Coronavirus

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is true unfortunately. Having worked in pediatrics we saw that with rapid strep tests. I did learn something helpful yesterday from an ED Dr. Since the omicron variant usually starts in the throat ( sore throat being one of the first symptoms) , if you do a home self test, swab the back of your throat first , then your nose as the directions say. It’s an off label technique that’s getting more accurate results. Always something huh? Lol Next time I do home test I’m going to try it 🙄
That’s what I did, with my own variation. I had Covid last year and it was a bit different but similar enough for me to know what I was dealing with. This round of Covid wasn’t as bad as last year and I didn’t lose senses of smell and taste, except for a day.

This time, I started with a scratchy throat at the beginning of last week. Then a slight headache and low grade fever. The sore throat ramped up to where it felt really raw. My husband looked and saw white patches, similar to strep. The white patches went away by the end of the day or I would have gotten a strep test. I slept a lot and fever stayed in the 99.5-100.3 range. I only took aspirin a few times for the headache. My upper nostrils started to feel that familiar burning sensation I had last year with Covid.

We were able to buy a few test kits at WalMart. To do my test, I used a q-tip to swab each of my nostrils and then used the provided swab to rub on the q-tip. Since my throat was swollen and mucousy, and I have a strong gag reflex, I coughed into a clean cup and rubbed the swab in the cup. I then completed the test as instructed. It came up positive within a few minutes.
I know this isn’t the recommended way to perform the test but it worked for me. I waited until I was 3 days into the illness to test, in order to get an accurate result. I was doing everything I knew I needed to do (quarantining, supplements, etc), so test results wouldn’t have changed anything. Anyhow, I think testing the throat is a good idea and they have been using spit and gargled water to test with accuracy, too.

And the vaccines were ~95% effective against *the original variant* ... but all the unvaccinated who contract covid give it a place to mutate into something that is more resistant.

I am sick to death of folks blaming the “unvaccinated”. Viruses naturally mutate to adapt to their surroundings and more effectively move from host to host…doesn’t matter if you are vaccinated, unvaccinated, or have a natural immunity.

I am sick to death of folks blaming the “unvaccinated”. Viruses naturally mutate to adapt to their surroundings and more effectively move from host to host…doesn’t matter if you are vaccinated, unvaccinated, or have a natural immunity.
I agree. Most people are going to get this newer variant. It’s highly contagious and doesn’t care if you’re unvaccinated, naturally immune, or doubly vaccinated and boosted to the moon. It’s moving from pandemic to endemic very rapidly. That should give us some encouragement.

I’m more concerned about what has happened to people over these past two years. There is a lot of damage created and surfacing, and it will need to be dealt with. So many are living in fear and/or anger. Many are waiting for a sense of “normalcy” to return, while difficulties still look ahead. I pray we can all pull back together and realize we all did the best we could, given the circumstances we were given. We will need each other. It’s time to stop placing blame and work on forgiveness and charity.

I went to the lung doc day before yesterday and he told me the hospital was still full and 80% in there were unvaccinated and it was depressing to walk by all the rooms and see every one on a ventilator. Talked to the heart doc. last week and he was thinking the omicron might not give a strong enough or long enough immunity and there was already new variants in Europe. His worry is that people are going to keep getting sick every few months and that that will be a real over all drag on them and people were not really built for that kind of stress.
Cheers
gww

Last edited:
Tashabird
Stupid sad face should have been a smile. Note to self, must pay better attention. Good for you.
Cheers
gww

I’m more concerned about what has happened to people over these past two years. There is a lot of damage created and surfacing, and it will need to be dealt with. So many are living in fear and/or anger. Many are waiting for a sense of “normalcy” to return, while difficulties still look ahead. I pray we can all pull back together and realize we all did the best we could, given the circumstances we were given. We will need each other. It’s time to stop placing blame and work on forgiveness and charity.

I think that most of us are suffering from Covid Fatigue or even Covid PSTD...I know that I am struggling. I absolutely love my job. I have a fantastic boss, great co-workers, have most of my clients well-trained, I make a good living, have good benefits. Yeah, the 108 mile round-trip commute sucks some time, but if I need a break I can work from home. I also have a fantastic husband (probably should have put him first). He never complains about how much money I spend on yarn or my yearly knitting retreat (he bought me a new suitcase last year so I would have more room for yarn). He's been very supportive of my soap making and hasn't complained about the bottles of FO and jars of Mica on the desk, or the kitchen counter, or the new mold sitting in front of the microwave...next to a slab mold filled with a bunch more stuff.

