Coronavirus

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am as concerned for my health and my parents as much as anyone but the quotes of 45% mortality is wildly off the mark and just feed into the anxiety.
I had this exact conversation with my husband! 45% of people admitted to the hospital with a resolved outcome. NOT 45% of the infected.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/italy/

It is possible that I am misinterpreting the numbers. It looks like worldwide the mortality rate is at 7% of people hospitalized.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

80% of cases are mild, with about 2% of reported cases being fatal.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/coronavirus-symptoms/

Last edited:
Here in Spain, the police are now driving around with megaphones, warning people and telling them to go home. Tomorrow they start arresting people if they're not on the streets for a good reason. That's the tough, and necessary, news.

What I find really moving is the reaction of people here in Spain and Italy. In Italy they organise improptu concerts of music from their balconies, sing to each other, and put up big signs saying "everything's going to be fine". Here in Spain there have been spontaneous outbreaks of applause for the health service workers (who are working to the limit to manage the outbreak), from balconies, etc. Tonight we're going to hold one in Galicia at 20:00 local time (GMT +1). Give us a quick round of applause, we're doing everything we can. The general level of solidarity brings tears to my eyes. If there's something I want to remember from all this crisis, it's that there are a lot of very very good people out there.

Meanwhile, I've got to Season 2, Episode 2, of Vikings...

Big hugs to you all and take care.

Actually, according to the WHO this morning, the worldwide death rate is 3.4%.
That's the number I've been seeing as well. They are showing that with Influenza the death rate is .1% and this one is 3.4%. HUGE difference between this and influenza with the potential to kill millions rather then thousands.

So, even though younger people can get this virus without getting too sick, they can easily pass it to others in the population that can and will die from it. Everyone doing their part to prevent the spread will save many lives.

Hey guys, I haven't posted in a while, but I wanted to check up on how everyone is doing...

I happened to find some hand sanitizer at Bulk Apothecary when shopping for soaping supplies. I wanted to pass that along for folks that are looking for the gel for their relatives that need something familiar.

I think the real test of people's mettle in the US, UK, and western Europe will come in the next 4 to 8 weeks after the novelty has worn off and the disease has become widespread and perhaps very personal.

An article I read recently gave an estimate of about 2 months before a pandemic will start to ebb once it gains a foothold in a region. That number seems reasonable based on the timing of the spread of the 1918 influenza in the US. (Here's a source that contains a widely shared chart of the timeline of this flu in St Louis and Pittsburgh, USA -- https://qz.com/1816060/a-chart-of-the-1918-spanish-flu-shows-why-social-distancing-works/ )

@ClaudetteCarignan I am SO HAPPY for you and hope that all goes swimmingly for you all there ! PLEASE start another thread so that we can know how it is all going AND so that you have a place to Vent when you need to. It can be overwhelming sometimes with all the care and such !

I decided to go to the grocery this morning at 8:30, figured it would not be as crowded, it was pretty dead. No TP, not that I needed it, but people were buying paper towels. Funny, there was a TON of Tissue paper. I went because my DD came in and told me last night (she's 18) to not take any extra shifts, Don't go anywhere unless it is an emergency.... So while she was sleeping I went. To ease her mind I wanted to have some extra things here... soups (we already had 10) but mainly drinks like Gatorade and Apple/OJ in case we get sick. I actually filled the cart lol, I have not done that in years. But it is mainly staple things and extra cheese, she loves cheese.
I wiped everything including myself with Alcohol (91% because I have that for soaping), all knobs, door handles, anything I touched and ANY Item I bought. It's a bit much but I thought better to just be safe as people go to the grocery even if they are sick.
Now to see how the Restaurant will do tonight and this week.

MASS has 119 presumptive and 19 confirmed. Which is nothing compared to Washington state, 600+cases and 40 deaths.

EDIT to add that they have now closed restaurants and Bars in South Boston to help curb the spread.
Can you imagine???!!! No St Patty's day in Boston !!

Last edited:
So we were sitting at home yesterday evening and the ottawa heart institute called around 5:00. I just Passes the phone automatically knowing it was for my husband thinking it was a reminder for an upcoming appointment. I hot Up and walked out of the room to check on my dogs and heard his side of the conversation. they had a heart for him. We packed a few things for him and off we went. Landed at administration at 6:45 pm. They wheeled him into the or at 6:30 this morning. I haven’t gotten any updates as of yet. But no news is food news. His surgeon did say it was going to be a long difficult surgery because of having his chest opened twice before. We were told that the waiting period would be 2 to 5 years because of his antibody level being at 100 due to multiple blood transfusions. The shock has finally worn of that it was only 7 months a 1 day!!!!!!! I can’t emphasis how important beings an organ donor is. If it weren’t for the kind empathic selfless person who their licence or donor card or filled out the form on line, My husband wouldn’t have a second chance at life. My deepest sympathies and condolences go out to the person’s family and I thank Them from the bottom of my heart for the precious gift of life. Their loved one’s legacy will live on in my husband and I will Be forever grateful.
unfortunately my soap making passion will be put on the sidelines for I dont Know how long. But I will Check in every now and then when I get The chance.

