Coronavirus

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@cmzaha I'm sorry for your loss as well.

One of the things that frustrates me about people who write off Covid as being nothing more than a bad flu and the death rate not being very bad (or that most recover) is they don't realize how taxing it is on our healthcare system. Even if we're in a pandemic, people are still going to have heart attacks, strokes, get food poisoning/other infections, have life threatening allergic reactions, get in car accidents, etc....and they still need adequate care too.

I would like to hear from the other healthcare workers here. Do you feel like its getting better? I do. I dont even watch the numbers. I think the numbers are all bs. Quest Lab “forgot” to report thousands of results from months ago, so they all got reported in one day...making florida the worst in the country once again.

Anyway, just an example of bad numbers.

How does everybody who works in it feel right now? Personally I feel like its better. We were talking about it in the er the other day, and i was talking to a nurse from another hospital. Covid is definitely going down. I dont think we are out of the woods. Everybody i have spoken to also is afraid of another wave.

I would like to hear from the other healthcare workers here. Do you feel like its getting better? I do. I dont even watch the numbers. I think the numbers are all bs. Quest Lab “forgot” to report thousands of results from months ago, so they all got reported in one day...making florida the worst in the country once again.

Anyway, just an example of bad numbers.

How does everybody who works in it feel right now? Personally I feel like its better. We were talking about it in the er the other day, and i was talking to a nurse from another hospital. Covid is definitely going down. I dont think we are out of the woods. Everybody i have spoken to also is afraid of another wave.
I'm really glad to hear that, and hope so much that it's true.
I work in higher ed and things are not great here right now, but that has to do with the start of the semester and bringing 40k students back to campus, which everyone knew was a terrible idea to begin with. Anyway, hopefully things will stabilize soon.
Big kudos to all the healthcare workers who have been in this for so long now.

I'm really glad to hear that, and hope so much that it's true.
I work in higher ed and things are not great here right now, but that has to do with the start of the semester and bringing 40k students back to campus, which everyone knew was a terrible idea to begin with. Anyway, hopefully things will stabilize soon.
Big kudos to all the healthcare workers who have been in this for so long now.
Stay safe!!

Add to the CV-19 woes...wild fires. We've lost four towns in our county. Some of the fires are do to nature, some are suspicious to say the least.

And get this. I'm Oregon...I'm sure you have heard about all the protesting going on here. Anyhoo...about a dozen of them thought it would be a good idea to "protest" at a highway in the fire zone...blocking folks trying to evacuate and emergency services trying to get in. And of course, our Governor is totally useless (along with the Portland Mayor).

Add to the CV-19 woes...wild fires. We've lost four towns in our county. Some of the fires are do to nature, some are suspicious to say the least.

And get this. I'm Oregon...I'm sure you have heard about all the protesting going on here. Anyhoo...about a dozen of them thought it would be a good idea to "protest" at a highway in the fire zone...blocking folks trying to evacuate and emergency services trying to get in. And of course, our Governor is totally useless (along with the Portland Mayor).
My son and DIL just moved to Oregon 3 weeks ago! What a rude awakening. They loved it for the first 2 weeks - LOL. They are in Eugene, so I hope that the Holiday Farm fire will be contained before it gets to them. Since they really don't know anything about Oregon, it is a bit nerve-wracking, for them and the parental units. My thoughts are certainly with everyone on the west coast in this hellish nightmare. Stay safe!

My son and DIL just moved to Oregon 3 weeks ago! What a rude awakening. They loved it for the first 2 weeks - LOL. They are in Eugene, so I hope that the Holiday Farm fire will be contained before it gets to them. Since they really don't know anything about Oregon, it is a bit nerve-wracking, for them and the parental units. My thoughts are certainly with everyone on the west coast in this hellish nightmare. Stay safe!

They should be okay...we have family in Eugene too. It's hit the west outskirts of Springfield, but it has a long ways to go to reach Eugene and then it would have to cross I-5 and with a LOT of wind behind it.

We currently have 36 to 38 fire burning in Oregon. We're approximately 35 miles from the Beachie Fire, well outside any "zones" right now. Of course, I am starting my vacation today and we're heading into a "Green Zone", not too far from a "Yellow Zone", but I'm not too overly worried because 1) there is a big river between the zones and 2) I can be repacked in two minutes and on the road heading home in five.

Sorry, i would have barreled them all over with my truck. I worry about this kind of stuff with the protestors. I have seen videos with people stopping for them and being ripped out of the car. Im pretty sure they will jump out of the way anyway. Even if they dont...im protecting my life

They should be okay...we have family in Eugene too. It's hit the west outskirts of Springfield, but it has a long ways to go to reach Eugene and then it would have to cross I-5 and with a LOT of wind behind it.

