Coronavirus

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@gecko a model that is being widely used by the medical community to predict hospital resource use is estimating that around 97% of the US population will have not have immunity when the first wave of the epidemic is over. (See here, under “length of the epidemic”). The model uses data on death rates to project infection rates, rather than relying infection rate data that is compromised by a lack of testing.

I fished out a bunch of quilting fabric and will be making masks today. I was going to make my first attempt at the challenge but I want to see how many masks I can make instead.

We are going to the senior shopping at 6am tomorrow so we are getting ready for that. My husband is going to wear his respirator. Never in my life did I think making soap and working construction would be so useful during a pandemic.

I mailed my daughter a box of gloves and she texted that she was keeping some and giving the rest to her friend's husband who is an ER doctor in NY. The fact that my soaping gloves are going to good use makes me very happy. I am also thankful I ordered a case of them before this began.

This is what I came up with. Can’t find my elastic so I used snap tape and rubber bands. Making six because my aunt needs a couple. Have to meet her on the NY MA border on Monday

Attachments

• EC1C42E7-B186-456A-A986-7034EEB2ECEF.jpeg
    EC1C42E7-B186-456A-A986-7034EEB2ECEF.jpeg
    186.4 KB · Views: 42
  • 8347121A-59BD-40C1-9220-6D07E8D5CC3A.jpeg
    8347121A-59BD-40C1-9220-6D07E8D5CC3A.jpeg
    221.3 KB · Views: 40
DH bought a few like this in Vietnam to stop some of the smoke when fire fighting. Beautifully made.
You might be able to work out a pattern. they fit really snuggly over the face and don’t look like a ducks bill.
View attachment 44945 View attachment 44946
View attachment 44944
Bwahahaha That is what I was doing with my Duck Bill, it didnt' turn out very well but hey, it was god enough.
here it is on a roll of Paper towels.. it was all free hand in literally a few minutes on my machine as DD was yelling at me to get going. It covered my chin to my neck LOL
IMG_20200404_175529837[1].jpg
OK ok I don't EVER post pics of me but here it is on my face lol
IMG_20200404_175822709[1].jpg

man I am starting to get a chicken next hahahahhahaa

Last edited by a moderator:
This website has a pattern for a fitted mask similar to the one @penelopejane shows, and in different sizes if you scroll down: https://www.craftpassion.com/face-mask-sewing-pattern/

I made a rectangular mask today and it’s way too big for my face. I’m going to try a fitted version tomorrow and then I will probably make more of the rectangular ones to give away. I have a ton of fabric and at least a few yards of narrow elastic. I don’t think I have snaps, but maybe some will turn up if I search long enough. I do have loads of Velcro. Now I know why I’m a fabric and notions hoarder :)

This website has a pattern for a fitted mask similar to the one @penelopejane shows, and in different sizes if you scroll down: https://www.craftpassion.com/face-mask-sewing-pattern/

I made a rectangular mask today and it’s way too big for my face. I’m going to try a fitted version tomorrow and then I will probably make more of the rectangular ones to give away. I have a ton of fabric and at least a few yards of narrow elastic. I don’t think I have snaps, but maybe some will turn up if I search long enough. I do have loads of Velcro. Now I know why I’m a fabric and notions hoarder :)
Thanks mobjack that looks pretty close. They are really comfortable.
@Lin19687 you are brave! Thankfully someone models mine in the link above so I am saved from having to do so.

I made six today. I cut the pleated side 10 x 13.5 and the unpleated back 5 x 13.5.
The first one I made was 12 x 12 an it was too big in width and to short in length. I was steaming up my glasses LOL.
I used a 1/2 inch seam allowance and then flipped it inside out, made another pleat to make the sides smaller and added the snaps. It fits over my ears and I can wash it easily. If the rubber bands break I can add another with no problem. Not the best needlework I have ever done but it will keep cooties away to grocery shop.

Last edited:
@Lin19687 You have the beginnings of a great Halloween costume!
Oh, I AM a Halloween costume daily ! (even with out the duck bill on ) hahahaa

https://www.cnn.com/interactive/2020/health/coronavirus-maps-and-cases/
Link to see Stats on not only US but the World. Looks like it is updated every day, has numbers and graphs (how often known cases have doubled) since the outbreak.
Wish it had Ages of people who have died so others can see it ISN'T an old/sick that is dying.
So if you know someone that thinks it is not going to come their way, show them this. I am still amazed at hearing people say that.
If you don't have a mask, make one from tshirts if you have to, anything is better then nothing. The best line of defense starts with you... as in everyone.

