Coronavirus

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My sister lives in Tacoma with her son (fireman, ENT) and DIL (nurse practitioner). In her latest Email, she wrote this about her DIL, "She’s working tonight: no beds, when they find beds, no nurses. It’s a mess." It makes me wish I could do more than just hope and pray... 😢

@Catscankim @beckster51 @linne1gi and @earlene - I just want you all to know that I think nurses are the closest thing we have to angels on this earth ❤ ❤ ❤

There are a lot of nurses here on the forum; I had no idea how many until lately. We even had a posting member who was a doctor a couple of years ago, I think it was. We have a lot of nurses in our family, on my side and on my husband's side.

Interesting facts: There are more than 20 million nurses worldwide. There were over 4 million Registered Nurses in the US and just under a million LVN/LPNs (Oct 2019). RNs outnumber doctors about 3:1, in the US. The average RN is between 48 & 50 years of age.*

There is a nursing shortage in the US and it is only getting worse with this pandemic. Part of the reason for the shortage is the aging population of nurses and the fact that we are not being replaced in numbers equal to our retirees. In 2019 in the US, over 80 thousand qualified applicants were turned away from Baccalaureate & Graduate Nursing Programs for the 2019-2020 enrollment period because there were not enough Instructors and Preceptors available to teach the applicants, and to a lesser degree, insufficient classroom space, clinical sites and budget constraints. (AACN)

*(National Council of State Boards of Nursing [NCSBN], 2020)

My sister lives in Tacoma with her son (fireman, ENT) and DIL (nurse practitioner). In her latest Email, she wrote this about her DIL, "She’s working tonight: no beds, when they find beds, no nurses. It’s a mess." It makes me wish I could do more than just hope and pray... 😢

Another small world moment. I also have family in Tacoma.

I sooooo hope not! But I did read an article were Dr. Fauci (who I love to pieces!!!) said the vaccine would be ready for all by maybe April/May. So I've been curious if everyone would take it...Like the flu shot and all! I was a bit leery about it being given so early in the trials in some countries. But anyways... Dr. Fauci said he'd take it!!! o_O:oops::p
I don't have any comorbidities and am not taking a vaccine that has not had a proper testing time for a virus with a 99% survival rate. I haven't taken many prescription meds in my life (I'm 43 and healthy) but I have taken two that I and many others had bad side effects from and have since been banned. Both passed FDA approval although there was a controversy around one because it was hastily approved and officials were bribed to do it. I don't have much faith in the FDA or Dr. Fauci.

Science has came a long way since then and the covid vaccines have been tested, no one has died.

I personally can't wait to get in line for vaccines and I hope the government makes them mandatory.
That's a terrifying thought that any level of government would make it mandatory that you take something. What happened to my body, my choice?

I, too, have been trying to suss out what the individual reasoning or psychology is regarding not wanting to wear a mask when the science is very strong that it helps to decrease transmission. Is it just a case of ignorance or misinformation? If anyone here can explain it to me, I would appreciate it. It is making my head explode about once a week.
Dr. Fauci has flip-flopped on this multiple times telling people not to wear masks and then saying to wear them. I'm neither ignorant nor misinformed and I don't think they do much good really. Face shields probably work better as some people have reported the size of the virus particles are small enough to pass through the weave of masks.

Where i am it was told to us that the masks are more to protect others
if i have a virus and am wearing a mask i am less able to spread my infectious droplets
so more protect others by wearing a mask than protection for the mask wearer

i like face shields too
ima soaper
(no splatters)

my doctor wears both
(a face shield and masks)

The most recent science articles I’m reading are honing in on a 0.2% COVID-19 mortality rate for the population in general. That’s 2 individuals in 1000. But, the rate looks higher for those over 70, more like 4% or 4 in every 100 individuals. The studies are based on serological testing for antibodies and if I recall correctly, at least 83 studies have been through peer review and published. This has led a large international group of epidemiologists and public health officials to publish the Barrington Declaration, which calls for more emphasis on what they call “focused protection.” They’re very worried about the mental health implications of continuing lockdowns and the effects on the very poor.

