Coronavirus

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Time for my pain pill, elevation & ice...
FWIW, Vitamin C is the "healing vitamin".
Whenever I have surgery on the horizon, I take
1000 IU vitamin C 3 X a day, with meals...
for 3 days before the procedure and
for 1 week after the procedure. That's all.

It sounds like an excessive amount but the body takes what it needs and flushes the rest in the form of pretty bright yellow pee. LOL If you try this, you and your surgeon will be amazed at the amount of healing that takes place in a short amount of time.

I did this recently when I had a growth removed from my eyelid. The worst part was the needle injected to deaden the pain prior to the surgeon taking a scalpel and deftly lopping off the mass. Biopsy was negative. It's been five weeks now. The open wound is completely closed (without stitches) and I can barely see the scar.

My mandatory pre-op CoVid test was negative, as anticipated.

My thumb joint may have had some bone removed, but I don't know for sure, since I don't remember talking to my surgeon post-op. Pre-op he said he might need to take a bit (a Wedge of bone) out. Post-op he talked to Hubby, but either he didn't say much or Hubby didn't really comprehend all of it; could be either. My pinky finger has stitches, I think, because it seemed like I could feel them yesterday when I moved the finger too much (I'm not sure how, maybe a reflex attempt to bend it when trying to exercise the adjacent fingers.)

Time for my pain pill, elevation & ice...

You chop those peppers, lady! I wouldn't have thought about trimming my nails either...
So glad your test was negative and that the surgery is done. Praying for a quick progress in recovery!

FWIW, Vitamin C is the "healing vitamin".
Whenever I have surgery on the horizon, I take
1000 IU vitamin C 3 X a day, with meals...
for 3 days before the procedure and
for 1 week after the procedure. That's all.

It sounds like an excessive amount but the body takes what it needs and flushes the rest in the form of pretty bright yellow pee. LOL If you try this, you and your surgeon will be amazed at the amount of healing that takes place in a short amount of time.

I did this recently when I had a growth removed from my eyelid. The worst part was the needle injected to deaden the pain prior to the surgeon taking a scalpel and deftly lopping off the mass. Biopsy was negative. It's been five weeks now. The open wound is completely closed (without stitches) and I can barely see the scar.
High doses of vit C cause diarrhea (FMMV, but this is me), so I have to keep it to 500mg daily. I am also on an immunomodulator med, which is closely monitored, so that is another concern in my case. All my meds & OTC's are monitored, btw.

Sharing here from another thread where it was being discussed:

As a (retired) nurse, let me share a few tips for future vaccinations recipients:

4 items for up-front (prior to/at time of)
  • Don't tense up. Rigid muscle during injection -> more pain. Take a few deep breaths ahead of time, meditate, whatever helps you relax, soft music, listen to/watch a comedian - aside from getting sloshed 😏
  • Bring an ice pack with you, and place it on your arm (deltoid area) for a few minutes prior to your turn for injection.
  • Avoid taking prophylactic acetaminophen, aspirin or other NSAIDs, although they can prevent/diminish some uncomfortable effects of vaccination, per recent studies on effects of NSAIDs on antibody production, may be counter-productive (link) If in doubt, contact your personal physician.
  • ASK the person who administers the vaccination if massaging the site of injection is advisable (sometimes, yes, sometime, no.)

Immediately afterward & for the next day or so:
  • Move your arm around after injection (immobility of that arm can lead to more pain.)
  • Avoid NSAIDs as indicated above until medical advice changes (contact your physician for advice as needed)
  • Warm pack at injection site periodically can help reduce pain.

Call your doctor if:
  • High fever,
  • Signs of allergic reaction: difficulty breathing, rapid heart rate, hives or rash, dizziness, sudden weakness, pallor.

If anyone else has anything to add that will help folks prepare for the vaccine, please do. I am sure I haven't thought of every helpful tip.

Sharing here from another thread where it was being discussed:

As a (retired) nurse, let me share a few tips for future vaccinations recipients:

4 items for up-front (prior to/at time of)
  • Don't tense up. Rigid muscle during injection -> more pain. Take a few deep breaths ahead of time, meditate, whatever helps you relax, soft music, listen to/watch a comedian - aside from getting sloshed 😏
  • Bring an ice pack with you, and place it on your arm (deltoid area) for a few minutes prior to your turn for injection.
  • Avoid taking prophylactic acetaminophen, aspirin or other NSAIDs, although they can prevent/diminish some uncomfortable effects of vaccination, per recent studies on effects of NSAIDs on antibody production, may be counter-productive (link) If in doubt, contact your personal physician.
  • ASK the person who administers the vaccination if massaging the site of injection is advisable (sometimes, yes, sometime, no.)

