Coronavirus

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very true, your face mask keeps your germs to yourself.

Also true, your face mask stops the droplets that non-masked people spew out while talking, sneezing, coughing from getting in your nose and mouth. It also stops you from touching your nose and mouth after touching contaminated surfaces.

Here's a list.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1f-GLRUje1sf9fmK2oqAKZnHOo0OnpXNrVy8QPinu_dU/edit
I am not trying to cause dissension. I care about the people on this forum, and their families. I want everyone to be well. If you can't wear a mask, wear a face shield. It is better than nothing until proved otherwise. Just be sure to clean it properly after each use.

20BFE5E2-0DC3-47A7-8254-A52F715A3B29.png

I found out last weekend that while we were in shut down, here in Australia, a month ago if you were pregnant and went to hospital to deliver the baby your husband could not be with you in the delivery room. I can’t imagine how stressful that would be for mothers - yes I know when I was born men didn’t hold their wive’s hand but these days expectations are different.
I had to go to cancer treatments alone through this.

Hope

I wear a mask to protect YOU and I need you to wear one to protect me.

This is why I get a little frustrated about the whole mask thing. So many people do not get this ^ point. Wearing masks only works if everyone is willing to do it. Unfortunately though, when you wear a mask you aren't protecting yourself as much as you are protecting others. Wearing a mask is more a respect for the health and welfare of others, and people tend to be selfish (the comments sections on social media sites definitely make me believe this) and so they don't want to be bothered wearing a mask as they have heard that it doesn't protect them from respiratory droplets in the air....which would be minimized greatly if everyone wore a mask.
I understand that there might be a small amount of people who can't wear a mask for legitimate medical reasons, but the vast majority of people do not genuinely fit into that category. Those who have serious medical issues that prevent them from wearing a mask should be taking all precautions possible to not be in public situations unless absolutely necessary since their outcome from contracting the virus is pretty grave.
I have some lung issues and do struggle with an n95 mask, but I can wear a basic surgical or homemade mask, which is really what we should be wearing in public places anyhow. (save the n95 for medical professionals) Is it my preference to wear a mask? No, but I do it to be respectful of the health of others and hope they will reciprocate as I do not want this virus, nor would I want to pass it on to anyone else. I hope that if enough people start wearing masks that it won't be such a "taboo". Therefor, I choose to wear a mask in public, even though I am a definitely a minority in this habit. I would rather error on the side of caution than take a chance on unintentionally spreading a virus to others who might not survive it. I am fortunate to live in an area where we have not been hard hit by this virus and could probably get away with not wearing a mask and be totally safe....BUT, our situation could change at any time. The US has shown me that. I would rather be prepared and not fight a simple change in habit that could save myself, or the lives of others. Wear a mask. It isn't a big deal once you get used to it. It is awkward and uncomfortable to start, but you adjust. I am old enough to remember life before it was a law to wear seatbelts....everyone complained about it back when it was enforced too, but I certainly would not feel comfortable minus a seatbelt now. People need to adjust to new situations as they come up. We are supposed to be the most evolved species on earth, but some days I truly wonder. (this might have been more appropriate for the gripe page?)

I just came from work. They reopened our tents, and also two more COVID units and an overflow floor

They should have never closed the tents. That allowed WHOLE families to just enter the hospital “ummmm, we tested positive”, when a few weeks ago they were directed to the tents for triage.

still, morons with no business being in the er are showing up...dental pain, earaches....stuff that most ppl call their doctor for. Clogging up the er. If i didnt have to be in that cesspool i wouldnt. Why you bringing your kid in for a fat lip, put freakin ice on it she will be fine. And babies shouldnt wear masks because of co2, but yet here they are for non emergent complaints. It infuriates me!

one girl showed up because cotton from a qtip was stuck in her ear. Our er doc went out to the waiting room with tweezers and just pulled it out. GO HOME, STAY HOME Lol

