Coronavirus

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can buy the attachment for your toilet (no special plumbing needed).
Now you have me thinking! I was scared of a cold water spray. Checked out a website selling bidet toilet seats and they all need electricity. If no electric outlet nearby, some people use cleverly routed extension cords or have an electrician install an outlet just for the bidet seat. So... Thank You! I am going to buy a bidet seat.

I have 2, 1 that you attach under the toilet seat and the 2nd is part of the toilet seat. And the water shoots out so fast that you don't even notice that it's cold, but it does wake you up in the morning.

We needed toilet paper as there was only 2 rolls left, dh got some and then the next day nothing left on the shelf ( do they all think they are going to get diarrhoea ). No hand sanitizer either. On the news a medical person said that sanitizer won't do anything unless it has antibacterial or antimicrobal on the label. DH, was just in Aldi and the checkout operators are wearing gloves :rolleyes:. He was at Bunnings and a man asked if they had a filter (mask) that was cheaper than $54 :eek:. Maybe I could sell my soaping ones out front :D.
There are two schools of thought a) people are panic buying because they think it comes from China and we won’t get supplies (we have several manufacturers in Australia) b) people think they will be quarantined (if you are the Red Cross will supply the essentials in Australia).

Apparently you are more likely to get supplies first thing in the morning when supermarkets open.

It’s not just toilet paper Australians are panic buying - hand sanitiser, bacterial wipes, rice, pasta, baked beans and UHT milk are all in short supply.

Don’t bother with the face masks - keep your hands away from your face, wash your hands regularly, don’t touch public balustrades, shopping carts, door handles etc etc without washing your hands or using bacterial wipes.

I can't get loo roll anywhere!!:eek:

Hi, have you tried Amazon? Went shopping yesterday and Waitrose, Morrisons, Home Bargains, Aldi all still had plenty of loo rolls here in Warwicks/Worcs.
If you still can't find any, you can use kitchen rolls (tear each sheet into two), face/ hand tissues (own brands are fine), baby wipes (I find Huggies are best as they don't have any plastic fibres in them) but dont't flush the baby wipes down the loo.
Good luck :)

P.S. If you can't get hold of any of the above, can always do what they did during the war.... cut up newspaper :D

Last edited:
4 cases confirmed in Galicia, Spain, one in the general hospital here in Coruña. No deaths as yet.

In Spain overall, 500 confirmed cases, 10 deaths, makes for a morbidity rate of 2%. The media are insisting on the fact that the mortalities are people with prior heart/pulmonary/age issues, but some members of the public take no notice and get all fired up about the end of the world, especially on the social media. The rest of Spain takes it with wonderful aplomb, last night I had dinner in Ourense with some friends and we ended up chanting "Coronavirus, coronavirus" to the strains of a famous soccer chant. The Spanish memes are very funny and ironic and do a lot to take the edge off things. At the same time, there are no face masks to be found anywhere for love or money. Still plenty of toilet paper, though.

Perhaps all this is a plot by bidet manufacturers to snatch customers desperate to keep their bums clean. I went without toilet paper for almost a year in Turkey (they use soap and water and the left hand, always the left hand), and my nethers never felt so immaculate.

Those soapers of a venerable age with heart and lung issues, take care, and don't run unnecessary risks. As for me and my pet pangolin, we're going to the park to sneeze and cough on everyone :p

PS: what makes me very sad is how things are going in Italy. The country that gave us law, politics, language, Cicero, Tacitus, etc., always ends up getting hammered.

I was listening to the governor and he said that NY state will be combatting price gouging of hand sanitizers by producing it's own. It has 75% alcohol and a floral scent, as he stated, the the first to get access to it will be those in New Rochelle, NY. I must say, I am very interested in getting a gallon but a small pump will do too.

We're in a state of emergency in NY, by the way. 100 people have been affected but most cases were a little ways upstate.

Edit- 20 people have tested positive for coronavirus in NYC. These are mostly residents with one or two city workers. The mayor stated the city will be helping businesses affected by this virus and that schools will be receiving additional nurses. I did not catch everything said.

Last edited:
It pretty much seems to be everywhere now and I guess the only questions are how bad will it get and will I/ my loved ones get it?

Scary that Italy is effectively shut from now,suspect it wont be the last country to have to do so.