About a month or so ago, I started hitting the 'snooze' button. Instead of being the first one in the office, I'm usually the last. Instead of occasionally working from home a couple of days a month, it's a couple of day a week. My work is suffering and we're getting ready to enter our busiest season of the year. I want to make soap, but then I walk into the kitchen and my soap cart is constantly covered with all the crap everyone puts on it. By the time I get all cleaned up, I know longer want to make soap. Lather, rinse, repeat. I haven't touch my knitting in over a month, even a simple dishcloth seems too overwhelming. I'm sick to death of "social distancing", "we're all in this together", "Covid-19", "fully vaccinated" and not being able to pick up a breakfast sandwich at Subway because they are out of eggs all the time do to 'supply issues'.

The last I cried all the way home from work. I feel helpless and hopeless. No, not suicidal...just really, really sad. I'm going to call my doctor tomorrow and see about getting a little pharmaceutical assistance.

I think that most of us are suffering from Covid Fatigue or even Covid PSTD...I know that I am struggling. I absolutely love my job. I have a fantastic boss, great co-workers, have most of my clients well-trained, I make a good living, have good benefits. Yeah, the 108 mile round-trip commute sucks some time, but if I need a break I can work from home. I also have a fantastic husband (probably should have put him first). He never complains about how much money I spend on yarn or my yearly knitting retreat (he bought me a new suitcase last year so I would have more room for yarn). He's been very supportive of my soap making and hasn't complained about the bottles of FO and jars of Mica on the desk, or the kitchen counter, or the new mold sitting in front of the microwave...next to a slab mold filled with a bunch more stuff.

About a month or so ago, I started hitting the 'snooze' button. Instead of being the first one in the office, I'm usually the last. Instead of occasionally working from home a couple of days a month, it's a couple of day a week. My work is suffering and we're getting ready to enter our busiest season of the year. I want to make soap, but then I walk into the kitchen and my soap cart is constantly covered with all the crap everyone puts on it. By the time I get all cleaned up, I know longer want to make soap. Lather, rinse, repeat. I haven't touch my knitting in over a month, even a simple dishcloth seems too overwhelming. I'm sick to death of "social distancing", "we're all in this together", "Covid-19", "fully vaccinated" and not being able to pick up a breakfast sandwich at Subway because they are out of eggs all the time do to 'supply issues'.

The last I cried all the way home from work. I feel helpless and hopeless. No, not suicidal...just really, really sad. I'm going to call my doctor tomorrow and see about getting a little pharmaceutical assistance.
PTSD sucks.
What you are describing is classic symptoms of pre-ptsd depression (depression is the wrong word - it's the brain going into protective mode and refusing to engage ... a bit like diabetes, it has flags, and then you actually have it) ... i offer 🤗

I think that most of us are suffering from Covid Fatigue or even Covid PSTD
I know I am...
I am also sorry if you read my unedited reply regarding vaccination. I have been extremely irritable lately and it was unnecessarily harsh. I tried deleting it altogether, but thought that source was a more neutral reply with the same general information.

I get upset about all of this because I believe, or wish it could have been different if we all had acted a different way or taken it more seriously early enough...but now I feel like we're all stuck in this loop...and it really does feel hopeless sometimes

I think that most of us are suffering from Covid Fatigue or even Covid PSTD...I know that I am struggling…

I’m sorry you are struggling so much. I went through that as well early on in this mess. Try to find simple moments of joy and gratitude. If you can’t make soap, plan what your next soap will be. Plan some designs, scents, etc. Make your mind go there first and focus on something you enjoy.

There is a life outside of this virus. It not only affects the body physically but also emotionally and spiritually. My doctor suggested taking daily chelated magnesium lysinate glycinate, in the morning and evening. It made a big difference within a week. I still take it and others I know have had good results. Ask your doctor about it.

I also don’t listen to the news, negativity, or people trying to place guilt on others. I use reason and logic to sort things out. I made up my mind that I’m not going into panic mode or depressed mode for anyone. I pray you find joy and peace.

