find about the benefits of Essential Oils in soap, much less CBD Oil.
I like your style of replying, with in-depth detail. I do the same, and try to break everything down in articles, because there is a lot of contradictory answers online. I can't find any real cbd studies in soap either. I don't know much about cbd at all, so i can't argue with you! Personally, i think using cbd is a marketing strategy to bump up the price of their soap, like "mission farms" $20 soap bar!

As for your quote above, do essential oils in soaps not have any benefits? Again, there's a lot of conflicting opinions. Im unsure wither to use essential oil for benefits it could have or fragrance oil (which is cheaper).

I know what the woman in the article i sent means about moisturising. There's only one bar of soap ive bought that's made my skin feel moisturised after a shower, and that was a baby bastille (olive oil, coconut oil, and carrot puree). By moisturised, i mean soft.

I like your style of replying, with in-depth detail. I do the same, and try to break everything down in articles, because there is a lot of contradictory answers online. I can't find any real cbd studies in soap either. I don't know much about cbd at all, so i can't argue with you! Personally, i think using cbd is a marketing strategy to bump up the price of their soap, like "mission farms" $20 soap bar!

As for your quote above, do essential oils in soaps not have any benefits? Again, there's a lot of conflicting opinions. Im unsure wither to use essential oil for benefits it could have or fragrance oil (which is cheaper).

I know what the woman in the article i sent means about moisturising. There's only one bar of soap ive bought that's made my skin feel moisturised after a shower, and that was a baby bastille (olive oil, coconut oil, and carrot puree). By moisturised, i mean soft.
I usually go with the common sense approach. I'm the one who gets to train new accountants in the office and I spend at least half of the training in explaining why we do the things we do. It usually forestalls a lot of problems down the road, though not always because people are jerks.

Lack of knowledge regarding cannabidiol (CBD) oil is not surprising; it been all black market/dark web stuff given that Cannabis has been a Schedule 1 drug...meaning that the government had determined that it had no accepted medical use and had a high potential for abuse. People have known for years that there are many medical benefits to both the THC and CBD components, but no one has been allowed to actually study them. It wasn't until Trump signed the 2018 Farm Bill allowed for the production of hemp and removed hemp and hemp seeds from the Drug Enforcement Administration’s (DEA) schedule of Controlled Substances and that was because it was finally recognized that Hemp, while the same plant species as Marijuana, contained very little THC.

It will be years yet before we actually start seeing medical/scientific studies done, but in the meantime, let's jump on the CBD bandwagon. And as I said, I looked into it because I had some requests for it, but the more I looked into it, the more of a 'racket' it seemed to be. Our local news station did a report on CBD soaps. They bought about a dozen different soaps and then sent them to a lab to be analyzed. Most of them came back with none to just a trace amounts of CBD. And the ones that did contain CBD did not match the amount that was advertised on the label.

Regarding Essential Oils...again, no peer-reviewed studies. What do I think personally? I think think they can be beneficial...when it comes to aromatherapy and leave-on products like salves, rubs and lotions. I grew up poor in the country...we used a lot of old-timey poultices and tinctures so I know the value of natural products. But not in soap.

And you skin felt soft because the soap didn't strip your skin of its natural oils...it was less about what the soap did, than what it didn't do.

And you skin felt soft because the soap didn't strip your skin of its natural oils...it was less about what the soap did, than what it didn't do.
Another interesting read! Ive been noting down types of soap i come across, and the list has built up. Castile, bastille, marseille, soleseife, aleppo, bittim, pine tar, blah blah blah, you know the rest. So im wondering, if essential oils aren't beneficial in soap, are any of these types of soaps specially beneficial?

I wanted to make soap that doesn't just clean, but actually do something! Did you personally try the cbd soaps you had analyzed? I suppose you would need someone who has something like fibromyalgia to try it. But then who knows if its just going to be psychological that it helps pain.

I bought cbd infused coconut oil because it was on sale for half price. I was going to put it in soap, but i suppose that's pointless, so i could use it to make lip balm, just to see if it does anything different to normal lip balm with coconut oil. I don't have a cpsr yet, so its not for selling, but it could be a gimmick or selling point in future, although full price its £20 ($23).

Attachments

• PXL_20220915_192955825-01.jpeg
    PXL_20220915_192955825-01.jpeg
    860.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Because my mouse is dead and I am lost without it, and am not good at using the touch pad on the laptop...I can't figure out how to quote in my message LOL. So sorry, I am probably all over the place in responding to messages.