So happy for you! May G-d's continued Grace be on both of you!

The novelty definitely wore off quickly for me. As a second tier administrator for my school within the university, I have attended enough meetings over the past two weeks to make my head spin and have had to write and guide the implementation of the academic continuity plan for the school and the operational continuity plans for my unit. The amount of e-mail traffic is unbelievable. After spending much of my day today reading and answering email, setting up virtual meetings instead of in-person meetings and generally carrying on with what needs to be done, the thought that we are just at the beginning of this pandemic in the US feels a bit overwhelming. The bright spot in my day was the conversation I had with my 88 yr old dad. Although he has had many health problems over the last year, he sounded really good on the phone today. I am thankful for that.

I think the real test of people's mettle in the US, UK, and western Europe will come in the next 4 to 8 weeks after the novelty has worn off and the disease has become widespread and perhaps very personal.

An article I read recently gave an estimate of about 2 months before a pandemic will start to ebb once it gains a foothold in a region. That number seems reasonable based on the timing of the spread of the 1918 influenza in the US. (Here's a source that contains a widely shared chart of the timeline of this flu in St Louis and Pittsburgh, USA -- https://qz.com/1816060/a-chart-of-the-1918-spanish-flu-shows-why-social-distancing-works/ )

Hah, this is very interesting. Completely accidentally I'm reading the novel "The Murmur of the Bees" by Segovia (which is great, if anyone has not read it!), which starts with the 1918 flu outbreak. It is quite fascinating (and sad) how people are making the same kinds of arguments now as they did back then (as if we were somehow completely incapable of learning from history...).
Yeah, our university is online now too, so I better figure out how to do that. But I still know people in town who say this is all just in the media...
Take care everyone. And if anyone needs any extra soap, just let me know :)

Hah, this is very interesting. Completely accidentally I'm reading the novel "The Murmur of the Bees" by Segovia (which is great, if anyone has not read it!), which starts with the 1918 flu outbreak.
Yes, I read that book and when we kept getting messages that covid-19 was definitely going to spread world wide, I kept thinking back to that book.

upload_2020-3-15_19-35-34.png

This is in NH. Guess who was there for 3 hours on March 4th.

As for the death rates, keep in mind that a lot of people are not being tested if their symptoms are only mild and there's no risk of complications. This will make the measured death rate higher than it actually is, since there's an unknown, unmeasured amount of patients with light symptoms that recover.

@Serene I hope you weren’t in close contact with her. Be well!

We are not sure yet. We are under voluntary quarantine since this all started, only going out if we had to. That day, since we had to renew our tag and change of address after the big move, we went out to get that done. We did not find out about our exposure until yesterday, but we were already keeping to ourselves and wearing gloves, mask, etc. No official word yet as to who she came in contact with. From what I understand they're making phone calls after they figure it out. We are just waiting for the 2 weeks incubation period at this point and will continue the quarantine unless its for a Drs visit. We have plenty of essentials and we have delivery service from the local stores. We will see. Please be safe out there.

(making soap with what you can call a hazmat suit at this point and not touching any of it without gloves when cleaning them up. Its the only thing keeping me sane.)

Whelp.... Mass has officially closed ALL restaurants starting Tuesday :( Except for togo/delivery.
So everyone I work with are panicking. No definite word on what will happen with pay or the likes. One of my places 'Thinks' they will stay open for togo, but they don't do enough business in general so I know that will only last a day. The other said they would stay open but they do a TON of togo, but even they are thinking it might not be worth it. Both are major restaurant chains and Both do Scratch meals- no frozen. Money wise neither will be worth it to keep the doors open for it in the long run.

At least on my way into work I stopped and got the dry kitty food I had forgotten this morning , duh....but she had enough for about 2 weeks.
Just tossed in the meats I got to the freezer instead for later in the month.

Stores tomorrow will be crazy with people stocking up.

I talked to my mom and sister today. Illinois is shutting down too. I’m in Michigan and so far it’s just schools closing for 3 weeks.

I guess I’m lucky and technically am in a “recession proof” job (adult foster care) but have haven’t heard anything from the higher ups. No postings or texts about what would happen if one of our clients needs to quarantine. We’re staffed 24 hours, you can’t switch shifts unless you want to defeat the purpose of a quarantine. By chance I saw my manager the other day and was able to find out that we’ll have a meeting in 2 weeks (unrelated, schedules have been a week in advanced until some staffing issues are worked out). Unfortunately, it sounds like a standard staff meeting with treatment teams coming in to update us on plans not something geared towards helping the unfortunate person who will be stuck with a 336 hour paycheck

The mayor recanted and NYC schools will be shut down until April. I also ordered some food I regret buying but if someone is getting paid, I'm glad.

Latest posts

Back