Coronavirus

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As of today, in the U.S. there are 20 million positive cases of Covid, 12 million recovered and 356,000 deaths caused by Covid.
Thank you for all these stats. Do you have sources so I can share, please? I've looked at CDC and I've had a hard time selecting the data so that I can see the numbers as you've summarized them.

Thank you for all these stats. Do you have sources so I can share, please? I've looked at CDC and I've had a hard time selecting the data so that I can see the numbers as you've summarized them.
@KimW These are the sites I rely on for Covid info. The Canada site breaks down the rates by province but does has a global section (link at the top) that has stats by country. the US site has a breakdown by state.
https://www.covid-19canada.com/https://www.covid-19us.live/

Well, if all travel were banned between states or whatever municipalities may be called in our various locales, where would our food come from? How would PPE's get delivered? How would we get our soap-making supplies? How would hand sanitizer end up in the hands of those who need them? Who would repair essential equipment when it breaks down? There is so much done that is totally dependent on interstate & international travel, to assume that we can just close the roads to all traffic is naive. And our Congressfolk have to travel to do the business of running our democracy, in fact, so shutting down the airports would halt that process as well.

And how would people who have to return home get back home? Or people that have to move to find a new place to live (for whatever reason), how will they get there if they can't travel to their new home? Not everyone started in a place where they can actually stay indefinitely when this pandemic hit or when a new wave hit, either.

Anyway, I do agree that reasonable travel restrictions are necessary and that unnecessary travel should be avoided. But people are going to do what they are going to do and it cannot all be prevented even with the most stringent policies in place.

So I just got back from moving my son 2100 miles across country. He had to move. He could not do it on his own. I had to go back there to help him. It was the only way to make it happen safely and to ensure he would not end up stranded somewhere along the way. In fact, if I had not been there, he may well have ended up in a psych ward, jail, stranded in a snow storm in Colorado, or dead. Any of those things were an absolutely real possibility given his circumstances. And his dog would have suffered as well, and would also have ended up stranded who knows where had any of those things happened. So I did the right thing by my son, his dog and my conscience. I rented a vehicle and drove out to get him and we caravaned as far as over the mountain range in Colorado until his car gave out, then I rented a storage unit for some of his stuff and drove him & his dog the rest of the way here so he would have a safe place to live. Tomorrow my husband is driving to Colorado to get his stuff from storage and bringing it back here. I was going to do that myself, but he volunteered to take on that burden and give me a few extra days of much needed rest, for which I am extremely grateful. He's a good man. And my son is close-by now and I can better keep track of his welfare, even though he is an adult and I wish he could manage it all by himself.

There are so many people in the world who cannot make it on their own without the help of others, and travel is sometimes a necessary part of providing that help. So I am against the idea of absolute travel bans. They make no sense unless as a society we also endorse starvation and isolation to the detriment of life.

In the course of my travels to and from my son's home, I adhered to strict CoVid precautions, more so than some state residents in all the states I drove through, both at gas stations (had to use the restrooms) and in hotels (couldn't sleep in the car in the dead of winter in any of said states). The only places that seemed to adhere to CoVid precautions diligently were in places where it's a National Corporate policy and even then some simply chose to ignore the posted signage. These were not travelers, but local people with local license plates on their cars; so if they get CoVid, they have only themselves to blame, not this traveler. I rarely saw anyone with out-of-state plates get out of their cars or semis without a mask at a truck stop in any of the states where I refilled the gas tank. And none of them walked into a C-store without a mask from those out-of-state plated vehicles.
I am glad you were able to get your son moved. You are very correct some of us do have family/kids that need help making it on their own and possibly always will so we do what we have to do. Hopefully, your son adjusts well.

The last time we were in NV at my daughter's you are very correct the folks we saw Not wearing masks were locals, not travelers. .

