Coronavirus

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today was a rough day for me. 30 years as a massage therapist and I have no idea what I’m going to do. I can’t work, and I don’t even want to. Even with masks that close proximity is too risky. I’m just so anxious and sad. Didn’t really think I was going to have to figure out a new line of work at 50.... anyway, some days are ok, today really wasn’t. I’m going to make soap tomorrow. Really wish I could just make soap for a living. Bet I could be a hundredaire!

I am sorry TashaBird. I wish i had good advice for you. Being close to 50 myself and thinking recently....im to old for this crap lol. Been in my field for 25 years.

i probably wont do it, but i thought of medical coding. Very short schooling, they make good money, and most work from home.

So my work horror story from today lol....

Our trauma nurse is still out with covid. Shes super sick and says that she feels like every bone in her body is broken. She did a video call with the PA at her dr office and he said that he cant prescribe pain meds “on the phone”. Shes diagnosed....so what the heck is she supposed to do since shes not exactly welcomed IN the office.

CT tech hasnt gotten her test results back yet, but she spoke with employee health, and based on her symptoms they have put her under quarantine.

she wears full ppe gear for her entire shift no matter if she needs to or not. I actually yelled at her one day that she needs to breathe once in a while or shes gonna make herself sick. She never takes it off...n95 with a mask on top....face shield, goggles. All this and i just found out that she went to a 4th of july house party with 50 ppl....her husband and his mother, and a bunch of ppl at that party are all sick and tested positive. This INFURIATES me. Stupid child. I imagine all of these 50 ppl are gonna be sick. Why the show with the “gearing up” for hours at a time, just to go to a party later....

As far as the ER tonight, i only know of one positive, but i was super busy so didnt really pay attention too much.

I talked to one of the ER docs and asked why they keep ordering PE (lung clots) studies on covid patients...apparently ppl with covid develop a clotting disorder and a lot of them are getting either pulmonary embolisms or having strokes as an added bonus.

That sounds like a horrible night. It's crazy that they all turned up positive. I'm sending you good vibes that you can keep your health.

Also, I've read quite a few of your messages since you've joined. It literally has taken me until now to figure out your screen name...so I'm facepalming right now.
LOL

there is a story behind that. Years ago at a hospital i worked at, they had a rule that you needed to answer the phone with your dept and name. Makes sense lol.

so i answer the phone cat scan, kim....i guess i say it fast lol.

i was in the cafeteria and i was ordering food, and this woman in front of me is like, “omg! Catscankim!” She was the hospital operator lol. We never met, she just knew my voice from the phone lol

So my work horror story from today lol....

Our trauma nurse is still out with covid. Shes super sick and says that she feels like every bone in her body is broken. She did a video call with the PA at her dr office and he said that he cant prescribe pain meds “on the phone”. Shes diagnosed....so what the heck is she supposed to do since shes not exactly welcomed IN the office.

CT tech hasnt gotten her test results back yet, but she spoke with employee health, and based on her symptoms they have put her under quarantine.

she wears full ppe gear for her entire shift no matter if she needs to or not. I actually yelled at her one day that she needs to breathe once in a while or shes gonna make herself sick. She never takes it off...n95 with a mask on top....face shield, goggles. All this and i just found out that she went to a 4th of july house party with 50 ppl....her husband and his mother, and a bunch of ppl at that party are all sick and tested positive. This INFURIATES me. Stupid child. I imagine all of these 50 ppl are gonna be sick. Why the show with the “gearing up” for hours at a time, just to go to a party later....

As far as the ER tonight, i only know of one positive, but i was super busy so didnt really pay attention too much.

I talked to one of the ER docs and asked why they keep ordering PE (lung clots) studies on covid patients...apparently ppl with covid develop a clotting disorder and a lot of them are getting either pulmonary embolisms or having strokes as an added bonus.
For the USA, do be cautious about new covid numbers as they aren't going to the CDC anymore...
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/cdc-covid-19-data/
For me, in Colorado, starting tomorrow we're doing mandatory masks for everyone including customers. Before it was only employees who have to wear one. My sister in law is already throwing a fit over her "constitutional rights" or something >.>

If only our federal govt could make a full decision on freezing payments or even giving out funds but it feels like they're just trying to delay anything until they think covid will just blow over or something. Not to mention people who don't bat an eye at 165k people dead because 99% recovery is a better sounding number. It's a scary time.
I keep up with the cases and deaths by using the John Hopkins dashboard. It has been lauded to be very accurate. You can search by country, state in the US, etc. Here is the link.

