Coronavirus

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Co-vid is here to stay. We will have co-vid vaccines offered each year just like flu vaccines. (Pneumonia vaccines are only necessary every 10 years, so I am leaving them out of this conversation.)

The current vaccines/boosters are the same vaccine, just that if you have not been exposed to Co-vid in between the original set of vaccines and now, your immunity is waning. It was NEVER intended to provide 100% immunity to all variants of this virus. We (anyone who studied what an RNA virus is to begin with, not just medical professionals) knew this was going to mutate, and mutate fast. The only idea behind getting the vaccine was to keep the cases down to a manageable level so the hospitals could continue to provide care long enough to let both the "natural" (meaning you get sick) immunity and the immunity provided by the vaccine protect enough of the population to prevent a mass die off of the population due to lack of hospital beds/staff/ventilators.

And in case anyone spouts that this is not as bad as last year, let me correct you. This is far, far worse. Last year we had mask mandates in Texas and mandatory shut downs. This year, we have mayhem as hospital after hospital shuts its doors to incoming patients. I spoke Friday to hospital after hospital that quoted that they had anywhere between 8-30 people lined up waiting for every bed in the hospital. Not every ICU bed or every ventilator. Every bed.

And while I am not pointing fingers at anyone in this forum, let me tell you what Texas and Louisiana are seeing. It is NOT the vaccinated people taking up hospital beds. The vaccinated are managing their mild cases at home. It is the unvaccinated. Because, you see, no one in the US had ANY immunity to this germ before it came over here. And that means deaths.
Sadly, however, there are two effective drugs that are, for some reason, not being allowed to be prescribed. Ivermecton (spelling is most likely wrong) and Hydroxychloroquine. Both are proven; neither is being used by most doctors. You have a doctor who is willing to “go against the grain” and prescribe. Both were recommended until former President Donald Trump said he was using them pallatively. He did get covid but had a very mild case. Also, in the US, many Democratic legislators said they would not take any vaccine recommended or developed while Trump was President. What do you suppose that did to the confidence level of the American people? Here, where I am from, we can blame vaccine hesitancy on several non-medical narratives. Thankfully, the FDA has approved the vaccine and so now I imagine many more will take the shot(s).

You are correct, we will be living with this virus for a long time to come. We may as well just look at the Covid vaccine as another yearly “shot in the arm.”

Yes, it is incredibly frustrating when trying to make an informed decision only to have folks treat you like you're an idiot. NOT to pick on the OP, but when I read stuff like this: Following the science and using critical thinking really does foster having the best outcomes. There are bumps in the road, but without doubt, the best outcomes. You must be very relieved to be working in such a wise environment! It just makes me angry because I HAVE been following the science***, I have been thinking critically.

And to be honest, you're not helping either because what you have just said above...that because I'm not an "expert", I can't possibly understand.

No, I'm not an attorney though I did work as a paralegal and ran my own LPD business. These days I'm a Senior Staff Accountant for a CPA firm and even though I don't have a degree in business, finance or accounting, those that do consult with me quite frequently.

With that said.....

- You don't need to be an 'expert' to see that there has been a lot of misinformation and conflicting information regarding Covid, or how heavily it was politized (by both sides). Just type it in into any search engine and you will find millions of links...Google gave me 4,220,000 results in 0.62 seconds. Of course, you'll have to use multiple search engines to see the full scope since so many of them limit how far they go back or even what they show. Best to go your local library and pull old newspapers and magazines.

- You don't need to be an 'expert' to know that studying a new disease or virus takes time. Yes, I understand that Covid-19 is part of the 'family of coronaviruses that usually cause mild to moderate upper-respiratory tract illnesses, like the common cold', but therein lies the problem. And I understand that because of SARS and MERS the scientific community was able to quickly identify it as a coronaviruses and start developing strategies for diagnostics, treatments and possible a vaccine, but...this was not SARS or MERS...this was something new.

