Coronavirus

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Breaking News:
One case in the community found today - the first since February. It's unknown yet if it is the Delta variant. Luckily he has been scanning in on the covid app so we have a trace of where he's been.
Response - Level 4 (highest level) lockdown effective from 11pm tonight for three days until we can see if any other cases evolve. We will know by tomorrow morning if it is the Delta variant, but they are treating it as if it is for now.

Breaking News:
One case in the community found today - the first since February. It's unknown yet if it is the Delta variant. Luckily he has been scanning in on the covid app so we have a trace of where he's been.
Response - Level 4 (highest level) lockdown effective from 11pm tonight for three days until we can see if any other cases evolve. We will know by tomorrow morning if it is the Delta variant, but they are treating it as if it is for now.
Fingers crossed for you all!

So I awoke to find out it is the Delta variant as suspected. Four more people have been found in the community connected to this outbreak. This is the first community outbreak since February - all other cases have been in Managed Isolation Quarantine (MIQ) at the border.
Be aware that it spreads like wildfire, as in NSW, upwards of 400 plus and rising. Our lockdown has been tightened even more, only allowed to travel within your own LGA and for a radius of 5kls outside. Local hospital had a case from oncology.

@KiwiMoose at least NZ stays on top of things. You are a model in Covid management.
Yes - that's why we've gone straight into Level 4 lockdown. Many people complain about the country stopping and causing economic hardship, but at least we have learned from the rest of the world and particularly from our neighbours (@Relle ) that we must go in hard and fast to stop the spread. That's why the decision was made with only 5 hours notice to the general public.
Selfishly, I'm happy about the lockdown because the course convenor was going to run two options for the mid-term test - either come in person and do it on paper like the old days (except open-book), or do it online from wherever you like. Now I don't have to worry about printing, supervising and marking paper-copy tests. Whew!

So I awoke to find out it is the Delta variant as suspected. Four more people have been found in the community connected to this outbreak. This is the first community outbreak since February - all other cases have been in Managed Isolation Quarantine (MIQ) at the border.
The tests for the virus can not distinguish between the different forms of the virus. Just so you know. Those calling it the delta is a political comment.

The tests for the virus can not distinguish between the different forms of the virus. Just so you know. Those calling it the delta is a political comment.
Actually, they DO have the ability to test for the different strains using the sample on the PCR test. If the sample is positive, it will then go through genomic sequencing to determine the variant. It isn't just a political ploy.

@MLSB I actually think KiwiMoose was reporting on the data that came from her government about which strain of the virus had shown up in NZ. She was not reporting anything about herself, I don't think.

Our tiny local health district even can test that & distinguish. We're at 86% Delta right now, per their info.

Yes they can tell what variant of covid a person has. Not only that but they can trace it back to the source in Australia as in "it came from a guy in room 202 of such and such a hotel". We know this in Australia because we've had so few cases (until this last outbreak) and it has been relatively easy.
Science is an incredible thing.

Kiwimoose good on Jacinda Ardern for being proactive. Our state premier was far too slow - worried about personal approval, maybe.

Actually, they DO have the ability to test for the different strains using the sample on the PCR test. If the sample is positive, it will then go through genomic sequencing to determine the variant. It isn't just a political ploy.
That's correct DKing - they did the genome sequencing overnight to find out if it was Delta or not.
Luckily there is good contact tracing in place and they have managed to locate a few places of interest and asked people to self-isolate for 14 days. No new cases from this current outbreak have been reported overnight - so we remain at circa 10 infected. They expect it to go up as high as 125.

Just watched the news this afternoon, after posting above and it's now 681 new cases overnight. Haven't a clue about vaccination rate, I'll chase that info down, I'm sure it will be on the news tonight.

What's the full vaccination rate there Relle?

Unfortunately, in NZ, because we are fairly on top of the virus as a nation, this also meant that we were late to roll out the vaccinations (not being as urgent as in other countries). The vaccinations for the general public (once the border staff and frontline workers had been done) only started a couple of months ago - starting with the over 65s, then the over 60s, then the over 55s...you get the picture. We had just got down to the over 50s when this outbreak struck. So only 19% of the population is fully vaccinated, with approx 33% of people having had only the one dose so far.

I looked up our LGA and the rates are 30-39% fully vaccinated, 1 dose - 60-69% and some spots 50- 59%. I get my 2nd dose in 2 wks as I had to wait 11 wks inbetween shots. I think the GP's were waiting on the vaccine and it took a while. Dh got done in mid May as he has health issues and he was on the list to get done before me. I think that's when they first started.

Our CDC (U.S.) is recommending a 3rd shot, 8 months after the 2nd shot. It is believed necessary in order to keep immunity stronger in light of the Delta variant.
I hope we'll get over our political and "rights" issues regarding face masks soon. I sure would feel safer if all those that can, would wear face masks in public places. Based on what health experts currently know that would still help to cut down on the spread of disease. I am really concerned for young children going back to school. Thank goodness in Virginia primary and secondary schools masks will be mandatory for all students and staff this fall and probably through the entire school year.

Do folks in other countries have such strong opposition to wearing face masks for protection or is it a U.S. thing?

Our CDC (U.S.) is recommending a 3rd shot, 8 months after the 2nd shot. It is believed necessary in order to keep immunity stronger in light of the Delta variant.
I hope we'll get over our political and "rights" issues regarding face masks soon. I sure would feel safer if all those that can, would wear face masks in public places. Based on what health experts currently know that would still help to cut down on the spread of disease. I am really concerned for young children going back to school. Thank goodness in Virginia primary and secondary schools masks will be mandatory for all students and staff this fall and probably through the entire school year.

Do folks in other countries have such strong opposition to wearing face masks for protection or is it a U.S. thing?

We have very vocal opponents to wearing masks here in Canada as well. I find it ridiculous that people can get so bent out of shape about wearing a mask, like it is some great hardship that is stripping them of their full rights without considering the rights of those who are at a greater risk of lost life due to the virus. I just shake my head at the arrogance of some people.

Latest posts

Back