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/map.html
I wonder if HHS will even let us know what the numbers are. This seems to be a deliberate obsfuscation of the information. It's maddening.

Yep, we're getting a ton of these as well as excessive amounts of CTA Head/Neck studies. DESPITE the fact that contrast administration is contraindicated for Covid patients due to the propensity for renal failure!!

And as for the mask debate...I've actually had people get snarky with me for wearing a mask in a grocery store more than once. One of those times I was in my work scrubs (because we have to shop too and our free time is limited right now) and this woman approached me and said "You know that mask doesn't protect you, right?"
Ummm, YEAH dahlin I AM aware of that. I'm wearing it to protect YOU. Do you see what else I'm wearing? I'm rolling in Covid 5 to 6 days a week so I'm trying to be a decent, responsible member of society. But if my mask bothers you so much, I can take it off and we can have a nice long talk about why it bothers you so much. Heck, I'll even give you a big ole hug to apologize for offending you!
The look on her face was priceless and she got away from me toute de suite!

Greetings from Indonesia. Our situation here is also worsened with spread of covid 19 due to people not exercising proper safety discipline in public. Because of this pandemic, I started to step into soap business for hands and dishes. With increasing usage of soap, I hope I can help to provide soap that are gentle to hands.

our front line people here are getting exhausted in PPE

this pandemic is harsh
i have sore spots behind my ears from the masks combined with my glasses. My glasses are progressives, so they need to sit just right on my face or else everything is like looking through a glass of water. Im constantly touching, moving, adjusting my glasses and mask straps cause it hurts or i cant see.

i have sore spots behind my ears from the masks combined with my glasses. My glasses are progressives, so they need to sit just right on my face or else everything is like looking through a glass of water. Im constantly touching, moving, adjusting my glasses and mask straps cause it hurts or i cant see.
I would suggest that you think about getting one of those adapters that let's you fasten your mask on the back of your head. If I had to wear a mask all day, my ears would be so sore that I could not wear my glasses. The skin behind the ears is so tender! You could probably make them yourself or find them cheaper. This is just the first version I found when googling. Just a thought.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/792742803/mask-extender-set-of-5-button-adapter

Have you seen this idea?

Attachments

• 28DA814C-1087-422F-9892-BAC7AB82431E.png
    28DA814C-1087-422F-9892-BAC7AB82431E.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 16
I would suggest that you think about getting one of those adapters that let's you fasten your mask on the back of your head. If I had to wear a mask all day, my ears would be so sore that I could not wear my glasses. The skin behind the ears is so tender! You could probably make them yourself or find them cheaper. This is just the first version I found when googling. Just a thought.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/792742803/mask-extender-set-of-5-button-adapter
I have seen a lot of ppl with those. We actually had a bunch of them donated to the hospital and for a while they were laying around everywhere, but i never grabbed one. Iv watched ppl put them on and they seem a little cumbersome, especially since we generally wear two masks....n95 plus a surgical mask on top.

i have off this weekend so im gonna find a surgical hat pattern that i can sew and add buttons to wrap the mask straps on. I dunno. This might be out of my skillset. I do quilting, never followed a hat pattern before lol.

Have you seen this idea?
THAT looks like a good idea

Soooo....one of our ct techs just tested positive. Dont get me wrong, i do not think this is because of work. Stupid kid went to a house party 50+ ppl. All of them are sick. Im so mad at her. How irresponsible and now possibly infecting the rest of us in the past two weeks.

There are only 7 of us, now 6. We were short staffed to begin with...

anyway. I was talking to a nurse yesterday. She said “at least we arent at 50% today” im like 50% what.... “50% of our er/trauma all week have been positive”. So im guessing there are stats around somewhere. I dont have work this weekend, so i will find out where she got those stats on monday when i go back.

