Coronavirus

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone else watch NY Gov Cuomo talk ? I like him.

With all due respect, Relle, I disagree. Christians have been commissioned (commanded) by God Himself to share God’s word and pray that the world turns to Jesus. With social distancing and closed churches, I find no offense, and in fact am comforted, in folks who share the good news and hope of God in any forum. In fact it shows how critical it is now more than ever. Indeed, I am thankful that we have an internet by which to do this. I expect I will continue to infuse all my speech anywhere my voice is heard or written, with the word of God as is expected of me.
But there are many who do believe in God and I will not erase Him from my words.

It is not asked to Erase him from your words, just don't do it here. Just find a religious forum for that, there are plenty.

2 things not to discuss at a dinner party to keep the peace, Politics and Religion

Last edited by a moderator:
Ontario is officially in an emergency state (as of yesterday). Schools and daycare centres have already been shut down for a week now, but the closures have extended now to all licensed daycares, libraries, community centers, theaters of all kinds, indoor rec centers, and restaurants (take out/delivery is allowed). Any gathering over 50 people are banned. Malls are either closed or operating on reduced hours and most banks have only a few key locations still open. Grocery stores are hit or miss depending on the regions. My region seems particularly bad with all paper products, most root veg, bread, sugar, flour, canned veg/fruit, soup, frozen veg, rice, beans / legumes, eggs, beef, ground meats, and milk all being in extremely short supply or gone entirely.

Thankfully, we have a small pantry that I keep decently well stocked and have been able to fill/expand the pantry so that, in combination with a meal delivery service we subscribe to (3x weekly), we should be good for easily 2-3 weeks before variety starts to wane. I also buy into a CSA (Community Shared Agriculture) program every summer so if this continues for a few months we'll have a weekly supply of fresh veg starting in May. Something people may want to look into... it might not be too late if interested (support local farmers! lol).

Honestly what scares me most these days isn't actually the virus, but rather the economic outfall of all this...
My sisters are both already laid off. My husband and I, while still employed and working remotely (thankfully) will likely be on reduced hours soon... and I'd expect he, at least, will end up laid off as he's in manufacturing (purchasing).

I went to two stores today, Frys and Costco--didnt even go in Costco as the line was loooong And they were out of dry dogfood, which is what I wanted. Frys had no bread, no flour, no meats...lunchmeats and pnut butter all gone....well, hopefully things will calm down and the stores can get reasonably stocked again--no paper products at all, no clorox.

It is getting scary and unfortunately it will get much worse before it gets better.

We’ve just had our first death in Michigan in our hospital system.

We need to remember to be kind, reach out to those who don’t have anyone and check on our elderly.

I’ve been giving out sanitizer to those who can’t find it. I received a gallon and have been bottling it into 1 and 2 ounces.

I’m still going to work and have offered to help wherever they need it. I work for the ER. Not enough tests or testing facilities in the state.

I sent my daughter and grandkids 3 hours north to my parents where there is a much much smaller population so less risk. I’ve been told I can’t go as there’s a possibility I’ve been exposed though feeling fine. The panic is real here as many other places.
I’m well stocked for the most part so I just go to work then home.

I'm in Michigan as well. I've decided to stay away from most of the local tv station websites, they are doing nothing to help the situation.
I also managed to pick up some items at Costco yesterday; I arrived before the store opened and the line went past the width of the building. By the time I got in the store people were already leaving with their giant packs of toilet paper. I will say one thing about this entire shitfest - people are being polite and courteous to each other. I hope that part stays when all of this ends.

I just survived my 1st hospital layoff. My company just slashed in half one of our hospitals services! NOW!!! NOW they want to ressurect this half closed hospital and turn it into a Covid-19 specialty hospital!!!!!....

Huh. I live in northeast Iowa about 1/2 hour from the Minnesota border. There was a Mayo clinic in our county seat of Waukon. This clinic closed this past December, causing quite an uproar in the community and surrounding area.

DH came home tonight and said he'd heard scuttlebutt that Mother Mayo is going to turn the empty clinic building in Waukon into an intensive care unit for covid victims. Sounds quite familiar to your story.

I just survived my 1st hospital layoff. My company just slashed in half one of our hospitals services! NOW!!! NOW they want to ressurect this half closed hospital and turn it into a Covid-19 specialty hospital!!!!! As this hospital owns a TON of ventilators!
Who are they going to get to work there??? WHO? They already transitioned the staff into new roles! Majority of the nurses and doctors I know are scared dookyless over this virus!
My position is a system float nurse! That will be ME getting pulled to the front lines!
Not to keen on this idea! Not at all.
I am very happy this new passion of soap making! Soap is very needed at this time!
So my fellow soapers, get to work!!!!
Wash your hands! Stay healthy!
And I am willing and able to help members that maybe out of work!
Reach out!
Spread love! Not viruses!

errr... Get to work meant MAKE MORE SOAP!!!

