Coronavirus

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Due to people quarantined and not going out measles has had a resurgence globally. Polio has also come back.
Polio and measles are caused by lack of contagion? That is definitely a new theory to me!

No, not lack of contagion, but lack of vaccinations and more exposure within the confined family units perhaps. For measles, anyway. As far as I am aware, polio does remain a problem in Afghanistan and Pakistan, but again, that is related to inadequate vaccination.

However, there is a real risk for all whose preventative healthcare is compromised/interupted/post-poned because so many of us are not able to seek routine healthcare during this time.

Polio and measles are caused by lack of contagion? That is definitely a new theory to me!

Here's a good article explaining the recent increase in outbreaks:
https://www.sciencemag.org/news/202...-modelers-warn-about-risk-explosive-outbreaks
No, not lack of contagion, but lack of vaccinations and more exposure within the confined family units perhaps. For measles, anyway. As far as I am aware, polio does remain a problem in Afghanistan and Pakistan, but again, that is related to inadequate vaccination.

Vaccination efforts for polio were (and I think for the most part still are) on hold as well because it wasn't known if it was worse to risk spreading COVID. It also doesn't help that in these countries there is a problem with vaccine refusal (although you can say the same thing about here and measles so...) and outright bans on the vaccine by certain factions. There are issues with vaccine derived outbreaks as well.

Vaccination efforts for polio were (and I think for the most part still are) on hold as well because it wasn't known if it was worse to risk spreading COVID. It also doesn't help that in these countries there is a problem with vaccine refusal (although you can say the same thing about here and measles so...) and outright bans on the vaccine by certain factions. There are issues with vaccine derived outbreaks as well.
Yeah I didn't want to actually say the v-word. Spending more time with your family? Doesn't cause polio or measles. Not getting a vaccination and spending time with anyone other than your cat? Increases risks of both.

There have been lots of recent studies that debunk the hydroxychloroquine z-pack/zinc treatment. If it really worked, all doctors would be prescribing it and it wouldn't be a controversial treatment (unless you subscribe to conspiracy theories). I don't understand how an antibiotic is supposed to help a viral infection - I've always been told that antibiotics have no effect on corona viruses.
You must have missed my earlier post. hydroxychloroquine /z-pack and /zinc treatment does work but it has to be administered in the first 6 days to be effective. The FDA has a requirement that a Positive Test has to be done first before the Hydroxychloroquine can be prescribed. That posses a problem with the current test. It can take over a week to get the results back. By that time its too late to get the good results you want from hydroxychloroquine /z-pack and /zinc treatment. Hydroxychloroquine has been classified as a safe drug for 65 years. They use it to treat Malaria, LUPUS and Arthritis. It wasn't until President Trump mentioned it that it got demonized. Many doctors in other countries have been using it with Z-Pack and Zinc for early treatment with success. They don't have an FDA that says they need a positive test result first to prescribe it. They say this combination when administered early reduces the death rate by 50%. These are front line doctors and not Administrators like Dr. Fauci. The virus connects to the cell with its sharp prongs and then enters the cell where it begins the process of duplicating itself. Zinc will kill the virus but it can't get through the cell wall to get at it. However Hydroxychloroquine can make an opening in the cell that allows the zinc into the cell to kill the virus. The purpose of the Z-Pack is to clean up any bacteria that might be present to prevent bacterial infection since Z-pack is an antibiotic and it doesn't kill the virus itself. That is the purpose of the three drug combo. But the Breathalyzer test that was recently developed in Israel allows 90% accurate test results in 1 Minute. That is even a higher accuracy rate than what they are using now and its light years faster. So, don't strike out hydroxychloroquine /z-pack and /zinc treatment just yet. Even with our 7 league boots we are required to wear in fighting this virus it might be sooner than you think that they will do a reversal on this treatment due to the Breathalyzer test soon becoming available. Therapeutics might hold a better promise for treatment than any vaccine. An who can say just how safe a vaccine would be anyhow. And therapeutics just might already be available.

You must have missed my earlier post. hydroxychloroquine /z-pack and /zinc treatment does work but it has to be administered in the first 6 days to be effective. The FDA has a requirement that a Positive Test has to be done first before the Hydroxychloroquine can be prescribed. That posses a problem with the current test. It can take over a week to get the results back. By that time its too late to get the good results you want from hydroxychloroquine /z-pack and /zinc treatment. Hydroxychloroquine has been classified as a safe drug for 65 years. They use it to treat Malaria, LUPUS and Arthritis. It wasn't until President Trump mentioned it that it got demonized. Many doctors in other countries have been using it with Z-Pack and Zinc for early treatment with success. They don't have an FDA that says they need a positive test result first to prescribe it. They say this combination when administered early reduces the death rate by 50%. These are front line doctors and not Administrators like Dr. Fauci. The virus connects to the cell with its sharp prongs and then enters the cell where it begins the process of duplicating itself. Zinc will kill the virus but it can't get through the cell wall to get at it. However Hydroxychloroquine can make an opening in the cell that allows the zinc into the cell to kill the virus. The purpose of the Z-Pack is to clean up any bacteria that might be present to prevent bacterial infection since Z-pack is an antibiotic and it doesn't kill the virus itself. That is the purpose of the three drug combo. But the Breathalyzer test that was recently developed in Israel allows 90% accurate test results in 1 Minute. That is even a higher accuracy rate than what they are using now and its light years faster. So, don't strike out hydroxychloroquine /z-pack and /zinc treatment just yet. Even with our 7 league boots we are required to wear in fighting this virus it might be sooner than you think that they will do a reversal on this treatment due to the Breathalyzer test soon becoming available. Therapeutics might hold a better promise for treatment than any vaccine. An who can say just how safe a vaccine would be anyhow. And therapeutics just might already be available.

