Coronavirus

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually, no, natural immunity from infection with Covid is not as strong as that from vaccination. Especially Delta.:

"A Note to Those who are Confused, Afraid or just Uncertain about Whether to Get the COVID Vaccine – Dr. Pate’s blog

While having COVID does provide some degree of immune protection against re-infection for most, but certainly not all, persons, there is growing evidence that the degree of immune protection is inferior to that provided by vaccines. As we see more and more variants of concern, we have less and less confidence that natural infection will provide people the same degree of immune protection that the vaccine will. Therefore, we recommend that everyone who has previously had COVID get vaccinated once they recover from their illness."

https://drpatesblog.com/2021/07/25/...rtain-about-whether-to-get-the-covid-vaccine/
Sorry, but a blog post citing no sources and written by a single doctor does not hold as much weight as a published (although not yet peer-reviewed) medical study based on medical data from almost 70,000 patients (the Israeli study linked in my prior post).

The study data does indeed show that previously infected individuals have stronger immunity. It also shows that they can boost their immunity further with a single vaccine shot, rather than two of them.

This is most definitely a gripe but a COVID-19 gripe. I have two close friends come down with COVID-19. Both unvaccinated by choice. The healthier female is on the SLOW mend but my other friend that had underlying health issues is in the hospital & may be sent to ICU if she doesn’t show improvement or being stable. I had assumed she was vaccinated. I am a healthy female but carry a chromosome for a genetic lung disease (Alpha1 anti trypsin lung deficiency) so I chose to vaccinate ASAP. All last year I had Covid-19 all around in community but none of my close friends or family had gotten C-19. Now in less than a week TWO close friends. 😩

This is most definitely a gripe but a COVID-19 gripe. I have two close friends come down with COVID-19. Both unvaccinated by choice. The healthier female is on the SLOW mend but my other friend that had underlying health issues is in the hospital & may be sent to ICU if she doesn’t show improvement or being stable. I had assumed she was vaccinated. I am a healthy female but carry a chromosome for a genetic lung disease (Alpha1 anti trypsin lung deficiency) so I chose to vaccinate ASAP. All last year I had Covid-19 all around in community but none of my close friends or family had gotten C-19. Now in less than a week TWO close friends. 😩
My husband and both our kids also carry the Alpha1 anti trypsin deficiency gene as well, so that has been a large concern for us as well. My kids are both fully vaccinated but they work in care homes around covid positive people, so I still worry about break through cases for them. I hope that they stay safe and healthy. I do not know how I would handle losing a loved one to this virus. It would be devastating!

I received my first Covid vaccine today…in the muscle for those discussing that. Sucker HURT! I usually don’t feel needles, but I felt this one, and I felt the liquid going in. They kept me around a little longer that normal when I mentioned that my lips felt a little tingly and numb, but it went away after about a half hour and they sent me on my way.

A couple of hours later my upper arm…shoulder to elbow was really sore…couldn’t left my arm able my chest without shooting pain. I also had a massive headache, so I decided to lay down around 2pm for short nap…hubby woke me around 8:30. Sat up and OMG…please somebody, cut off my arm!!! I couldn’t help it, there were tears in my eyes. Took some more Ibuprofen. Hubby offered me something ‘stronger’ and I was tempted, but declined. Noticed that my hand was swollen and tried to take off my rings and couldn’t.

It’s midnight…approximate 10 hours since my shot. Still have a headache. Shoulder has settled down to a deep ache instead of a sharp pain…unless I try to raise my arm and then I want my mommy. I managed to get the rings off my pinkie and thumb, but the other three are firmly stuck.

When the nurse handed me my proof of vaccine aka Covid Card, I was advised to carry it with me at all times. I said no…it’s 2021, not 1941.

I am so sorry you had such a bad reaction to the vaccine! I carry my card with me for only one reason, if you catch co-vid, or have a bad reaction to the second dose, the doctors will need to know which manufacturer and lot # you have. That's it. I have never been asked for mine, nor have I volunteered that info to anyone. If you would feel better just jotting that info down on a different piece of paper to stick in your wallet or record in your phone, go for it. But medically, you need to have that info, just in case. And you need to take that card with you to the second dose.

