Coronavirus

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wanted to note that herd immunity requires the virus to run out of sufficient viable hosts. Which means it runs out of people to kill and/or spread to others. Personally, I prefer not to volunteer for either. But that’s just me…

Vaccinate don’t vaccinate every single American has the right to choose without pressure from the Government or other individuals!
Yup, you most certainly have the right to take on the risk of death and infection.

Our area is a vacation destination; we've suddenly become a hot spot again, for two reasons. Firstly, now that inter provincial travel is allowed again, we're being inundated with out of province tourists, many of whom haven't been vaccinated. Secondly, young people who haven't been vaccinated are taking the reopening as permission to party and they're getting sick. We've had numerous outbreaks at local nightclubs and restaurants and it's being blamed primarily on unvaccinated partygoers.

Before the reopening, our town had approximately 75% of adults vaccinated with their first dose. Just because you're allowed to travel doesn't mean you should and if you are going to travel, make sure you've been vaccinated so you aren't putting yourself or, more importantly, others at risk.
My husband works right next to a late 20/early 30 something year old. His roommates have been diagnosed with Covid and now the co worker has to be tested as well before he can come to work. My question is, what if he was viral before these guys were diagnosed but just wasn't showing symptoms. My husband and i are just hoping his co worker was clear of the virus the last time they worked together. It is a little anxiety provoking that we may have to suffer the consequences of people who think they are invincible. I hope that you are staying safe!

I wanted to note that herd immunity requires the virus to run out of sufficient viable hosts. Which means it runs out of people to kill and/or spread to others. Personally, I prefer not to volunteer for either. But that’s just me…
True! Herd immunity did not exist until veterinarians began vaccinating entire herds, which denied the diseases hosts to live and reproduce in. Before that, diseases ran through herds unchecked.

My husband works right next to a late 20/early 30 something year old. His roommates have been diagnosed with Covid and now the co worker has to be tested as well before he can come to work. My question is, what if he was viral before these guys were diagnosed but just wasn't showing symptoms. My husband and i are just hoping his co worker was clear of the virus the last time they worked together. It is a little anxiety provoking that we may have to suffer the consequences of people who think they are invincible. I hope that you are staying safe!
Frustrating, isn't it? We're fine; thankfully, we're both vaccinated (x2) and try to stay away from people but you can't stay away from all the people all the time, yanno? Hopefully, your hubby's coworker caught it after he worked with your hubby. I'm back to wearing my mask when I'm out shopping (it helps with the smoke, too).

Frustrating, isn't it? We're fine; thankfully, we're both vaccinated (x2) and try to stay away from people but you can't stay away from all the people all the time, yanno? Hopefully, your hubby's coworker caught it after he worked with your hubby. I'm back to wearing my mask when I'm out shopping (it helps with the smoke, too).
It is very frustrating! We are only vaccinated once so far but I am hoping that his co worker just didn't have it then. He better be tested before he comes back to work as well. Nick was asked if he would mind if the co worker worked nights so that they weren't around one another. I am sorry, but unless they hire someone to come in and disinfect the whole work area before my husband comes in to work each day....that is going to have to be a hard no. I never stopped wearing my mask when I go into stores. It is one of the things that I have felt from the beginning would help reduce transmission if everyone was doing it. Unfortunately about 90% of people don't seem to bother any longer. I will imagine that if numbers pick up even more, Bonnie Henry is going to shut down Kelowna clubs and restaurants and enforce mask use here again. I hope so anyhow. I haven't been inside a restaurant in a year and a half. I can go longer.
ps SUPER over all this smoke. meh!!

It is very frustrating! We are only vaccinated once so far but I am hoping that his co worker just didn't have it then. He better be tested before he comes back to work as well. Nick was asked if he would mind if the co worker worked nights so that they weren't around one another. I am sorry, but unless they hire someone to come in and disinfect the whole work area before my husband comes in to work each day....that is going to have to be a hard no. I never stopped wearing my mask when I go into stores. It is one of the things that I have felt from the beginning would help reduce transmission if everyone was doing it. Unfortunately about 90% of people don't seem to bother any longer. I will imagine that if numbers pick up even more, Bonnie Henry is going to shut down Kelowna clubs and restaurants and enforce mask use here again. I hope so anyhow. I haven't been inside a restaurant in a year and a half. I can go longer.
ps SUPER over all this smoke. meh!!

Honestly, I guess I just got used to the mask and so like 89% of the time, I just wear it inside public places.

The biggest place I don't wear it is at the gym, but the gym is so open and airy and never packed, so I think the social distance remains.

But, in silver lining news, I've saved a bundle on lipstick! I feel like 10% of the time mask wearing is a pain/chore, but like the other 90% of the time its really not a big deal.

Anyways, I want to thank you all for this interesting discussion. I'm hoping that you guys keep it going, I generally like the back and forth.

