Coronavirus

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you really think that healthcare professionals would put someone on a ventilator that didn't need it? And just this week I saw a comparison of influenza deaths vs. Covid-19 deaths. Covid is winning, hands down.
to answer your question: Do you really think that healthcare professionals would put someone on a ventilator that didn't need it? If they truly understood what they were dealing with, NO. But this virus doesn't behave like it was expected to. Doctors on the front lines are saying:
Normally when you put a person on a Vent it's because the muscles that work the lungs have tired out, but this isn't the case with Covid 19. A number of doctors in the ICU are saying that the pressure is too strong for some of these patients and may be doing more harm than good. Some patients were placed on their stomachs and were able to get by and recover without being put on a vent. Also about comparing Covid 19 deaths to influenza deaths. Many of these deaths are counted as Covid 19 when they were never tested for Covid 19. They could have had a number of different end stage lung problems such as COPD, or Pneumonia or Emphysema just to name a few. So, those statistics might be meaningless. Just saying.

@raymondlgraham -- Really? You haven't heard one word about this matter? Then you haven't done ANY due diligence.

Since you can't be bothered to research your topic before you spout off your provocative ideas, I can only conclude your post is intended as a troll.
I don't want to start an argument here but to be sure I have done my due diligence perhaps much more than you have. I have spent the last 25 years studying disease and how it destroys our bodies. We have all been told that antibiotics shouldn't be given for a virus infection. Do you know why this is true? I do.

You are making provocative statements, but aren't backing them up with verifiable science-based information. And now you're boasting to make yourself seem like an authority. As well as trying to deflect and divert the discussion by throwing in totally unrelated information.

I don't feel that raymondlgrahm is trying to be provocative. There are very many differing views on this topic and the current narrative in the mainstream is coming from a very narrow view. It's important to let everyone talk about this openly, honestly and try to not get upset when someone presents a viewpoint that is different from one's own. There is so much fear around this. The best way to counter fear is to stay in our hearts because we are all in this together. All of humanity is facing this so we must stick together even when our opinions differ. Please stay calm and let us discuss this rationally.

Why is this topic on this forum? How is this related to soap making? It is a highly charged issue that brings out a million different opinions.

I am not going to address the issues about numbers of cases of Covid 19 vs. the flu. That data can be easily found and has been reported in the news frequently. Right now, we are in such a crisis that the data is very fluid. However, I am a little peeved about people making insinuations that the hospitals shouldn't be charging for treating patients that they are taking care of so diligently. REALLY? Do you expect them to do it for free? Do you have any idea how much it costs to pay all those employees, professionals, and buy supplies and equipment? Not to mention how expensive it is just to keep a building that size open and accessible? And the idea that any health professional would knowingly diagnose someone with an illness to get paid is ridiculous. You obviously don't know how hospitals get paid if you believe that is true. Please stop making inferences that are completely false. It confuses people who are already living in a knowledge vacuum that some seem to be gleefully filling with fear and misinformation. It is true that health professionals are unsure about how to treat some patients, but that is not a new phenomena. It happens every day with many diseases, and they make educated decisions based on individual data. Taking care of people is not like changing the oil in a car. And yes, Raymond, lots of us know why antibiotics are not given to treat viruses because we are health professionals. I wouldn't go up against health professionals who actually know what they are talking about if I were you, and yes, it is provocative to make statements that you don't know are actually true and verifiable.

@Lin19687 -- Here is the main dashboard for the Johns Hopkins info -- ArcGIS Dashboards

I'm not sure if this will show you what you want to see, but maybe it will help.

On the left hand side of the screen, look for the tabs labeled Admin0, Admin1, and Admin2. The Admin0 tab will be active when you first view this map. Click on "US" in the Admin0 list to see just info in the US, for example. Next, click on the Admin1 tab and you'll see a list of states within the US. Click on a state name to narrow your view to the data for that state. Then click on Admin2 to see the county by county info within that state.

Click and hold the left mouse button and then drag the mouse to change the part of the world you're looking at. Hover over the world map and rotate the wheel on your mouse to zoom in and out.

Does anyone have this kind of web site for THEIR STATE specifically like this one here in MASS ?
Would love to look at them and see how they all compare.
http://boston.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/a2f67ae8147948919ea2f99dd09d0955
Here's one for British Columbia. Along the top right are the different health regions in our province. I'm in the Interior. Incidentally, the Interior Health Authority's region is about 8 times the size of Massachusetts.

https://experience.arcgis.com/experience/a6f23959a8b14bfa989e3cda29297ded

Why is this topic on this forum? How is this related to soap making? It is a highly charged issue that brings out a million different opinions.

I'm with you on this! There is so much information on the web - which is a good thing... problem is half says 1 thing; the other half says the opposite. So you either have to do your own research and hopefully you come up with 'real' and accurate info. But people think differently and absorb information differently.. some believe because it's already part of what they've deemed to be true. We all have preconceived ideas and basically seek out information that supports us. That doesn't make it fact.

This virus affects us all and everyone has an opinion - to create a post based on this is just asking for trouble! Is there a link on politics and/or religion? I suggest not for obvious reason. This topics belongs in that category. No one wins!

As the person who started this thread, there was no mention of politics or conspiracy theories or statistics.

Just hows everyone doing, anyone affected. Since when was checking in with everyone such a contentious thought?

Anyone on here for any time knows we all talk about much more than soaping, particularly in a general chat sub forum.