I should probably take a picture with my phone and put that card with all the other medical info at this stage of the game. Might be a better idea, and it would get one more thing out of my wallet.

I received my first Covid vaccine today…in the muscle for those discussing that. Sucker HURT! I usually don’t feel needles, but I felt this one, and I felt the liquid going in. They kept me around a little longer that normal when I mentioned that my lips felt a little tingly and numb, but it went away after about a half hour and they sent me on my way.

A couple of hours later my upper arm…shoulder to elbow was really sore…couldn’t left my arm able my chest without shooting pain. I also had a massive headache, so I decided to lay down around 2pm for short nap…hubby woke me around 8:30. Sat up and OMG…please somebody, cut off my arm!!! I couldn’t help it, there were tears in my eyes. Took some more Ibuprofen. Hubby offered me something ‘stronger’ and I was tempted, but declined. Noticed that my hand was swollen and tried to take off my rings and couldn’t.

It’s midnight…approximate 10 hours since my shot. Still have a headache. Shoulder has settled down to a deep ache instead of a sharp pain…unless I try to raise my arm and then I want my mommy. I managed to get the rings off my pinkie and thumb, but the other three are firmly stuck.

When the nurse handed me my proof of vaccine aka Covid Card, I was advised to carry it with me at all times. I said no…it’s 2021, not 1941.
@TheGecko I recommend you use the vSafe app to report your reactions. The purpose is to follow up on adverse reactions to vaccines. The app will prompt you via texts (if you opt in for texts) to provide updates on your reactions (or lack thereof) periodically. I just got a prompt after several months (early on it was frequent, then pared down over time).

Another app that is collecting data from vaccine recipients is C-19 by ZOE. This app collects data daily from those who opt-in to participate. At the outset, it has some background questions, but after the initional period, there are only 3 questions (verifying the dates & types of Covid Tests as well as dates & types of vaccine, plus how you are feeling.) Then periodically, it will include a few questions (only once every few months if I remember correctly).

Just a suggestion to participate in ongoing data collection about the vaccines. The first is for the CDC specifically. The second study was created by doctors and scientists at Massachusetts General Hospital, the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health, King's College London and Stanford University School of Medicine, working with ZOE – a health science company. One of the collaborators is the Harvard Nurses Study, which I have been a member for decades in an ongoing study of women's health, which is why I highly recommend this one.

I carry my card with me for only one reason, if you catch co-vid, or have a bad reaction to the second dose, the doctors will need to know which manufacturer and lot # you have. That's it.

And they would be able to find that information by looking on My Chart...doesn't matter what health system you use these days. In addition to get a Covid shot yesterday, it was my first appointment with my new insurance/health provider and during the intake process, they already had a list of my allergies and prescriptions from the last seven years.

I have never been asked for mine, nor have I volunteered that info to anyone. If you would feel better just jotting that info down on a different piece of paper to stick in your wallet or record in your phone, go for it. But medically, you need to have that info, just in case. And you need to take that card with you to the second dose.

Do you carry a list of all your vaccines with you?

I am so sorry you had such a bad reaction to the vaccine! I carry my card with me for only one reason, if you catch co-vid, or have a bad reaction to the second dose, the doctors will need to know which manufacturer and lot # you have. That's it. I have never been asked for mine, nor have I volunteered that info to anyone. If you would feel better just jotting that info down on a different piece of paper to stick in your wallet or record in your phone, go for it. But medically, you need to have that info, just in case. And you need to take that card with you to the second dose.

I should probably take a picture with my phone and put that card with all the other medical info at this stage of the game. Might be a better idea, and it would get one more thing out of my wallet.

We were asked for proof of vaccination when we went see Hamilton.

But they did mention that a picture would work just fine so that may be the way. I just didn't want to risk it, I waited like a year to see hamilton!

