Coronavirus

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If a cop pulls me over he ought to be serving and protecting and not putting me at extra risk. Nothing is changing so much in that they have always had time to raise revenue with driving infractions and have never had the priority or ability to solve purse snatching and home burglary except by filing reports and maybe getting lucky. They certainly have not dedicated resources in a way that prioritizes crime over revenue.

I do think being forced out of the rat race for a short period of time has given some people experiences that may have them reevaluating their priorities in life as it pertains to what they had been doing prior to the experience.

As far as I can tell, not everyone who has been vaccinated is having a break through case and many seem to have extra protection for themselves and those around them. Any exceptions to the norm does not change the helpfulness that is possible for many.
Cheers
gww

Sorry for your friend, @AliOop , I am sending prayers her way as well.

I was thrilled that my employer started offering Moderna boosters to essential workers this week. I got my 3rd Moderna yesterday and was thrilled and relieved. After the first 2 doses, I had no side effects whatsoever. But this morning, hoo boy! Fever, chills, body aches, aching eye balls, headache, fatigue. After lots of sleep and Tylenol I am upright and typing. I am not sharing this for pity -- but just want to give a heads up to others who will get a Moderna booster. At my work, we were the first cohort to get the booster so there was no data or anecdotal reports on what to expect.

I do want your pity, however, in that I'm stuck in bed when it will be the last warm high 50s day and garden tasks are undone. :( Also, missing a backyard party tonight. :(

Stay safe everyone -- and wash your hands!
Hi Zing, I got my booster about 10 days ago. Also Moderna & like you I got really sick. Fever of 101, aches (my fingers were soooo painful), shaking chills. Fortunately it lasted only 24 hours. I’m not looking forward to the next one (I have heard that we’ll be needing a booster every 6 months).

If a cop pulls me over he ought to be serving and protecting and not putting me at extra risk. Nothing is changing so much in that they have always had time to raise revenue with driving infractions and have never had the priority or ability to solve purse snatching and home burglary except by filing reports and maybe getting lucky. They certainly have not dedicated resources in a way that prioritizes crime over revenue.

If a cop pulls you over for speeding he IS serving and protecting...other people from your stupidity. Same when s/he pulls you over for having a head or brake light out because YOU could cause an accident. Heck, I almost got in an accident this afternoon because someone was speeding. It's posted 30mph, person had to be doing 50 when they came flying around the corner.

Yes, it would be wonderful if all crimes could be solved in 45 minutes the way they show on television, but real life doesn't work that way. My BIL's brother was severely beaten, left for dead and his bike stolen in the wee hours of the morning. There were no cameras, no eye witnesses...just him left lying in a field off a dirt path The usual evidence...like what you see on TV...was collected, but it does little good if the perpetrators aren't already in the system for another crime; which was the case here. A week later...the cops got 'lucky'. Some guy overhead some other guy, a friend of a friend of a friend, bragging about beating up some 'retard', about how he and his cousin worked him over real good and took his bike. From that lead, they got more leads and eventually ended up knocking on the cousin's door with a search warrant and found the bike. Possession of bike doesn't make the guy guilty...he could have purchased it off of Craig's List. But again...luck. These guys weren't professional bike thieves so it hadn't been 'processed' (serial marks removed, sanded and repainted)...it hadn't even been washed. My BIL's brother's fingerprints were on it, his blood was on it...so were both of the guy's. More 'luck'...the guy who had possession of the bike talked thinking he wouldn't get into as much trouble since he didn't actually take the bike, he was just storing it. And he tried to stop his cousin. If the bike had been cleaned. If the guys had kept their mouths shut. The crime would have remained unsolved...or at least unsolved until these boys (19 and 20) got caught for something else or until they needed a security clearance because there is no statute of limitations on murder (BIL's brother never recovered and died almost a year later).

The above is the reality of criminal investigations...just a lot of freaking luck.

I do think being forced out of the rat race for a short period of time has given some people experiences that may have them reevaluating their priorities in life as it pertains to what they had been doing prior to the experience.