- You don't need to be an 'expert' to know that it takes time to develop develop treatments, medications, vaccines and hopefully a cure. On the average it takes 10 to 15 years for vaccine development...which is pretty **** good considering that it took 22 years from the initial development to approval for Chicken Pox vaccine. Again, no doubt that development of the Covid-19 vaccine was jump started with previous research with SARS and MERS, but both were still in Pre-Clinicals (animal testing). I get it, we're in the midst of a global pandemic...countries are shut-down, businesses are closed, millions of people are out of work, a lot of people are getting sick, some are even dying. Governments threw billions of dollars in to R&D and then took the most promising of what was being developed and authorized emergency use of...when you consider that there are over 20 vaccines in five categories (RNA, DNA, Adenovirus Vector, Inactivated Virus and Subunit)...the biggest Phase 3 trial ever in history.

- And you sure a heck don't need to be an 'expert' to see what what is missing or what is deliberately being ignored or gets spun...kind like the source that you cited. I was really dizzy after reading it.

“When a new vaccine is introduced into a population, when vaccination rates become very high, we can expect as many and sometimes more cases in the vaccinated population than the unvaccinated — even when the vaccine is doing its job and protecting people at a high rate — because the denominator of number of people vaccinated is so large,”

Does that makes sense to anyone? And doesn't it contradict:

While it’s not known how many visitors to Provincetown were vaccinated, anecdotally many of them were, and data from the state show that prior to the outbreak, virtually everyone in the town had received at least one dose of a vaccine, with 85% or more of each age group fully vaccinated.

“The 74% needs to be put in the context that a very high proportion of the people exposed were vaccinated,” said Hanage. “It suggests that in the absence of vaccination the outbreak would have been much larger.”

So let's say 60,000 and 85% fully vaccinated. That's 51,000 vaccinated and 9000 unvaccinated. Out of 60,000 folks, 469 folks came down with Covid-19; 74% were fully vaccinated, 26% were not. 347 folks out of 51,000 is 0.007 or 0.7%. 122 folks out of 9000 is 0.013 or 1.3%. So technically...it was.

This is the kind of stuff that keeps a lot of people from being vaccinated...feeling like they are being sold a bill of goods. And truth be told...they have been, they still are. But honesty is a double-edge sword. How many of you, had you been told:

So we have these vaccines. They've only been tested with a small number of people so they are still experimental. We know what some of the short-term side effects, but we have no clue what the long-term effects will be because it's only been a few months. Computer models suggest that it's 90% effective against Covid-19, but we really don't know because it's only been a few months. And then there is the issues that viruses mutate and so we don't if it will work against them because we don't know what they will be. We also don't know how long the vaccine will last because again, not enough time.

Would have gotten vaccinated?

But before you answer consider this: There are approximately 333 Million people in the US with 253K cases (0.08%) and 3k deaths (0.001%) to date. We KNOW that masks and physical distancing work, we saw the numbers go down starting in March 2020 and then saw spikes around the Thanksgiving/Christmas holiday 2020 and around Spring Breaks 2021. And we've seen the surge since mandates were dropped in June/July. Speaking solely for myself, until Phase 3 is complete, I think I have better odds of winning the lottery.
My response to Mobjack Bay should not have made you angry. I don't believe I mentioned the word "expert". My reply was meant to be encouraging (her campus has had stellar results from their efforts), and it was not directed at you, it didn't involve you, and it had nothing to do with anything you previously said. Yes, you are correct, there is a lot of misinformation out there, and you are repeating a lot of it on this forum. I sense that it is OK for you to express your opinions, but people who are trained to evaluate this data who don't agree with you are not. You appear to be anxiously fishing everywhere for data that supports your beliefs, and while I understand that, I think it has led to some of your anger. I have been trained to evaluate scientific studies, and even so, I rely on expert sources to guide me in my decision making. It's a very scary time, but venting your anger on other people in this thread is not going to improve your situation.

Sadly, however, there are two effective drugs that are, for some reason, not being allowed to be prescribed. Ivermecton (spelling is most likely wrong) and Hydroxychloroquine. Both are proven; neither is being used by most doctors.

I wasn't aware they had been proven to work, do you have a link to the studies which shows that?

I seem to recall reading that Hydroxychloroquinine had been disproved, and last I checked Ivermectin was still being studied. It's been a while since I looked though.