Anyway, there are lots of studies on aromatherapy. Just the smell affects a person. Not so much is believed in the power of fragrance in the United States as it is in France... I feel that we are behind the times on this study, whereas France has long been using aromatherapy, even in hospitals to aid healing and well-being.

I don't have any scientific documentation on how well an essential oil properties holds up in soap as far as applying it to your skin. I am going to go with none. But I do know that I healed a fresh burn on my finger nearly overnight by putting a couple of drops of lavender on it and covering it with a band aid...but I wouldn't rub a bar of lavender soap on a burn, even if I made it with lavender EO.

I also know that just the smell of lavender is calming, relaxing, and sleep inducing. So yeah, if I were permitted to make a claim about the smell of lavender in soap, I would put that on my label. Soap retains the AROMA of lavender, so why wouldn't the aromatherapy properties be retained?

Does soap retain the chemical properties in lavender that make it anti-fungal, anti-viral, etc....stay in soap? Probably not. But the aroma sticks, at least for a little while in soap. An aroma can evoke emotions, memories, as well as other stimuli. I woke up this morning groggy because I was up late last night. I made my coffee and didn't even drink it for a while, and I was awake and alert, just because the aroma of coffee was filling the house (don't get me wrong, drinking it helped a lot after lol).

So to respond to the OP, I think that you are trying to find a fragrance that matches the smell you are looking for. I wish you luck. Maybe you can find a dupe or find out what the notes are to recreate it, or at least part of it. My friends husband passed away. Unknowingly I bought her a bunch of these "petals" room fragrance plug ins from bath and body works. She cried because it made her think of her husband. To me, this fragrance and her husbands cologne didn't smell alike in the least. Somehow it did to her...The power of aroma.

Another interesting read! Ive been noting down types of soap i come across, and the list has built up. Castile, bastille, marseille, soleseife, aleppo, bittim, pine tar, blah blah blah, you know the rest. So im wondering, if essential oils aren't beneficial in soap, are any of these types of soaps specially beneficial?

I wanted to make soap that doesn't just clean, but actually do something! Did you personally try the cbd soaps you had analyzed? I suppose you would need someone who has something like fibromyalgia to try it. But then who knows if its just going to be psychological that it helps pain.

I bought cbd infused coconut oil because it was on sale for half price. I was going to put it in soap, but i suppose that's pointless, so i could use it to make lip balm, just to see if it does anything different to normal lip balm with coconut oil. I don't have a cpsr yet, so its not for selling, but it could be a gimmick or selling point in future, although full price its £20 ($23).
I think there is some confusion here. None of these soaps are EO soaps…they are single or two oils regional soaps: Castile, Olive Oil, Spain; Marseille, Olive Oil or Palm/Coconut Oil and sea water, France; Soleseife, Olive Oil, sea water, Germany; Aleppo, Olive/Laurel Berry Oil, Syria; Bittim, Olive/Bittim Oil, Turkey. Providing they are cured properly, they stand on their own. Bastille is the off-spring of unmarried Castile Soap and another oil. Pine Tar…I’m not sure who decided that a wood preservative would make a great soap additive, but like the others, they stand on their own. As I was clear to state…it was my personal opinion regarding EOs in soap.

Yes I tried a couple and they did nothing. I have a touch of arthritis and I use a lotion that contains 300mg of CBD; most of the time a single application works, but sometime I have to do a second one. Again…this is a lotion that is left on my skin. As opposed to a bar of soap supposedly containing 75 to 100mg that even though I pretended I was Dr House scrubbing up, did nothing by dry my skin out.

If you want to make a soap that does “something”, then make a well-balanced bar of soap that is gentle enough for babies and old people, doesn’t strip the natural oils from your skin, will last through 30 days of showers, will make for a pleasant bathing experience and have your customers coming back to buy more.

I think there is some confusion here. None of these soaps are EO soaps…they are single or two oils
I didn't mean that they had essential oils in it, i was just asking... if essential oil has no benefits, do certain carrier oils you choose have benefits after saponification? Obviously they have certain properties for cleansing, bubbles, etc, but i mean do they have certain skin benefits for ailments. Its hard to explain what i mean, so i blame the fact i need to sleep!