There is so much in this that I want to disagree with but I am loathe to do so without evidence. Can you provide a link to which countries are using this successfully?

As far as I understand the breathalyser test is not ready for approval for lots of reasons inc cost and until it is we need to get on with what we have.

We need better,faster testing. Better and more therapeutics.

And we all need to wear a mask (or whatever face covering we can).

Last edited:
The “results” of US testing were not accurate as double blind testing wasn’t done. Most countries have a similar body to the FDA approving drugs. Ours is the TGA.
https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp...l-for-covid-19-treatments-what-we-know-so-far

Stay tuned as this C-19 just keeps getting better.
In mass where the Veterans home had so many sick and die, one person who was sick (confirmed) recovered and now just got sick again, positive with C-19.

Like I had said before, if the world would just stop for 3 weeks we would have had this in a semi checkmate. At least if the US had totally shut for 3 weeks we would be closer to that.

On a happy/sad note, C-19 gave me a new job with OT every week and a healthy rate of pay. SO I have not been on here lately, nor soaping

Stay tuned as this C-19 just keeps getting better.
In mass where the Veterans home had so many sick and die, one person who was sick (confirmed) recovered and now just got sick again, positive with C-19.

Like I had said before, if the world would just stop for 3 weeks we would have had this in a semi checkmate. At least if the US had totally shut for 3 weeks we would be closer to that.

On a happy/sad note, C-19 gave me a new job with OT every week and a healthy rate of pay. SO I have not been on here lately, nor soaping
Stories like this don't instill a lot of confidence in me that a vaccine will work.

city victoria australia is at stage 4 lockdown, news this morning was about food shortages, the government has limited staff in the food supply chain :eek: police and armed forced are enforcing curfew, noone can leave their home before 5am or after 8pm, the fines are up to 20 thousand for someone out a second time (for "particularly selfish behaviour" was the way this was announced by the premier)
*edited
one person per household is allowed out to shop most shops are closed except for supermarkets pharmacies and a few essential shops shopping is limited to the nearest shop or under 5km from home and for no more than one hour
supermarkets are limiting purchases
https://www.news.com.au/world/coron...s/news-story/0206b53143b9e6bf9087f92211504f6bI was talking to my local this morning - where she is from the supermarket is having trouble getting enough stock and she said they have been out of meat and fresh vegetables for days

Last edited:
city victoria australia is at stage 4 lockdown

news this morning was about food shortages
the government has limited staff in the food supply chain :eek:

police and armed forced are enforcing curfew
noone can leave their home before 5am or after 8pm
the fines are up to 20 thousand for someone out a second time (for "particularly selfish behaviour" was the way this was announced by the premier)

*edited
one person per household is allowed out to shop
most shops are closed except for supermarkets pharmacies and a few essential shops
shopping is limited to the nearest shop or under 5km from home and for no more than one hour

supermarkets are limiting purchases
https://www.news.com.au/world/coron...s/news-story/0206b53143b9e6bf9087f92211504f6b
I was talking to my local this morning - where she is from the supermarket is having trouble getting enough stock and she said they have been out of meat and fresh vegetables for days

That food chain problem happened here in the states at the beginning of the first wave. It was alarming. We had enough to eat, but it made everyone feel very insecure. Our food chain was sending a great percentage of food to restaurants, and it took them a while to figure out how to change that and send it to grocery stores. Once it began to correct itself, hoarding decreased and items became more available, although some things are just impossible to find depending on where you live. Food here has gotten more expensive as a result of the pandemic.
I found I could live without some things that I ate routinely. I realized I was a spoiled brat from being able to get what I wanted when I wanted it. It was a reality check for a lot of people. Unfortunately there is a lot of food insecurity here due to unemployment, but that is different from it being unavailable.
I don't know what it is like where you are, but a lot of restaurants started selling food from their stock. There was some emergency relaxation of regulations that previously banned that in order to help the restaurants and those unable to find food in groceries. Something that really helped me was that I found I could get a lot of things straight from the manufacturer online rather than trying to find it lower in the chain.
Hang in there! I bet it will get better as they figure it out. Good luck!

