Quantcast

Coronavirus

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

Adobehead

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I suggest researching vitamin D (not a vitamin, a hormone) and its ability to reduce severity on COVID-19 and reduce the possibility of contracting coronavirus. Best wishes.
The formula my doctor has made up for his patients contains Vit. D. also A. Another formula from him has L-Lysine, Zinc, Folic Acid and Selenium. I think everything we can do to support the immune system benefits us. D is a big one!

The Park Bench

Park Bench Naturals
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A second of our sons, Kagen, tested positive today. His younger brother lives at home with us but spent last weekend with Kagen .... Now I'm getting nervous. I have rheumatoid arthritis and don't need any additional pain!😱
Kagen finishes his quarantine tomorrow. He doesn't live at home as he is 27, thankfully his brother who does live at home, my husband and I are all feeling fine!😍😊🍾🥳. Thank you everyone for your support!!

GemstonePony

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Covid test just came back negative! I'm so relieved that I wasn't a risk to my coworkers or family. I still have no symptoms, but my roommate hasn't been able to smell or taste anything for a few days. She says her diet has become very low-sugar, because there's no point. A mutual friend of my roommate asked us what we need for groceries, and then bought them and dropped them off for us earlier this afternoon (it's after 11pm here now).

Catscankim

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was speaking with a friend last night. Her twin sister is dying from breast cancer and is on home-hospice in a rural area of New York (catskills). I haven't done any traveling, so I didn't know there were traveling rules (living in a bubble I guess lol).

So, in order for her to go see her sister before she dies, she needs to test negative to enter the state (understandable), but then quarantine for 3 days, then on the 4th day test negative again.

So I told her to drive up. She doesn't want to do the long drive and thinks there is some kind of KGB force waiting for out of state cars at the border. I have taken the trip in the past plenty of times by car to PA, so I get it with the drive. But its not terrible. Plus I wouldn't be real comfortable with flying anyway right now.

Anyway, she is going to fly. I told her that she could just go to PA and just drive up there. She doesn't want to break any rules. I did some research, the only requirement for PA is to have documentation of a negative test to enter and you don't have to quarantine.

New York doesn't have what the consequences are listed on the DOH website (that I could find), but PA is $25-300 fine if you don't have proof of a neg test and then fail to quarantine.

I get it. Its a pandemic, and normally would just say to obide by the rules. But I feel this is an exception. She and her husband tested negative last week and they are going for another test today before they travel. Even if you were exposed on the airplane, the 4th day test is pointless because your virus load is not going to be high enough for detection, especially with a 40% accuracy rate of the pcr to begin with.

She doesn't think she is going to make it in time. Sadly, her trip might only serve to make final arrangements. Personally, if I have two negative tests, then I am going to see my sister.

Catscankim

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had an interesting conversation with a nurse tonight. He is enrolled in a doctorate program, and he and some colleagues submitted a study on the effects of smoking on corona virus. I have heard this before a long time ago, but shrugged it off as fake news.

These guys have lots and lots of facts and figures. Less than 10% of the WORLDs positive corona cases are smokers. That means 90% of all cases are non-smokers. In China, about 50% of all men smoke, and their male smoker corona cases are nearly non-existent....like 1%

At first they thought it was the nicotine, but studies proved that wrong. A lot of theories were disproven, but they think they have come up with the reason...the high temperature of what is being inhaled, and it is not just cigarette smokers: it is vapers, marijuana smokers...basically anything that is a higher temperature when you inhale it, because corona cannot survive at a certain temperature (I forget what he said that temp was). He said cigarette smoke is inhaled at 130 degrees (which as a smoker, I don't think I am inhaling 130 degree cigarette smoke. I could be wrong, there's no way for me to tell lol).

Obviously a nurse with a doctorate is not going to purport smoking as a prevention for corona, but his proposal was to invent a product made out of something safe that you can inhale, like vegetable oil based or sterile water/saline based solution that can be used with a vape or some sort of steam, maybe as a prophylactic: come out of the supermarket, hit your corona vape lol.

The University of Miami shot it down because they don't want to advocate smoking.

They are prepared to take this idea down different avenues with all their research and facts, including cigarette or vape manufacturers...they all have labs too.

After I got home from work I did a little quick google research of my own, most of the articles are either old, or say how bad it COULD be for smokers. But I did find a few that agree with this, WebMD of all sites LOL. But then there was also a study done in Paris. That article was old, and they planned, back then, to give hospital workers nicotine patches (because last year they thought that nicotine was the reason for the phenomenon), so it's not a hairbrain idea these guys have. It seems to be substantiated. These are educated people with the means to do medical research.

