Cosmetic Claims

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hmlove1218

Reaction score
I have trouble understanding what can and cannot be claimed as a cosmetic and not a drug. I'm sure I'm not the only one, so I just wanted to share this PDF that I found that gives examples of what can be claimed and explains why or why not. Cosmetic Claims PDF
ETA: Clicking on the link will download the PDF, not take you to a web page. Check your downloaded folder for a file called Cosmetic Skin Care Claims or something of the sorts.

Last edited:
It is.

As I understand it, cosmetic is just that - cosmetic, appearance. Drug is actually treating something. Which is why moisturizer adverts refer to fighting the appearance of fine lines and making your skin look younger, rather than treating the causes of fine lines and making your skin younger(which would make it a drug).

An example would be something that can reduce the appearance of adult acne would be a cosmetic. Something that will reduce adult acne would be a drug. Even if your product does the latter, you can just say the former and label as a cosmetic.

I think the link is broken.

It is.

As I understand it, cosmetic is just that - cosmetic, appearance. Drug is actually treating something. Which is why moisturizer adverts refer to fighting the appearance of fine lines and making your skin look younger, rather than treating the causes of fine lines and making your skin younger(which would make it a drug).

An example would be something that can reduce the appearance of adult acne would be a cosmetic. Something that will reduce adult acne would be a drug. Even if your product does the latter, you can just say the former and label as a cosmetic.

Sorry, the link is to download the PDF. Check your downloads folder and you should find a file titled something like Cosmetic Skin Care Claims.

Last edited:
Back