That food chain problem happened here in the states at the beginning of the first wave. It was alarming. We had enough to eat, but it made everyone feel very insecure. Our food chain was sending a great percentage of food to restaurants, and it took them a while to figure out how to change that and send it to grocery stores. Once it began to correct itself, hoarding decreased and items became more available, although some things are just impossible to find depending on where you live. Food here has gotten more expensive as a result of the pandemic.
I found I could live without some things that I ate routinely. I realized I was a spoiled brat from being able to get what I wanted when I wanted it. It was a reality check for a lot of people. Unfortunately there is a lot of food insecurity here due to unemployment, but that is different from it being unavailable.
I don't know what it is like where you are, but a lot of restaurants started selling food from their stock. There was some emergency relaxation of regulations that previously banned that in order to help the restaurants and those unable to find food in groceries. Something that really helped me was that I found I could get a lot of things straight from the manufacturer online rather than trying to find it lower in the chain.
Hang in there! I bet it will get better as they figure it out. Good luck!

thank you, it is good to hear that the food chain supply does get better. I did find one fresh food supplier they are using their vans to deliver fresh food to people at home now the restaurants are shut, you are right, buying direct from local growers and manufacturers makes a lot of sense

I listened in on two doctors hashing things over with covid tonight. Apparently the hyperbaric chamber is helpful.

The theory is that it only helps while you are in it, but once you are out, you desat again (oxygen levels go back down). Being in the chamber allows your lungs to keep up a good level of oxygen to help you recover.

Problem is, that there are not that many hyperbaric chambers around. We are like one of two within a 50 mile radius...and im near the coast....ppl get the bends a lot here with diving accidents, so they really get used a lot. I work at both of these hospitals, and havent heard of our chambers being used for covid (One is my ft job, the other is my per diem job).

The hyperbaric chamber is only a theory though. I will do more poking around on this.

I havent posted any frontline stories lately:

one of our ct techs didnt get paid for being out with covid because “she couldnt prove where she got it”. What kind of crap is that.

They wouldnt test her to begin with, she had to get her own test at a drive thru to find out she was positive.

she was allowed to come back to work without a covid test to say she was negative before returning to work. So yay us Coworkers who get to work in close quarters with her.

our trauma nurse is still out with covid. Its been a month now.

Tonight i walked into the er, and the er doc told me to stay away from the “B” side of our er if i could because they were all covid...rooms 11-22...but then ordered a ct scan on every single one of those patients.

our hospital is offering free testing to first responders, but not us, even if we have symptoms.

our ppe situation seems to be better. I havent had a problem.

one (or more) employees has talked to the media about what its “really like” in the hospital. Wish i could take credit for that.

ER doc told me tonight that she got in trouble for ordering too many rapid covid tests on patients.

Guess thats all i got....

I talked to one of the ER docs and asked why they keep ordering PE (lung clots) studies on covid patients...apparently ppl with covid develop a clotting disorder and a lot of them are getting either pulmonary embolisms or having strokes as an added bonus.

Hi, there @Catscankim Yes, here in South Africa they are starting to treat Covid19 patients with 2-3 types of blood thinners as Drs are starting to believe covid19 is a more a vascular problem, than a respiratory problem. I'll attach a video below.
Basically it sounds as if they are saying the lungs work, but the virus causes a cascade of little clots to form in the capillaries around the alveolus, preventing oxygen from being absorbed into the bloodstream.

My sister works as a pharmacist at the hospital, and she became very ill over the weekend and has been admitted into the hospital on Monday. She is in a tremendous amount of body pain, fever and she can't breathe. She's been on oxygen since Monday.
We dropped her off on Monday and we have not heard anything from the hospital in 3 days. Its really tough not being able to visit family in the hospital, and then still also not receiving feedback from the hospital about their condition either.

Just from a few WhatsApp msgs from my sister, It sounds like she is having a very rough day today,
All we can do is pray for her and wait.

Hi, there @Catscankim Yes, here in South Africa they are starting to treat Covid19 patients with 2-3 types of blood thinners as Drs are starting to believe covid19 is a more a vascular problem, than a respiratory problem. I'll attach a video below.
Basically it sounds as if they are saying the lungs work, but the virus causes a cascade of little clots to form in the capillaries around the alveolus, preventing oxygen from being absorbed into the bloodstream.

My sister works as a pharmacist at the hospital, and she became very ill over the weekend and has been admitted into the hospital on Monday. She is in a tremendous amount of body pain, fever and she can't breathe. She's been on oxygen since Monday.
We dropped her off on Monday and we have not heard anything from the hospital in 3 days. Its really tough not being able to visit family in the hospital, and then still also not receiving feedback from the hospital about their condition either.

Just from a few WhatsApp msgs from my sister, It sounds like she is having a very rough day today,

That is fascinating. I have heard there is a vascular component, but I had thought this was secondary to the other issues. It does make sense if the inflammatory response is going haywire.

Also, I am so sorry about your sister. Sending positive vibes for healing your/her way.

Hoping for the best for your sister. 🧡

Latest posts

Back