Coronavirus

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Plain old soap works best here is the scientific reason we can use to explain to others why we love real soap
hy does soap work so well on the Sars-CoV-2, the coronavirus and indeed most viruses? The short story: because the virus is a self-assembled nanoparticle in which the weakest link is the lipid (fatty) bilayer. Soap dissolves the fat membrane and the virus falls apart like a house of cards and dies – or rather, we should say it becomes inactive as viruses aren’t really alive.

The slightly longer story is that most viruses consist of three key building blocks: ribonucleic acid (RNA), proteins and lipids. A virus-infected cell makes lots of these building blocks, which then spontaneously self-assemble to form the virus. Critically, there are no strong covalent bonds holding these units together, which means you do not necessarily need harsh chemicals to split those units apart. When an infected cell dies, all these new viruses escape and go on to infect other cells. Some end up also in the airways of lungs.

You can’t, for any price, get a drug for the coronavirus – but your grandmother’s bar of soap kills it
When you cough, or especially when you sneeze, tiny droplets from the airways can fly up to 10 metres. The larger ones are thought to be the main coronavirus carriers and they can go at least two metres.

These tiny droplets end on surfaces and often dry out quickly. But the viruses remain active. Human skin is an ideal surface for a virus. It is “organic” and the proteins and fatty acids in the dead cells on the surface interact with the virus.

When you touch, say, a steel surface with a virus particle on it, it will stick to your skin and hence get transferred on to your hands. If you then touch your face, especially your eyes, nostrils or mouth, you can get infected. And it turns out that most people touch their face once every two to five minutes.

Washing the virus off with water alone might work. But water is not good at competing with the strong, glue-like interactions between the skin and the virus. Water isn’t enough.

Soapy water is totally different. Soap contains fat-like substances known as amphiphiles, some of which are structurally very similar to the lipids in the virus membrane. The soap molecules “compete” with the lipids in the virus membrane. This is more or less how soap also removes normal dirt from the skin.

The soap not only loosens the “glue” between the virus and the skin but also the Velcro-like interactions that hold the proteins, lipids and RNA in the virus together.
Pall Thordarson is a professor of chemistry at the University of New South Wales, Sydney
Very interesting. Thank you!

We’re at over 3700 cases and 92 deaths. Our hospital system is over stressed with so many sick patients at level 3 pandemic. We are about out of respirators. It’s assumed we have all been exposed and many including me are exhibiting symptoms. Fortunately they are not serious serious. Most cough, fever, loss of taste and smell and some are experiencing vomiting and body aches as well. Everyone is required to wear masks. We are tested at the door before entering. I can’t understand people not taking this serious.

Things like this is why I am not quick to sing my governor's, much less that mayor's praises.

I want to say that 1, she didn't say how long the Hot water was out, but the Water was only out for 1 hour. There may be a main break or 100 other things. I find it hard to believe that this is not being adressed.

2) where is the update at the end of this? It was posted on the 24th, no update and I can only assume it was fixed.

Did you find any info on this after you posted it?

Just outside of Boise in the burbs. My hubby had a hobby...used to make guitars and mandolins. About 5 years back he got throat cancer and hasn't made any since then. I feel that some of it is that he hasn't worked with his hands for a while...use it or lose it is real at our ages. But some could also be the radiation he was given for the cancer...or something else to do with Agent Orange. At least he does have a workshop outside of the house and I can get him to go out there at least for a while. Hasn't happened since all this virus stuff. I think hobbies are a definite necessity for retirement. I know even with them I get bored...can't imagine what it would be like if I didn't have them.

I am being nice to the old guy! LOL It's just nice to have a place to vent that he won't see!

I do the finances in our household so I know watching the news is contributing to the problem. I have this attitude that if I can't do something to prevent a problem then I let it go. He cannot do that and since he doesn't understand the finances it is even more scary to him. And now all of his music events have been cancelled so he doesn't have the community that he normally has. He is way more of an extrovert than me, so now I get to be his "everything". This too shall pass. If the weather keeps warming up he will have the lawn to mow at least! LOL
Yes, all that is very tough on you.
Such a difficult time. This too will pass us a great philosophy but doesn’t it seem endless at the moment!
Best wishes to you both.

A Professor/Microbiologist from a University here, said 2 days ago that soap and sanitizer are on par with each other as far as effectiveness is concerned. Hospitals he said have been using sanitizer for 10 -20 yrs because it's easier to have beside the bedside instead of going to the sink all the time.
It is but I read that if you have any dirt on your hands sanitizer might not get under it.
Best advice I think is to use soap regularly and when you can but if not, use sanitiser. At hospitals it’s much quicker to use sanitiser at the end of beds but doctors regularly wash their hands between patients as well.

I find this is an easier to read Coronavirus chart. Also using John Hopkins figures.
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
Spain ignored the warnings and staged a huge women’s day rally and they estimate 2,000 people caught the virus at that event alone.

The news in NY and the spiralling number of hospital workers infected is so very sad. A friend has her daughter and son in law working in NY at the moment - so scary. Thinking of all you New Yorkers.

Last edited by a moderator:
I want to say that 1, she didn't say how long the Hot water was out, but the Water was only out for 1 hour. There may be a main break or 100 other things. I find it hard to believe that this is not being adressed.

2) where is the update at the end of this? It was posted on the 24th, no update and I can only assume it was fixed.

Did you find any info on this after you posted it?

