Could I get help with this recipe?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tands411

Reaction score
I'm looking to make a soap with 60% safflower oil (high linoleic kind) and 40% shea butter. After putting into soapcalc, I see that I need help with hardness and lather. I plan on adding kaolin clay and a little oat flour. I did some research and will add sodium lactate at 2% for hardness. Should I add sugar too for the lather? Do you think this recipe will turn out ok?

No, too much safflower oil, and way too much shea. The clay, oat flour and SL will not help (SL really only helps harden for unmolding, it doesn't make the soap harder in the end/after cure.) I think it would be better to start from scratch w/a basic soap using lard/palm, olive, CO and castor.

Something like: 45-55% lard (if you are ok w/animal fats, if not palm), 20% CO, 5% castor, the balance olive.

Last edited:
I agree. You need some coconut, castor and I would add some olive. Lard or palm as well if your not opposed to it. That much Shea will not give much lather. I personally would go back to soap calc and rework it some.

Thank you for your help! I suppose I can't make a soap that has more linoleic than oleic acid. Could I make a liquid soap that has more linoleic?

Actually, if you used 60% high oleic safflower oil instead of the high linoleic kind, and 40% shea butter, I think it might make a very interesting Castile-type soap. Truth ne told, I've been meaning to make something like this myself as an experiment, but with Olive oil instead of safflower oil.

Having said that, though- exactly what kind of qualities do you desire your soap to have?

IrishLass :)

I was doing some research, and I think I can make this a liquid soap. using potassium hydroxide of course. and no sodium lactate. I am simply looking for a soap that has more linoleic acid than oleic acid.
Question is, when I put in Koh and calculate it on soapcalc.com, do I just ignore the soap quality numbers and just go for it?

I was doing some research, and I think I can make this a liquid soap. using potassium hydroxide of course. and no sodium lactate. I am simply looking for a soap that has more linoleic acid than oleic acid.

Question is, when I put in Koh and calculate it on soapcalc.com, do I just ignore the soap quality numbers and just go for it?

If you want to make this soap, then would the quality numbers make you change your mind or not? It's a little bit of an odd question to ask, to be honest, as people have given suggestions and feedback already

If you want to make it to see how it is, for for it

I dont make liquid soap so can't help with that..but I am curious why you want more linoleic?

As IL asked, what qualities are you looking for in a soap in general?

Latest posts

Back