If you want to make a soap that does “something”, then make a well-balanced bar of soap that is gentle enough for babies and old people, doesn’t strip the natural oils from your skin
Cool, thanks. I just want to make something amazing! I take it those ph strips can test soap to wither it'll strip your natural oils from the skin?

Im still new to soap making and haven't even made my first batch of cold process yet. I seem to keep putting it off to research stuff! Only made melt & pour for 2 years, and lip balm.

I didn't mean that they had essential oils in it, i was just asking... if essential oil has no benefits, do certain carrier oils you choose have benefits after saponification? Obviously they have certain properties for cleansing, bubbles, etc, but i mean do they have certain skin benefits for ailments. Its hard to explain what i mean, so i blame the fact i need to sleep!

Cool, thanks. I just want to make something amazing! I take it those ph strips can test soap to wither it'll strip your natural oils from the skin?

Im still new to soap making and haven't even made my first batch of cold process yet. I seem to keep putting it off to research stuff! Only made melt & pour for 2 years, and lip balm.
I’ve never used a PH strip so I could tell you. Essential Oils do have benefits…just not in soap (personal opinion). If I use an EO, I do SOLELY because I like the smell if it…period.

As an oil or butter,, it can be beneficial. When I lived in Arizona (land of sand, cactus and triple digits), I used 100% Coconut Oil all the time, it was fantastic. A 100% Coconut Oil soap…not so fantastic, very drying in fact. One of the things you have to understand about soap making (doesn’t not apply to M&P and Rebatch)…what goes IN the pot, is NOT the same as what comes OUT of the pot. Example…a Coconut Oil soap. What goes IN the pot in Coconut Oil and liquid Sodium Hydroxide, what comes OUT of the pot is Sodium Cocoate (fatty acids) and Glycerin aka ‘soap’. So what you want to look to when you are formulating your recipe(s) is the Fatty Acids and how the property of them contribute to the soap that you want to make.

BUTT (notice that that is a big ‘but’)…you want to be careful here too. Example…Argan Oil; it’s high in Oleic and Linoleic fatty acids which are great for a creamy bar that isn’t going to dry your skin. It also sells for about $5.00 an ounce. For about the same price ($5.49), I can buy a 40oz bottle of Corn Oil, also high in Oleic and Linoleic FAs at my local grocery store.

Another ‘but’ here (not as big)…this is not to suggest that you use the cheapest ingredients out there. I use Cocoa and Shea Butters in my soap…I could forgo using them and still have a good bar of soap and I’d make more, but I LIKE them and at 20% they aren’t there just for “label appeal” but contribute to the soap. And my customers like them too and so they are willing to pay $7.00 for a 4oz bar. Cost isn’t everything.

When you get the chance, research the ingredients of high-end soaps and compare them to soaps in my local stores. And when you’re ready to make CP soap, I’ll give you my recipe to try out.

BUTT (notice that that is a big ‘but’)…you want to be careful here too. Example…Argan Oil; it’s high in Oleic and Linoleic fatty acids which are great for a creamy bar that isn’t going to dry your skin. It also sells for about $5.00 an ounce. For about the same price ($5.49), I can buy a 40oz bottle of Corn Oil, also high in Oleic and Linoleic FAs at my local grocery store.
Yeah, i get what you mean. I use argan oil in lip balm, but its far too expensive to use in soap, when i can use olive oil, rice bran oil or canola oil. Quick question: is corn oil and canola oil the same thing? Again, lots of contradicting articles online.
I use Cocoa and Shea Butters in my soap
I buy unrefined shea for my lip balm, and even on its own, the feeling on the skin and the smell is amazing, its really good stuff. I'd quite like to try it in a soap one day.
When you get the chance, research the ingredients of high-end soaps and compare them to soaps in my local stores. And when you’re ready to make CP soap, I’ll give you my recipe to try out.
I'll do that. Ive started looking more at ingredients labels these days. Most of the decent handmade soaps in commercial supermarkets all contain palm oil. There's none that don't, unless you search amazon or etsy.

At the moment, i have a bastille recipe from the nerdy farm wife book that i wanted to try. But it would be good to try other recipes or your recipe too, so thanks for that. Do you have a link to your website/shop or etsy, just to check it out?

Yeah, i get what you mean. I use argan oil in lip balm, but its far too expensive to use in soap, when i can use olive oil, rice bran oil or canola oil. Quick question: is corn oil and canola oil the same thing? Again, lots of contradicting articles online.

