Coronavirus

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I live in a 55+ community in South Florida. We were locked down here for about 4 months. And by locked down, I mean all our amenities were closed. Pool, tennis courts, pickleball court, clubhouse and gym. They started slowly reopening in June, and it has been pretty good. Pool, tennis and gym have been open and we have been going there, mindfully practicing social distancing and wearing masks, of course. Unfortunately, we just heard that there are a number of people here who have recently been diagnosed with Covid (they are all sick) - and at least one of them was a tennis player. So, everything is now closed again, we don't know for how long. I really don't understand why people don't wear masks. It just drives me nuts!!
I, too, have been trying to suss out what the individual reasoning or psychology is regarding not wanting to wear a mask when the science is very strong that it helps to decrease transmission. Is it just a case of ignorance or misinformation? If anyone here can explain it to me, I would appreciate it. It is making my head explode about once a week.

I still have fairly vivid memories from my childhood of being deliriously ill with the measles and a mild case of scarlet fever and then in my 20s with a major bout of flu. I received both of the polio vaccines as a child, but had an older friend across the street for whom the vaccines came too late. She walked with leg braces. Personally, I’m all for vaccines and flu shots. I don’t worry about the speed of development of the COVID-19 vaccines, which is an outcome (blessing) of the massive amount of funding, the person power devoted to the effort, the state of science knowledge in various contributing fields, an increasing focus on trans disciplinary/team science approaches for tackling complex problems, and the massive improvements in methods (rapid, more efficient) and computing power over the decade before the pandemic started. With the close on-going scrutiny of the testing protocols and outcomes, I look forward to getting vaccinated when the opportunity comes my way.
Very eloquently said! These are vaccines made by a method never before used, and may be the model for how all vaccines are made in the future. Rapid vaccine development will greatly benefit mankind in the future. This is not the last nasty virus we will see, unfortunately, so it is so encouraging to see the science progress so quickly and efficiently. Necessity is indeed the mother of invention.

I, too, have been trying to suss out what the individual reasoning or psychology is regarding not wanting to wear a mask when the science is very strong that it helps to decrease transmission. Is it just a case of ignorance or misinformation? If anyone here can explain it to me, I would appreciate it. It is making my head explode about once a week.
I can't even. I'm a nurse and we wear an N-95 mask, with a level 2 surgical mask over that, with eye protection, hair covering, shoe covering, gown, and gloves. All this cr*p is hotter than Hades, and the general public is complaining about just putting on a mask - (it infringes on their constitutional rights!) - you have gotten me started now. For me, I say wearing a mask is much better and nicer than wearing a ventilator. Rant over, thanks for letting me.

I can't even. I'm a nurse and we wear an N-95 mask, with a level 2 surgical mask over that, with eye protection, hair covering, shoe covering, gown, and gloves. All this cr*p is hotter than Hades, and the general public is complaining about just putting on a mask - (it infringes on their constitutional rights!) - you have gotten me started now. For me, I say wearing a mask is much better and nicer than wearing a ventilator. Rant over, thanks for letting me.
Well, I am a nurse, too, although retired. During my career, I worked with a lot of contagious patients, including drug resistant TB, and I was never resistant to wearing protective equipment. Maybe it is our "up close and personal" experience, but I don't understand why the general public doesn't want to hear what the experts have to say. I thought your rant was very short - LOL. Ask my husband, who is a doctor, how long and passionate some of my rants have been! It doesn't serve any purpose to rant, but it certainly makes me feel better, sometimes.

Well, I am a nurse, too, although retired. During my career, I worked with a lot of contagious patients, including drug resistant TB, and I was never resistant to wearing protective equipment. Maybe it is our "up close and personal" experience, but I don't understand why the general public doesn't want to hear what the experts have to say. I thought your rant was very short - LOL. Ask my husband, who is a doctor, how long and passionate some of my rants have been! It doesn't serve any purpose to rant, but it certainly makes me feel better, sometimes.
This is especially funny, because my husband is a doctor also, a retired Psychiatrist. He's heard more than his fair share of my rants in the 46 years we've been married.

This is especially funny, because my husband is a doctor also, a retired Psychiatrist. He's heard more than his fair share of my rants in the 46 years we've been married.
That is funny. My husband gets this patient look on his face when I start a rant. He has put up with a lot of rants as well, and he has no answers for me. Perhaps yours does!

Not sure if this is corona related, i feel like patients and families are getting more and more aggressive towards the staff. Three times this week alone i had to call for security.

Been doing my job for 25 years. I am not a fragile wallflower...i have a pretty thick skin, but they are wearing me down.

First girl earlier this week brings in her baby because she DROPPED him....4weeks old. I go to get them, first words...”Its about bleeping time!” After the scan, she asks what the lead apron was for, “to protect you from the radiation”. “Oh you didnt tell me you were giving us radiation you bleeping bleep bleep.” All up in my face threatening me with physical harm, because apparently i should have gotten informed consent for the xrays. (Well maybe you shouldnt have dropped your newborn on a tile floor you bleeping bleep 😡) <i didnt say that lol.