We currently have 36 to 38 fire burning in Oregon. We're approximately 35 miles from the Beachie Fire, well outside any "zones" right now. Of course, I am starting my vacation today and we're heading into a "Green Zone", not too far from a "Yellow Zone", but I'm not too overly worried because 1) there is a big river between the zones and 2) I can be repacked in two minutes and on the road heading home in five.
I certainly hope you are right, and I hope the wind and weather gives everyone a break. Enjoy your vacation and stay safe. I appreciate the information very much.

Here in DFW our Co-vid 19 numbers are down from the huge spike we had from Memorial Day outings. But actual in-person school started last week. So...they won't be down long. They already have positive cases in at least two schools.

Numbers are way up by us. governor Whitmer announced my area rolling back a stage in the opening plan, two hours later the Michigan Supreme Court ruled she was overreaching her powers. I work in a group home for adults with developmental disabilities, a licensed adult foster care home. We have no idea what is going on but need to base our actions on what the law says. My husband just found out that he was exposed to someone who was exposed to someone who may have been exposed to the virus (aka: my husband’s coworker’s wife works with someone who tested positive). Until we know for sure there is no contingency plan for “maybe“ and I can’t afford to miss work on a “maybe.”

I did find this article from the Mayo Clinic about air purifiers, so “maybe” I can still keep my clients safe.

I'm sorry, BattleGnome. I've been considering an air purifier for our home, but just keep putting it off.

But in a group home, it sure does seem like the wise choice.

Well, even in my home it might be the right choice. My husband works with the public and we do share the same space, and as it gets colder, there is less air circulation inside our home.

I'm so fatigued by all of this...

The second wave is coming, who knows what mutations may or may not have happened within the virus and if this second wave will be even deadlier than the first...which if history repeats itself I wouldn't write off at all.

My work is making me go on a business car trip tomorrow...where I'll be in a car with someone who was just at a wedding, and another person who travels as a salesman for a living, flying on planes and everything...so I'm pretty pissed that I'm going to be stuck inside a metal box with these two for seven hours.

Oh, that is frustrating and a bit scary! Is it warm enough to open the car windows? That might help. I can't imagine why anyone needs to do this in this day and time.

Oh, that is frustrating and a bit scary! Is it warm enough to open the car windows? That might help. I can't imagine why anyone needs to do this in this day and time.
The majority of the trip will be highway, and it's not cold, but not warm...so I doubt that the windows will be open. I plan on wearing a mask and insisting the others do the same. That's about the best I can do.

What's disturbing are the neighbors talking about kids (up to college age) who had covid, and are still down for the count. A 16 year old who can't get out of bed - despite having covid in March. An 8 year old with blood clots in his leg, lung damage; asymptomatic until he went to emergency room for pain and swelling. Another teen who's been in a wheelchair for 5 months due to weakness, tremors. Right down the street is a girl about...11? Has memory problems after asymptomatic covid in June. These are all in a section of our town that I can drive to in 15 minutes or less. That just seems like a lot of kids for a virus that isn't supposed to have much affect on them.

What's disturbing are the neighbors talking about kids (up to college age) who had covid, and are still down for the count. A 16 year old who can't get out of bed - despite having covid in March. An 8 year old with blood clots in his leg, lung damage; asymptomatic until he went to emergency room for pain and swelling. Another teen who's been in a wheelchair for 5 months due to weakness, tremors. Right down the street is a girl about...11? Has memory problems after asymptomatic covid in June. These are all in a section of our town that I can drive to in 15 minutes or less. That just seems like a lot of kids for a virus that isn't supposed to have much affect on them.
I have a co-worker who is a nurse, she's age 32 and she now has breathing problems and an enlarged heart and other cardiac problems since she had Covid. People are still much too cavalier about this virus, it's not just the flu, it's many other problems as well, and they seem to go on for extended periods of time.

The majority of the trip will be highway, and it's not cold, but not warm...so I doubt that the windows will be open. I plan on wearing a mask and insisting the others do the same. That's about the best I can do.

Can you obtain a face shield? I would wear one over the mask in that situation. If not, I would wear safety goggles. As a soaper, you must have a pair of safety goggles.

In fact I do wear safety glasses everywhere I go now. They are actually safety goggles for wearing outside in the sun, so they just look like sunglasses, but they are safety glasses and have a very good wrap around design for protecting the eyes from all angles. I slide them up like a hair band if no one is close to me while shopping, but when someone gets too close, I just pull them down over my eyes so droplets won't get into my eyes.

Latest posts

Back