I agree with everyone who is taking this Pandemic very seriously, and I am praying for all the people who have been affected by it too (which is EVERYONE). My lifestyle didn't change much because I have been living how others are now being forced to. I'm not a very social person and I have had Federal Service Dogs for more than 20yrs who provided me with 2'-3' of social distancing, alerted me to people who are ill, allowed me to have an excuse (pre-pandemic) to maintain vigilant cleanliness. I've been labeled so many times as germaphobic, ocd, etc.. just for doing what we all are doing now. So when Covid-19 hit the World, I purchased soap supplies (olive oil, coconut oil, lye, almond oil, oats, honey, and lg bags of powdered milk) and a bidet. I switched my dogs over to a raw food diet, and contacted every hunter I know asking them to save their animal fats in return for supplying them with soap (taxidermists have a wonderful verity of animal fats). I only shop every 2 months wearing a mask and nitrile gloves. I buy everclear an use as spray sanitizer because I'm worried that fools will start drinking sanitizer and I've been known to lose stuff. My Federal Service Dogs wear boots in public so I can disenfect their paws.
My lifestyle was/is foriegn to most of social people and

I agree with everyone who is taking this Pandemic very seriously, and I am praying for all the people who have been affected by it too (which is EVERYONE). My lifestyle didn't change much because I have been living how others are now being forced to. I'm not a very social person and I have had Federal Service Dogs for more than 20yrs who provided me with 2'-3' of social distancing, alerted me to people who are ill, allowed me to have an excuse (pre-pandemic) to maintain vigilant cleanliness. I've been labeled so many times as germaphobic, ocd, etc.. just for doing what we all are doing now. So when Covid-19 hit the World, I purchased soap supplies (olive oil, coconut oil, lye, almond oil, oats, honey, and lg bags of powdered milk) and a bidet. I switched my dogs over to a raw food diet, and contacted every hunter I know asking them to save their animal fats in return for supplying them with soap (taxidermists have a wonderful verity of animal fats). I only shop every 2 months wearing a mask and nitrile gloves. I buy everclear an use as spray sanitizer because I'm worried that fools will start drinking sanitizer and I've been known to lose stuff. My Federal Service Dogs wear boots in public so I can disenfect their paws.
My lifestyle was/is foriegn to most of social people and theirs is to mine. I know that being forced to change habits is so hard and I truly hope everyone can find some sense of normalcy soon.
Here is a pic of the 'Faith' soaps I donate to charities and food banks.
We may all be forced into limited social contact, just remember that we're not by any means alone in this situation.

Attachments

• IMG_20210103_134203748.jpg
    IMG_20210103_134203748.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 4
For what it's worth, I heard this statistic on the radio this morning:
Deaths in the USA due to COVID-19 ~ 20 million
Deaths in the USA due to the Flu ~ 50 million (and that's with easy access to the vaccine!)

Something to think about, especially since the damage to our economy due to the Lock Down may be irreparable. So, buckle up, peeps. 2021 is going to be a long and bumpy road.
It is not going to be pretty.

Got my vaccine today. I was fine, then all of a sudden I felt like I had the flu a few hours later...chills and body aches, and super tired. Almost didn't make it through work. Motrin helped. One of the nurses said that is happening with everybody. He said its gone within 24 hours. I get that with the flu shot too, but it doesn't usually happen till the next day.

Got my vaccine today. I was fine, then all of a sudden I felt like I had the flu a few hours later...chills and body aches, and super tired. Almost didn't make it through work. Motrin helped. One of the nurses said that is happening with everybody. He said its gone within 24 hours. I get that with the flu shot too, but it doesn't usually happen till the next day.
I’m so glad you got it! I can’t wait. I hope I get the Dolly Parton vaccine. (That’s what I’m calling the Moderna one, because she spent a million funding it.)

I’m so glad you got it! I can’t wait. I hope I get the Dolly Parton vaccine. (That’s what I’m calling the Moderna one, because she spent a million funding it.)
I didn't know that LOL, but that's the one I got. I kept asking everybody that got one before me which vaccine they were giving, and nobody knew lol. Seriously, with all the press, you do not know which one you got?? So I asked when I got up there.

It was more organized than I thought. But I had to show my driver's license 3 times to 3 different people including a security guard to get in, and also get my hospital ID zapped. And this was in a small conference room, so there was no chance of people sneaking in or swapping out, so I don't know what that was all about. One of the ID takers had a program/app on her computer that she had to fill in some information and barcode and zap your DL I think time of day and such. She didn't seem to need to put much effort into it. Also had to wait around for 20 minutes to make sure you didn't have a reaction. There was a pharmacist there keeping track of time on your watch time. I don't think it had anything to do with her being a pharmacist other than somebody with a degree willing to keep the time LOL.

It was all super-official looking and time-consuming. I half expected some MIB guys to show up LOL.

