Cost of Coconut oil

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4sillyswans

Reaction score
Has anyone else who buys CO in bulk noticed the price doubling in the last 2 months?

My local supplier claims they had to increase the price because of a crop failure and that the price should go back down...then, immediately changed their package sizes. I can no longer buy my CO 35 #'s at a time, its either 1 gallon (ummmm....NO) or 50 #'s.

I have been watching WSP prices, and have not noticed that their CO doubled, and same for SMR and RSH. Now, I know this can be because these suppliers get their oils from different sourses or because of quantities purchased.....but....I just want to make sure I'm not being taken advantage of because my suppler knows that CO oil is a must for most soapers! Especially since they cater to candle makers first & foremost.

It seems like everything has gone up recently, fo/eos, base oils, you name it. The high price of gas surely doesn't help. I don't buy large quantities, but I've read similar threads across different forums about price increases.

But, double, that seems excessive. Maybe someone who buys in large amounts will chime in.

Soaper's Choice has had the same price for more than a couple of months now. I have around 40 lbs in one bucket and another 50 lbs in the freezer, but have been watching to see if the price was going up any more. It's been fairly stable their for awhile, you can get 1 gallon or 50 lbs.

@heyjude...yes, I agree that double is excessive! Worries me that even if their cost goes down, will they still charge the doubled price because of loyal soapers like myself who have continued to buy it at outrageous price points because of loyalty?

@bayougirl.....I will check out soapers choice, I have ordered from them in the past but haven't kept up with their CO prices. I make so much soap that any quantity less than 35 #s isn't even worth my time or the packging waste. Ahh...if only I could find a soaper in my areto split the cost of drums! LOL
Thanks

I have suffered with the same increase, I have to suppliers that I deal with and I have heard the crop failure story from both of them. What to do.....

Not sure if this helps...

I just bought 2 54oz jars of Nutiva CO for $39.99 with free shipping on ebay.

@ bayougirl....WOW, WOW, WOW!!!! From soapers Choice (even with $22 shipping) CO is $42 CHEAPER for 50# than my current supplier!!! Thank you for mentioning them! I am even concidering starting to go back with them for my Castor & SAO....even with shipping on those, I will be saving money!

Hate it that I can't depend on My LOCAL sourse to be affordable anymore....but when my soap business profits are going down when sales are up......I'M spending TOOOOOOO much on my ingredients!

Back