Coronavirus

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That being said..... We're known for our nurses - they're everywhere lol -

You sure are! I worked with many RNs from your country and LOVED them all. Fun, fun people and fabulous cooks all who brought food to the potlucks! Excellent nurses, too. Didn't want to forget that part.

My friend Jessica was taken off life support on Saturday, and passed within minutes. 💔

My deepest thanks to all of you who prayed for her and for her family.
So sorry @AliOop, I will continue to send prayers to her family as they work through their grief.

My condolences @AliOop

If y'all think you guys have it bad...

Here - an actual third world country - patients are out in tents in hospital gardens. I've seen pics of them near the fountains and parking lots. They've set up wards in the hospital chapels and hallways, and they've taken over nearby schools (which have been closed for more than a year now) and gymnasiums. The government is encouraging people to monitor symptoms at home and only go to the hospital in grave cases.

And that's only counting the people who can afford to pay for their hospital stay. Those who can't stay home and wait to live or die.

It's that bad here. We hit a record of 25k new cases in a single day some months back but it has been getting lower now that they're reporting that the number of vaccinated people are going up.

In our case (my family) we're lucky enough that my sister was monitoring us the whole time, even if she was sick herself, and we didn't get much worse. She, btw, is head of one of the quarantine facilities of Red Cross here. She gave us an oxymeter and as long as it read above 95% we kept calm lol. Take note that all of us were vaccinated (Sinovac) except for my 4yr old and my grandma and surprisingly these two are the ones who did not get sick/show symptoms.

Between the end of September and end of October I lost 4 uncles - 2 due to covid, with only one of them being here in the country. The reason I mentioned him is.... We're also experiencing a shortage in medicines. Us cousins, to help his children, set up a group chat where we could all help looking for the blasted meds. One vial cost above 70k so that's more than 1500 USD and he needed 2. So we had to scramble between ourselves for the cash, and then my cousins just paid us back after. Thankfully he was insured and he had good health care so at least they were refunded a huge chunk. Imagine what happens to those who can't afford this.

His nurses and doctors are overworked, they are under paid, they have no more energy left to deal with difficult patients (like my uncle). With so many patients experiencing the same thing they're spread too thin so I don't even know if anyone in the hospitals are really being looked after as well as they would have been outside this pandemic.

That being said..... We're known for our nurses - they're everywhere lol - but we have awesome doctors here that we just don't export haha coz they earn enough here anyway lol and a lot of them are dying/have died too.
thank you @Dawni , I know we take so much for granted here in the US and are not aware of the situation elsewhere. We hear the numbers, but have no idea what the circumstances are like.
So sorry for the loss of your uncles. That's a lot of loss in a short time.
What an incredible family you have to pull together to find medicine for a family member and what a wonderful example for your children.
Best wishes to you and your family as you work through your grief.

Well, we are recovering here. I was ill on my birthday, which is always fun! It wasn't pleasant, but the admirable lady and our daughter weren't too badly affected. Our son didn't even test positive. I had a very high fever for 10 days, so spent most of the time in bed (but could get up and move around, I wasn't bed ridden)

Two upshots - we now have the same status as vaccinated people here in Austria, so we can certainly ski this season if it is restricted, and in April we are hoping to fly to England to see my family and the timing works for that. The other upshot - I hardly ate for the 10 days so I ended up losing 8 kg! Don't recommend it as a diet option, but my wife likes the end effect!

Well, we are recovering here. I was ill on my birthday, which is always fun! It wasn't pleasant, but the admirable lady and our daughter weren't too badly affected. Our son didn't even test positive. I had a very high fever for 10 days, so spent most of the time in bed (but could get up and move around, I wasn't bed ridden)

Two upshots - we now have the same status as vaccinated people here in Austria, so we can certainly ski this season if it is restricted, and in April we are hoping to fly to England to see my family and the timing works for that. The other upshot - I hardly ate for the 10 days so I ended up losing 8 kg! Don't recommend it as a diet option, but my wife likes the end effect!
So glad you made it through.

I had a friend from Philly die yesterday of covid. There were prayers all over facebook for her all last week. She was more my sisters' friend than mine, but we all lived in the same neighborhood growing up. She ended up getting married to one of my very best childhood friends.

She was on a ventillator all week, which I know is not good as far as covid goes. They almost never get well from there. All the prayers on fb...I knew what the outcome was going to be.

RIP Dawn 12/5/21. Mother of two teenage girls.

My 5yo grandson in Seattle caught Covid - had been scheduled to get the vax two days later. My daughter and her husband, both fully vaccinated, caught it from him and were pretty sick for several days but hopefully are on the mend. Scary that they were vaxed and still got so sick. My husband and I got our boosters two days ago - I also got the flu shot. Amazingly I had no ill effects from either.

My 5yo grandson in Seattle caught Covid - had been scheduled to get the vax two days later. My daughter and her husband, both fully vaccinated, caught it from him and were pretty sick for several days but hopefully are on the mend. Scary that they were vaxed and still got so sick. My husband and I got our boosters two days ago - I also got the flu shot. Amazingly I had no ill effects from either.
Virus vaccines cannot prevent infections but do kick your immune system in quickly so the symptoms don't become life-threatening. Thankfully your daughter and husband did get their shots!! Terribly sorry your little man caught it before his shot. Hopefully he is well soon! And kudos to you and hubby for getting boosters!!

Got my booster today at walmart. Was a little surprised at the wait. First got moderna and to day Pfizer. Went hunting this after noon during extended doe season. Watched four little bucks for an hour. Go figure. I might have been sick as heck and it was hidden with adrenaline. My five year old grandkid tested positive approximately ten days before thanksgiving but the fever broke in two days thankfully. Nobody else in the family tested pos. My wife got her booster two weeks before me but she is not quite the hermit that I am or as lazy.
Cheers
gww

I got my booster on Tuesday and my arm is still sore! Otherwise I am feeling well. My 5 year olds will get their first vaccine right before the new year...but with them in daycare I'm just hoping they don't get sick before they are able to get the vaccine.

So sorry to hear. Hope all are well soon.

Got my booster! I’m bivaxual! Pfizer for 1-2, Moderna for 3. Had a close contact with someone positive on Christmas Day, so I had to cancel all my work for the following week. Thankfully I didn’t have to call clients and tell them I’d been exposed, because there was no crossover. At least I got to make soap! But, it was stressful. Negative PCR test, and a few more days of feeling fine, so back to work. The whole thing is so exhausting.

Got my booster! I’m bivaxual! Pfizer for 1-2, Moderna for 3. Had a close contact with someone positive on Christmas Day, so I had to cancel all my work for the following week. Thankfully I didn’t have to call clients and tell them I’d been exposed, because there was no crossover. At least I got to make soap! But, it was stressful. Negative PCR test, and a few more days of feeling fine, so back to work. The whole thing is so exhausting.
It really is. My adult children and their kids have all had it, most recently my infant granddaughter. They are recovering but the little one was miserable, had a fever, couldn’t sleep. Worrisome.
Glad you are in the clear!

Back