However, as an aside, I feel somewhat obligated to say that there is no absolute constitutional right to anything. I'm not saying anyone said this, but I think this has become a point of contention.

It is hard.

My aunt is in her late 70s and has multiple comorbities.

She lives in abject fear of the coronavirus. She takes multiple precautions, masks, she doesn't go out very often, she NEVER let's anyone in her house and she stays wiping down her groceries with lysol wipes.

She is essentially a prisoner in her home and she cannot go to family gatherings (if they happen again).

But she steadfastly refuses the vaccine.

She shuts down if you even try to bring it up.

I had a discussion with her about it early on and I think I didn't understand the level of misinformation floating around. And written in such a way that it's easy to understand and seems to "make sense"

Now she feels like everyone is pointing and laughing at her, blaming her or calling her stupid and its making her dig her heels in even more.

I haven't talked to her about it since, but I do worry for her.

Just at my wits end.

Poor thing! I'm so sorry that she's living in so much fear.
There are some anti-coronavax articles out there that sound pretty scary if you haven't taken university level cell biology. My mom has some anti-coronavax friends and sometimes sends me articles or videos that scare her. I can generally ease her mind because most of these articles take a wrong turn at one point or another, but I would also be scared to death by them if I didn't have a good basic understanding of biology.
It sounds like your aunt has made up her mind about the vaccination, so I think the only way you can help her now is to be there for her emotionally. She must be suffering so much! Try to stay in touch with her in ways that make her still feel safe.

It is the rudeness, and personalization of the issue, that I find most appalling and distasteful.

I agree, but unfortunately such has become the norm.

Why is it that no one talks about the reason for increase in this darn virus????

with the increased number of illegals who are allowed to come into the USA and who are positive for the virus and then are shuffled off the states which IS THE #1 Reason for the increase in the new strain

what about the Cleveland Clinic study stating that if you had the virus you don’t need to be vaccinated????? Honestly if you HAD the virus then you ARE protected and I would NEVER take a vaccine.

this whole new level of control that the current administration is trying to implement on the American people is unlawful and against our freedom which is backed by our constitution!

Vaccinate don’t vaccinate every single American has the right to choose without pressure from the Government or other individuals!

honestly until the illegals are STOPPED from entering the USA, we will never see and end to this darn virus increase!

WOW. I certainly hope your can back up all these statements with factual information, but I'll go ahead and give you a hand.

There have been four variants to date...Alpha came out of the UK, Beta came out of South Africa, Gamma came from Brazil and the latest...Delta has come out of India. You are more than welcomed to correct me, but I know of no illegal immigration coming from any of those countries. The folks crossing, or rather trying to cross our southern borders are from Central America and Mexico.

Currently, the only folks from the south that have been allowed in to the US have been unaccompanied minors or minors with adults who are not parents or legal guardians. The majority of these children are being held in camps until their families can be found.

Regarding the Cleveland study...really? A two paragraph news release with NO links to the actual study and you're accepting it as truth?!? And did you not read the second paragraph:

"This is still a new virus, and more research is needed. It is important to keep in mind that this study was conducted in a population that was younger and healthier than the general population. In addition, we do not know how long the immune system will protect itself against re-infection after COVID-19."

Please point me to the part of the Constitution that discusses pandemics and vaccinations.

And your last statement makes it very clear that you know absolutely NOTHING about pandemics or how viruses work. Neither care about the color of your skin, what God or Gods you worship or don't, what your gender is, who you have sex with or what your citizenship status is. Covid was brought into this country by LEGAL folks who had been traveling and came home.

Yup, you most certainly have the right to take on the risk of death and infection.

Seriously...you go from this: "It is the rudeness, and personalization of the issue, that I find most appalling and distasteful." to saying stuff like the above?

Poor thing! I'm so sorry that she's living in so much fear.
There are some anti-coronavax articles out there that sound pretty scary if you haven't taken university level cell biology. My mom has some anti-coronavax friends and sometimes sends me articles or videos that scare her. I can generally ease her mind because most of these articles take a wrong turn at one point or another, but I would also be scared to death by them if I didn't have a good basic understanding of biology.
It sounds like your aunt has made up her mind about the vaccination, so I think the only way you can help her now is to be there for her emotionally. She must be suffering so much! Try to stay in touch with her in ways that make her still feel safe.

Thank you.

It's hard because sometimes i just want to shake her, because I'm scared for her too!

But I feel bad for her because, as I said before, I know the fear I felt and how much stress it created. No one wants to die suffocating to death.

But at this point I keep in touch and we just talk and chat. I say nothing about vaccinations or the virus or anything and I mostly listen.

You're right, it's all I can do. Google is a blessing and a curse.

