Cosmetic V Food Grade Olive Oil

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sdcandles

Reaction score
I have been using cosmetic grade olive oil for my soap making. Unfortunately my supplier has run out and I need to make a batch straight away. Can I use food grade olive oil instead? I sell the soap, so I need it to be the same quality/finished product.

Thanks
Richard

Dont know what the difference in quality is but iv been using food grade olive oil and iv not seen anyone mention they use cosmetic grade olive oil I didnt even know that it existed

My recollection is a cosmetic grade oil might not actually be one specific type of oil -- it might be a blend of several different oils that meet certain standards. So cosmetic grade olive might not actually be 100% olive oil; it might be a blend of, say, olive, soy, etc. Or whatever.

I haven't researched this, however -- just passing on what someone said some time ago here on SMF.

Deanna is correct. Cosmetic grade isn’t all olive oil. It also has other oils that are similar in SAP value. It’s also a blend of different grades of OO unless things have changed. I looked into it years ago and the supplier provided the information. Same goes with Cosmetic Avocado oil. I stopped using them due to them not being what they claimed to be. There was a huge discussion on a forum too but can’t remember where. I only use food grade OO.

Latest posts

Back