Coronavirus

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I for one am not lining up to take a vaccine developed in record time. šŸ˜¬
Lol... I'm not either. I'm not into conspiracy theories or whatever....and I vaccinate my kids and what not. But if companies keep stopping the trials.... there is a reason. I'ma gonna wait it out!!! But I'm also not a scientist.... what so I know!

My husband thinks we will have access to the vaccine, whichever one, early because he is a part of a federal emergency response team/task force program. (I don't remember what he called it.) Written into the protocol is that all members and their household members will be vaccinated in the first wave of vaccinations when the emergency is a pandemic situation (such as this.)

I remember him telling me about this way back when he signed on for this duty, but until he just mentioned it a few days ago, I'd forgotten. He may not even be on that roster anymore, though. It was a few years ago that he was added and trained; he hasn't been 'called up' to do anything related to this pandemic other than to continue working.

As for which vaccine that would be, it's anyone's guess right now. There may be a few available. I will just have to trust the science and the process.

My concern, however, is not the vaccination itself, but appropriate, safe and effective distribution of the initial dose of the vaccine AND any subsequent necessary boosters. The whole thing has the potential to be a logistical nightmare.

ETA: I just asked him about the program he was talking about (I do vaguely recall when he signed up for it & took the required training - it was 6 or 7 years ago). It's only the security aspect of providing vaccines in a pandemic situation, a piece of the national pandemic response program. So as part of the folks who provide the security for the vaccination process, the potential for exposure would be great, that's why they would be getting the vaccine as a part of the rollout process. That explains why no-one has contacted him as yet. There really is no imminent roll-out. It will be interesting to see how this progresses.

Last edited:
My husband thinks we will have access to the vaccine, whichever one, early because he is a part of a federal emergency response team/task force program.
The article I read also mentioned that those in the medical field and those front line individuals will receive the vaccine when it is first approved. Then those with underlying medical conditions and such. Then the general population should have the vaccine available by April/May. I donā€™t have a problem with taking the vaccine, I just worry that the testing and development have been rushed ... I donā€™t know really what to think... itā€™s all really scary.

The article I read also mentioned that those in the medical field and those front line individuals will receive the vaccine when it is first approved. Then those with underlying medical conditions and such. Then the general population should have the vaccine available by April/May. I donā€™t have a problem with taking the vaccine, I just worry that the testing and development have been rushed ... I donā€™t know really what to think... itā€™s all really scary.
None of us at the hospital want it. They are going to probably make it mandatory, so a lot of ppl are threatening to quit or retire. I am talking nurses, doctors, techs. Our charge nurse said she wont take it...shes a friend of mine also, so we were speaking candidly. Its too rushed.

I cant afford to quit or retire, so i will take it....I will probably be the very last one to get it. See what happens to every one else first lol.

For the past few years they made the flu shot mandatory ā€œor wear a maskā€. I hate the flu shot. It makes me sick, i dont care what they say. It does make me sick. I know my body. Never had a flu shot before and never got the flu. Im a carp lol.

This year I opted out of the flu shot. ā€œWhaddya gonna do? Make me wear a mask? Make me wear a third mask and two face shields?ā€œ LOL Im not the only one.

They changed the rule now, get it or get fired. So i got the flu shot. There was a huge line of nurses etc, that had the same idea i did, on the last day to get our flu shot. Admittedly, I did not get sick this year from it. But this is the first year i didnt get sick.

When i started my job a bunch of years ago, they asked if i had a Tdap vaxx. At the time, i didnt even know what it was. But this was my employee health visit for a new job. So i took it. Not only did it HURT a lot, but i was in bed for three days sick. I got titers (bloodwork to see what you are immune to), and all of mine were good. I know this because i got my paperwork to take to another job. Why did i need a Tdap for childhood vaccines that not only i received and had proof of, but my titers proved it on top??

When my daughter was a kid, the school nurse called me about her not having a chicken pox vaccine. Im like, but she had the chicken pox. The school nurse wants proof. Threatened to ā€œcall someoneā€ Im like, shes 7, ask her lol. Carolyn went on a whole long story and showed her all her chicken pox scars lol.

So get that vaxx, and now need a booster every ten years. Are you going to realistically remember to do that every ten years for the rest of your life? Or just get the actual chicken pox when you are 7 and be proud of your chicken pox scars lol (as a kid). Get your last booster as required in college, now years later you are 32 with a kid that has it, oh crap, did you get your booster ten years ago? No? Now chicken pox is deadly for you as an adult.