Next woman, there with her 17 y/o for menstrual problems, in the middle of the night. Shes mad that i wont let her back behind the glass with me. I gave her three options...stay in the room with your daughter, i can take you back to the er to wait, or i can get you a chair to wait outside the door. Nothing was good enough. She was ready for a fight the minute i walked into the room to get them. Poor kid kept asking her to stop. All i could do is stand there listening to her telling me how shes gonna kick my (butt) and F my HIPPA rules. She saw my name on my badge and kept pacing back and forth like a caged animal repeating my first and last name over and over (i really hate having my last name on my badge for this reason). She also accused me of exposing them to covid because i had only one mask on and not two. Neither of them had masks on, and declined when i gave them masks...

Last night....guy who got beat up with .....antlers (????) true story lol. That transpired with a woman that he caught in the act with another man. That went from zero to sixty quick when i got him into my department. I was still putting my gloves on when he started screaming that i wacked him in the head “with that” he pointed at...the pillow?? Lol. Started yelling that his head was bleeding because i hit him with the pillow. Ok we can give him credit, it was a foam pillow lol, but it also could have been caused by ummmm, the antlers she beat him up with???

All 3 times i just called over to the er to have the police to come over...no fanfare. I could have called a code “gray”, which means its a big deal and someone is getting arrested in the end. I just assume or hope that they are just stressed about being in the hospital to begin with. Having police presence usually calms it down, except last nights guy, but at least i wasnt the next one “to go out tonight in a body bag“ as he promised...

Apparently they are all going to have my job on monday...lol. Take it at this point. You can have it. I am exhausted

I do think this is covid related. Its is just progressively getting worse. People are so much more angry or aggressive lately. Maybe the state of affairs? In 25 years i have never felt so threatened in my job.

I’m so sorry you had this happen. I agree with you people have no patience, it’s all about them these days. I’m getting fed up as well and my stories aren’t as good as yours! Just the general aggression seems to be accelerating. We require everyone in our facility to wear a mask and so many give us a hard time. Ok, go outside and wait, otherwise wear the **** mask. I am praying this gets better when a vaccine is finally available.

I don't think it's worth your head exploding. We can't change the minds of the adamantly ignorant, science denouncers, magical thinkers, political radicals, or the downright ballistically angry, and sometimes possibly mentally challenged. I don't mean any of that in a bad way, but sometimes in some situations one of those 'labels' I used is part of the equation. Understanding can go a long way in our learning tolerance and forgiveness, but it's not going to change the other person. Unless it's putting me or my loved ones at risk, I have had to practice distancing myself rather than engagement.

What bothers me are the medical and medical ancillary folks who complain about complying and even who tell the public and even their own patients that masks are useless or super wasteful or just plain complain that they have to wear them in the first place. Yes, twice now I've had to listen to that from: 1. one of medical doctors (my former cardiologist in San Antonio); 2. the tech who gave Hubby & I our flu vaccinations (here in town). I took my doctor's words with a grain of salt. I worked with TB patients, too, as well as other infectious diseases. I probably wore a mask more hours during my nursing career than said cardiologist ever dreamed of wearing in his career (still young, he is.) And the pharmacy tech? Well Hubby and I were so appalled by his attitude, that I reported him to the facility and to corporate; his attitude and complaints were certainly something I would have addressed when I was a Charge Nurse; in fact I did have to do that with a couple of employees with those kinds of attitudes in the workplace.

Not sure if this is corona related, i feel like patients and families are getting more and more aggressive towards the staff. Three times this week alone i had to call for security.

First girl earlier this week brings in her baby because she DROPPED him....4weeks old. I go to get them, first words...”Its about bleeping time!” After the scan, she asks what the lead apron was for, “to protect you from the radiation”. “Oh you didnt tell me you were giving us radiation you bleeping bleep bleep.” All up in my face threatening me with physical harm, because apparently i should have gotten informed consent for the xrays. (Well maybe you shouldnt have dropped your newborn on a tile floor you bleeping bleep 😡) <i didnt say that lol.

Next woman, there with her 17 y/o for menstrual problems, in the middle of the night. Shes mad that i wont let her back behind the glass with me. I gave her three options...stay in the room with your daughter, i can take you back to the er to wait, or i can get you a chair to wait outside the door. Nothing was good enough. She was ready for a fight the minute i walked into the room to get them. Poor kid kept asking her to stop. All i could do is stand there listening to her telling me how shes gonna kick my (butt) and F my HIPPA rules. She saw my name on my badge and kept pacing back and forth like a caged animal repeating my first and last name over and over (i really hate having my last name on my badge for this reason). She also accused me of exposing them to covid because i had only one mask on and not two. Neither of them had masks on, and declined when i gave them masks...