I can agree to that to a certain extent. I think there were couples who found out that that second income wasn't really as much as they thought it was by the time you subtract work-related expenses, higher tax bracket and child care. That having one person at home doing stuff during the week that they could only do at night or weekends, meant they had more time at night and the weekends. That the things they thought they had to have or spent money on because they both worked...they didn't need or wasn't as important. I think there were folks to took the opportunity to either better their skills and/or find different jobs. It's not like you can tell your current boss that you need time off to interview for a better job. I have a friend who decided that Covid was God's way of telling her that it was time to retire; she works two days a week. Another friend had been wanting to open his own business for awhile...Covid gave him that opportunity and he can be home with the kids.

I had the Moderna vaccines and a Pfizer booster. Same side effects on all of them. Sore arm. It is good in a way, but even my immunologist thinks I may not be producing the antibodies. This is not a new issue for me, I took three rounds (three injections each) of Hepatitis B vaccine without sero-converting. I finally gave up. And new employers understand why I am opting out once I explain the issue. I am worried it will be like that again on this vaccine.

I believe in vaccines. I do not believe in vaccine mandates. We are losing people in all of the essential worker fields at a tremendous rate over those stupid unnecessary mandates. I think everyone would be much wiser to get the vaccines. I even think they should have vaccine clinics at essential workers' workplaces so they are extremely convenient to obtain. But this is supposed to be the land of the free. When did that change?

I had my booster and a normal flu shot the same day, in the same arm. All three of my covid vaccines were pfizer. The first one was the worst with a sore arm the first day, and no energy the second. Just a sore arm for the second one and third one. Just sore enough that I didn't want to sleep on that side but it was gone by the next morning. I rarely get reactions from shots. But I have plenty of friends who had nasty reactions, so I do feel for those that do.

Families rarely are in agreement on these matters, even when the person in question makes their wishes explicitly known ahead of time both verbally and in writing. It is tough on the family to have to make such a decision as it brings with it strong emotions, unfinished business, feelings of their own immortality and often feelings of guilt.

I am so sorry for the grief this is causing you, AliOop, as well as for the family and other loved ones.

Families rarely are in agreement on these matters, even when the person in question makes their wishes explicitly known ahead of time both verbally and in writing. It is tough on the family to have to make such a decision as it brings with it strong emotions, unfinished business, feelings of their own immortality and often feelings of guilt.

I am so sorry for the grief this is causing you, AliOop, as well as for the family and other loved ones.
Thank you, Earlene. ❤️

TheGecko
Same when s/he pulls you over for having a head or brake light out because YOU could cause an accident.
If a cop pulls me over and I have an issue that I would most likely find out about and have not caused and accident and he gives me covid due to refusal to protect himself or me, he has done no favor for society or those that I might come in contact with from that point on.

I do agree with much of your post though.

Suzie
As there are people such as you that really have no choice in the matter, it seems even more helpful for those who do not have such issues to take care of their family and neighbors by doing things that are shown to help alleviate risk to others with billions of examples of the safety of doing so. This would seem especially true for those with jobs that are integral to interaction that the public have no way of living with out contact with those in that kind of job.

If we talk about choice, one choice seems to be more helpful to the whole then the other choice.

None of this is new, when I joined the army in 1980, I got to walk down a line of shots with hundreds of others due to the protections that science offered the whole force and those that force would interact with.
Cheers
gww

Ps, I do not know why the above is typed with bold print but I did not want to shout with my fingers but was just not smart enough to change it.

AliOop
Hope it works out a good as it can in the end. Some things in life are hard and with few right answers. Sorry for you, your friend and her family.
Cheers
gww

Last edited:
The docs told Jessica’s family that she cannot survive due to lung scarring, and they need to discuss taking her off life support. Family members are not in agreement about whether or when to do this.
Oh no, I'm sorry. This is so awful. And family members sometimes cling to hope past reason because... it's so hard to let go. What a horrible road for all of them, and you.

I had the Moderna vaccines and a Pfizer booster. Same side effects on all of them. Sore arm. It is good in a way, but even my immunologist thinks I may not be producing the antibodies. This is not a new issue for me, I took three rounds (three injections each) of Hepatitis B vaccine without sero-converting. I finally gave up. And new employers understand why I am opting out once I explain the issue. I am worried it will be like that again on this vaccine.