I am not against it (covid vaccine) totally. I know vaccines have eradicated so many deadly diseases. I agree with some vaccines, and not others. I just feel like this one is rushed. Give it to ppl that want it first. Dont make me take it.

I for one am not lining up to take a vaccine developed in record time. šŸ˜¬
:thumbs: Me neither. My brother, the epidemiologist, was distantly involved with the development of the first H1N1 flu vaccine during Gerald Ford's administration. It killed more trusting citizens than the flu because, for political and Big Pharmco profit reasons, it was rushed to market before being fully tested. He wrote a novel about it... a "bio-terrorism thriller".

IMG_0896.JPG

Last edited:
:thumbs: Me neither. My brother, the epidemiologist, was distantly involved with the development of the first H1N1 flu vaccine during Gerald Ford's administration. It killed more trusting citizens than the flu because, for political and Big Pharmco profit reasons, it was rushed to market before being tested. He wrote a novel about it... a "bio-terrorism thriller".

View attachment 51739

Science has came a long way since then and the covid vaccines have been tested, no one has died.

I personally can't wait to get in line for vaccines and I hope the government makes them mandatory.

Science has came a long way since then and the covid vaccines have been tested, no one has died.

I personally can't wait to get in line for vaccines and I hope the government makes them mandatory.

Me, too, Obsidian! I am a nurse, and I have been closely following development of the vaccines. They stop a drug/vaccine trial if anyone has anything happen that is serious to determine if it has anything to do with the drug/vaccine. So stopping trials is a common occurrence. If they meet the FDA vaccine requirements, then they should be as safe as any vaccine currently used at present. They do have to be approved for emergency use, which is yet another set of criteria, and none have been approved as of yet. It is normal to be a bit nervous about it, I am, too. But at my age, my chances are better with an approved vaccine than Covid. I am old enough to remember when you could not start school without a current shot record, period, no excuses. That is why the generation below me did not have to contend with hardly any childhood communicable diseases, which is no longer the case. I don't mean to sound like I am on my soapbox, and I don't want to get a discussion about this started. But to put this in perspective, many, many, many more people have died from diseases than vaccines.
Oh, and here is a fascinating article about what Thanksgiving was like in 1918. I also posted this in the holiday/covid thread.

We're celebrating Thanksgiving amid a pandemic. Here's how we did it in 1918 ā€” and what happened next

Science has came a long way since then...
Just to put a fine point on it, for me, it isn't about the science, it's about the "Deciders"... those who make the decision of when the vaccine is ready to be distributed to the public. The problems with the first H1N1 vaccine didn't become apparent until after the vaccination program was well under way. These things take time, and patience, to be reasonably sure that the vaccine will do no harm. We're talking a year at least.

There's a good discussion of the actual chance of acquiring Guillan Barre from this vaccine (GB exists in every country anyway and you can get it after surgery for example) here, where the author ought to alleviate fears about this vaccine. (They *do* make new flu vax in under a year every year now..)
Swine Flu Vaccine Fearmongering

:thumbs: Me neither. My brother, the epidemiologist, was distantly involved with the development of the first N1 flu vaccine during Gerald Ford's administration. It killed more trusting citizens than the flu because, for political and Big Pharmco profit reasons, it was rushed to market before being fully tested. He wrote a novel about it... a "bio-terrorism thriller".

View attachment 51739

:thumbs: Me neither. My brother, the epidemiologist, was distantly involved with the development of the first H1N1 flu vaccine during Gerald Ford's administration. It killed more trusting citizens than the flu because, for political and Big Pharmco profit reasons, it was rushed to market before being fully tested. He wrote a novel about it... a "bio-terrorism thriller".

View attachment 51739
I have two high school classmates who were involved in the clinical trials. One was in the Moderna trial and one was in the AstraZenica trial. Obviously we are all the same general age (69-70). Both of my friends fared well in the trials with a little arm soreness being the major complaint, and one had a headache for 2 days after the 2nd vaccine dose. Because I am a registered nurse (still working), AND older than 65, I would be in the first wave of people to be vaccinated. I am going to believe in the vaccine, that the FDA wouldn't approve it if it weren't safe and effective and I am watching Dr. Fauci to see what he thinks. Like Kim, the flu vaccine (and this vaccine) is mandatory if I want to continue working (I plan to retire next year after I turn 70). So, my guess is I will be taking it - I do pray it is safe.

Up until about 3 yrs ago I never had the flu and never received flu shots, then I came down with the flu. Except when I had Meningitis in 1977 I can say I have never been so sick so I now believe in flu shots. Also, I will can I have never felt like I did before I came down with the flu and my cardiologist believes my heat problem was caused by the flu virus I had. It also makes me think I may not come out well if I were to contract covid so I will probably risk the vaccine.