No Heat in the Taft Houses for Days
Thousands Were Without Water at Manhattan NYCHA complex

Not much to find but this is a common problem in much of the public housing. Whether you want to believe it or not, the video above shows what a huge amount of public housing tenants have to deal with. I've seen it first hand with my ex, I have some family who lived in these apartments, and I have met people who have dealt with some mess when it comes to NYCHA. Both articles are about the Taft Houses, which is further NW from where that lady in the video lives.

NYCHA Residents Sue City for Making Them Live In Unlivable Conditions

The above is the most recent I can find at the moment but not specific to the issue in the video. I get that some may think these people can just move out and find another place but then those same people are not thinking of those who genuinely cannot so as such.

We’re at over 3700 cases and 92 deaths. Our hospital system is over stressed with so many sick patients at level 3 pandemic. We are about out of respirators. It’s assumed we have all been exposed and many including me are exhibiting symptoms. Fortunately they are not serious serious. Most cough, fever, loss of taste and smell and some are experiencing vomiting and body aches as well. Everyone is required to wear masks. We are tested at the door before entering. I can’t understand people not taking this serious.

Oh, Shari, I feel for you so. This is distressing to hear. I hope your symptoms don't get any worse than they are right now and you recover reasonably quickly.

I think we're all eventually going to experience some version of what you're going through right now -- personal illness, illness of people around us, serious complications, loss of friends and family, upheaval, and grief. I would love to be wrong.

No Heat in the Taft Houses for Days
Thousands Were Without Water at Manhattan NYCHA complex

Not much to find but this is a common problem in much of the public housing. Whether you want to believe it or not, the video above shows what a huge amount of public housing tenants have to deal with. I've seen it first hand with my ex, I have some family who lived in these apartments, and I have met people who have dealt with some mess when it comes to NYCHA. Both articles are about the Taft Houses, which is further NW from where that lady in the video lives.

NYCHA Residents Sue City for Making Them Live In Unlivable Conditions

The above is the most recent I can find at the moment but not specific to the issue in the video. I get that some may think these people can just move out and find another place but then those same people are not thinking of those who genuinely cannot so as such.

I get what you are saying BUT, this was a Water MAIN BREAK and they brought water in for them. Not like they just shut off the water for no reason. All but 3 (of the 9 buildings) had their water restored that night.
All inner city housing have issues, it is the nature of the beast. I had friends that lived in housing I know the struggles on BOTH sides of the rent payment.
I am not saying this isn't bad but that 1st video sure made it sound like it was done on purpose which it wasn't. I just hate to see videos like that without showing all that was done/reasons why it happened & what was done and when.

Back to the Virus numbers here.... 4,257 confirmed cases of C19 here as of today. My work called and asked if I wanted to come in to do ToGo service, ummmm Nope, all those sicky people can just stay away from me. Money wise it isn't worth it to me, I'll stay here TYVM :)

I get what you are saying BUT, this was a Water MAIN BREAK and they brought water in for them. Not like they just shut off the water for no reason. All but 3 (of the 9 buildings) had their water restored that night.
All inner city housing have issues, it is the nature of the beast. I had friends that lived in housing I know the struggles on BOTH sides of the rent payment.
I am not saying this isn't bad but that 1st video sure made it sound like it was done on purpose which it wasn't. I just hate to see videos like that without showing all that was done/reasons why it happened & what was done and when.

Back to the Virus numbers here.... 4,257 confirmed cases of C19 here as of today. My work called and asked if I wanted to come in to do ToGo service, ummmm Nope, all those sicky people can just stay away from me. Money wise it isn't worth it to me, I'll stay here TYVM :)
I can't blame you for feeling that way for either subjects. I do wonder what the other countries are doing that their mortality numbers are lower than ours in comparison to how many have recovered.

I know it’s not for everyone, but reading about the research efforts to combat the virus makes me feel a lot better than looking at case and mortality counters. Some of the world’s best science journalists are writing about the newest developments and areas where the research community is converging on consensus. If you want to learn more, Statnews.com and the articles I linked below are a good starting place. Although there are knowledge gaps and other major obstacles to overcome, there is also a steady stream of reasons to be hopeful.

https://www.statnews.com/2020/03/25/coronavirus-experts-craft-strategies-to-relax-lockdowns/
https://www.statnews.com/2020/03/25...-progress-in-antibody-treatment-for-covid-19/

The effects of this disease on the world is quite devastating. I pray that you and your families stay safe.

Just a quick question to my fellow soapers with soap making businesses,how is the coronavirus affecting it?

Shouldnt Soap sales be increasing due to frequent handwashing? Could this be an opportunity in disguise.

What challenges are you facing?

Best advice I think is to use soap regularly and when you can but if not, use sanitiser. At hospitals it’s much quicker to use sanitiser at the end of beds but doctors regularly wash their hands between patients as well.

I've always felt like hand-washing is an at-home thing and sanitizer is an out and about thing. This is borne out by my recent experience: we went to Cancun March 11-18 (in case you forget, since we've all lived lifetimes since then, March 11 was "be careful, but definitely still travel'; by March 13, school was cancelled, the university had shut down...what a difference 2 days makes!). On the way there, we sprayed down the airplane, and carried hand sanitizer with us at all times in the resort. We used it multiple times during meals (every time we went to up to the buffet, for example) as well as while we were out and about. But, we also washed our hands a lot in our room. On the flight home, we again sprayed down the entire airplane, and were using it obsessively in the airport.
Since we got back, I haven't used hand sanitizer once. I'm not even sure where it is, although I must find it to carry with me once my 14-day isolation is over and I rejoin the world....although I'm not sure where I will go...

We use regular cleaning spray to wipe down door knobs, counters, light switches, etc. and lots of beautiful and fragrant soap on our hands, multiple times a day....

Latest posts

Back