Coronavirus

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On the positive side of things, my immune-compromised 64yo husband, my 90yo father with late-stage congestive heart failure, and my 86yo mother with a variety of health issues all got COVID, as did I.

For my husband and I, it was like a bad flu. For my parents, it was nothing more than a bad cold. They are all fully recovered, and I (the healthy one of the bunch) am still slowly regaining my sense of smell but have no other lasting effects.

We were very fortunate to be in the 90+% of the people who get COVID and do recover. I don't say that to minimize the potential severity, or to suggest that you don't need a vaccine or a mask. But for our own mental health, and that of those we love, it is healthy to remind ourselves that the likelihood of getting or giving a severe case to someone is statistically pretty low.

The risk of getting in a bad car accident is much higher, but we don't stop driving; we have just mentally decided not to dwell on those very real risks. And that is appropriate! Once you take all the appropriate driving precautions (wearing a seatbelt and your prescription glasses), it is not helpful to drive in a state of terror over the risk of an accident. Be cautious, yes. Practice defensive driving, yes. But avoid driving with elevated anxiety that will actually increase your accident risk.

The same is true of disease: the elevated level of anxiety caused by constant bombardment of bad news will actually make you more susceptible to being sick. Source. So yes, do all the recommended things to avoid the spread of disease. After that is done, practice the same compartmentalization that we have all learned to do regarding the risk of driving. Choose not to dwell on it, because dwelling makes things worse, not better.

Experts like the one reference above are unanimous that of the best things we can do for our physical health, and that of our loved ones, is to take very good care of our mental health. That includes withdrawing a bit from the onslaught of bad news. Not because you want to pretend it doesn't exist, but because it doesn't help you.

Of course, our first responders don't have this luxury of pulling back a bit; it is in their face all day, every day. But the rest of us can choose to limit our exposure to anxiety-producing news. You can turn off the news and only scan those headlines once every two to three days - or even once a week. Give your body and immune system a break from those jolts of anxiety!

My continuing professional education classes are unanimously recommending that very action as a way to remain emotionally and mentally healthy... which increases the likelihood that I will also stay physically healthy. And when I know I've done all that I can to maximize my health, that supports the positive feedback loop within all my body systems.

Yes, I could get COVID, or have a bad car accident, or be diagnosed with cancer in the next minute. But I don't want to lose my joy of living right now, when those things are not my present reality.

I hope that makes sense and comes across as an encouragement to those of you who are truly suffering. Anxiety is a horrible affliction, and if there is any way that we can support one another through this, let's do that. 💜

I can’t love your words of encouragement any more. You are 100% correct and I appreciate everything you said. ♥️

With this now seemingly spreading swiftly around the world, I wondered whether any of our members are directly or indirectly affected?
I had it early on and am immune compromised so I've been under lockdown ever since. I rarely leave my appointment for my safety and when I do go out for an appointment or if I want to grocery shop with a family member I gamble getting sick for 1-3 months at a time. It's been rough.

I'm "young" so I may not get my dose of vaccine till September due to losing my dr right before all this crap went down.

My husband & I got our 2nd doses of Moderna 2 days ago & my disabled son was vaccinated yesterday with his first dose of the pfizer vaccine. He finally agreed to get the 2-dose vaccine because I couldn't find anywhere locally that was giving the one-dose Janssen vaccine. It almost didn't happen because he gets too easily frustrate with anything medical related, but he did get the injection. I am very happy about this progress forward.

I am also happy that I have had no side effects/adverse symptoms. My husband felt muscular soreness yesterday and missed a day of work because he had so much trouble sleeping due to the discomfort, but he is fine today. All I had was the usual very slight tenderness at the site of injection, but only if I touch it.

Being quite comfortable with injections, I do not tense up; I always watch the injection as it is being given; I rarely have any reaction. Overall, I am fortunate in that way.