Last night....guy who got beat up with .....antlers (????) true story lol. That transpired with a woman that he caught in the act with another man. That went from zero to sixty quick when i got him into my department. I was still putting my gloves on when he started screaming that i wacked him in the head “with that” he pointed at...the pillow?? Lol. Started yelling that his head was bleeding because i hit him with the pillow. Ok we can give him credit, it was a foam pillow lol, but it also could have been caused by ummmm, the antlers she beat him up with???

All 3 times i just called over to the er to have the police to come over...no fanfare. I could have called a code “gray”, which means its a big deal and someone is getting arrested in the end. I just assume or hope that they are just stressed about being in the hospital to begin with. Having police presence usually calms it down, except last nights guy, but at least i wasnt the next one “to go out tonight in a body bag“ as he promised...

Apparently they are all going to have my job on monday...lol. Take it at this point. You can have it. I am exhausted

I do think this is covid related. Its is just progressively getting worse. People are so much more angry or aggressive lately. Maybe the state of affairs? In 25 years i have never felt so threatened in my job.
Kim, that is so uncalled for, but I am sure you understand the underlying frustration the public is feeling over all this stuff going on, and how it only makes badly behaving indiduals behave even more badly. I know, you're probably thinking, just as I sometimes do, "so what, deal with it, you imbecilic morons!"

Dropped her baby boy on the tile floor on it's head!? OMG, how scary is that?

Bad Mama with embarrassed teen, OMG, how awful for that young girl! Okay maybe she was just at the end of her rope, but that is no excuse for threatening you or using foul language. When the public uses foul language &/or makes any sort of threat toward my husband or his co-workers, the police are called immediately. No exception. There is always an officer on premises, so it's no waiting. Raging anger can erupt into physical violence so unexpectedly fast, you have to protect yourself and everyone else around you, in such situations. If the customer has to deal with the police for their behavior, that is on them, not the person who that were threatening. In this case, I would have called the code gray. There were threats accompanied by foul language. You were alone, right? Or was that flaky newbie around to assist?

And, pardon my chuckling, but the guy got beat up with a set of antlers? How did you maintain a straight face?! Talk about adding insult to injury, though; first he catches them in the act, then she actually beats him up with whatever was close at hand? God, I hope he's not stupid enough to take her back into his life! He is probably going to get ribbed about that incident by his friends for the rest of his life!

Oh wow! It is stressful enough for you having to go in and do your job under these trying times, but to have so many patients threatening you for trying to help them would make it difficult to want to come in. People in general seem to be acting up. Not all of them, but definitely a certain type. It is usually the ones who think their civil liberties are being stolen from them because they have to wear a mask and follow rules meant to protect them and their loved ones. Or maybe it is just the chaotic state of the world currently, stressing everyone out. Between covid and political unrest, the world just doesn't seem quite right currently.
I hope things improve for you soon! People need to learn to relax some and be respectful of professional trying to do a job. Take care and stay safe!

@earlene ... dropping babies is almost its own pandemic. Its sad and i get at least one a day. We get a lot of “she rolled off the bed” or changing table ...really? a two week old, or even 4 did not ROLL anywhere. I was 19 when i had my kid, and i treated her like a fine piece of china. I go to get these babies and am like I WILL CARRY HER. I cant even get started lol. Whole different discussion.

The girl was so embarrassed. If she were a few months older, she would have been in our adult ER, not the Pedi. Without mom. The kid was so sweet, and mom was for lack of a better word..ghetto.

And dude with the antlers lol. It wasnt even his girlfriend lol. It was his friends gf. He was a skinhead, white guy, with teardrop tatoos on his face. Very gangster. We get a lot of gangster types, but i have never had a problem, especially if they are actually sick. Nothing but yes ma’am no ma’am.

We were talking about it in the ER, the country is stressed or something. People dont act like this to other ppl normally. Like i said, i have been doing this for a long time, and mostly in inner city hospitals. I have never been treated so bad as i have lately. We are all blaming covid.

Edit....tv has nothing on the actual life in the er lol. I need to write a book “you cant make this stuff up”.

Last edited:
masks and varying travel restrictions (down to 5km travel bubbles and night time curfews) were made mandatory here
now we are 30 days without a new case where i am and theres no active cases
we still all wear masks inside shops and theres still some restrictions on movement (hopefully lifting soon)

it is strange to see everyone who hasnt driven for months drive like learner drivers (chaos)

Last edited:
We went up to Vero Beach this afternoon just for a drive and to get out of the house for a bit. We went to Mulligans (outside dining) for an ear dinner - not one person was wearing a mask. I’m not talking about people dining, but people walking about on the street.

We went up to Vero Beach this afternoon just for a drive and to get out of the house for a bit.
You were just south of me! Howdy neighbor! :) ;) Yep! masks are so silly! At least that the consensus of all the visiting guest at my hotel when I point out that they need to get their mask before I help them...

Latest posts

Back