If I were you I would not take an assignment like that having a heart transplant patient at home. They should understand this and put you in a different role. That’s scary as all hell.

Oh man I forgot to get Flour at Costco. Course not sure I NEED 25# of flour My bread machine is good but my bread is not the greatest so I am not sure I would want to Give any away lol

Virginia has three hotspots for cases of COVID-19. Over the course of a week we went from having a few isolated cases in Virginia to a situation where there is only one person between me and a confirmed positive case. I’ve been telecommuting since Monday afternoon, but it looks like I should have started at least a week or two earlier. I’m having to work hard to keep my brain from running probability calculations.

Stay calm.
Follow clean habits. Wash often. Cleanliness is next to nothing. It is it's own reward.
Eat healthy foods.
Get enough rest.
Follow your belief system whatever that is.
Practice random acts of kindness especially in these stressful times.
Now is when we should be sharing what we can with one another without counting the cost ( you don't owe me for this).
This is NOT the time for transactional or divisive relationships.

This is of course just my humble opinion.
Steve

I read the article at this link. https://www.bbc.com/news/51929628 that is referenced above. It includes the statements I pasted in below. I added the bold for emphasis. No strong evidence does not mean no evidence, plus there are two statements recommending the use of paracetamol, with one adding not to if your doctor advises against it. Out of an abundance of caution, and given that I have no allergies to it, I will probably stick with Tylenol for now.

“there is currently no strong evidence that ibuprofen can make coronavirus (Covid-19) worse... until we have more information, take paracetamol to treat the symptoms of coronavirus, unless your doctor has told you paracetamol is not suitable for you.”

“Although we don't yet know whether ibuprofen has a particular effect on the severity or length of illnesses caused by coronavirus - either in healthy people or those with underlying conditions - Dr Charlotte Warren-Gash, of the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, says, especially for vulnerable patients, "it seems sensible to stick to paracetamol as first choice".

”There is also some evidence linking ibuprofen to more severe illness from other respiratory infections.”

Last edited:
It's been a bit of a rough day here in New York. Over 3000 infected now. It is just the beginning of course, but the reality of it only hits us in stages. All our friend and family gatherings have been canceled for the next 45 days or so, and we know that in reality the whole summer will pass before we can gather again. It is hard to think that some might not be here for the next one.
I struggle with feeling isolated through winters always, as we live out in the countryside, but there is always some gathering to look forward to which keeps us sane. It was a cold day today with nothing to look forward to, and when I took my walk in the woods someone I couldn't see was screaming for me to go away, which was scary, because everyone out here has guns (except for us). I'll chear up again tomorrow. Hope you are all doing ok.

P.s. We ran out of tests locally, but in the morning news they said anyone without a fever was refused a test. So maybe take the pain meds after testing.

My MiL is laid off for the duration which is not surprising, she works in a salon with many of the clients being retired and having health issues. Sucks because tips make up most of her income but I’m happy she will be able to lessen her exposure (turning 60 this year with several underlying heath issues).

the issue I’m having processing is the (retired) owner, his (still working) wife, and daughter and now inviting people into their home so that everyone’s hair can be pretty for quarantine. This is an essential service, right? This man has more health issues than I can count (parents were first cousins and it shows) and has worst hygiene I have ever seen. I’m pretty sure his hands only get washed in the shower (but since retirement I can only guess if he still showers regularly), always chews with his mouth open, never covers his mouth when he coughs... he’s going to be patient zero and infect the whole town.

Is there a hotline or something yet?

Years ago I read a paper by a doctor who researches historical disease. I can't remember who it was or all the details but they found that the death rate of the Spanish Flu increased dramatically when the treatment was changed. US army doctors increased aspirin dose and that became the normal treatment. Case notes show obvious cases of aspirin overdose. So many died after the worst of their flu of aspirin induced pneumonia and classic overdose symptoms/complications. It was estimated 5 out of 8 deaths were due to aspirin overdose. Found that interesting.

With this virus there are some simple things we can do to boost our immune system that can reduce severity and length of illness for the average person. In the mean time I just need to find some flour and loo paper.

So funny how it differs from one place to the other. Our nurses and physicians are taking the proper precautions and just going with the flow. No drama at all working hard to take care of patients and themselves.

I've made the decision to continue to work at the hospital rather than remote should my residents need me.
Thank you for being on the front lines. I'm not in health care. I used to work for two giant healtcare companies, but we made the drugs and sold them to hospitals, clinics and doctor's offices.

From the who knows for sure file. I saw a news article saying most of the Palm Oil production was being severely curtailed for an indefinite period.I ordered some a couple of days ago but who knows.?

Back