I can appreciate everything you said ❤️

I can completely relate. I am not even making soap much anymore, even though it really is my release. Been doing some gardening a little. I just get home and I am tired. Not even physically. Mentally tired.

The hospital is miserable. Its not even the covid really. It is the staffing. There are not enough nurses...or any ancillary staff to function.

I went to get a patient from the ER the other day. We have so many new nurses and they are all straight out of school because everybody is leaving. Anyway....this nurse tells me that I must take the pt on a monitor. I know they are short staffed, so I tell her that i will because he was stable, but don't get mad if another tech doesn't do the same. If a patient needs to be on a monitor, then they need a nurse to travel with them...

I get back to the ER and she comes rushing in asking if his sats are ok because he had a lot of drugs before I took him...When I got him to CT scan, the portable monitor was there, the wires were there....nothing was hooked up to the pt. I HOOKED HIM UP when I got to ct. Then she laughed about it.

I got a call from a nurse manager today who was complaining about our travel tech that didn't take something seriously. All I could say was "we need him, its only until Feb 12 and then we are short staffed again, I can't do anything about it. Let it go." She got all high-pitched freak out mode about him taking a patient that was on a cardiac med that he needed a nurse to travel with him. So I told her the story about the nurse that insisted that I take a patient on a monitor. Yeah, we are all in the same boat...

We have had now three patients die in the waiting room because there is no way to monitor them or know that they are out there for something serious. Our entire trauma dept is about to shut down because every single nurse in trauma has already signed contacts for travel jobs.

Guy came in for left sided neck pain and he was triaged as a 4 on the ESI level for a sore throat...he sat there for 6 hours. Later died from cardiac arrest because left neck pain was probably his symptom for a heart attack.

Girl came in yesterday...3 months pregnant. Abdominal pain...we get a lot of this so it was apparently dismissed. Ultrasound said everything was good with the fetus. Smart doctor decided to order a ct scan...complete blockage of the vena cava and portal veins. Such a weird thing. She died i heard. Out in the waiting room too long...but there are just so many people out there.

Everybody keeps saying that they are done, even new nurses, techs, respiratory, etc. I been doing this for 26 years almost but I keep trying to remember why I got into my career. And I keep reminding everybody the same.

Then you have regular stuff to deal with. Our midnight tech was out all week because his mom died. Everybody was pissed that he was out...two years ago the same people would have been like "take all the time you need".

I keep telling people that this is not going to last forever. It is starting to feel like forever...and its depressing

Last edited:
Oh, and then walking into work last week I found this love letter written on a plant...I wanted to just turn around and go home. Just had to remind myself that I had a house to pay for and suck it up and go in. It almost doesn't look real, but i promise you I took the picture myself LOL

tempImageDUGjV1.jpg

catscankim
Our entire trauma dept is about to shut down because every single nurse in trauma has already signed contacts for travel jobs.
My cousin just went to another state on a six week contract for $8000 per week. I don't know if it is part of the problem or part of the fix for this to happen. It would be nice if this might drive up the wages a bit for people who stay.

I do remember my working life and remember also feeling that though money was important, working conditions was right up there with money. The biggest hope in all this might be that some of the stresses that are being highlighted might be forced to be addressed. Fingers crossed.

By the time I had 26 years in my job and living through all the changes that happened during that time, I was wanting nothing but to be able to make it to retirement and be done and I have been running from responsibility every since.

It will probably not last forever and it is not all on your shoulders. Do your best and do not feel guilty for things that are not your responsibility or that are situational but not of your making. You deserve to be part of the equation and should know that it does not matter what others think when you know you are giving more then you are taking. I hope this post helps more than it hurts. Be proud of yourself and don't take the world onto your shoulder as nobody deserve that responsibility put on them.
Wishing you the best.
Cheers
gww

This is true unfortunately. Having worked in pediatrics we saw that with rapid strep tests. I did learn something helpful yesterday from an ED Dr. Since the omicron variant usually starts in the throat ( sore throat being one of the first symptoms) , if you do a home self test, swab the back of your throat first , then your nose as the directions say. It’s an off label technique that’s getting more accurate results. Always something huh? Lol Next time I do home test I’m going to try it 🙄
I wish I’d seen this Friday… my 16 year old stayed home from school with a sore throat and low fever. After driving all over the place… found test. We both tested negative, but only with nose swabs. Everyone else in the house is feeling fine, he’s just experiencing his usual fall/winter allergy/cold stuff with no fever the rest of the weekend. I told him I’d test him again tonight to see make sure it’s safe to send him back to school.