Well you don't have to read what is in the off topic,/ general chat section.
Kinda like why I don't go in the section candle section. I don't care not do I have experience.
I also don't go in the beginners section because I got tied of people asking the same questions that have been asked 1000000 times. But if they had actually searched and read they wouldn't be asking,.....

@Lin19687 -- Here is the main dashboard for the Johns Hopkins info -- ArcGIS Dashboards

I'm not sure if this will show you what you want to see, but maybe it will help.

On the left hand side of the screen, look for the tabs labeled Admin0, Admin1, and Admin2. The Admin0 tab will be active when you first view this map. Click on "US" in the Admin0 list to see just info in the US, for example. Next, click on the Admin1 tab and you'll see a list of states within the US. Click on a state name to narrow your view to the data for that state. Then click on Admin2 to see the county by county info within that state.

Click and hold the left mouse button and then drag the mouse to change the part of the world you're looking at. Hover over the world map and rotate the wheel on your mouse to zoom in and out.
Thanks, Deanna, I have been looking for this!

Sorry if I was too aggressive in my response. I understand the intent of the original post. Too bad when it ends up straying into muddy waters. My intent was not to offend anyone.

Sorry if I was too aggressive in my response. I understand the intent of the original post. Too bad when it ends up straying into muddy waters. My intent was not to offend anyone.
A few of us have been on this forum for many years. Seeing our friends around the world suffering is worrying so threads like this are good to reassure ourselves that people are safe and ok.
As you say, it is a pity when it ends up straying into muddy waters, but that doesn't negate the value of threads like this, especially at such uncertain times as this. We are battered with the news while in lockdown which is depressing but reading how people are actually coping and working through it all is great, for me at least. It makes me feel not so alone.

As a retired RN, it infuriates me when I hear or read statements that blanketly malign or blame the medical profession or it's workers of malfeasance in situations such as this.

The doctors and nurses and Respiratory Therapists and unnamed others in the field who on a daily basis are putting themselves in close proximity to this illness to provide medical care and life-saving procedures for other human beings, usually total strangers have dedicated their skills, their minds, and their lives to providing the best possible care in circumstances that put not only themselves, but their families at risk. And don't forget their families! Their families who support their nurse/husband/son/father/wife/daughter/sister/mother; doctor/wife/mother/sister/husband/son/father/; etc. because the family supports this effort to save lives in spite of the fear they may lose their loved ones as well.

You have no idea (and in fact, neither do I) how scared my family was that my SIL & I would both come out of retirement and go work the front lines with CoVid patients in hospitals and that we would not survive as a result. They begged us not to do that because they don't want to lose us. I get that. Even so, I did look into it, going as far as contacting the California Board of Registered Nursing to inquire about renewing my RN license. But I did not follow through and honestly, I probably would not be doing anyone any good coming out of retirement at the age of 71 after a recent cardiac procedure anyway, even in the best of times.

My brothers, all just a bit younger than me, are concerned about their families too. Some are ill and have been tested. One brother is in self-quarantine in the parlor while he waits for test results (sore throat - not Strep). Another brother spent a few days worried that his his mother-in-law (our mother's best friend for years, as a matter of fact) and possibly sisters-in-law were infected. The news came back. It was negative, although the MIL is in hospital for pneumonia. Another has been through the scare of his daughter (mother of his very first and only grandchild) being sick and being tested, and coming out negative. That particular brother fears the whole family will die from this disease in one fell swoop.

I don't think the whole family will die because we have a few generations scattered around the country, and many of them are pretty healthy. But I do get his fear; my siblings and I are of an age and have some medical factors that do put us at risk, so it's not an unlikely scenario for the elders in the family. And we are not even the oldest in the family. We still have living aunts and uncles.

As I am sure all here do have, extended families scattered near and far and have had your own scares. And I thank you and commend you all who continue to work on the front lines with those affected by this pandemic, in whatever capacity. And cheers to your husbands, wives, sons, daughters, mothers, fathers, aunts, uncles, grandmothers, grandfathers and other loved ones who are either doing the same or support you as you dedicate yourselves to providing care to those in need of care.

PS. Thank you Mobjack for posting the link to that article.

I'm with you on this! There is so much information on the web - which is a good thing... problem is half says 1 thing; the other half says the opposite. So you either have to do your own research and hopefully you come up with 'real' and accurate info. But people think differently and absorb information differently.. some believe because it's already part of what they've deemed to be true. We all have preconceived ideas and basically seek out information that supports us. That doesn't make it fact.

This virus affects us all and everyone has an opinion - to create a post based on this is just asking for trouble! Is there a link on politics and/or religion? I suggest not for obvious reason. This topics belongs in that category. No one wins!

Ya'll are more than welcome to just move on to another subject. This is general chat. Unless things get out of order it's allowed. The only thing we don't allow is political/religious specific posts as they are very charged subjects. Not everyone has the same views.

This here thread is located in the General Chat section, which states:

"Discuss the weather, reality television or anything else that's on your mind. This is the place for all your off topic conversations."

You may or may not not like it, but this topic/thread is not against forum rules and has every right to be here. As all long-term, active members here can attest, certain soaping methods can also be highly charged subjects that bring out a million different opinions here on the forum. Does that mean we should also not allow posts that talk about differing soaping methods, too?

Like Shari said above^^^ if this thread upsets you, y'all are more than welcome to click onto a different thread.

IrishLass :)

Latest posts

Back