Could I have your thoughts on this?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DarCreates

Reaction score
I've been making some M&P soaps, and playing with embedding a piece of laminate with writing on it. (I think I've seen this called 'saying soaps.')

My question is, does a soap w/something like that in it raise the stakes as far as legal liability? Or would this be considered an embed, similar to other items in the soaps? I've also seen decals on the soap, which I guess would come off eventually if one used the soap...

I guess my main concern is legal risk, even with insurance...

Does it make a difference if I post a warning label on the package? Do others post special warnings on soaps with embedded toys, etc. ?

Or, is it something a soaper should stay completely away from?

Would love some thoughts from the pros here, who've been doing soaps for a long time. :)

I have an idea I'd like to pursue, but not if it increases the chances of being sued. :-(

While I don't do M&P soaps (only RTCP) I saw this on the telly and always thought it was an awesome idea to do.

(might give it a try someday with the kids for a holiday or something.)

But anywho I searched it out for you.
http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/shows_hcc ... 23,00.html

Anywho as to your question, I would think it would be considered an embed,

But personally I wouldn't put anything small enough in a soap as an embed that would be a choke hazzard. Just for my own piece of mind. Because you never know who it will be given to, and IF they would even read the label or how it's used.

If the item won't scratch the skin I wouldn't worry myself. I have seen many peple put items like plastic farm animals in soap & you know when those little ears or hooves become exposed they are going to scratch the heck out of someone's skin.

On the other end of the spectrum, there is a trendy soap bar that is clear & has a razor embedded in it. It been out for, sheesh, at least 5-6 years. I can only assume the label reads for decorative purposed only :roll: .

Thanks so much for your thoughts, ladies.

Faithy, I appreciate the link. That's beautiful. What I want to do is similar to that, with a thin piece of laminate, very similar to the photo in the soap.

Tabitha, thanks as well. I don't think it'd be scratchy, and hopefully they'd remove the small piece of laminate when it started coming through, if they were using the soap.

Hmmm... lots to think about. :)

I'll post a pic as soon as I figure out how to use the camera, upload the pic to my 'puter, and post it, lol. May take a while. :wink:

Latest posts

Back