What @Babyshoes said above regarding ivermectin and hydroxychloroquine.
Also, in the US, many Democratic legislators said they would not take any vaccine recommended or developed while Trump was President. What do you suppose that did to the confidence level of the American people?
U.S. Congressional democrats have a 100% vaccination rate.
Congressional Democrats have a 100% vaccination rate
Thankfully, the FDA has approved the vaccine and so now I imagine many more will take the shot(s).
Sadly, I don't think this is the case. At least among the people I personally know who are not vaccinated, I don't think FDA approval is going to make a difference to them.

Let me ask you this. Exactly what will you need to see and over what period of time before you'd feel comfortable getting vaccinated?

If this is too personal, I apologize but you've been comfortable sharing the reasons why you won't get vaccinated and that you aren't an anti vaxxer so I didn't think it would be too intrusive a question.

Honesty. Transparency. Time. Respect. A better vaccine.

I need to get going, but I'll get back to you this evening.

Sadly, however, there are two effective drugs that are, for some reason, not being allowed to be prescribed. Ivermecton. (spelling is most likely wrong) and Hydroxychloroquine. Both are proven; neither is being used by most doctors.
When I saw this, my eyes bugged out of my head :eek:. I remember treating bunnies years ago with Ivermectin for ear mites and yes, I KNOW, that Ivermectin preparations for animals, are different from human ones. It was something that caught my eye that's all and my memory kicked in.

Sadly, however, there are two effective drugs that are, for some reason, not being allowed to be prescribed. Ivermecton (spelling is most likely wrong) and Hydroxychloroquine. Both are proven; neither is being used by most doctors. You have a doctor who is willing to “go against the grain” and prescribe. Both were recommended until former President Donald Trump said he was using them pallatively. He did get covid but had a very mild case. Also, in the US, many Democratic legislators said they would not take any vaccine recommended or developed while Trump was President. What do you suppose that did to the confidence level of the American people? Here, where I am from, we can blame vaccine hesitancy on several non-medical narratives. Thankfully, the FDA has approved the vaccine and so now I imagine many more will take the shot(s).

You are correct, we will be living with this virus for a long time to come. We may as well just look at the Covid vaccine as another yearly “shot in the arm.”

Trump didn’t have a mild case, he was quite seriously ill, scarily so. They started him on the monoclonal antibodies ( among other things, but I forgot what they were) immediately and he had multiple courses because he initially worsened, and set up a ventilator for him. (my old neighbor, who retired after he left office, was one who helped treat him) After the 3rd treatment was markedly better in 24 hrs. Cost 1/3 of a million dollars ror his total medical care. If I remember correctly, he had 2 more antibody treatments….for insurance. Plus, the treatment was brand spanking new and they probably didn’t know exactly what dose to use.

I only glossed over the article, but some things stood out to me.
First of all, most of the studies included are pre-print, in other words not yet peer-reviewed. Obviously preprints are important during a pandemic, when you want to know results quickly, but it's something to keep in mind.
Furthermore, if you look at the graphs of the meta-analysis (statistical compilation of data from different studies), only 2 studies had statistically significant outcomes. One of those (Elgazzar et al.) recently got retracted over suspicions of plagiarism and data falsification. The other one is getting an awful lot of weight, being the only study in a category.
Lastly, only 3 studies get a perfect score when it comes to bias/study quality, only one of those is included in the meta-analysis and that one is actually reporting a possible negative effect of ivermectin on all-cause mortality.
I think it is concerns like these that prevent most doctors from gladly jumping on the ivermectin bandwagon (even though they probably wished they could, because we all crave a miracle cure).

I eagerly read the article linked, but I have never heard of that publication. And being a nurse in the US that reads everything I can get my hands on about everything medical, and especially regarding this virus, that is saying something. So I went looking for supporting data. And I can't find any from anyone I know of or trust. I know that we are all looking for that miracle prevention/cure, but ivermectin has been thoroughly studied by organizations and has yet to show any real promise on either front. They are still studying it, so we shall see going forward.

I will say, however, if you choose to take it, please, please, please get the human formula prescribed by an actual human medical doctor (if you can). People are taking doses that are way too high of basically cattle wormer, and are not having great outcomes.

These numbers are nowhere near what reputable sources like John's Hopkins/ the CDC are reporting. There have been 37,583,545 cases in the US and the current number of deaths is 625,375 in the US alone. Morbidity is around 1.67%. Which is high...much higher than it should have been.