Dr. Fauci is supposed to be the expert. He is regularly moving the goal post. First he said don't wear mask, now he says wear mask. That doesn't sound much like an expert. Sounds more like he is flying by the seat of his pants. The virus is very small. Just to give you an idea how small. The average human hair is about 70 microns in diameter. The holes in a coffee filter are about 20 microns in diameter. The covid19 virus is Dot 125 microns in diameter. That is about an eighth of a micron. the best vacuum filters will filter a particle about 3 microns in diameter. No Reputable Studies have been done that has proven wearing a mask protects anyone. The frontline forces in the hospitals wear N95 masks and they still catch the virus too. We want to believe wearing a mask makes a difference but we have only our feelings on that and no hard evidence. On the other hand. Wearing a mask for someone who is challenged on their breathing already, like a person with Asthma or other lung problems might be doing more harm than even the supposed good. Trying to stop the virus with a mask is like throwing a handful of b-b's and expecting a chain link fence to stop them. The virus doesn't just ride on water droplets it also rides on air currents and can probably travel greater distances than the 6 feet we allow for social distancing. And we don't really know how long it can glide on air currents. Maybe for hours like a hand glider can. But if it makes you feel safe to wear a mask then wear one. But I would think you would be better served by maintaining distance and keeping your hands away from your head entirely and wash them often. Just a few observations I have made. Don't know if they make you feel safer or not but if they make you think then I have accomplished my purpose. To the person who had to go for cancer treatments alone, that has to be frightening. I am sorry the CCP did this to you. I pray that you fully recover from that cancer. To everyone else. Have a great day everyone.

I just came from work. They reopened our tents, and also two more COVID units and an overflow floor

They should have never closed the tents. That allowed WHOLE families to just enter the hospital “ummmm, we tested positive”, when a few weeks ago they were directed to the tents for triage.

still, morons with no business being in the er are showing up...dental pain, earaches....stuff that most ppl call their doctor for. Clogging up the er. If i didnt have to be in that cesspool i wouldnt. Why you bringing your kid in for a fat lip, put freakin ice on it she will be fine. And babies shouldnt wear masks because of co2, but yet here they are for non emergent complaints. It infuriates me!

one girl showed up because cotton from a qtip was stuck in her ear. Our er doc went out to the waiting room with tweezers and just pulled it out. GO HOME, STAY HOME Lol
I'm glad you are able to laugh about it after you get home. I know it's never funny when you are at work and stressed out. Stay safe, dodge the idiots (they DON'T know who they are), and be well.

Dr. Fauci is supposed to be the expert. He is regularly moving the goal post. First he said don't wear mask, now he says wear mask. That doesn't sound much like an expert. Sounds more like he is flying by the seat of his pants. The virus is very small. Just to give you an idea how small. The average human hair is about 70 microns in diameter. The holes in a coffee filter are about 20 microns in diameter. The covid19 virus is Dot 125 microns in diameter. That is about an eighth of a micron. the best vacuum filters will filter a particle about 3 microns in diameter. No Reputable Studies have been done that has proven wearing a mask protects anyone. The frontline forces in the hospitals wear N95 masks and they still catch the virus too. We want to believe wearing a mask makes a difference but we have only our feelings on that and no hard evidence. On the other hand. Wearing a mask for someone who is challenged on their breathing already, like a person with Asthma or other lung problems might be doing more harm than even the supposed good. Trying to stop the virus with a mask is like throwing a handful of b-b's and expecting a chain link fence to stop them. The virus doesn't just ride on water droplets it also rides on air currents and can probably travel greater distances than the 6 feet we allow for social distancing. And we don't really know how long it can glide on air currents. Maybe for hours like a hand glider can. But if it makes you feel safe to wear a mask then wear one. But I would think you would be better served by maintaining distance and keeping your hands away from your head entirely and wash them often. Just a few observations I have made. Don't know if they make you feel safer or not but if they make you think then I have accomplished my purpose. To the person who had to go for cancer treatments alone, that has to be frightening. I am sorry the CCP did this to you. I pray that you fully recover from that cancer. To everyone else. Have a great day everyone.

Dr. Fauci changes his recommendations based on current knowledge, which is a good thing. New virus, evolving knowledge.

https://www.healthaffairs.org/doi/10.1377/hlthaff.2020.00818https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2020/06/21/880832213/yes-wearing-masks-helps-heres-whyhttps://www.ucsf.edu/news/2020/06/4...s-heres-science-behind-how-face-masks-prevent
Need more? Just google it.

