Coronavirus

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
melinda
Technocrats like to have a study behind them before they jump. Makes them slow but maybe a bit more sure.
Nurses, doctors, technicians, etc., etc., Are still heros but they also still have responsibilities. Heroes are heroes when they are doing things that are heroic.

3,000 children, the vaccine is safe (in spite of cases of myocarditis). There were no cases of myocarditis in the 3000 case study but defiantly something to watch though the consensus for now is that with out the vaccine you have an even higher chance to catch covid and get it though that infection then if you were vaccinated.

We have different opinions on this but we can still hang together and make great soap! Live long and prosper my friend!!

I may not understand others but have love for many other things then just one issue. I don't win every discussion I ever get in to and so can not afford to be writing off people based on just discussions.
Cheers
gww

AliOop
Rather than continue to debate our different views, we can agree to disagree.
You bet. I have appreciated your help and though I put out views that I think are helpful, I am not the boss of anyone and in soap making am actually kind of needy.
I say what I say but not with the intent to burn bridges.
Hope I am not a one trick pony.
Again, I thank you for your advice from other threads.
Cheers
gww

Last edited by a moderator:
We have a 70%+ vaccine rate

We have a 47% vaccination rate in my county and people are dying. The hospitals are so full we are on emergency protocol, if I had a heart attack they would park me in the hall and let me die because covid patients take priority.
That ticks me off to no end, not only are anti vaxers being irresponsible by not getting vaccinated but they are directly causing deaths due to overfilling hospitals.

We have a 47% vaccination rate in my county and people are dying. The hospitals are so full we are on emergency protocol, if I had a heart attack they would park me in the hall and let me die because covid patients take priority.
That ticks me off to no end, not only are anti vaxers being irresponsible by not getting vaccinated but they are directly causing deaths due to overfilling hospitals.
The ones overfilling our ER are the people that come in with stuff that they should go to their Dr/Urgent Care for...toothache, chronic problems "headache x2 years", prescription refills, etc... My famous saying is "if they had to pay ONE DOLLAR to walk through the doors they wouldn't be here."

Sooo many patients holding in the er for rooms mostly because of nursing shortages. The rooms are there, just nobody to take care of them.

Our doctors have been seeing people in the ER waiting room and they put orders in. If it is just a head ct or foot ct, I can just grab them from the waiting room. All is good and they can go home. If it is something that needs contrast (aka needs an IV)....they would sit because a patient cannot be in the waiting room with an IV in place because we have had drug users leave with it in. So no IVs on pts in the waiting room. But I have started IVs on pts in the waiting room and took the iv out before sending them back, or if I see something (like an appendicitis or something that looks like they might be admitted for), then I will call the charge nurse or doctor, like "what do you want me to do with this pt, I started an IV, do you want me to pull it or do you have a room for them, looks like an appy".

Early morning every day we have a gazillion patients that check in to the emergency room that need dialysis. They don't have insurance, so they check in to the er, and they get their dialysis. We have our regulars. They sit and wait for hours to be seen. But they get seen, and they get their dialysis.

And I don't get it with post partum women. They get a c-section, then come in the next day because of pain. I dunno, I guess they had their babies and forgot to check the box "no dolor". But I was getting a soda from the vending machine one day and saw this one particular girl that really really looked sick. So I started her iv in the CT suite, intending to pull it out when I was done and sticking her back in the waiting room. I called the ER Charge nurse..."I really don't know what I am looking at here. Can you ask the doc to pull her images before I pull her IV?" She was hemorrhaging. Straight to the OR from there.

I been doing this since 1995. These past two years I feel like I am working in a third world country. I don't know who or what to blame for all of this, but this is really the craziest thing I have ever seen.

Many of those nurses seem to be enticed away by pay for short term stints where there are covid out breaks. Willing to travel, got money. That is the nurse in my family anyway. She has worked in three different states in the last year and a half.
Cheers
gww

The ones overfilling our ER are the people that come in with stuff that they should go to their Dr/Urgent Care for...toothache, chronic problems "headache x2 years", prescription refills, etc... My famous saying is "if they had to pay ONE DOLLAR to walk through the doors they wouldn't be here."

Sooo many patients holding in the er for rooms mostly because of nursing shortages. The rooms are there, just nobody to take care of them.