You are correct. Totally my mistake and I apologize, I had a lot "windows" open and mixed up "World Population" with my state's cases. But something I was thinking about on the way to work...is that none of the numbers really matter. It's like...I'm an accountant, we do Financial Statement preparation for out clients. It should be simple...you made this much money (money in), you spent this much money (money out)...what you have left over is your Net Profit. Kind of. Sort of. Except that the Money Out that is spent towards Liabilities on your Balance Sheet, is not reflected on your Profit & Loss Statement. It's how you can have a Net Profit of $65,000 and yet paid $150,000 towards your loan.

Last night the news made a big deal about how unvaccinated folks are 29% more likely to get Covid than vaccinated...kind of DUH to me, but I'm an information person so I wanted to know...under what circumstances? And what was the percentage of vaccinated folks who were getting Covid...and under what circumstances?

My response to Mobjack Bay should not have made you angry. I don't believe I mentioned the word "expert". My reply was meant to be encouraging (her campus has had stellar results from their efforts), and it was not directed at you, it didn't involve you, and it had nothing to do with anything you previously said. Yes, you are correct, there is a lot of misinformation out there, and you are repeating a lot of it on this forum. I sense that it is OK for you to express your opinions, but people who are trained to evaluate this data who don't agree with you are not. You appear to be anxiously fishing everywhere for data that supports your beliefs, and while I understand that, I think it has led to some of your anger. I have been trained to evaluate scientific studies, and even so, I rely on expert sources to guide me in my decision making. It's a very scary time, but venting your anger on other people in this thread is not going to improve your situation.

Except for the mistake I made earlier, exactly what misinformation am I repeating? If you would like, I would be more than happy to cite my sources which include the CDC, WHO, FDA, Yale Medicine, and John Hopkins Medicine...just to name a few. And no, I don't just rely on information that supports my 'view', I look for information that counters it.

I welcome all opinions...if folks have information that negates mine, I'm all for it because I know that I am fallible. New information is coming out all the time and that's a good thing. What I don't welcome is the treatment that unvaccinated people are receiving which is where my frustration and anger come from.

My choice to be unvaccinated at this time is not done lightly, I have first-hand experience. My youngest daughter had Covid...doesn't matter that she was 30 instead of 13, standing outside her bedroom door listening to her hack up a lung and not being able to do anything to help her in any way...indescribable. My BFF, her daughter got Covid two weeks before mine and went twice to the ER only to be sent back home. A couple of days after she returned to light duty, she told her roommate she was tired and was going to take a nap. She died.

And I have first hand experience of the detriment of trusting 'expert sources'. With my father who died sooner than he should have because we trusted. With my husband who is now permanently disabled and very doubtful we will make it to our 20th anniversary because we trusted. And with myself. To add to myself, I am in the "high risk" category...I have Diabetes. I'm not ready to die yet. I have grandkids that I want to see grow up. Which is why I look at BOTH sides, which is why I am seeking information.

I am now the only one left in my office that is unvaccinated. My boss and co-workers have been very supportive, but he and I know that there will come a point when I will be forced out of the office because of it...simply because we don't have an extra office to 'accommodate' me. And because he doesn't want to have to fire me or single me out, everyone is getting decked out to be able 'work from home'. Within a couple of months, I expect to be working exclusively from home with a specific time to come to the office before anyone else is around to pick up and drop off work. That will make my husband happy, he hates that I commute, but jobs like these don't grow on trees.

I would like to be 'free', but again, not seeing that the grass is so much more greener on the other side of the fence.

Off to work.

@TheGecko experts aren't infallible or perfect but there is something to be gained from specialized education, knowledge and expertise in this and in nearly EVERY field.

Yearly there are mistakes made in hospitals, but that doesn't mean that I wouldnt go to a hospital for care. Or that people should reject hospital care.

Except for the mistake I made earlier, exactly what misinformation am I repeating? If you would like, I would be more than happy to cite my sources which include the CDC, WHO, FDA, Yale Medicine, and John Hopkins Medicine...just to name a few. And no, I don't just rely on information that supports my 'view', I look for information that counters it.

I welcome all opinions...if folks have information that negates mine, I'm all for it because I know that I am fallible. New information is coming out all the time and that's a good thing. What I don't welcome is the treatment that unvaccinated people are receiving which is where my frustration and anger come from.