My son, DIL & granddaughter want me to come visit with Kitty Baby in April. I may, but I have surgery on April 7th on my right hand, so have to see how well my hand recovers and if I can safely drive. I'll surely be going with my son for his 2nd CoVid vaccination injection (as moral support and to ensure he doesn't walk out when he gets frustrated with the process), the day after surgery. I won't be driving that day, but I will be recuperating, I hope.

Anyway, I hope my younger son & granddaughter can get their vaccines by then. Both are what are considered front-line workers in Texas, so I'd feel better if they get their vaccines, although we spent months together prior to me being vaccinated and nothing untoward happened. We all miss each other and they all miss Kitty Baby.

I had my first dose of the Moderna vaccine 10 days ago and was so grateful in that moment to be on my way to lowered risk of infection. I took a couple of tylenol the first morning after the shot, but then remembered that it may be best to let the body respond. My arm was very sore and I was tired the next day, but I was nearly 100% by day two.

As I look back over the last year, it’s so strange to realize that I’ve spent the vast majority of my days alone sitting in front of a computer on zoom in a 9x9 room. When this is finally over and it’s safe to be together again, I’m going to throw a big party, dance, laugh, and hug everyone I can.

I had some mild reactions to the j&j shot, really sore arm and swollen lymph in my arm pit but that happens with regular flu vaccinations too. Had a couple days where I just felt ran down and a little foggy, slept more then normal.

Feeling fine today, arm is still a little sore and the lymph is still swollen, it could last another week.
Doctors have been unable to determine why my lymph glands swell like they do, its not a normal side effect. Sometimes its really bad and painful enough I can't put my arm down for days.

I had some mild reactions to the j&j shot, really sore arm and swollen lymph in my arm pit but that happens with regular flu vaccinations too. Had a couple days where I just felt ran down and a little foggy, slept more then normal.

Feeling fine today, arm is still a little sore and the lymph is still swollen, it could last another week.
Doctors have been unable to determine why my lymph glands swell like they do, its not a normal side effect. Sometimes its really bad and painful enough I can't put my arm down for days.
If it's any consolation, the same thing happens to me when I get just about any type of vaccine (prior military), tetanus being the only exception that comes to mind. Never so bad that I couldn't put my arm down, but bad enough that I would elevate it as much as possible. I never thought to ask anyone why this would happen. I'm not a Dr., but I do know my body and I know usually the first lymph nodes that swell or become tender when I start to get sick are not the glands in my neck, but the glands in my armpits. Also, during routine exams my GP would examine the armpit nodes as well as the neck area nodes. I never questioned it because it made sense to me given what I knew about my body. So, there must be something that's "ok" "normal" about it... ??

Last edited:

I also get swelling in my lymph glands after the flu jab and when I'm run down. I have CFS/ME though, and that's a common reaction amongst many, many other wierd symptoms.

I have my first jab booked tomorrow afternoon, won't know which one it is until I get there though, depends on what they have been able to get that day. I'm expecting a strong reaction, given how I tend to react to the flu jab and how other folks with CFS/ME have reacted to it, so planning easy food and plenty of rest for a couple of days after it...

I also get swelling in my lymph glands after the flu jab and when I'm run down. I have CFS/ME though, and that's a common reaction amongst many, many other wierd symptoms.

I have my first jab booked tomorrow afternoon, won't know which one it is until I get there though, depends on what they have been able to get that day. I'm expecting a strong reaction, given how I tend to react to the flu jab and how other folks with CFS/ME have reacted to it, so planning easy food and plenty of rest for a couple of days after it...

Thats really interesting. I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia years ago and one doctor suggested cfs also. Unfortunately, most doctors around here don't believe in either so its impossible to get any treatment.

The only reaction I seem to have had from the one dose vaccine given yesterday is a slightly sore arm but also a very strange sensation at the injection site. It’s like tiny muscle twitches that feel kind of like a tapping directly on the area where it was injected. Very strange. They were happening constantly yesterday but have lessened today. Anyone else feel something like this?