We were asked for proof of vaccination when we went see Hamilton.

But they did mention that a picture would work just fine so that may be the way. I just didn't want to risk it, I waited like a year to see hamilton!
I want to see Hamilton again! My granddaughter can sing all the lyrics as sung by Lin-Manual Miranda word for word at that rapid pace. I don't know how she does it! My ears cannot even hear that fast, or should I say, my brain cannot keep up with the pace at which my ears are hearing.

We have our reservations to get our Boosters tomorrow at 3pm (Hubby & I). I am looking forward to that! I should make an appointment for my son to get his booster, as I think he is due as well. I'll check with him tomorrow to find out if he is up for it yet.

We spent the night in Chicago last night for our Anniversary, and it keeps surprising me to see maskless people on the EL. At least on Amtrak on the way up here, and the stations, I did not see any maskless people. Now if only the gregariously overly loud fella on the train when I came up yesterday doesn't ride back Westwardly today, I'll be happy. I swear that guy had the loudest conversational voice I've ever heard and he never shut-up from the time he got on the train until he disembarked at Union Station.

Our 9th grader, in a class of 100, has 3 friends still struggling with long covid. (from last winter/spring, not from the Delta variant). One of them was able to return to school, but her breathing and fatigue tax her so much she leaves early, however the doctors think it will be permanent and in a few years may not show any signs. The other two aren't so lucky and have heart and lung damage and can't do any type of school at this time. She can talk and text with them, but can't visit in person..

I had a couple of friends over on Friday night. She was crying all night, drunk...the worst kind of crying. I can't talk to anybody drunk and crying like that, no matter how valid their reason is for crying. Anyway, her god-niece was being taken off the ventilator on Saturday. She wasn't vaccinated, and completely healthy: young, worked out regularly, no smoking/drinking. It's very sad.

I asked them if they were vaccinated and they both resounded no and are very passionate about the "government not telling me what to do with my body". I understand it when people are scared or misinformed about its safety, but really? Your niece is dying tomorrow and you are still saying no to the vaccine because you think it is a government conspiracy. Seeing first hand what covid can do to someone who is completely healthy...gone like that.

Sadly there are breakthrough cases, but that is with every vaccine...the flu comes to mind.

If you do not want to listen to the government, listen to the healthcare workers who see it every day. Nearly every covid case that I have seen (and I get ALL of them in CT) did not get the vaccine. They put it right up front in their triage notes: "NOT vaccinated".

Our 400-bed hospital is full. People are in the waiting room now for 6 or more hours because we are holding ICU patients down in the ER because all of the ICU units are now converted to covid floors. They resusitated a trauma in the hallway the other day because they were holding ICU patients, and did a bunch of the invasive procedures in my CT room because they couldn't do it in the hall. That was an hour and a half that I could not take any other patients because my room became an OR. Our trauma doc called one of the desk-jockies and asked her to please put us on divert and she said no.

No elective procedures. Not directly BECAUSE of covid like in the beginning...it's because the post op is holding as well and we have nowhere to put people who come out of surgery for something they can wait for.

We don't need stats to know what is truth...we LIVE it. I saw a covid pt walking down the hall to the bathroom. I said something to the charge nurse and he said "It doesn't matter, every single patient on that side is covid" (rooms 11-22 plus all the hallway beds...each room has a corresponding hallway bed), plus our old trauma room holds two covid patients. Our entire hospital is all private rooms. Right now they are doubling up in the covid floor rooms because there is just no where else to put people. Plus all of the richer "ritzy" hospitals in the area transferring their covid patients "for a higher level of care"...aka, we don't want them to contaminate our rich donors.

I was watching the news the other day and they had a press conference. One reporter asked this woman "So if I need to go to the hospital, are you telling me that I will be sitting in the hallway?" This lady (I don't know who she was), says "of course not! We are prepared and everybody is being treated safely" ARE YOU KIDDING ME. Its like a third-world country in there some days. I had a stroke alert on thursday morning at exactly 7am. I walked in on Friday...he is still there holding in the ER. I left there today (Sunday) at 3pm...he is still there.