My choice to be unvaccinated at this time is not done lightly, I have first-hand experience. My youngest daughter had Covid...doesn't matter that she was 30 instead of 13, standing outside her bedroom door listening to her hack up a lung and not being able to do anything to help her in any way...indescribable. My BFF, her daughter got Covid two weeks before mine and went twice to the ER only to be sent back home. A couple of days after she returned to light duty, she told her roommate she was tired and was going to take a nap. She died.

And I have first hand experience of the detriment of trusting 'expert sources'. With my father who died sooner than he should have because we trusted. With my husband who is now permanently disabled and very doubtful we will make it to our 20th anniversary because we trusted. And with myself. To add to myself, I am in the "high risk" category...I have Diabetes. I'm not ready to die yet. I have grandkids that I want to see grow up. Which is why I look at BOTH sides, which is why I am seeking information.

I am now the only one left in my office that is unvaccinated. My boss and co-workers have been very supportive, but he and I know that there will come a point when I will be forced out of the office because of it...simply because we don't have an extra office to 'accommodate' me. And because he doesn't want to have to fire me or single me out, everyone is getting decked out to be able 'work from home'. Within a couple of months, I expect to be working exclusively from home with a specific time to come to the office before anyone else is around to pick up and drop off work. That will make my husband happy, he hates that I commute, but jobs like these don't grow on trees.

I would like to be 'free', but again, not seeing that the grass is so much more greener on the other side of the fence.

Off to work.
I think it would be counterproductive for me to go back and review all your posts for to point out misinformation since my reply to someone else that didn't even involve anything except an encouraging remark to her made you angry. You say above that you are "all for it" when people disagree with you, but based on your recent entry to me, that has certainly not been my experience. I am not going to argue with anyone about this. If you really wish for me to tell you where I think your conclusions are wrong, you can let me know. People make their own choices, and they live with them, just as I do. I give people information based on my education and experience, and that is where my feelings of responsibility end. I do believe that health care professionals are best at slogging through and interpreting the data and its nuances, and I have tried to be helpful to others here on the forum. This is not an emotional issue for me, I am totally data driven and logical about research studies and whether they are valid and reliable. I don't say anything that I think I cannot back up with data.

I am concerned that you are not vaccinated, and I admit that. You are exceptionally high-risk as a diabetic and the Delta variant is rampant. I wish you and yours nothing but luck and good fortune.

Sadly, however, there are two effective drugs that are, for some reason, not being allowed to be prescribed. Ivermecton (spelling is most likely wrong) and Hydroxychloroquine.
My understanding was that these were not preventative but curative (sorry for the fancy words, but they are so descriptive and I don't get to use them together often). Whereas the vaccine is a preventive measure - that is it should prevent you from getting the disease, 80-90% of the time. These two drugs don't prevent you from getting sick, but help cure you once you start getting sick. Is my understanding incorrect?

My heart goes out to you, that's a lot of loss, a lot to process, a lot to forgive, a lot to accept.

As for me, I'm 67, so figured well, it would help keep me alive at least through the pandemic. I do wonder if there will be unforseen long term undesirable side effects, but at least this gives me better chances of living through this pandemic. And at 67, though I want to live much longer, if I get some weird side effect, at least I've had a decent (and sometimes fantastic) life.
I was concerned for my granddaughter, who is in the 12+ group. My concern was for possible unforseen long term detrimental side effects. But now young people in her group are getting ill and dying, so I am glad her Mom had her vaccinated. As for me, I don't think the experts are being dishonest or non-transparent, they are dealing with a relative unknown and are giving the best help and information as it is determined. It will probably be years and years before this disease is completely understood, but I don't want to wait that long to get a jab (as the British say).

I wish for you the best.

I wasn't aware they had been proven to work, do you have a link to the studies which shows that?

I seem to recall reading that Hydroxychloroquinine had been disproved, and last I checked Ivermectin was still being studied. It's been a while since I looked though.
The study that supposedly disproved HCQ's efficacy has been withdrawn. It's very sad that the media heavily publicized the study upon publication, but has completely ignored its withdrawal. Apparently the doctors deliberately gave almost lethal doses of HCQ to near-death patients, and they had conflicts of interest. In other words, the study was deliberately designed to fail. I heard a rumor that these doctors are now under investigation, but cannot find anything to back that up.

