Coronavirus

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I went grocery shopping today, and was surprised to see easily 90% of people wearing masks. Two months ago, I was seeing probably 75% wearing masks and slowly decreasing to about 50% the last time I was there. I'm not saying that this is a trend. I think it was just as likely that it was a coincidence.

I live in the greater Minneapolis area, and I'm sure most of you have seen footage of the protests that have taken place since the death of George Floyd. What is interesting is that there hasn't as yet been a spike in covid cases. It may still come, but as of today, the number of new cases is declining. I wouldn't have expected to see that at all. The one explanation for that I have heard is that possibly because the protests took place outside and people were moving, the virus didn't spread as you would expect. There were a LOT of people close together for extended periods of time. Some were wearing masks and some weren't.

I really don't understand why the whole "it's not just about you" part is so difficult for some people. Like YOU might be ok possibly getting this and dying a slow, painful death, but I didn't survive cancer 5 years ago to die now.

Sadly, People can be very selfish. 😓

I live in the greater Minneapolis area, and I'm sure most of you have seen footage of the protests that have taken place since the death of George Floyd.
Hard not to notice since the protests became world-wide.

Our numbers here have been rising steadily since partially reopening, but not huge spikes like I expected or have see elsewhere like in FL.

Pretty sure our family had it back in March. We weren't allowed testing because of tight restrictions around qualifying and limited supply of testing gear...
still get very tired quickly and no end of lung trouble since. I don't like wearing a mask now because I feel suffocated.
Western Australia is free of it because of our isolation from the rest of the country, and lockdown is being rolled back again as of Monday. I am so terrified of going thru the same thing again I am happy to stay home...got no money to spend anyway!

I went grocery shopping today, and was surprised to see easily 90% of people wearing masks. Two months ago, I was seeing probably 75% wearing masks and slowly decreasing to about 50% the last time I was there. I'm not saying that this is a trend. I think it was just as likely that it was a coincidence.

I live in the greater Minneapolis area, and I'm sure most of you have seen footage of the protests that have taken place since the death of George Floyd. What is interesting is that there hasn't as yet been a spike in covid cases. It may still come, but as of today, the number of new cases is declining. I wouldn't have expected to see that at all. The one explanation for that I have heard is that possibly because the protests took place outside and people were moving, the virus didn't spread as you would expect. There were a LOT of people close together for extended periods of time. Some were wearing masks and some weren't.
I am also wondering if the protest being outside and most protesters masked will make a difference. I am hoping the numbers don't spike for every state. Then we are back to square one.

Pretty sure our family had it back in March. We weren't allowed testing because of tight restrictions around qualifying and limited supply of testing gear...
still get very tired quickly and no end of lung trouble since. I don't like wearing a mask now because I feel suffocated.
Western Australia is free of it because of our isolation from the rest of the country, and lockdown is being rolled back again as of Monday. I am so terrified of going thru the same thing again I am happy to stay home...got no money to spend anyway!
Around late February early March my husband was sick. He had a bad chest thing that dragged on. One Saturday night he couldn't breath and he didn't want to go to the hospital. I boiled water and added eucalyptus oil (soap making came in handy) and it loosened him up. The next morning we went to OnCall and his blood oxygen was at 80% they treated him with two nebulizer (sp?) treatments and sent him home with antibiotics and steroids. I am convinced he had it. No one even had really heard of Covid-19 at that point, and they certainly weren't testing.

I am also wondering if the protest being outside and most protesters masked will make a difference. I am hoping the numbers don't spike for every state. Then we are back to square one.
But I wouldn’t say most protesters were wearing masks. Maybe half...maybe. I’d say less from what I saw. We had continuous live coverage here for days because it was local.

Last night at work i found out...

-our covid floor is full
-they stopped rapid testing patients as of 1:30 pm yesterday afternoon. I dont know why. Yes its highly inaccurate, but it at least gives you a heads up on some patients.
-we are holding some covid patients (generally healthy) outside of the er on a bench
-unconfirmed patients are being sent to the floors (private room)

I havent received a new n95 mask since march

They are requiring us to wear goggles (new rule as of 1:30pm yesterday). YES PLEASE! They are not giving us goggles. Some nurses are sharing. Wheres my fricken goggles?? I cant even get a new mask.

I feel like we live in a 3rd world country.