Immediately afterward & for the next day or so:
  • Move your arm around after injection (immobility of that arm can lead to more pain.)
  • Avoid NSAIDs as indicated above until medical advice changes (contact your physician for advice as needed)
  • Warm pack at injection site periodically can help reduce pain.

Call your doctor if:
  • High fever,
  • Signs of allergic reaction: difficulty breathing, rapid heart rate, hives or rash, dizziness, sudden weakness, pallor.

If anyone else has anything to add that will help folks prepare for the vaccine, please do. I am sure I haven't thought of every helpful tip.

DO NOT get the second injection in the same arm as the first.

DO NOT get the second injection in the same arm as the first.

Any particular reason?

My second injection (Pfizer) was in the same arm and I had fewer issues than the first shot. or was I supposed to have a bigger reaction the second time?

My husband and I got the Moderna vaccines the same week as four of my co-workers and their spouses(all of us in healthcare, all of us with other diagnoses). All of us that got it in the same arm had a miserable 2-3 days with muscle soreness everywhere, low grade fevers, malaise, fatigue, sore arms. All the rest of us who didn't had a slightly sore arm that evening.

Just wanted to give everyone a heads up, as we were warned going into the second vaccine not to get it in the same arm. And I don't recall seeing that information anywhere else.

I experienced re-entry into something that approaches “normal” this week. I spent Thursday and Friday in my workplace office for the first time in over a year. I’ve seen my work team on Zoom or talked by phone multiple times a day every weekday, but in person only a few times since last March. It was good to be together again, and with them it was almost like the pandemic never happened. Then today I participated in a commencement ceremony that had 1000s of attendees. It was outside, we adhered to distancing rules and there was plenty of space, but it sure felt surreal.

We are so lucky here - we currently have 23 COVID cases in the entire country - all in managed isolation centres at the border (where they were identified upon entry to the country). We have been operating 'normally' for 8 or 9 months now with the exception of our largest city, Auckland, which had a temporary partial lockdown for about 5 days earlier this year. We still have QR codes up at every location (stores, community venues etc) that some people scan, and some people don't. Just to help with tracking if we do have another outbreak.

Wow, I'm looking forward to getting something like that going here. Up until last week there were police checkpoints on the roads to make sure you were only going within 5km or you had a valid reason (medical, buying animal supplies and such).

I joined my current team just over a year ago (during the first lockdown) and although I knew some of them previously, none of us have met in person since then. There have been quite a few hired since who have never met any of us, including our manager, in person, and have never been to the office...

It's going to be really strange when things start to change back. My husband was able to register for his vaccination the other day and I'm expecting my chance will come very soon.

Wow, I'm looking forward to getting something like that going here. Up until last week there were police checkpoints on the roads to make sure you were only going within 5km or you had a valid reason (medical, buying animal supplies and such).

Wow, I would be screwed. I don't have much at all besides houses in that distance.

Wow, I would be screwed. I don't have much at all besides houses in that distance.
Yeah, we don't have much other than fields in that distance! We got stopped a lot but we were never traveling without a proper reason; mostly to get our prescriptions or to buy chicken food. All non-essential businesses were closed anyway so there wasn't a lot of places to go!

Well, I'm up for my first vaccine shot tomorrow, wish me luck!

Interestingly I noticed this in the info sheet (Pfizer vaccine):
If you have had an immediate allergic reaction to any other vaccine, injectable therapy or polysorbate 80, you should talk to your doctor before getting the COVID-19 vaccine.

That polysorbate really is used for everything, isn't it? 🤣

Well, I'm up for my first vaccine shot tomorrow, wish me luck!

Interestingly I noticed this in the info sheet (Pfizer vaccine):

That polysorbate really is used for everything, isn't it? 🤣
Absolutely everything. Now I kind of want to know what systems in my body benefit from having an emulsifier injected into them.
Good luck with your vaccine!

Latest posts

Back