I buy unrefined shea for my lip balm, and even on its own, the feeling on the skin and the smell is amazing, its really good stuff. I'd quite like to try it in a soap one day.

I'll do that. Ive started looking more at ingredients labels these days. Most of the decent handmade soaps in commercial supermarkets all contain palm oil. There's none that don't, unless you search amazon or etsy.

At the moment, i have a bastille recipe from the nerdy farm wife book that i wanted to try. But it would be good to try other recipes or your recipe too, so thanks for that. Do you have a link to your website/shop or etsy, just to check it out?
No...Corn Oil comes from Corn, Canola Oil comes from the Canola Plant (cabbage/mustard) and is also known as Rapeseed Oil in some countries depending on use. Two totally different plants, but they are often compared in cooking.

I love Shea Butter.

The majority of commercially produced soap will be made with one or two of the following: Tallow, Palm Oil, Coconut Oil and/or Palm Kernel Oil. This is because they are very cheap when purchased by the rail car. Even a lot of 'high end' soaps are made with them. Eau De Campagne Soap is $27 for a 100g bar at Harrods, $42 for 3.5oz at Saks Fifth Avenue. The ingredients aren't really much different that you would get in a 4 or 6-pak at the grocery store. LeLabo Rose 31...$34 for 226g at Harrods: main ingredients are Palm Oil, Coconut Oil and Palm Kernel...and they put a little Olive Oil and Shea Butter for label appeal.

And you're going to note that pretty much all commercially produced bars contain Glycerin/Glycerine. Now Glycerin is good, it's humectant. So what's the problem...glycerin is naturally occurring by-product of soap making. Using the Continuous Process, natural fats are split into fatty acids and glycerin using a Hydrolizer...the fatty acids are then combined with Sodium Hydroxide to make soap. Some of the Glycerin is added back in, which is why it is listed as a separate ingredient, but the majority of it is sold. In artisan soap making...it all remains, it's just part of the saponification process.

My Recipe:

35% Olive Oil
20% Coconut Oil
20% Palm Oil (RSPO)
10% Cocoa Butter
10% Shea Butter
5% Castor Oil

33% Lye Concentration
5% Super Fat

1 tea Sodium Lactate PPO
1 tea Kaolin Clay PPO

Some Notes:

- The Olive Oil is just standard OO, it's a waste to use EVOO...I save that for cooking.
- The Cocoa and Shea Butters are 'natural'; makes for a nice 'unscented' soap
- I add the Lactate to my Lye Solution, I disperse the Clay in my FO. For 'unscented', I just toss it in with the Oils and let it soak in.
- I tend to soap around 90F; I MasterBatch so I reheat the oils to 120F and my Lye Solution is usually around 70F
- For the longest play time...only blend to emulsion.

Corn Oil comes from Corn, Canola Oil comes from the Canola Plant (cabbage/mustard) and is also known as Rapeseed Oil in some countries depending on use.
Aw yeah, i don't know why i keep getting mixed up. It is rapeseed. I watch uncle jons soapmaking on youtube, and he uses canola oil. Barley oil is meant to be similar in properties to corn oil, but its rare to find.

Eau De Campagne Soap is $27 for a 100g bar at Harrods, $42 for 3.5oz at Saks Fifth Avenue. The ingredients aren't really much different that you would get in a 4 or 6-pak at the grocery store.
How do they get away with pricing it so high... maybe people are just paying for the brand?

And you're going to note that pretty much all commercially produced bars contain Glycerin/Glycerine. Now Glycerin is good, it's humectant. So what's the problem...glycerin is naturally occurring by-product of soap making. Using the Continuous Process, natural fats are split into fatty acids and glycerin using a Hydrolizer...the fatty acids are then combined with Sodium Hydroxide to make soap. Some of the Glycerin is added back in, which is why it is listed as a separate ingredient, but the majority of it is sold. In artisan soap making...it all remains, it's just part of the saponification process.
I didn't know that, so that's interesting, something to look out for on labels. So i take it handmade soap makers don't need to list glycerin as an ingredient because its just part of the saponification process?

My Recipe:
Thanks for that. I had to google masterbatch, so i have a rough idea now. If your lye is 33%, does that mean the water amount is 67% or is that completely wrong!?

I have all those ingredients here including the sodium lactate, but i'll just need to get some palm oil.

Back