I need to hit the lottery

The family and I met up with a friend of ours and her boyfriend for the afternoon. She greeted me by giving me a big hug. I think it was the first hug I've gotten from a friend in at least 5 months! And she loves my soaps, she even bought 3 bars.

My hubby suggested that we try to get my mom over here for a couple of months. She's 72, has asthma and lives in Texas. We are worried about her. She is very careful, wears a mask when she goes out and is still social distancing, but I think her social distancing is slipping a bit lately. I don't know if she will come or not. She can come into the country and stay for 90 days, which might be enough time for things to cool down a bit in the States. Or not. I dunno anymore. If she comes here and things are still looking bad in the States, we might try to get her temporary refugee status. Or send her to visit my cousin in the UK. I'm terrified that she might get sick and I'm on the other side of the world.

The family and I met up with a friend of ours and her boyfriend for the afternoon. She greeted me by giving me a big hug. I think it was the first hug I've gotten from a friend in at least 5 months! And she loves my soaps, she even bought 3 bars.

My hubby suggested that we try to get my mom over here for a couple of months. She's 72, has asthma and lives in Texas. We are worried about her. She is very careful, wears a mask when she goes out and is still social distancing, but I think her social distancing is slipping a bit lately. I don't know if she will come or not. She can come into the country and stay for 90 days, which might be enough time for things to cool down a bit in the States. Or not. I dunno anymore. If she comes here and things are still looking bad in the States, we might try to get her temporary refugee status. Or send her to visit my cousin in the UK. I'm terrified that she might get sick and I'm on the other side of the world.
That seems like it might be a good idea. I hope she considers it.

There are so many variables. I dont know a right or wrong answer. You do whats right for you.

I do think that all parties should be tested first and then self quarantine Until she gets to you. Personal opinion only.

i have sore spots behind my ears from the masks combined with my glasses.

my husband stretches out a paperclip to use as an ear protector. It’s reusable if you want it to be but also easy to toss/remake if you get worried about contamination. I occasionally use a ribbon to tie back my masks, it has the added benefit of allowing me to tighten the seal around the mask if I need it.

Soooo....one of our ct techs just tested positive. Dont get me wrong, i do not think this is because of work. Stupid kid went to a house party 50+ ppl. All of them are sick. Im so mad at her. How irresponsible and now possibly infecting the rest of us in the past two weeks.

There are only 7 of us, now 6. We were short staffed to begin with...

anyway. I was talking to a nurse yesterday. She said “at least we arent at 50% today” im like 50% what.... “50% of our er/trauma all week have been positive”. So im guessing there are stats around somewhere. I dont have work this weekend, so i will find out where she got those stats on monday when i go back.
These younger people just don't seem to get it. You would think that with her being a hospital worker that she would be a little more enlightened than your typical 20-30ish year old and would not put herself or her co workers in potential danger by engaging in risky behavior. We are going through a similar situation in our city right now. Up until now we have been fairly fortunate, but due to the recent holiday weekend and living in a tourist town, we are getting a significant cluster of cases from young people coming to our town to party. So far the tally is at 35 confirmed cases (6 being hospital staff) and hundreds at risk. Multiple businesses are having to close down in an attempt to stop the spread. Most affected so far are in their 20's and 30's, but who knows who they may have passed it on to between catching it and getting diagnosed. It is frustrating that not everyone is taking this seriously. Until it has fully played out and no new cases emerge for awhile, I am staying home. I went shopping today to grab several hundred dollars worth of food and supplies I might need for the next few weeks, and now I am staying away from everyone but my immediate family. I feel badly for those not in the same position as I am and have no other choice but to go out into public places on a regular basis.
Stay safe @Catscankim I can only imagine what hell it would be to wear an n95 mask your whole shift!

Students over 12 are required to wear a mask in class from Thursday morning
homemade bandanas are allowed
see some interesting classes coming up

Last edited:
I haven’t seen my grand babies since February; youngest wasn’t even a month old and now he’s a six-month old chunka chunk. Talked to my son on Wednesday and he said he sees no reason why we can’t come up next month for his oldest’s birthday...she will be four. PROVIDING...he and his girlfriend test negative after being exposed via daughter’s daycare.