I wish I’d seen this Friday… my 16 year old stayed home from school with a sore throat and low fever. After driving all over the place… found test. We both tested negative, but only with nose swabs. Everyone else in the house is feeling fine, he’s just experiencing his usual fall/winter allergy/cold stuff with no fever the rest of the weekend. I told him I’d test him again tonight to see make sure it’s safe to send him back to school.
Unfortunately this isn’t proven so I was probably out of line to share. I hope you both get better soon! I tested negative too with a nasal swab. Finally starting to get better 👍🏼

I can completely relate. I am not even making soap much anymore, even though it really is my release. Been doing some gardening a little. I just get home and I am tired. Not even physically. Mentally tired.

The hospital is miserable. Its not even the covid really. It is the staffing. There are not enough nurses...or any ancillary staff to function.

I went to get a patient from the ER the other day. We have so many new nurses and they are all straight out of school because everybody is leaving. Anyway....this nurse tells me that I must take the pt on a monitor. I know they are short staffed, so I tell her that i will because he was stable, but don't get mad if another tech doesn't do the same. If a patient needs to be on a monitor, then they need a nurse to travel with them...

I get back to the ER and she comes rushing in asking if his sats are ok because he had a lot of drugs before I took him...When I got him to CT scan, the portable monitor was there, the wires were there....nothing was hooked up to the pt. I HOOKED HIM UP when I got to ct. Then she laughed about it.

I got a call from a nurse manager today who was complaining about our travel tech that didn't take something seriously. All I could say was "we need him, its only until Feb 12 and then we are short staffed again, I can't do anything about it. Let it go." She got all high-pitched freak out mode about him taking a patient that was on a cardiac med that he needed a nurse to travel with him. So I told her the story about the nurse that insisted that I take a patient on a monitor. Yeah, we are all in the same boat...

We have had now three patients die in the waiting room because there is no way to monitor them or know that they are out there for something serious. Our entire trauma dept is about to shut down because every single nurse in trauma has already signed contacts for travel jobs.

Guy came in for left sided neck pain and he was triaged as a 4 on the ESI level for a sore throat...he sat there for 6 hours. Later died from cardiac arrest because left neck pain was probably his symptom for a heart attack.

Girl came in yesterday...3 months pregnant. Abdominal pain...we get a lot of this so it was apparently dismissed. Ultrasound said everything was good with the fetus. Smart doctor decided to order a ct scan...complete blockage of the vena cava and portal veins. Such a weird thing. She died i heard. Out in the waiting room too long...but there are just so many people out there.

Everybody keeps saying that they are done, even new nurses, techs, respiratory, etc. I been doing this for 26 years almost but I keep trying to remember why I got into my career. And I keep reminding everybody the same.

Then you have regular stuff to deal with. Our midnight tech was out all week because his mom died. Everybody was pissed that he was out...two years ago the same people would have been like "take all the time you need".

I keep telling people that this is not going to last forever. It is starting to feel like forever...and its depressing
Cat, I feel for you. I got out the end of 2020. I have two daughters and a son in law in it still. ER Dr, RN, and respiratory therapist. I’m so sorry it’s so very hard on all of you 💕

Unfortunately this isn’t proven so I was probably out of line to share. I hope you both get better soon! I tested negative too with a nasal swab. Finally starting to get better 👍🏼
No worries, it just makes more sense. But he’s the only one sick. I just took a test before work, just because. He only had a fever Friday, so it could be his normal winter cold…. But maybe another test tonight before bed will tell us more.
Glad you’re starting to feel better!

The sore throat ramped up to where it felt really raw.
In March, 2020, at the very beginning of the pandemic, I had several symptoms, including a sore throat. The doctor manning the phone line that night was an ER doc. He said, "The virus lives in the throat. Gargle with warm salt water for 2 minutes." Worked like a charm.

Mix about 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon of salt into 8 ounces of warm water.
Take a large sip, tilt your head back and gargle for about 30 seconds, Then swish the water around in your mouth, teeth, and gums before you spit it out. Repeat for 2 minutes. If after three days, and you still have a sore throat, it’s time to call the doctor.

Back