-our covid floor is full
-they stopped rapid testing patients as of 1:30 pm yesterday afternoon. I dont know why. Yes its highly inaccurate, but it at least gives you a heads up on some patients.
-we are holding some covid patients (generally healthy) outside of the er on a bench

They are requiring us to wear goggles (new rule as of 1:30pm yesterday). YES PLEASE! They are not giving us goggles. Some nurses are sharing. Wheres my fricken goggles?? I cant even get a new mask.

Can you order kn-95 online? That's what all of the hospitals here are using bc they can't find n95

-our covid floor is full

I would be spraying that n95 down with alcohol front and back every night until I got someone to sew me some with a filter pocket. Get an air con filter that can filter down to MPR 1500 or higher and cut it up for filters for it. No, it probably won't pass a fit test, but it is better than nothing.

If you don't wear glasses, get one of these that are intended to be worn cutting onions as they have a sponge that catches droplets around the edges: https://smile.amazon.com/Anti-Fog-No-Tears-Tearless-Dust-proof-Grilling/dp/B086C1FTTL/ref=sr_1_3_sspa?crid=23P4QZYN76OR0&dchild=1&keywords=goggles+for+cutting+onions&qid=1592999008&sprefix=goggle+for+cutt,aps,176&sr=8-3-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUFUNDFWS0w3U1FFWlAmZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTA4NzU4OTUyTTAzU1VTVjJFNFpCJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTAwNjUzMjkyQlhGRjQ2Q1JXSElFJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

And finally, I am shocked and absolutely furious that they are treating y'all this way! How dare they not take care of the people they want to take care of all the sickest???

I went to the doctor yesterday for bronchitis, turns out I have pneumonia. The chest x-ray does not look consistent with co-vid 19 yet, although I have heard of people that were diagnosed with pneumonia and actually had co-vid 19. And I am not running any fever. I have fibromyalgia that makes me feel like I have the flu all of the time (worse with our recent stormy weather), so diagnosing muscle aches is difficult. Antibiotics are being called in today.

If anyone prays, I am asking for prayers that this is just pneumonia, and not co-vid 19. I am immunocompromised, so at high risk to be the sickest.

I went to the doctor yesterday for bronchitis, turns out I have pneumonia. The chest x-ray does not look consistent with co-vid 19 yet, although I have heard of people that were diagnosed with pneumonia and actually had co-vid 19. And I am not running any fever. I have fibromyalgia that makes me feel like I have the flu all of the time (worse with our recent stormy weather), so diagnosing muscle aches is difficult. Antibiotics are being called in today.

If anyone prays, I am asking for prayers that this is just pneumonia, and not co-vid 19. I am immunocompromised, so at high risk to be the sickest.

Oh no! I'm so sorry to hear this, I hope it's not covid and that you're on the mend soon. I had the lowest grade pnuemonia before and it was awful so I hope you're able to be comfortable and get better. Fingers crossed for you and sending you positive vibes.

You have my prayers, Susie.

We had continuous live coverage here for days because it was local.
It was pretty local everywhere. We also had protests and live coverage for almost 7 days. (actually there are still pockets of protesters here) They started in MN, but soon moved nationally, then globally.
And yes, from what I saw you are right, maybe - big maybe - half or less were wearing masks. I think when people were getting gassed though, the ones without masks wished they had them.

I've seen a lot of states that have opened up are now just as bad if not worse with cases than they were at their peaks. And as Catscankim said, hospitals are being overwhelmed - again. But nobody seems to care, and it's the indifference to it all that is so FRUSTRATING.

It was pretty local everywhere. We also had protests and live coverage for almost 7 days. (actually there are still pockets of protesters here) They started in MN, but soon moved nationally, then globally.
And yes, from what I saw you are right, maybe - big maybe - half or less were wearing masks. I think when people were getting gassed though, the ones without masks wished they had them.

I've seen a lot of states that have opened up are now just as bad if not worse with cases than they were at their peaks. And as Catscankim said, hospitals are being overwhelmed - again. But nobody seems to care, and it's the indifference to it all that is so FRUSTRATING.
I am sure it was well covered elsewhere. I was just responding to a comment on my post about what I saw here - if the coverage elsewhere of what happened here is like the coverage we saw of what was happening in other areas it was very minimal and could show just a short clip where most people were wearing masks. I'm talking about local coverage - not a national cable new source. And what I saw here, as well as what you saw where you are - a large percentage of people weren't wearing masks.

I also agree with you that the indifference seems to be growing, and it is very frustrating.

I pray but I'm going to ask you to have enough faith to believe that someone is praying for you. You'd be surprised that a tiny speck of faith for that one thing can help.

Latest posts

Back