I believe in vaccines. I do not believe in vaccine mandates. We are losing people in all of the essential worker fields at a tremendous rate over those stupid unnecessary mandates. I think everyone would be much wiser to get the vaccines. I even think they should have vaccine clinics at essential workers' workplaces so they are extremely convenient to obtain. But this is supposed to be the land of the free. When did that change?
What I question is when does the vaccine finally work, since we now have vaccine number 4. I was vaccinated, against my kids, and my initial thoughts on this with Pfizer, with number two making me very ill for 2 weeks and a very sore arm even now which is weeks later. I am not about to get numbers 3 and 4. In my humble opinion if they keep adding more vaccines it is not working. I know personally more than one family that has contracted the Delta strain who have been vaccinated. I feel they need to be working harder on treatment meds for this virus.

Firing folks from essential departments, or anyone from their jobs because of their beliefs is Not the way to do things in our country. We have surely lost our perspective on how our forefathers built our country.

The docs told Jessica’s family that she cannot survive due to lung scarring, and they need to discuss taking her off life support. Family members are not in agreement about whether or when to do this.
I am so sorry Alison. It is such a hard decision to make but at times it is better for the patient to let them have peace. We went through this with my MIL years ago. While it was not my decision I had a long talk with my husband and finally convinced him to convince his sister and brother to take their mom off life support for her comfort and peace. She simply could not come back.

If essential workers like healthcare, fire & police refuse to vaccinate and thus place others at risk of serious longterm illness or death due to covid19, I'm quite comfortable with their jobs being available instead to workers who will vaccinate & put others' lives first.

As to mandates, 1905:

"Jacobson v. Massachusetts, 197 U.S. 11 (1905), was a United States Supreme Court case in which the Court upheld the authority of states to enforce compulsory vaccination laws.

The Court's decision articulated the view that individual liberty is not absolute and is subject to the police power of the state.

Jacobson v. Massachusetts - Wikipedia"

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacobson_v._Massachusetts

Thank you for sharing that Carolyn, it helps me understand the dynamics happening here since it is very similar to what you shared. She's been through a physically and emotionally agonizing experience, and it will only get worse as her organs begin shutting down. Comfort and peace sound best to me, but perhaps I would feel differently if I had unfinished business with her, which is what I believe is happening here.

Oh how heartbreaking - I’m so sorry for her, for you, and all her loved ones. I hope the family is getting helpful guidance and support.

I had my booster last week (Phizer)… 😮 . I was expecting it to be no big deal due to fact that @ 1st dose I had minor pain @ injection site only, 2nd dose had EXTREME fatigue & arm pain day 2 but back to 💯 normal day 3. Booster however… Swollen & extremely tender lymph node in left armpit, same side as injection. That faded after 5 days to zero & then the itch began. Outbreak of shingles! It’s minor thank goodness I believe due to fact that 1. I got fully vaccinated for shingles after 1st & only outbreak prior to now & 2. I got in to see HCP 1st day rash sprouted in same spot as before. I was able to start anti-viral meds super fast. I’m going to be fine & feel better already, I just wasn’t expecting the side effects.

Sorry to hear about you developing shingles. I hope you are well on your way to a full recovery.
It's a fear I had when I got my two shots of Covid vaccine since they followed my 2nd dose of Shingrix vaccine!
Which shingles vaccine did you get?

Sorry to hear about you developing shingles. I hope you are well on your way to a full recovery.
It's a fear I had when I got my two shots of Covid vaccine since they followed my 2nd dose of Shingrix vaccine!
Which shingles vaccine did you get?
Thank you so much! 😊 🤗 I am feeling much improved & almost back 💯.
I also received two doses of Shingrix vaccine to protect me from further shingles outbreaks. 🤞this is my last!

Ps, I do not know why the above is typed with bold print but I did not want to shout with my fingers but was just not smart enough to change it.
You can UNbold the text in edit. Just highlight the entirety of the text you want to change and click on the B at the top of the edit entry box like this:
1635878216791.png

Latest posts

Back