Coronavirus

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have our first case in my county. I don't know if its in my town or the bigger one next door.
Looks like a case of community transmission, I'm sure we would have many other cases if we actually had tests. In the last week or two, our health district tested around 100 people. Its just not enough.

On top of that, I've been feeling poorly the last couple days. Makes me wonder if the cough and sore throat I had a week ago was the beginning and not really allergies like I though.
My lungs are fine and I'm not running a fever yet but my eyeballs hurt, I have a headache and general malaise.

If I do get sick, the biggest issue I'll have is not spreading to DH. I make sure to disinfect surfaces and stay away from him. I also have my own bedroom so that helps.

We have our first case in my county. I don't know if its in my town or the bigger one next door.
Looks like a case of community transmission, I'm sure we would have many other cases if we actually had tests. In the last week or two, our health district tested around 100 people. Its just not enough.

On top of that, I've been feeling poorly the last couple days. Makes me wonder if the cough and sore throat I had a week ago was the beginning and not really allergies like I though.
My lungs are fine and I'm not running a fever yet but my eyeballs hurt, I have a headache and general malaise.

If I do get sick, the biggest issue I'll have is not spreading to DH. I make sure to disinfect surfaces and stay away from him. I also have my own bedroom so that helps.
Take care Obsidian. I hope you start feeling better really soon.

The effects of this disease on the world is quite devastating. I pray that you and your families stay safe.

Just a quick question to my fellow soapers with soap making businesses,how is the coronavirus affecting it?

Shouldnt Soap sales be increasing due to frequent handwashing? Could this be an opportunity in disguise.

What challenges are you facing?
I live in a tiny tourist village in Australia. In December and January we had fires and no tourists so no soap sales. Since the Corona virus we’ve had very few tourists and no one is spending except on essential (cheap)groceries. Australia is in shutdown and as of yesterday lockdown -except to go to the supermarket, pharmacy, doctor or essential travel and you can’t congregate in groups of more than 2 in public places.
A lot of people are out of work and others are being careful to save every cent as no one knows what the future holds economically or healthwise. Expensive handmade soap is a luxury item that few are considering now.

I hope you feel better soon Shari and Obsidian.

I live in a tiny tourist village in Australia. In December and January we had fires and no tourists so no soap sales. Since the Corona virus we’ve had very few tourists and no one is spending except on essential (cheap)groceries. Australia is in shutdown and as of yesterday lockdown -except to go to the supermarket, pharmacy, doctor or essential travel and you can’t congregate in groups of more than 2 in public places.
A lot of people are out of work and others are being careful to save every cent as no one knows what the future holds economically or healthwise. Expensive handmade soap is a luxury item that few are considering now.

Yes - you've had a double whammy in Aussie PJ!
We are in a similar situation since out country-wide lockdown that started last Thursday. Internet sales are restricted to only essential items - so facebook marketplace, trade me ( our version of e-bay) and most website sales are out of action too. We are not allowed to get within 2 metres of anyone not in our 'bubble' (anyone in our household). We just had our first death in NZ related to C-19 yesterday. I'm pleased that our PM imposed the lockdown before it got out of hand. Hopefully we won't have too many more. They did state it is likely that confirmed cases will increase in the first two weeks of lockdown though, before we start to see it turning around.

I thought this was an extreamly interesting.

It doesnt look like much, but is from Dr. David Price: a critical care pulmonologist in NYC at Weill Cornell Hospital which apparently is almost solely Covid patients now. Has some really interesting info on how the virus spreads - a bit different than has been believed thus far.

I'd love to watch this video, but it's almost an hour long. I need to look for a written transcript instead.

edit: Ah, google is my friend.

Here's a summary that I hope provides accurate highlights of Dr. Price's video lecture. https://whyevolutionistrue.wordpres...vid-19-from-a-pulmonary-critical-care-doctor/

Medium.com ran a similar article a day or so ago that is a good companion to the information by Dr. Price. Author A.M. Carter provides much the same advice from the perspective of someone who has a serious immune system disorder. https://medium.com/@amcarter/i-had-...-after-my-bone-marrow-transplant-1b097f16040c

Last edited:

sorry to hear about that. I stay in Lagos, Nigeria and a lockdown has been ordered. No movement, nothing. Hopefully this will pass soon.