Our doctors have been seeing people in the ER waiting room and they put orders in. If it is just a head ct or foot ct, I can just grab them from the waiting room. All is good and they can go home. If it is something that needs contrast (aka needs an IV)....they would sit because a patient cannot be in the waiting room with an IV in place because we have had drug users leave with it in. So no IVs on pts in the waiting room. But I have started IVs on pts in the waiting room and took the iv out before sending them back, or if I see something (like an appendicitis or something that looks like they might be admitted for), then I will call the charge nurse or doctor, like "what do you want me to do with this pt, I started an IV, do you want me to pull it or do you have a room for them, looks like an appy".

Early morning every day we have a gazillion patients that check in to the emergency room that need dialysis. They don't have insurance, so they check in to the er, and they get their dialysis. We have our regulars. They sit and wait for hours to be seen. But they get seen, and they get their dialysis.

And I don't get it with post partum women. They get a c-section, then come in the next day because of pain. I dunno, I guess they had their babies and forgot to check the box "no dolor". But I was getting a soda from the vending machine one day and saw this one particular girl that really really looked sick. So I started her iv in the CT suite, intending to pull it out when I was done and sticking her back in the waiting room. I called the ER Charge nurse..."I really don't know what I am looking at here. Can you ask the doc to pull her images before I pull her IV?" She was hemorrhaging. Straight to the OR from there.

I been doing this since 1995. These past two years I feel like I am working in a third world country. I don't know who or what to blame for all of this, but this is really the craziest thing I have ever seen.

I can't even imagine what you and the other health care workers are going through. I know there is no way I'd be able to do it.
I live in a rural area, the closest two hospitals don't have the ER issues of bigger ones and very rarely drug seekers.
Many people do utilize urgent care, they are faster and cheaper.

I don't know what the bigger hospital ER is like beyond the covid patients. I know they brought in doctors and nurses from the nation guard to help.
The main issue is all the beds are taken, no place for regular patients and all elective surgeries have been canceled.
Many hospitals are sending patients to the neighboring state and clogging up their already taxed system.

The main issue is all the beds are taken, no place for regular patients and all elective surgeries have been canceled.
Many hospitals are sending patients to the neighboring state and clogging up their already taxed system.
I live closer to the Boise area and although the state has just now implemented no elective surgeries for all hospitals, it has been going on down here for a long time. I was a candidate for hip replacement and that should have taken 1-2 months to get diagnosed and have the operation. Instead, it took just shy of one year to get my hip replaced. By the time I was able to get it done, I was house bound and using a walker to get around the house. That might have been elective surgery in some politicians' eyes but to someone who could no longer function in their own house, I certainly could not call it elective!

And now because of the excess of covid patients in our hospitals (mostly due to unvaccinated people) operations for cancer patients are called elective. Heart surgeries are being put off. The message I get is that the unvaccinated take preference over any other medical procedure. Those of us that have been vaccinated just have to put our lives on hold and bear the pain. I know what I went through and cannot imagine what it would have been like to be told I had breast or kidney cancer, needed an operation, but just try to hang on until our hospitals are empty enough to take you. You don't count right at the moment.

But I was getting a soda from the vending machine one day and saw this one particular girl that really really looked sick. So I started her iv in the CT suite, intending to pull it out when I was done and sticking her back in the waiting room. I called the ER Charge nurse..."I really don't know what I am looking at here. Can you ask the doc to pull her images before I pull her IV?" She was hemorrhaging. Straight to the OR from there.

You saved that woman's life! That's amazing

As for why women end up back in the ER postpartum...I think not a lot is done to educate moms on what is normal and what is life-threatening after giving birth. There has been a recent education program in my county because the postpartum mortality rate has been unacceptably high. Also, pain management for postpartum women is lacking...I personally didn't need pain meds after my C-section (other than some of what they gave me while I was in the hospital)...but I don't think that's really normal or that women should be denied pain management after birth. It's major surgery and there is a giant wound in the abdomen.

Last edited:
Many of those nurses seem to be enticed away by pay for short term stints where there are covid out breaks. Willing to travel, got money. That is the nurse in my family anyway. She has worked in three different states in the last year and a half.
Traveling nurses have been around for ages and ages. I still get calls from headhunters to go work in remote locations who are in need. (I've been retired a long time.)

My SIL did a stint as a traveling nurse right after my brother got his degree & before he got his first engineering job. It was decades ago, but yes, the pay was very good and allowed for an opportunity for the kids to see a lot of historical places they would not have seen if they had stayed put.