Youngest daughter is battling Unemployment. Not a problem getting UI while she was sick with CV-19 until she returned to work full-time, it’s that she quit her job because after retuning to full duty, she found she could no longer do her job due to respiratory issues.

Outside of my immediate household, I’ve only hugged one other person. That was a very good friend who had just lost her daughter due to CV-19. Her daughter had just retuned to work after being out for 8 weeks, was looking forward to spending a quiet weekend with her boyfriend...32-years old and she had a stroke.

I’m back at the office, but it’s closed to the public except by appointment and we have an office located next to the side door that is strictly for that. We don’t have to wear masks while in our respective offices, only in the common areas or while going to other offices.

I’m just so sick and tired of it all. I’ve lost several friends over it (differences), both of my sisters have drunk the Kook-Aid and my Knitting Retreat was canceled!!! Now we have all this BLM crap and nightly riots. I’m tired of all the ‘experts’, I’m tired of the ‘race baiters’, I’m sick of all the hatred and violence being spewed by everyone. I just want to order FOs and get them in a week instead of three weeks. I want to go to the yarn store and squish the squish yarn with my bare hands. I want to hug my grandbabies!

I haven’t seen my grand babies since February; youngest wasn’t even a month old and now he’s a six-month old chunka chunk. Talked to my son on Wednesday and he said he sees no reason why we can’t come up next month for his oldest’s birthday...she will be four. PROVIDING...he and his girlfriend test negative after being exposed via daughter’s daycare.

Youngest daughter is battling Unemployment. Not a problem getting UI while she was sick with CV-19 until she returned to work full-time, it’s that she quit her job because after retuning to full duty, she found she could no longer do her job due to respiratory issues.

Outside of my immediate household, I’ve only hugged one other person. That was a very good friend who had just lost her daughter due to CV-19. Her daughter had just retuned to work after being out for 8 weeks, was looking forward to spending a quiet weekend with her boyfriend...32-years old and she had a stroke.

I’m back at the office, but it’s closed to the public except by appointment and we have an office located next to the side door that is strictly for that. We don’t have to wear masks while in our respective offices, only in the common areas or while going to other offices.

I’m just so sick and tired of it all. I’ve lost several friends over it (differences), both of my sisters have drunk the Kook-Aid and my Knitting Retreat was canceled!!! Now we have all this BLM crap and nightly riots. I’m tired of all the ‘experts’, I’m tired of the ‘race baiters’, I’m sick of all the hatred and violence being spewed by everyone. I just want to order FOs and get them in a week instead of three weeks. I want to go to the yarn store and squish the squish yarn with my bare hands. I want to hug my grandbabies!
Im so sorry gecko. I feel your pain. Reading your post...i really feel your pain.

i dont know how to get back to normal. I live alone, so this isolation is pretty hard. Yeah, i have work, but then i go home, alone. Except my furballs.

i get home from work and literally strip down at the door (after i let the dog out, she cant wait lol). My new sneakers have been washed and bleached so many times they look like they are 5 years old. Everybody always laughed at me for wearing only white leather sneakers. I was trained that way. White can be cleaned properly.

i been up since 4am cleaning my house and sanitizing cause i have some virex i “borrowed” from the hospital.

My daughter is out of work. First furloughed, now officially let go. She just bought her house right before all of this. I offered for her to come here, but her fiancé said no because of my job.

i play pool. They are starting league back up today at the billiard. My friend is the owner. She assured me that all social distancing guidelines are being followed and tons on hand sanitizer available blah blah blah. With all the crap i deal with at the hospital....”I” am not afraid of them, they should be afraid of me.

i might test the water. I dunno. I dont want anybody to come back and say kim showed up at league last week and now im sick.

Aaaaand, i planned on either getting some sun in the back yard or going to the beach, but the weather keeps saying its going to storm soon (since 9am). so i didnt go out. Its still sunny with zero rain. Stupid weaterman.

im sure once i pack up and go out, it will turn into a hurricane lol

Back