It is a little anxiety provoking that we may have to suffer the consequences of people who think they are invincible.

if it Would give you piece of mind (and it’s available by you) the binax COVID test that they now sell at Walgreens and Walmart looks to be the same one my work uses (I work in a licensed adult foster care home in the US, we have to give residents weekly tests). It’s just a nose swab and a 15 minute wait.

obviously not 100% but a piece of mind while you wait on the coworker

if it Would give you piece of mind (and it’s available by you) the binax COVID test that they now sell at Walgreens and Walmart looks to be the same one my work uses (I work in a licensed adult foster care home in the US, we have to give residents weekly tests). It’s just a nose swab and a 15 minute wait.

obviously not 100% but a piece of mind while you wait on the coworker
We live in Canada, and as far as I know, we don't have a for purchase covid test here. I appreciate the idea though, and wish we had the same resources here.

@Misschief I called it on masks being required again for Kelowna. I just don't know how they will enforce it with restaurants and clubs still open. There is no way those people are going to be wearing them, and they are the ones driving up the numbers.

We live in Canada, and as far as I know, we don't have a for purchase covid test here. I appreciate the idea though, and wish we had the same resources here.

@Misschief I called it on masks being required again for Kelowna. I just don't know how they will enforce it with restaurants and clubs still open. There is no way those people are going to be wearing them, and they are the ones driving up the numbers.
You did. I wasn't surprised to hear it today. I hate that it's a blanket thing, though. We're doing everything right at our market but we now have to wear them indoors as well. Oh well, I'm just happy I have a number of comfortable masks I don't mind wearing. And on the plus side, they even keep out the smell of the smoke.

Thank you.

It's hard because sometimes i just want to shake her, because I'm scared for her too!

But I feel bad for her because, as I said before, I know the fear I felt and how much stress it created. No one wants to die suffocating to death.

But at this point I keep in touch and we just talk and chat. I say nothing about vaccinations or the virus or anything and I mostly listen.

You're right, it's all I can do. Google is a blessing and a curse.

That's probably the best you can do for her now, making sure she knows she's loved. I know it's hard.. I have a friend who doesn't want to get vaccinated because she's pregnant (even though that's a huge risk factor if she would get covid). She's afraid of possible long term side effects, even though the chances of those from vaccines are extremely low and she doesn't think about possible long-term negative effects of a covid infection during pregnancy. I thought she might just be really careful not to get infected, but then she hopped on a plane to Burundi a few weeks ago (I think she might already have been in her 3rd trimester by then). I will never understand her logic in making that decision.

And what is the population of New Zealand compared to that of the US? I think we are doing fine considering our numbers.
I would be careful of dismissing NZ and Australia’s response to covid.

In the USA There have been 1,889 deaths from covid per million population
In New Zealand 5 deaths per million population
In Australia 36 deaths per million population

These statistics might be even further apart in actuality because in NZ and Australia all deaths from covid (at home or in hospital) are included in our numbers.

I won't be rushing into having a vaccine, but I *may* get one further down the line. Fortunately for NZers, the issue is not as pressing because we can count on one hand how many active cases there are ( and they are in managed isolation).
My opinion about the vaccine would no doubt be vastly different were I living in a region that was badly affected by COVID-19.
Kiwimoose we had a few fence sitters in Oz too until this latest Delta strain out break that originated from one unmasked and unvaccinated taxi driver who drove some airline staff to their homes. Now there is a rush to get vaccinated, but, unfortunately we just don’t have enough doses to go around. At last we have prospects of getting a lot more Pfizer over the next few months. Our borders will be closed at least until the end of the year. Thank goodness for the NZ/Oz bubble!

Kiwimoose we had a few fence sitters in Oz too until this latest Delta strain out break that originated from one unmasked and unvaccinated taxi driver who drove some airline staff to their homes. Now there is a rush to get vaccinated, but, unfortunately we just don’t have enough doses to go around. At last we have prospects of getting a lot more Pfizer over the next few months. Our borders will be closed at least until the end of the year. Thank goodness for the NZ/Oz bubble!
The only people using that bubble are those who have have families spread across the two countries it seems. I know that not many Kiwis want to take the risk of flying over there with it being so rampant. So sorry for you guys with this recent surge in cases.
On a brighter note - many Kiwis are now touring our own country doing all the sight-seeing we've been meaning to do for years! We can't go overseas, so we look around out own country for a change - and bonus! - no busloads of tourists getting in our way :dance:

We are in lockdown until end of August when it will be reviewed, so that's 2 months. I've had 1 vaccination and the 2nd one is due early sept. 😷

- and bonus! - no busloads of tourists getting in our way :dance:
Unfortunately for Australia and NZ, tourists keep the economy turning over. No tourists, no money for businesses etc. Travelling here at the moment is almost impossible with lockdowns happening at the drop of a hat, between states, so we can't even support our own tourist places. We can't go any further than 10kls from home.

Back