We had discussions in my family about whether either of us would return to the work force during this pandemic. Had either of us done so, traveling nurses would have been a reasonable option for serving where needs were high. Neither of us did, however, much to the relief of our respective spouses and siblings.

I live closer to the Boise area and although the state has just now implemented no elective surgeries for all hospitals, it has been going on down here for a long time. I was a candidate for hip replacement and that should have taken 1-2 months to get diagnosed and have the operation. Instead, it took just shy of one year to get my hip replaced. By the time I was able to get it done, I was house bound and using a walker to get around the house. That might have been elective surgery in some politicians' eyes but to someone who could no longer function in their own house, I certainly could not call it elective!

I empathize with you on the delayed surgery! Before my orthopedist diagnosed the arthritis in my hips, I was using a cane even in my own home and thought for sure I was going to need a hip replacement. Luckily for me, medication has worked wonders in my ability to get around and to be most-of-the-time pain-free. But if I don't take them for a few days, immobility becomes very real shockingly quickly.

I was so glad that the hospitals had not yet eliminated 'elective' procedures in Feb of 2020 when I needed my cardiac ablation (which was complicated by the abnormal anatomical placement of my heart within my thoracic cavity.) I was in San Antonio at the time and it was another month before suddenly schools were closing and masks were being mandated. My husband was so worried about my health that he & I discussed if I should return home or not when granddaughter's school went to remote learning only, because his job put him in daily jeopardy of exposure and he didn't want to bring the disease home to me so soon after that cardiac scare. He still worries about that because I on an immunosuppressive medication, but he retires next month and I know we will both be relieved. Even though we are both very careful to take necessary precautions, we also know that we have been very fortunate in our continued health.

FWIW, I had my booster on Wednesday. I had no problems other than a slight headache, which could as easily have been hubby related as vaccine related 😂 My arm was a little tender to touch at the injection site, but I have had no stiffness or soreness when moving it. Both my original vaccine and the booster were Moderna.

AliOop
Don't take my thumbs up as happiness but as dumbness on my part and not knowing how to put a sad face there instead. My goal in acknowledgement was to try to give some kind of comfort though I am apparently not computer literate enough to pull it off. Sorry for your loss.
gww

My condolences @AliOop

If y'all think you guys have it bad...

Here - an actual third world country - patients are out in tents in hospital gardens. I've seen pics of them near the fountains and parking lots. They've set up wards in the hospital chapels and hallways, and they've taken over nearby schools (which have been closed for more than a year now) and gymnasiums. The government is encouraging people to monitor symptoms at home and only go to the hospital in grave cases.

And that's only counting the people who can afford to pay for their hospital stay. Those who can't stay home and wait to live or die.

It's that bad here. We hit a record of 25k new cases in a single day some months back but it has been getting lower now that they're reporting that the number of vaccinated people are going up.

In our case (my family) we're lucky enough that my sister was monitoring us the whole time, even if she was sick herself, and we didn't get much worse. She, btw, is head of one of the quarantine facilities of Red Cross here. She gave us an oxymeter and as long as it read above 95% we kept calm lol. Take note that all of us were vaccinated (Sinovac) except for my 4yr old and my grandma and surprisingly these two are the ones who did not get sick/show symptoms.

Between the end of September and end of October I lost 4 uncles - 2 due to covid, with only one of them being here in the country. The reason I mentioned him is.... We're also experiencing a shortage in medicines. Us cousins, to help his children, set up a group chat where we could all help looking for the blasted meds. One vial cost above 70k so that's more than 1500 USD and he needed 2. So we had to scramble between ourselves for the cash, and then my cousins just paid us back after. Thankfully he was insured and he had good health care so at least they were refunded a huge chunk. Imagine what happens to those who can't afford this.

His nurses and doctors are overworked, they are under paid, they have no more energy left to deal with difficult patients (like my uncle). With so many patients experiencing the same thing they're spread too thin so I don't even know if anyone in the hospitals are really being looked after as well as they would have been outside this pandemic.

That being said..... We're known for our nurses - they're everywhere lol - but we have awesome doctors here that we just don't export haha coz they earn enough here anyway lol and a lot of them are dying/have died too.

Last edited:

So much good and so much truth in this post I didn't want to delete any of it, so I bolded what I wanted to address.

ESRD patients qualify for Medicare just by being ESRD. They can get dialysis for free. Your social workers should be on this situation with all hands on deck. That would mean more $$ for the hospital also.

Latest posts

Back