After I make some soap, I am going to do deeper research if its not too late. I guess good places to start are NIH, WHO, CDC if anybody else wants to do some digging of their own.

paradisi

Reaction score
Jason Sheltzer on Twitter: "This preprint has been going around the internet suggesting that smoking actually protects against coronavirus. I’m going to highlight some errors that went into this analysis and why I think you should be skeptical of its conclusions…

Andreas Backhaus on Twitter: "I wish that people would simply ask "Why aren't there as many smokers among COVID19 cases and deaths as I expected?" instead of making misleading interpretations. First, p. 69 of the French report says smoking IS associated with…

DKing

Reaction score
my son found out today that he is getting the Pfizer vaccination tomorrow. For those who have already been vaccinated, should he take tylenol or advil or anything prior to the shot or wait until after to see if he has any sort of reaction?

beckster51

Supporting Member
Reaction score
my son found out today that he is getting the Pfizer vaccination tomorrow. For those who have already been vaccinated, should he take tylenol or advil or anything prior to the shot or wait until after to see if he has any sort of reaction?
I have not received this vaccine, but I always take Tylenol after I get a vaccine. It certainly mediates a lot of side effects such as fever and aches that I always have after I get a vaccination. I don't think he should take anything before the shot. If he has a reaction, they will want to decide what to give him. Any other nurses want to weigh in on this issue?

DKing

Reaction score
I have not received this vaccine, but I always take Tylenol after I get a vaccine. It certainly mediates a lot of side effects such as fever and aches that I always have after I get a vaccination. I don't think he should take anything before the shot. If he has a reaction, they will want to decide what to give him. Any other nurses want to weigh in on this issue?
I did find a couple of websites that said it is best not to take anything prior to the shot as there are no studies as to whether it may reduce the benefit of the shot or not. So he is planning to wait now until a bit after he has his shot and take it something he develops any soreness or aches, etc. thank you!

Catscankim

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was a few hours before i felt like i needed to take some ibuprofen. And i took it regularly for a few days because the site hurts pretty bad, like a tetanus shot.

Daisy

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did find a couple of websites that said it is best not to take anything prior to the shot as there are no studies as to whether it may reduce the benefit of the shot or not. So he is planning to wait now until a bit after he has his shot and take it something he develops any soreness or aches, etc. thank you!
That's a great decision! Even though some recommend taking for soreness and aches afterwards,
I never take any. I still believe a vaccine should be left well alone for a few days.
Of course there are cases that are severe enough to warrant a non steroidal anti inflammatory drug.
Best wishes to your son:)

DKing

Reaction score
That's a great decision! Even though some recommend taking for soreness and aches afterwards,
I never take any. I still believe a vaccine should be left well alone for a few days.
Of course there are cases that are severe enough to warrant a non steroidal anti inflammatory drug.
Best wishes to your son:)
He is about 2 hours past receiving the vaccination right now and feeling no ill effects so doesn't plan to take anything currently. In general, he tends to hold off on taking any otc meds unless he is feeling really unwell and i imagine he won't be too quick to rush to take anything unless necessary. I feel a lot of relief that he is not having any problems so far. There is so much conflicting information out there that it can make you a little apprehensive about taking these vaccinations even though I know it is the way to go to get life back to normal as quickly as possible.

Catscankim

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, a bunch of messages back I complained that even though my hospital had the vaccine before christmas, we didn't start getting it until start date of Jan 4th because the morons in our employee health dept were on holiday break. The CDC is paying attention. NOW they (employee health) are like get your shot NOW!!! Because the CDC is threatening to withdraw our supply because it hadn't rolled out as quick as it should have. There are a lot of curse words that I am omitting from this message.

They made me an appt for my second does for Feb 1st (Monday) after my first dose. I had no choice in this date (btw, they only give the shots until 1:30 pm because they leave for the day at 3pm).

Lots of ppl are sick and one of our techs is out "indefinitely" because she has lupus and should not have gotten the shot to begin with and now she is sick. They are currently not making appts for the second vaccine unless you have the next day off because so many ppl are calling out because they are sick.

I went to the employee health dept today..."can you make my appt for Friday please, I have off all weekend, we are already short staffed and now one of our techs is out because of getting sick from it. I cannot miss work."

NO. Keep your appointment or you do not get the second dose. You cannot change your appointment.