I’m not all that far from 70, but generally in very good health. Based on what I know so far, I will likely opt in for vaccination when it becomes available.

Dr. Fauci has flip-flopped on this multiple times telling people not to wear masks and then saying to wear them. I'm neither ignorant nor misinformed and I don't think they do much good really. Face shields probably work better as some people have reported the size of the virus particles are small enough to pass through the weave of masks.
You can't fault Dr Fauci for telling people not to wear masks in the beginning as at that point people were in panic mode and either buying up all the PPE (which hospitals and long term care homes, etc needed) or they were also stealing these items from these places. Until there were appropriate supplies in place it was best not to have everyone panic purchasing, especially while the virus numbers were low. The toilet paper and grocery shortages were bad enough to deal with. It was hard enough for the medical professionals, that really needed the PPE, to secure their sources and they didn't need more competition from the general public.

Last edited:
Dr. Fauci has not "flip-flopped" on mask wearing. As @DKing said, In the beginning, he said not to wear masks, but changed his remarks when several studies noted that masks are beneficial. When those studies suggested that mask wearing will help bring down the numbers, he agreed and has since stressed mask wearing. He follows the science. The problem with face shields is that a lot of virus particles fall out of those - there is nothing on the bottom of the shields to contain virus particles. Wearing a mask AND a face shield will definitely give you better protection.

@AngieGail, To my knowledge, they are not going to force you to get vaccinated. The FDA panel that oversees vaccine approval are dedicated knowledgeable people who aren't just going to rubber stamp this vaccine. They will spend weeks just evaluating the studies that have been done. I personally have several friends (3) who were involved in this vaccine study and they are doing great. They were all in the Moderna study, and they are all in my age group (69-70). Personally I trust vaccines, I was born at a time when Polio was rampant and my parents rushed to get me the Polio vaccine when it became available - one of my friends' parents didn't and she died (at age 10) of complications of Polio. I've also had to get many vaccines as I am a registered nurse - so they are mandatory. I'm hoping to be first in line when they start giving them out. Yes, this disease seems to affect the elderly more often (I'm definitely getting there!), but many young people have died or have multiple sequelae from this virus. One of the doctors I work with got Covid in April - he's still experiencing shortness of breath and now has an enlarged heart - he's 43. Another nurse friend who got it (she was one of the nurses who volunteered to go to NY when they were having such an overwhelming number of cases), now has many problems - she had numerous blood clots, and almost lost her legs - she still isn't back to work and it has been 8 months since she had the virus - she is 26, by the way.

I'm just saying, there's not a whole lot of rhyme or reason to this disease - some that get it do fine and others do poorly or die. And mask wearing does help to bring down the number of new infections. As I understand this, Covid is going to be with us for a long time, so we may as well get used to wearing masks - even if only to protect our loved ones. Or don't wear a mask - because after all "you" are the most important person there is, no one else matters.

@Mobjack Bay I also read about the Barrington Declaration, and felt like it made a lot of sense. The idea is to taylor the remedies to the science, which would mean keeping schools open, and focusing the majority of protection, prevention, and cure towards those who are most at risk.

@linne1gi Not everyone who is refusing to mask up is doing so out of selfishness. Two of my dear friends have problems masking up. One has severe asthma, and simply cannot get enough oxygen if she wears a mask. A face shield is mildly better, but her oxygen levels still drop significantly. The other has asthma + PTSD from severe childhood trauma. Anything on or over any part of her face triggers horrible flashbacks, disassociation, and potential for psych hospitalization to restabilize her.

To be clear, I'm not anti-mask by any means. But please don't assume that everyone who is maskless is doing so out of selfishness or stupidity. It makes the divisions between all of us worse, and needlessly so.

@Mobjack Bay I also read about the Barrington Declaration, and felt like it made a lot of sense. The idea is to taylor the remedies to the science, which would mean keeping schools open, and focusing the majority of protection, prevention, and cure towards those who are most at risk.