After this pandemic we have to recover.

For those in the US, you can now find state by state projections of the timelines for infections that will require hospital beds and other hospital resources at this site: https://covid19.healthdata.org/projections

The projections are based on a model developed at University of Washington’s Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation (IMHE), which is supported by a major grant from the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.

This is an early model and there are still many unknowns, which may affect the actual patterns observed compared with the projections. This uncertainty is represented as shading around the projections. With NY peaking relatively early and dominating the national projection, the US need for hospital beds is projected to peak about 2 weeks from now. In some states, my own included, the predicted demand won’t peak until about a month later, in May.

For those in the US, you can now find state by state projections of the timelines for infections that will require hospital beds and other hospital resources at this site: https://covid19.healthdata.org/projections

The projections are based on a model developed at University of Washington’s Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation (IMHE), which is supported by a major grant from the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.

This is an early model and there are still many unknowns, which may affect the actual patterns observed compared with the projections. This uncertainty is represented as shading around the projections. With NY peaking relatively early and dominating the national projection, the US need for hospital beds is projected to peak about 2 weeks from now. In some states, my own included, the predicted demand won’t peak until about a month later, in May.
This is really interesting, thanks!
I guess "flattening the curve" also means that it lasts longer. I just wish things were at least a little better by June because I'll have to move mid-June cross-country again....

If you want to see a neat 2-minute video that explains how soap destroys the covid-19 virus, you gotta check this out --

And if you're worried about how to shop for groceries or accept UPS deliveries or handle carryout/delivered food -- here's a helpful article from the Washington Post -- https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...pping-getting-delivery-or-accepting-packages/

Although the whole article is a worthwhile read, here's the essential advice the author offers --

When receiving a package that you think might be contaminated with the virus, "...the virus on the package is a necessary component, but it alone is not sufficient to get you sick. Many other pieces of the pie would have to be in place.

"So this is what you can do to disassemble the pie — to cut the chain.

"You can leave that cardboard package at your door for a few hours — or bring it inside and leave it right inside your door, then wash your hands again.

"If you’re still concerned there was any virus on the package, you could wipe down the exterior with a disinfectant, or open it outdoors and put the packaging in the recycling can. (Then wash your hands again.)

"What about going to the grocery store? The same approach applies.

"Shop when you need to (keeping six feet from other customers) and load items into your cart or basket. Keep your hands away from your face while shopping, and wash them as soon as you’re home. Put away your groceries, and then wash your hands again.

"If you wait even a few hours before using anything you just purchased, most of the virus that was on any package will be significantly reduced. If you need to use something immediately, and want to take extra precautions, wipe the package down with a disinfectant. Last, wash all fruits and vegetables as you normally would
...."

Last edited:
liberty.JPG

With NY peaking relatively early and dominating the national projection,

I do not believe that NY has peaked.
We also need to make sure that our adult & teenage children know about staying away from others.
Found this on CNN a few minutes ago.
"In Australia and New Zealand, there's a high proportion of young people among those diagnosed with coronavirus.
According to Australian government statistics:
21% of confirmed cases are aged 20 to 29
16% of cases are aged 30 to 39
31% of cases are 60 or older
In New Zealand:
26% of confirmed cases are aged 20 to 29
14% of cases are aged 30 to 39
21% of cases are 60 or older
For comparison, a report issued by the United States Centers for Disease Control and Prevention that ***analyzed the cases of 2,500 patients in the US whose ages were known***, found that:
29% were aged 20 to 44
18% were aged 55 to 64
25% were aged 65 to 84"
PLEASE note the *** section of the US. That is Only 2,500 patients, we have how many? 160,700+ I do not know when that analysis was done but it looks like there are more younger getting it and those are the ones that are still not heading the call to stay away from others. I really do wish that all the states, that think they only have a few cases and don't count, would issue the stay at home. They obviously are not thinking of all the people that travel to other places to work and come back. Their Health care systems will be over run because they are small if it hits there.

Back