This afternoon my siblings and I are all going to be on a Video conference for my Nephews B-day (we are all over the US). One is in NY. Can't wait to find out if my siblings are intelligent or stupid by what they are doing and what they say about C19 - I already know 1 is an idiot but they are family by marriage lol

Last edited by a moderator:
A friend and I are making masks for our VA hospital. Turned in 30 yesterday. We both make them and when I have my batch done, I put them in a bag hanging on my front door; she picks them up and takes them to her contact from the VA. It is working well. Have stopped making soap for the short term as this is more important right now. Do have a 200 bar order for a November wedding so I still have time for that one and a fundraiser coming in early June so mid-week I will make more soap for that one - other than that, I am making masks.

Walmart has online grocery ordering which works spectacularly well so that is how we are getting our foodstuffs and other supplies. Our daughter is an essential employee and so she stops for little items for us if we need anything between Walmart orders.

Stay healthy - stay home!

Last edited:
Here are my two prototype masks. The top one started as two pieces of 9”x 7” fabric and the binding was cut on the grain from the outer fabric. It is too big for my little squarish face, but fits a longer, more oval face just fine. The bottom one is made from the pattern at the website I linked above. I made a casing to insert a piece of wire that conforms to the bridge of my nose and there’s a way to add a third liner layer if I decide to do that. It fits well enough that I’m going to make a second one with only minor adjustments. Then, if I can find a place that will take them, I will get busy making more of the first design. I will change the design slightly to take advantage of the elastic I have in my stash. I’m hoping I can get more because the ties I made are a bit bulky. I have a stash of rubber bands so that’s another option to consider.

2E85099E-F83E-4FAF-B274-6E0DA86BA984.jpeg

We went senior shopping at 6am this morning. Store was pretty empty and everyone had masks on. I was anxious just being out. I can't imagine how my kids are handling this in the city.

I found a mill in Texas that still has bread flour you can order. They are refunding $10.00 on shipping on orders over 10#. Bread flour is impossible to get here. I used all purpose to make bread this week but it isn't the same. It is called Barton Spring Mills if anyone wants to order.

We went senior shopping at 6am this morning. Store was pretty empty and everyone had masks on. I was anxious just being out. I can't imagine how my kids are handling this in the city.

I found a mill in Texas that still has bread flour you can order. They are refunding $10.00 on shipping on orders over 10#. Bread flour is impossible to get here. I used all purpose to make bread this week but it isn't the same. It is called Barton Spring Mills if anyone wants to order.
We have to wait on line to get into some supermarkets. Some of the stores are doing sales and some are not. Food and stuff is expensive, as usual. Side note, I saw an open Hagen Daaz. I wanted to go in so bad.

We have to wait on line to get into some supermarkets. Some of the stores are doing sales and some are not. Food and stuff is expensive, as usual. Side note, I saw an open Hagen Daaz. I wanted to go in so bad.
Yeah my daughter was so desperate she went to the Key Foods on Atlantic. She couldn't get into Whole Foods the line was too long.

Yeah my daughter was so desperate she went to the Key Foods on Atlantic. She couldn't get into Whole Foods the line was too long.
Whole Food's has been off my broke radar. If she lives where I'm thinking that is (that KeyFood is by Sahadi's) She'd be better of waking up as earlier as possible (not too early as a lot of stores are give the elderly and disabled early access) and going to Trader Joe's. Taking the bus to Stop & Shop early is also a good idea (within reason).
That KeyFood isn't a bad store but it is one of the few larger grocery stores in that area so traveling farther for certain things might be a thing.

We skyped with some friends of ours in Missoula yesterday. They told us a couple of stores are filling orders and delivering them into your car so people don't even have to go into the store. It seems like a good idea. Some of the shops here have limits on the amount of people that can be in the store at a time. I haven't seen it with grocery stores yet, but we live in a small town, so it might be happening in the larger cities already.

All of our major chains here will do that, or you can arrange for pick up (they bring it to your vehicle). Unfortunately, they've been overwhelmed; I've even heard one person on the radio who said it would take nearly a month to receive their order as they're that backed up.

Latest posts

Back