Coronavirus

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm in the middle of week 6 of self isolation. Two days ago it was 70° outside. Right now it's snowing. Yesterday there was a big bear poop in the yard. Hubby checked the neighborhood online board, and someone posted a picture of the bear - with 2 cubs. Last night one of our suet feeders was ripped down and destroyed. And onward we go. Our stay at home has been extended until May 4th. Even the dog is feeling it. Stay home and be well everyone.
IMG_20200409_104951.jpg

I’m not making a lot of progress on the cleaning/sorting/organizing front. Which is making me feel a little guilty. I cook most days normally, so that isn’t a change. I was hoarding the bit of flour I had left until I finally was able to buy some last week. My friend/neighbor has been baking though and is almost daily bringing something over - none of which either of us need to be eating. I am home a lot normally, so it really isn’t that different for me. But we do usually see friends or family once or twice a week and I miss that. I’m not complaining. It’s just a bit of knowing I can’t go do things - and won’t be able to for awhile to come. I will have plenty of soap to give away for many months though. All my loved ones are well, and that is what matters most.

I’m not finding much time to make soap or keep my house clean, but I am very grateful that I can do my job at home and keep a paycheck coming in. My partner, who works for a nonprofit, is furloughed for an indefinite period of time.

I wouldn't say my home is very clean right now either.... :/ But I'm also grateful that I can work from home, even if it's not ideal. I have probably done the most of my work in various coffee shops, so the hardest for me at this point is not being able to do that at all.
I also just found out that my future employer is counting me as an essential worker, so I'll have to move a bit earlier than planned and report to the office in person. Yeah, I always knew reading medieval manuscripts was super essential work :).

I’m not finding much time to make soap or keep my house clean, but I am very grateful that I can do my job at home and keep a paycheck coming in. My partner, who works for a nonprofit, is furloughed for an indefinite period of time.

I hope your partner filed for unemployment. I filed the first day I was told not to come into work. Everyone who is fuloughed should file. The federal government kicked in some money to help increase the amount each person receives.

Denmark will begin a gradual return to school and work starting next week. My youngest will return to daycare next Tuesday and my oldest will start school again on the 20th. Hubby will be working from home until May 10. Social distancing is still in place, the borders are still closed until May 10, all events and concerts are cancelled until August. If there is an increase in cases, the schools will close again and we will go back to shelter in place.

I might be able to get some soap made later this month! It's been 40 days since I last made soap. Not that I'm counting...

No unemployment check for me :( I don't qualify because I had just started the Restaurant job.. jerks
But on the bright side I have started Veggie Seeds indoor, got part of the garden ready for planting when it gets steady warm enough.
Got Bee Hive boxes almost all made and Bees coming later this month.
Every nice day I get to go out for a walk and drag the teenager DD out for some fresh air.
My desk is full of scrap paper with all sorts of ideas and things to do.... that I may never look at again lol
I am getting a bit bored on rainy days and just can't get motivated to sew quilts right now for some reason.... Probably because I would need a few days and there are sunny days in there that I want to be outside ;)
Oh and I am a procrastinator so that is not helping

I find I am more productive at work because I am only there half time and still need to do all the work. The blessing is things are much slower.
No unemployment check for me :( I don't qualify because I had just started the Restaurant job.. jerks
But on the bright side I have started Veggie Seeds indoor, got part of the garden ready for planting when it gets steady warm enough.
Got Bee Hive boxes almost all made and Bees coming later this month.
Every nice day I get to go out for a walk and drag the teenager DD out for some fresh air.
My desk is full of scrap paper with all sorts of ideas and things to do.... that I may never look at again lol
I am getting a bit bored on rainy days and just can't get motivated to sew quilts right now for some reason.... Probably because I would need a few days and there are sunny days in there that I want to be outside ;)
Oh and I am a procrastinator so that is not helping

I would try to apply anyway. Most times unemployment is based on work quarters so your job before that may qualify you. I helped my aunt do her unemployment in MA and she was able to get it. She was only at the place a short time too. The owner hires her and gets rid of her regularly because she is a nut job.

I also started my veggie seeds. Need to move some things around as my soaping stuff took over my grow racks.

@Steve85569 it may spread like the flu, but it is not a flu. It is an entirely different virus. It is far more dangerous because our most vulnerable groups of people routinely get flu vaccines. There is, so far, no vaccine against this virus. And, unlike the cold (rhinovirus) viruses, most of the population has no antibodies due to having been exposed before. I am not trying to call you out on this, really I am not. I appreciate your attempt to calm people here, but comparing this to the flu won't help them. It may have someone believe that just because they got a flu vaccine last year, that they are safe. They aren't.

I didn't take it that way.
I am just tired of the FEAR being poured out on us.
That having been said - I am triple compromised as far as my health issues are right now. My breathing is bad enough that I cannot wear a surgical mask.

I have a powerful Friend that has told me that I shouldn't be afraid - he is always with me, he will never leave me nor will he turn on me.
If this is the one that gets me I've had a heck of a great ride!!

He is my Friend, also! And I keep telling people that although He said don't be afraid, He also gave us brains to think with. And He expects us to use them and follow simple guidelines like stay home if you don't HAVE to leave, wash your hands frequently, maintain social distancing. I do very much appreciate you trying to get people to calm down. I am quite tired of the media pounding fear down people's throats.

I think I may actually have begun to go mad here in my cell. The walls seem the circumference of my head. I converse with the ceaseless but faceless footsteps of my apparently-legion apartment neighbors. I wear my best boots and hat to run to the Conoco, just in case any of the spectral locals heave up out from their disaster bunkers to judge my handkerchief face mask. The dogs are now fine with the mailman, but spooked by me. But hey...I got some argan oil somewhere...and there’s always, always another ******* Original Movie starring, like, a dispirited John Cusack.

I don't know about MA, but TX says if you have been employed for 6 months anywhere in Texas, you are eligible.
In MA there is a Minimum $$ amount.

I do not see FEAR being spread, I see Medical Reason being spread. Those talking about Martial Law and such are spreading Fear and those people should just be avoided.

Saturday Morning and it is going to be Nice out YAY !!! Lawn lowing here I come

In MA there is a Minimum $$ amount.

I do not see FEAR being spread, I see Medical Reason being spread. Those talking about Martial Law and such are spreading Fear and those people should just be avoided.

Saturday Morning and it is going to be Nice out YAY !!! Lawn lowing here I come

I get all kinds of news feeds, and I have to tell you that there is a vast amount of disinformation and fear mongering going on. I am quite appreciative for those sites, though. They have identified themselves as not trustworthy and allowed me to winnow down to sites that do their research before posting news. It's going to save me a lot of time going forward.

So grateful for our Prime Minister taking such swift action with lockdown. We have only about 14 people currently in hospital across the entire country - so no pressure with overflowing hospital wards. We have sadly had four deaths now - all elderly and with compromised immunity/underlying conditions. At two weeks into our lockdown the numbers tested positive with the virus have slowed, and now decreasing. We now have more people recovering each day than we have people being tested positive. The PM said she will not reduce the lockdown period ( currently set at 4 weeks) because we run the risk of rushing out and re-spreading the virus. We have just gone two weeks into our lockdown. It's tough - but I'm totally down with it. Because we locked down early, I think we have managed to change the pattern of C19 spread that has become so devastating in other countries. It is likely that some major centres will have to stay in lockdown beyond 4 weeks, but it will be decided nearer the time. Meanwhile - we were supposed to have moved house on 8th April, but this is not allowed, so we are waiting to hear when we can move.

Latest posts

Back