Coronavirus

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just ask him to stay home. Tell him you are worried, I am sure he will understand. Many Gov offices are letting staff stay home just for this reason.

Unfortunately, he can't just stay home. If the mill is open, he has to be their to keep it running.
He would have to quit or the mill would have to close.

just wait until you are both retired, it's winter and you are both cooped up a LOT. It's an adjustment. I love him dearly, but some days I find a lot to do in my soap room. :p
That's what I'm dreading. I love him dearly but, seriously, I'm at Day 2 of being home and I already wonder what he does besides sit at his computer studying the stock market and reading Twitter. However, we did go for a walk today and he did fix the weed eater. As soon as he's back from getting smokes, though, I'm sure he'll be back at his computer. In some ways, I'm not looking towards retiring considering we live in a 2 bedroom suite. In other ways, I can't wait!

We have been retired since 2006 and for the most part it hasn't been bad. Until now. It was bad enough a couple weeks ago when most of our outside activities were cancelled as they were held at churches, old folk centers or libraries. Now the state has put out a 21 day notice to shelter in place. Between soaping, quilting and reading...and of course household chores...my days are full. Now it seems like every 30 minutes or so Hubby needs to reassure himself that I am still there, he is alive and kicking or some item in the news needs to be told to me in person. I'm looking at places to hide the body! I certainly hope it is just a case of cabin fever...if not it's gonna be a long 21 days. Sure is good that I love him...at least for now

We have been retired since 2006 and for the most part it hasn't been bad. Until now. It was bad enough a couple weeks ago when most of our outside activities were cancelled as they were held at churches, old folk centers or libraries. Now the state has put out a 21 day notice to shelter in place. Between soaping, quilting and reading...and of course household chores...my days are full. Now it seems like every 30 minutes or so Hubby needs to reassure himself that I am still there, he is alive and kicking or some item in the news needs to be told to me in person. I'm looking at places to hide the body! I certainly hope it is just a case of cabin fever...if not it's gonna be a long 21 days. Sure is good that I love him...at least for now
:lol:

I feel for you. Hubby has a long time before retirement but at times I dread it. He keeps himself busy outside on his days off but he doesn't have any inside hobbies for when he is older.
Even long weekends can be tiring when he is sitting around bored. I finally chased him outside today.
Curious, what part of idaho are you in? I'm in the panhandle not far from Canada.

I think a lot of us need a bit of reassurance at times like this. The Stockmarket is plunging and your government does not come across as having a coordinated message about corona virus. It is frightening and unsettling for a lot of people. Even for us in Oz the mixed messages coming from the US are unsettling.

I know it’s difficult for you to be extra patient with your DH when you must be feeling unsettled too. But I think that might be what he might need right now.

I am trying not to read the news but can’t help myself.

thanks will make wet with RA 70% wipes to take with me to the store, I should not plan yet cause I am on 7th day of quarantine, I hope I will be ok, so everyone else
I'm on Day 8! And it feels like I will never touch a credit card again....Other than the $600 for 2 online grocery orders I've made (for future groceries...pick up dates Sunday and then April 6th!), I haven't spent a dime in the past week!
We did get an order of shoes for my son today, so I put a $5 tip in an envelope taped to the door for the delivery person...sprayed the bill with alcohol and handled everything with gloves. Noticed part-way through the day that the shoes were here and the tip was gone, so I hope the right guy got it and not some rando passing by....

The bright spot in my day yesterday came from catching up on how medical researchers and other scientists are responding to the pressing need for treatments, management strategies and, ultimately, a vaccine to combat this virus. They’re using two websites (medRXiv and bioRXiv) to share potentially important information in advance of peer review and publication. One paper reported that a small group of very sick people in China recovered rapidly after being transfused with blood plasma from people who had recovered from the virus. That information was mobilized quickly and the approach will now be tested more widely, as reported in the NY Times, here. If it works, it will help keep doctors and nurses safer and help the sickest of people to survive. Although the world seems to have missed the opportunity to control this virus until a vaccine is developed, mathematical modelers are exploring ways to control outbreaks once rapid testing is available to confirm who has been infected. That would let people in many areas get back to a level of normalcy in daily life. People all over the world are letting scientists use their home computers (linking them together via the internet) to run some of the models and super computers are being used to search through massive databases to look for drugs that might be able to attack a weak spot in the virus. Science leaders are calling for all scientists to seek ways to help those who are doing critical research on vaccines. Something as simple as childcare could make it possible for a researcher to stay in the lab doing an experiment that leads to a breakthrough.

I am just getting over feeling sick and having a bad, dry cough x 6 days. Only had a trace of temp 99*. I live in Louisiana in a small rural community. Testing is limited to those who have high fevers and severe symptoms. I guess am lucky to be getting over it so easy. Am so ready to get back to sewing and soaping, maybe tomorrow!

I am just getting over feeling sick and having a bad, dry cough x 6 days. Only had a trace of temp 99*. I live in Louisiana in a small rural community. Testing is limited to those who have high fevers and severe symptoms. I guess am lucky to be getting over it so easy. Am so ready to get back to sewing and soaping, maybe tomorrow!
It must be kind of freeing to be past an infection. I’m glad to hear that you’re okay. It sounds like NOLA is on its ways to becoming the next epicenter.

With this now seemingly spreading swiftly around the world, I wondered whether any of our members are directly or indirectly affected?
Plain old soap works best here is the scientific reason we can use to explain to others why we love real soap
hy does soap work so well on the Sars-CoV-2, the coronavirus and indeed most viruses? The short story: because the virus is a self-assembled nanoparticle in which the weakest link is the lipid (fatty) bilayer. Soap dissolves the fat membrane and the virus falls apart like a house of cards and dies – or rather, we should say it becomes inactive as viruses aren’t really alive.

The slightly longer story is that most viruses consist of three key building blocks: ribonucleic acid (RNA), proteins and lipids. A virus-infected cell makes lots of these building blocks, which then spontaneously self-assemble to form the virus. Critically, there are no strong covalent bonds holding these units together, which means you do not necessarily need harsh chemicals to split those units apart. When an infected cell dies, all these new viruses escape and go on to infect other cells. Some end up also in the airways of lungs.

You can’t, for any price, get a drug for the coronavirus – but your grandmother’s bar of soap kills it
When you cough, or especially when you sneeze, tiny droplets from the airways can fly up to 10 metres. The larger ones are thought to be the main coronavirus carriers and they can go at least two metres.

These tiny droplets end on surfaces and often dry out quickly. But the viruses remain active. Human skin is an ideal surface for a virus. It is “organic” and the proteins and fatty acids in the dead cells on the surface interact with the virus.

When you touch, say, a steel surface with a virus particle on it, it will stick to your skin and hence get transferred on to your hands. If you then touch your face, especially your eyes, nostrils or mouth, you can get infected. And it turns out that most people touch their face once every two to five minutes.

Washing the virus off with water alone might work. But water is not good at competing with the strong, glue-like interactions between the skin and the virus. Water isn’t enough.

Soapy water is totally different. Soap contains fat-like substances known as amphiphiles, some of which are structurally very similar to the lipids in the virus membrane. The soap molecules “compete” with the lipids in the virus membrane. This is more or less how soap also removes normal dirt from the skin.

The soap not only loosens the “glue” between the virus and the skin but also the Velcro-like interactions that hold the proteins, lipids and RNA in the virus together.
Pall Thordarson is a professor of chemistry at the University of New South Wales, Sydney

Last edited:
Take him to the vet and Have him put to sleep lol lol

Latest posts

Back