In any event, HCQ's efficacy is based on a much, much lower dose, and it must be combined with zinc, which is actually the cure (HCQ is just the vehicle that gets zinc into the cells). This protocol is most effective as an early-stage cure, even for very high-risk individuals who otherwise would be expected to become seriously ill from their C-19 infection. According to the video linked below, if the medical community would get on board with treating people early with this protocol, they could prevent the great majority of the serious cases and deaths.

This video below is an interview with a doctor who successfully used this protocol with an almost 100% success rate in over 6000 C19 patients. He is no slacker, having been nominated for a Nobel prize. Trigger warning: this is a very right-wing show with religious comments throughout. The interviewer is evangelical Christian and doctor is an Orthodox Jew who was one of Trump's medical care providers for COVID treatment. I personally like to hear from all sides of the political and religious spectrum, since the truth is probably somewhere in the middle. If you can look past all that rhetoric, including their theories about the political issues involved, the science of what they discuss is fascinating. I feel very sad that it is being ignored.

Stew Peters Show with Dr. Zev Zelenko

PS - doctors like Dr. Z take a lot of ridicule, abuse, and even death threats, for touting these protocols. One has to ask why they would put themselves through all of that if they didn't have evidence to back up their claims. In case you think their motive is money, Dr. Z lays out the entire protocol right on his website, including the OTC alternative to HCQ, which is quercetin. You can choose to buy his prepackaged version, or purchase the supplements yourself at any place that sells them.

Last edited:
Sorry, I couldn't find this video earlier; it confirms that HCQ is now an FDA-approved off-label treatment for C19. The only significant contraindication for HCQ treatment is a blood disorder that is most common among African-Americans.

Like the video linked in my prior post, this one also emphasizes the need for pre-hospitalization treatment. The doctor says you should demand monoclonal antibodies before being admitted, because for some unknown reason, you cannot receive them once you are admitted, despite their great effectiveness. Lots more great info about starting early treatment, and treating long-haul symptoms.

And unlike the prior video, there is no political or religious commentary in this one. So if you can't bear watching the other one, this one will be much easier for you. :) As a side note, these doctors are seeing equal hospitalization rates for vaxxed and unvaxxed patients. :(

Last edited:
PS - doctors like Dr. Z take a lot of ridicule, abuse, and even death threats, for touting these protocols. One has to ask why they would put themselves through all of that if they didn't have evidence to back up their claims. In case you think their motive is money, Dr. Z lays out the entire protocol right on his website, including the OTC alternative to HCQ, which is quercetin. You can choose to buy his prepackaged version, or purchase the supplements yourself at any place that sells them.

There are cautions with quercetin that should be taken into account if anyone plans to use this supplement. Personally, I am taking at least two (and possibly more) medications that are on the "Interactions" precautions list, so I felt compelled to make others aware that reading these precautions is important in your decision-making process.
https://www.webmd.com/vitamins/ai/ingredientmono-294/quercetin

There are cautions with quercetin that should be taken into account if anyone plans to use this supplement. Personally, I am taking at least two (and possibly more) medications that are on the "Interactions" precautions list, so I felt compelled to make others aware that reading these precautions is important in your decision-making process.
https://www.webmd.com/vitamins/ai/ingredientmono-294/quercetin
Great point, @earlene! 100% I agree that people should consult their doctors about the proper treatment of any illness, esp C19 if you are taking other medications or having underlying conditions. Not every protocol will work for every person. But these videos can provide both doctors and patients with a starting point for treatment considerations. As noted by Dr. Z, HCQ is the preferred delivery method for zinc. He only researched and found out about quercetin as an alternative because HCQ was banned for a short period of time. Now that HCQ is an accepted and allowable treatment protocol, it would be the first-line treatment ahead of quercetin anyway. He also provides a third option in case neither of those two are available or advisable.

To those who fear unknown long-term side effects, the Dutch professor and immunologist Marjolein van Egmond often emphazises that in the history of vaccine development, there have never been any long term side effects years after vaccination.
She's often cited in the Dutch news (NOS), but unfortunately I don't find an Englisch source.

Latest posts

Back