Well, I was Covid positive on Mar 4. Quite shocked. I've been so careful, wear a mask etc. I am still recovering. Have sinus congestion that just won't budge--and with that my sense of smell is pretty much non existent. I do get a few breakthrough smells but not much (frustrating for a soap maker though!)

But, I recognize that my problems are nothing to that of other people's suffering. My grandfather actually passed from it, so I'm thankful that my complaints are so mild. I actually feel more paranoid about giving it to other people than I was about catching it.

With having it now, I am curious about the vaccine and what kind of reactions I may or may not have.

Well, I was Covid positive on Mar 4. Quite shocked. I've been so careful, wear a mask etc. I am still recovering. Have sinus congestion that just won't budge--and with that my sense of smell is pretty much non existent. I do get a few breakthrough smells but not much (frustrating for a soap maker though!)

But, I recognize that my problems are nothing to that of other people's suffering. My grandfather actually passed from it, so I'm thankful that my complaints are so mild. I actually feel more paranoid about giving it to other people than I was about catching it.

With having it now, I am curious about the vaccine and what kind of reactions I may or may not have.
If you haven't already, do take a look at the CDC guidance regarding when to take the vaccine after infection, or speak with your medical doctor if you have not as yet. (link - skip to this section: COVID-19 vaccination and SARS-CoV-2 infection).

This article may help with your curiosity about what to expect: Why vaccine side effects might be more common in people who've already had COVID-19

Thank you.

I saw an interesting interview with a doctor on Dr Oz and he was saying they are studying and may recommend that people who have been infected already may only require one dose of the moderna or Pfizer as a booster to ensure their full immunity..That would also free up more vaccine for those who haven’t been infected.

Thats really interesting. I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia years ago and one doctor suggested cfs also. Unfortunately, most doctors around here don't believe in either so its impossible to get any treatment.

I've had fibro since 1999. I had many doctors over the years that didn't believe in it. Now, since there is an actual blood test that can prove fibro, I find many doctors no longer have sheer disbelief when I tell them I have it. If your doctor expresses disbelief, you need a new/younger doctor.

I haven't found any effective treatment for it, but I still do my research just in case they do find something. My insurance doesn't classify the test as anything other than experimental, so it would be >$1000 to have it done. I am appealing that as I want to be in on any studies in case they do find a treatment.

I've had fibro since 1999. I had many doctors over the years that didn't believe in it. Now, since there is an actual blood test that can prove fibro, I find many doctors no longer have sheer disbelief when I tell them I have it. If your doctor expresses disbelief, you need a new/younger doctor.

I haven't found any effective treatment for it, but I still do my research just in case they do find something. My insurance doesn't classify the test as anything other than experimental, so it would be >$1000 to have it done. I am appealing that as I want to be in on any studies in case they do find a treatment.
Susie, is it possible to find a clinical trial or study that will also perform the test as a part of the trial and therefore be free to you?

It is annoying how insurance companies limit and restrict, right?

Susie, is it possible to find a clinical trial or study that will also perform the test as a part of the trial and therefore be free to you?

It is annoying how insurance companies limit and restrict, right?

I have tried over and over. I live in DFW, so we are a major metropolitan area. We have clinical trials all the time. I am signed up on multiple websites for clinical trials.

I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia a bunch of years ago. Peoples non-beliefs stem from not having an actual test to diagnose it other than a clinical evaluation, as well as tests to rule-out any kind of arthritis.

The Rheumatologist that I was seeing suggested taking Turmeric instead of prescribing pain pills, which I hate anyway.

The only reaction I seem to have had from the one dose vaccine given yesterday is a slightly sore arm but also a very strange sensation at the injection site. It’s like tiny muscle twitches that feel kind of like a tapping directly on the area where it was injected. Very strange. They were happening constantly yesterday but have lessened today. Anyone else feel something like this?

I used to get that twitching when I would get my allergy shots when I was younger...right at the injection site. But it would only last about an hour or so. It's probably just a little reaction to your body not being happy about something foreign being introduced. Maybe try a benadryl?

Latest posts

Back