Australia way back when ……… we will be remembering the toilet paper wars of 2020 :D.

89602077_3050738628311325_8891773791072419840_n.jpg

Danish government officially shut down schools and universities as of last night. My 2 kiddos have been out most of the week with... you guessed it, cough and a fever. I contacted their doctor who said unless they have been in direct contact with a confirmed coronavirus patient, they were to stay at home, no doctor visit needed. My hubby works for the National Museum and they will be closing for 2 weeks starting tomorrow and told everyone to work from home. The school my oldest goes to will be closed as of Monday. No official word from the daycare my youngest goes to.

Last week, before I left to go to France, I told my hubby about this thread and people not being able to find TP. When he came home from the store he had the biggest pack of TP he could find, because he got nervous about running out in the case of quarantine. It will be interesting to see what the stores look like today.

The TP situation is starting in NY too. It is so weird to go into a store and see empty shelves all over, TP, paper towels, no clorox wipes, no alcohol, soup section depleted. I have taken to wearing my soapin' gloves in stores so I am not touching carts or payment keypads.

My hubby is at risk so I am being very mindful of everything I touch in public. Unfortunately, he isn't taking this as serious as I am and thinks I am overreacting.

What is really irking me is that people around me are like: "it's just a cold", "I'm not worried about getting it", "I'll be fine", "this is being overblown by the media", "it's only bad if you are old or have preexisting conditions".....
To these people: stop being so GD selfish. This is a big deal. We need to start taking precautions, work on social distancing as much as possible and only travel if absolutely necessary. It's not about just you. It's about the 20% of people who get this who will get a severe form of the disease that will need medical intervention.
It's about not overwhelming our healthcare centers and putting our healthcare workers at risk. We saw what happened in the early days of Wuhan. We are seeing what is happening in Italy right now. They are picking who they are trying to save, who they think has the best chance...sorry about the other guy. It's about what happens to patients when we run out of ventilators.

What is really irking me is that people around me are like: "it's just a cold", "I'm not worried about getting it", "I'll be fine", "this is being overblown by the media", "it's only bad if you are old or have preexisting conditions".....
To these people: stop being so GD selfish. This is a big deal. We need to start taking precautions, work on social distancing as much as possible and only travel if absolutely necessary. It's not about just you. It's about the 20% of people who get this who will get a severe form of the disease that will need medical intervention.
It's about not overwhelming our healthcare centers and putting our healthcare workers at risk. We saw what happened in the early days of Wuhan. We are seeing what is happening in Italy right now. They are picking who they are trying to save, who they think has the best chance...sorry about the other guy. It's about what happens to patients when we run out of ventilators.

I agree. When I hear people saying things like that, when I have the chance, I explain to them (in a kind and caring way of course:)) that they can easily carry it to others and potentially cause their death. That generally stops them in their tracks and makes them re-think the whole situation.
I think that young healthy people just don't think about the impact they might have on other more vulnerable people. Sometimes, they just need to be kindly educated. :)

My community has a food bank hosted by the religious groups in town. We are taking the common sense precautions and all of us are keeping contact with our elderly clients. I have not seen a TP, Paper Towel, or disinfecting product shortage. Keep calm and wash your hands!

Sending prayers!

My main concern is my 98 year old father. He has heart disease and diabetes. We usually have some sort of doctor's appointment about once a week. We're doing a lot of handwashing. I have wipes in the car too. I have always bought about 6 containers at a time from Amazon, and had just received a carton before all this craziness started. So I feel very fortunate in that regard.
Best wishes to all.

I've officially cancelled my vacation - just the right thing to do. Our company is on the BCP protocol globally so all offices globally will work with 50% working from home, 50% working from the office (if the office is not shut down completely like Singapore, Manilla, Italy and a few others where 100% are working from home) and "social distancing" which means if you are in the office you are to be at least 6 feet apart from another person working. If you have meetings, no more than 3 physical persons are to attend the meeting unless they are in a different conference room (3 to a room) or else you need to do the meeting by video conference. If you take public transportation to get to work (I used to ride the bus when our office was downtown) it's mandated you find other means of transportation, or you work from home, etc.,

We are very lucky, we have the ability to work from home. There are so many companies out there that either don't allow for that or make you take PTO if you are staying home, etc,

Back