Its not a government conspiracy. Listen to us, not the media, not social media. It is really bad. I almost didn't get my shot in the beginning either. Today was my first of 9 shifts. I just worked 6, had off one day and now looking forward to 8 more. We are tired. It is real.

And then also dealing with really pissed off patients and their families that have been sitting in the waiting room for 6 hours.

The masking up didn't work. The isolations and quarantines didn't work...The vaccine is our only hope, and we see the benefit of it. Please do it.

I gave John and Julie this speech and now they are going to get their vaxx. Hopefully I also hit some of you guys that are afraid of getting it.

ON THE FLIP SIDE....

I had a patient the other day and as I was walking into her room the nurse was like "get ready". I go in with a wheelchair and the little old lady who got hit in the head with a golf ball, jumps up and demands (pointing her finger in my face) to know if I have been vaccinated. I turned around to her nurse "I don't think her getting hit in the head was accidental" LOL. I told her that was my own personal business. She starts yelling at me that I am unvaccinated and she's not going with me. Finally I'm like yes I got my shot, but that's not an appropriate question. Then our joke all day was "did you get your HPV vaccine? Is your vagina healthy?" LOL. This is where I draw the line "It's my body, it's nunya".

I was up in Winnemucca this last week where they are saying the Delta stain is going around. My SIL's sister's family had covid within last 6 or 7 months, all 14 of them. She has 12 kids and the entire family was down, fortunately, all survived. They were all vaccinated with the Pfizer having both vaccinations and the entire family is down with covid again. Her husband is extremely sick with double pneumonia. This is very frightening since she has said they are twice as sick as they were the first time. So word of advice, do get too careless thinking the vaccine works against all strains of the hateful virus, no matter what anyone is telling us.

I want to see Hamilton again! My granddaughter can sing all the lyrics as sung by Lin-Manual Miranda word for word at that rapid pace. I don't know how she does it! My ears cannot even hear that fast, or should I say, my brain cannot keep up with the pace at which my ears are hearing.

We have our reservations to get our Boosters tomorrow at 3pm (Hubby & I). I am looking forward to that! I should make an appointment for my son to get his booster, as I think he is due as well. I'll check with him tomorrow to find out if he is up for it yet.

We spent the night in Chicago last night for our Anniversary, and it keeps surprising me to see maskless people on the EL. At least on Amtrak on the way up here, and the stations, I did not see any maskless people. Now if only the gregariously overly loud fella on the train when I came up yesterday doesn't ride back Westwardly today, I'll be happy. I swear that guy had the loudest conversational voice I've ever heard and he never shut-up from the time he got on the train until he disembarked at Union Station.

I was surprised at how much I enjoyed the show.

Your granddaughter sounds cute. The only lyric I can remember (and often sing to myself) is any iteration of "I'm gonna take my shot!"

Which I find an interesting lyric both for the time frame of the show and our current time when a different kind of "shot" is in the news.

@Catscankim - I'm sorry to hear about your job.

Sounds extremely stressful. The little old lady reminds me of those warnings for people to avoid dangerous activities so as not to end up on the hospital. She was probably scared to death. A hospital ER must be a scary place right now.

And you can bet whoever hit her with that golf ball won't be getting a Christmas fruitcake this year!

Our 9th grader, in a class of 100, has 3 friends still struggling with long covid. (from last winter/spring, not from the Delta variant). One of them was able to return to school, but her breathing and fatigue tax her so much she leaves early, however the doctors think it will be permanent and in a few years may not show any signs. The other two aren't so lucky and have heart and lung damage and can't do any type of school at this time. She can talk and text with them, but can't visit in person..

I had a mild pneumonia and never fully recovered.
I believe "long covid" has been (or shortly will be) considered a disabling condition. This should help open the door to disability claims and perhaps a set of standards to streamline evaluation of long covid.

Latest posts

Back