First he said don't wear mask, now he says wear mask.
Dr. Fauci changes his recommendations based on current knowledge, which is a good thing. New virus, evolving knowledge.

He also had/has to watch what he says because of the current administration...(not trying to open up a political debate, but for sure he was censored in the beginning). I think that has improved since the start of the pandemic

Plus, from what I understand, they didn't want people panic buying n-95s which were and still are in short supply. I believe this is true because it is logical that people would have wanted to buy the best of the best to protect themselves.

Wear a mask or don't wear a mask.

If you wear a mask and it has zero effectiveness, you're no worse off.

If you wear a mask and it's 20% effective, you've added an additional layer to your defensive strategy.

I wash my hands regularly, only go out if I need to, physically distance AND wear a mask in public.

Stay safe out there!

I need opinions from my fellow healthcare workers.

so last week, i call evs for a terminal clean. I just scanned two super-sick covid pts. I watched her from the control room, and she walked in with no gear on, sprayed the table, and left. I was horrified while she was in there. I put my mask on and ran in to tell her to gear-up. She ignored me.

after, i literally followed her down to the elevator....excuse me miss, miss, ma’am....HELLO!!! That was supposed to be a terminal clean. Shes like, thats what you get for terminal clean. Total chip on her shoulder and i don't know why.

couple days later i scanned a couple covid pts again, and called evs for a terminal clean. Same woman ....supervisor!!!! says they no longer terminally clean ct scan. Its off-hours, so i called the nursing supervisor. She calls me back and says that evs supervisor (this same woman) says that we do our own room. WHAAAAT????

i emailed my director, she responds that the process hasnt changed (Meaning, they should be cleaning our room).

i worked this weekend, its after hours and its a holiday weekend...im fricken chasing my tail here.

what do you think? Call infection control??

I need opinions from my fellow healthcare workers.

so last week, i call evs for a terminal clean. I just scanned two super-sick covid pts. I watched her from the control room, and she walked in with no gear on, sprayed the table, and left. I was horrified while she was in there. I put my mask on and ran in to tell her to gear-up. She ignored me.

after, i literally followed her down to the elevator....excuse me miss, miss, ma’am....HELLO!!! That was supposed to be a terminal clean. Shes like, thats what you get for terminal clean. Total chip on her shoulder and i don't know why.

couple days later i scanned a couple covid pts again, and called evs for a terminal clean. Same woman ....supervisor!!!! says they no longer terminally clean ct scan. Its off-hours, so i called the nursing supervisor. She calls me back and says that evs supervisor (this same woman) says that we do our own room. WHAAAAT????

i emailed my director, she responds that the process hasnt changed (Meaning, they should be cleaning our room).

i worked this weekend, its after hours and its a holiday weekend...im fricken chasing my tail here.

what do you think? Call infection control??
DEFINITELY! Sorry, not yelling at you, using caps for emphasis. If she is not following protocol for you, she is likely not following protocol for others. That endangers staff, patients, and visitors all over the hospital. The other option is to ask your supervisor to call IFC if you would rather not "tattle", and you can trust your supervisor to do so. I wouldn't care about that myself, but I understand others feel differently. I think it's your duty to find out the truth of the matter and reinforce proper technique.

Yes, I would call infection control. Even if they do tell you to clean the room, at least you then know what you are supposed to do. But right now, you have no update on the policy or the procedure, so you need clarification on both. (I know you non-medical people are having fits right now wondering why I am quoting policy and procedure over this egregious refusal to clean, but if @Catscankim doesn't clean the room "correctly" according to P&P, SHE can be terminated and lose her licensing for not following P&P. And that's not to mention if someone gets sick and IC tracks it back to that room, then she can be sued. Following P&P keeps her employed and everyone safe.)

We have 100+ new covid cases In Victoria (a southern state In Oz). (That is a huge Number for us as most states had irradicated it here in Oz.) Some places in that state (including the capital) are back in lockdown and immediately we have shortages of toilet paper, flour, rice and pasta in NSW! A totally different practically covid free state! I don’t understand - didn’t people realise it wasn’t necessary last time?

Back