@linne1gi Not everyone who is refusing to mask up is doing so out of selfishness. Two of my dear friends have problems masking up. One has severe asthma, and simply cannot get enough oxygen if she wears a mask. A face shield is mildly better, but her oxygen levels still drop significantly. The other has asthma + PTSD from severe childhood trauma. Anything on or over any part of her face triggers horrible flashbacks, disassociation, and potential for psych hospitalization to restabilize her.

To be clear, I'm not anti-mask by any means. But please don't assume that everyone who is maskless is doing so out of selfishness or stupidity. It makes the divisions between all of us worse, and needlessly so.
Then I would suggest that the people who cannot wear a mask for whatever reason, stay out of crowded indoor places - because that is where most people get the virus. And I see plenty of people who are not wearing masks (and I talk to many people who won't wear a mask, "because, it's stupid, and a violation of my civil rights") that seem plenty healthy, but just won't wear them (oftentimes for political reasons) and it IS just plain dumb. But honestly in my line of work, I see so many people who are anti-maskers and it just makes me crazy.

The Barrington Declaration was astroturfed by rightwing political orgs and is very bad science. Their agenda is not public health and they cherry picked their "evidence".

To wit:

A Right-Wing Think Tank Is Behind the Controversial Great Barrington Declaration Calling for COVID-19 Herd Immunity - Resilience
https://www.resilience.org/stories/...claration-calling-for-covid-19-herd-immunity/
Scientists Slam The Great Barrington Declaration
https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/stephaniemlee/herd-immunity-great-barrington-backlash-letter
Herd immunity letter signed by fake experts including 'Dr Johnny Bananas' | Coronavirus | The Guardian
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...r-signed-fake-experts-dr-johnny-bananas-covid

The most recent science articles I’m reading are honing in on a 0.2% COVID-19 mortality rate for the population in general. That’s 2 individuals in 1000. But, the rate looks higher for those over 70, more like 4% or 4 in every 100 individuals. The studies are based on serological testing for antibodies and if I recall correctly, at least 83 studies have been through peer review and published. This has led a large international group of epidemiologists and public health officials to publish the Barrington Declaration, which calls for more emphasis on what they call “focused protection.” They’re very worried about the mental health implications of continuing lockdowns and the effects on the very poor.

I’m not all that far from 70, but generally in very good health. Based on what I know so far, I will likely opt in for vaccination when it becomes available.

Last edited:
@paradisi @linne1gi this is exactly why some people are making different choices than others. Many intelligent, well-intentioned people are on both sides of each debated point, because people don't know who to believe. What many doctors are calling good science, others are calling astroturfing, or a plot of the deep state, etc.

My point was not to say who is right or who is wrong, but to urge people to consider that (most of) those who disagree with us are doing so out of honest beliefs. You or I may not agree with the basis of their beliefs, but calling them stupid or selfish will do nothing to convince them to believe or behave otherwise. Human nature tends to dig in when confronted with anger and disdain. We also damage our own mental and physical health when we get so frustrated and angry with those who don't make the same choices we do.

If we were to assume that most people are doing the best they can to sift through mountains of conflicting "experts" and information, and that they do care about the well-being of others, then we leave open the possibility of having open, intelligent discussions where each side might learn something from the other... and could leave the conversation respecting one another despite differing views.

With this now seemingly spreading swiftly around the world, I wondered whether any of our members are directly or indirectly affected?
Indirectly, I have had family members, friends of friends, as well as associates affected by Rona. I have been staying inside and I am sick of it not being with my family for the holidays and just in self isolation is taking a toll on me however, I hope we will have slowed this pandemic down so that I can get back to some sense of normalcy.

Last edited:
Indirectly, I have had family members, friends of friends, as well as associates affected by Rona. I have been staying inside and I'm am sick of it not being with my family for the holidays and just in self isolation is taking a toll on me however, I hope we will have slowed this pandemic down so that I can get back to some sense of normalcy.
I’m with you. I haven’t seen my son in almost a year. He and his wife are having a baby in April and we want to stay healthy enough to be with them at that time. I haven’t seen my daughter since March. In the meantime, Thanksgiving was just my husband and I and Christmas is going to be the same. This is one reason I am sick to death of the anti-maskers.

Back