So when they realize that ppl are not coming to work after the second dose, they made a rule that you cannot get the shot if you have work the next day, then tell me that I am not allowed to make a different appointment because I don't want to miss work if I get sick, because we are short staffed and I can't afford to be out. I would rather be home feeling like crap then being at work or calling out for it.

Me not changing my appointment from Monday to Friday is an absolute decision. Employee health said no... my director went to HR to get my shot on a different day and they said no.

It makes no difference to ME if i get it Monday or Friday. I just know how short we already are. And so many people are calling out. Even the HR girl said she called out the next day. I am trying to avoid that if i feel that bad. And btw, why did HR get the vaccine before me?? They are not frontline. I had to talk to them through a speaker on the other side of the door LOL. They are so afraid of US...

These people are idiots. My whole department is getting our second dose next week.

BTW: I am not trying to deter people from getting the vaccine. A doctor that i work with said that if you get sick then that is good...healthy immune system and you are making antibodies. I am complaining about our system....

beckster51

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, a bunch of messages back I complained that even though my hospital had the vaccine before christmas, we didn't start getting it until start date of Jan 4th because the morons in our employee health dept were on holiday break. The CDC is paying attention. NOW they (employee health) are like get your shot NOW!!! Because the CDC is threatening to withdraw our supply because it hadn't rolled out as quick as it should have. There are a lot of curse words that I am omitting from this message.

They made me an appt for my second does for Feb 1st (Monday) after my first dose. I had no choice in this date (btw, they only give the shots until 1:30 pm because they leave for the day at 3pm).

Lots of ppl are sick and one of our techs is out "indefinitely" because she has lupus and should not have gotten the shot to begin with and now she is sick. They are currently not making appts for the second vaccine unless you have the next day off because so many ppl are calling out because they are sick.

I went to the employee health dept today..."can you make my appt for Friday please, I have off all weekend, we are already short staffed and now one of our techs is out because of getting sick from it. I cannot miss work."

NO. Keep your appointment or you do not get the second dose. You cannot change your appointment.

So when they realize that ppl are not coming to work after the second dose, they made a rule that you cannot get the shot if you have work the next day, then tell me that I am not allowed to make a different appointment because I don't want to miss work if I get sick, because we are short staffed and I can't afford to be out. I would rather be home feeling like crap then being at work or calling out for it.

Me not changing my appointment from Monday to Friday is an absolute decision. Employee health said no... my director went to HR to get my shot on a different day and they said no.

It makes no difference to ME if i get it Monday or Friday. I just know how short we already are. And so many people are calling out. Even the HR girl said she called out the next day. I am trying to avoid that if i feel that bad. And btw, why did HR get the vaccine before me?? They are not frontline. I had to talk to them through a speaker on the other side of the door LOL. They are so afraid of US...

These people are idiots. My whole department is getting our second dose next week.

BTW: I am not trying to deter people from getting the vaccine. A doctor that i work with said that if you get sick then that is good...healthy immune system and you are making antibodies. I am complaining about our system....
Kim, you have done what you could to avoid delays in service. Try to let it go. You can't cure stupid.

DKing

Reaction score
@Catscankim Do you know if it is only with the second dose that you are likely to get a reaction? My son had the Pfizer one, but only first dose so far, and had absolutely no reaction from it other than a mildly sore arm for a couple of days. I also heard that if you get a reaction that it shows that your body is reacting and forming antibodies to the virus. Now I am wondering if maybe his dose lost its effectiveness somehow. With how cold it needs to be stored, I have to wonder if there had been a time during its making and then delivery and storage until it was ready to be used, if maybe someone dropped the ball. Have you heard of any of your colleagues getting really sick after the second dose? I have read some concerning reports that seem to be mostly connected to the Pfizer vaccine, that have me a bit anxious as I know my son will be having his second dose in about 2-3 weeks.

beckster51

Supporting Member
Reaction score
@DKing Most people have a more severe reaction to the second shot, if they are going to have one at all. The first shot "introduces" the virus to your immune system. By the time you get the second shot, your immune system can fully recognize it, and it reacts much more than it does to the first shot. The first shot does provide some immunity, but it is the second shot that provides much higher immunity. Does this make sense? I may not be explaining it well. There is no proof that I know of that you must have a lot of side effects for the vaccine to be effective. Everybody's body is different, and some people notice side effects and some don't.

BattleGnome

Reaction score
@DKing I had the Pfizer shot through work and of the 6 people (including myself) that I’ve been able to talk to only one person had anything more than a sore arm. The one person who had a fever was maybe a degree over his normal temp (taken 4x daily). The fever responded to Tylenol and he was back to his usual self in a half hour or so.