Our region finally passed a mask mandate, the first since this all started.

I really didn't think many people would actually follow the mandate since masks are pretty political here and its a red state but surprisingly, about 90% at the grocers were masked.

I was really glad to see it but at the same time, it sad that adults can't figure out how to stay safe on their own.

My MIL has tested positive as of Wednesday, we learned yesterday, but she is asymptomatic. Staff had called & left a message that night, but we missed the call; called yesterday morning, then called his brother to let him know & he called MIL's sister to let her know. Apparently, the occupancy in her nursing home is low enough, that they have a designated CoVid wing. We don't know if she is sharing a room or single; Hubby didn't think to ask. We will have to call to find out if her phone was transferred to her new room.

MIL's advance directives are for palliative care only, so hopefully she remains asymptomatic with a mild case & complication-free, because we don't think her compromised respiratory system would fare well.

However, over the past few weeks she has been showing signs that for her, the veil between life and the hereafter is thinning. We hear it in the things she says when talking on the phone. So she may be more ready for this than we are. I really wish she wasn't so isolated. She has always been a very social person.

My MIL has tested positive as of Wednesday, we learned yesterday, but she is asymptomatic. Staff had called & left a message that night, but we missed the call; called yesterday morning, then called his brother to let him know & he called MIL's sister to let her know. Apparently, the occupancy in her nursing home is low enough, that they have a designated CoVid wing. We don't know if she is sharing a room or single; Hubby didn't think to ask. We will have to call to find out if her phone was transferred to her new room.

MIL's advance directives are for palliative care only, so hopefully she remains asymptomatic with a mild case & complication-free, because we don't think her compromised respiratory system would fare well.

However, over the past few weeks she has been showing signs that for her, the veil between life and the hereafter is thinning. We hear it in the things she says when talking on the phone. So she may be more ready for this than we are. I really wish she wasn't so isolated. She has always been a very social person.
Yes, it is a bit frightening when people start speaking as though they have one foot beyond the veil, but it may be the result of extreme isolation. I really hate hearing that she is positive. Maybe she will have a mild course. I certainly hope so. It's really hard on you and your husband, sitting around thinking about her without being able to do anything. I will be thinking of you all. Take care.

I still have fairly vivid memories from my childhood of being deliriously ill with the measles and a mild case of scarlet fever and then in my 20s with a major bout of flu. I received both of the polio vaccines as a child, but had an older friend across the street for whom the vaccines came too late. She walked with leg braces. Personally, Iā€™m all for vaccines and flu shots. I donā€™t worry about the speed of development of the COVID-19 vaccines, which is an outcome (blessing) of the massive amount of funding, the person power devoted to the effort, the state of science knowledge in various contributing fields, an increasing focus on trans disciplinary/team science approaches for tackling complex problems, and the massive improvements in methods (rapid, more efficient) and computing power over the decade before the pandemic started. With the close on-going scrutiny of the testing protocols and outcomes, I look forward to getting vaccinated when the opportunity comes my way.

Lol... I'm not either. I'm not into conspiracy theories or whatever....and I vaccinate my kids and what not. But if companies keep stopping the trials.... there is a reason. I'ma gonna wait it out!!! But I'm also not a scientist.... what so I know!

It's normal and expected to have these interruptions in the trials - several of them in fact...to investigate every little suspected anomaly. Stopping the trials is proof to me that there's good and proper science going on.

My good friend is a virologist, researcher, inventor. She and her partner are people who invented the fast process of mapping the genome of viruses and bacteria.....which is one reason why they've been able to formulate potential vaccines so quickly....what took months....now only took days or hours (I don't remember which....my eyes kind of glass over when she gets that deep into her science.)

When the vaccine is out - I'll have her advice to help me decide which vaccine and when - which is a relief because I'm so behind on the science.

I live in a 55+ community in South Florida. We were locked down here for about 4 months. And by locked down, I mean all our amenities were closed. Pool, tennis courts, pickleball court, clubhouse and gym. They started slowly reopening in June, and it has been pretty good. Pool, tennis and gym have been open and we have been going there, mindfully practicing social distancing and wearing masks, of course. Unfortunately, we just heard that there are a number of people here who have recently been diagnosed with Covid (they are all sick) - and at least one of them was a tennis player. So, everything is now closed again, we don't know for how long. I really don't understand why people don't wear masks. It just drives me nuts!!

Latest posts

Back