I didn't know that LOL, but that's the one I got. I kept asking everybody that got one before me which vaccine they were giving, and nobody knew lol. Seriously, with all the press, you do not know which one you got?? So I asked when I got up there.

It was more organized than I thought. But I had to show my driver's license 3 times to 3 different people including a security guard to get in, and also get my hospital ID zapped. And this was in a small conference room, so there was no chance of people sneaking in or swapping out, so I don't know what that was all about. One of the ID takers had a program/app on her computer that she had to fill in some information and barcode and zap your DL I think time of day and such. She didn't seem to need to put much effort into it. Also had to wait around for 20 minutes to make sure you didn't have a reaction. There was a pharmacist there keeping track of time on your watch time. I don't think it had anything to do with her being a pharmacist other than somebody with a degree willing to keep the time LOL.

It was all super-official looking and time-consuming. I half expected some MIB guys to show up LOL.
I'm so glad you got it and that your side effects were minimal, Kim. I always get a fever and myalgias with every vaccine I get, so I usually take some Tylenol or ibuprofen right after I get the shot, and it seems to decrease the severity and duration of those things. I hope you feel fit as a fiddle today!

The security was probably because some crazy people have sabatoged vaccine!

It was more organized than I thought. But I had to show my driver's license 3 times to 3 different people including a security guard to get in, and also get my hospital ID zapped.
Thanks for sharing, Kim.

You didn't mention if you had your temp taken? I only ask because when I went to the Kaiser clinic the other day to have labs done, you can't get in the door without having your temp taken. The gal who took mine got a reading of 91.6! She didn't think anything of it, but I told her the last time I was there two people took my temp because the first one was way off. So she switched thermometers and got a reading of 97.6 which is normal for me.

My concern is that patients with temps over 100 would get a below normal reading with what is obviously a faulty thermometer that is still in use. Gah. I use to feel safe going into that facility. Now, not so much! o_O

Thanks for sharing, Kim.

You didn't mention if you had your temp taken? I only ask because when I went to the Kaiser clinic the other day to have labs done, you can't get in the door without having your temp taken. The gal who took mine got a reading of 91.6! She didn't think anything of it, but I told her the last time I was there two people took my temp because the first one was way off. So she switched thermometers and got a reading of 97.6 which is normal for me.

My concern is that patients with temps over 100 would get a below normal reading with what is obviously a faulty thermometer that is still in use. Gah. I use to feel safe going into that facility. Now, not so much! o_O
We didn't get screened for anything but allergy history. They didn't turn you away if you have allergies, even if severe...they just made you hang out for a few extra minutes.

My arm REALLY hurts lol. I know there is nothing wrong because everybody is complaining of it. But OOWWW.

I got it on October 30. It was "mild". For 2 days I had strong symptoms, heart racing (resting was 100 bpm) and chills on day 1 and heart racing plus head and joint pain on day 2. I slept the whole time (48 hours!) Waking to take vitamin C and go to the bathroom.

Day 3 I felt great. Tested positive.

Day 4, back down again. Very bad negative mental attitude which lasted several weeks. Fell down once. Lost my sense of smell for 4 weeks. I dismissed several of my friends and told them they don't need to be my friend any more. (what the hell?) I felt that it would be like this the rest of my life and I might as well blow my brains out right now. Of course, I did not. But a really bad mental attitude.

The fatigue continued in an up and down manner for about 8 weeks when my doctor gave me a series of vitamin B shots. I felt energetic and positive again after the first shot.

The lethargy and general "laying around" for such a long period has had other effects, like my back giving me problems, muscles becoming weaker. others have used the word "weird" and that is what I noticed. Many feelings I have never felt before. I have known this body for 73 years and never felt a lot of this stuff.

I am lucky and grateful to have had a mild one. I have been taking vitamin C twice a day for months in preparation and of course have no way of knowing if it was helpful. But I am going to keep taking it and the other vitamins my doctor has prepared for his patients.

May you all stay well!

Glad you recovered! I'm 75 so always concerned about getting it when having to go out for necesseties. I've been taking vitamins a,b,c,d,k plus other supplements for a few years so hopefull that will help if needed but think I might up the vit c just in case.
I sure get the 'laying around' bit.. being stuck in, soaping is as active as it gets but it still isn't really enough and I'm not disciplined enough to exercise on my own. The past 2 days I've not been well but no fever so I think it's just a general malaise but definitely keeping an eye on it.
Thanks for sharing your experience.

Back