Coronavirus

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lin........ You may feel God isn't going to help us now but He has been helping me get out of bed in the morning for almost 80 years now. Why on Earth would I think He would stop doing that now? Once we get to really know Him it surprising what He will do to help those that love and trust Him.

Please, this isnt the time or place. I don't want to disparage anyone religious belief but not everyone here believes in a Christian God.

I understand that not everyone believes in a Christian God. But if anyone is allowed to post their beliefs, then all should be allowed to post their beliefs. Just like Lin did.

We need to avoid controversy to avoid tearing this group apart, yes. But beliefs are beliefs. And as long as no one is attacking anyone else, then they should be allowed to state their beliefs.

I do think, however, that the admins would prefer that this particular subject be minimized for the comfort of all.

Lin........ You may feel God isn't going to help us now but He has been helping me get out of bed in the morning for almost 80 years now. Why on Earth would I think He would stop doing that now? Once we get to really know Him it surprising what He will do to help those that love and trust Him.
Please no theological discussions. This isn't why we are here. We are here to support each other as soapmakers and people; regardless of country or religion.

So... I have to start my update with a little funny. I mentioned to my hubby that in TWD you never see them concerned about TP - it's always food, medical, gas, and ammunition (with the random pregnancy test thrown in). He looked at me and said "well, they don't look for it because it was the first thing to go..." He thought he was hilarious, it's taken me a while to come around. Let me know when you get there.

SD currently has 10 cases - I think we are at 1 or 2 deaths (I'm not sure if the one announced is in addition to the one I already knew about or is the one I knew about). Last Friday at noon it was announced that schools would be closed this week - insert mass panic and grocery store rioting as the school closure also closed our city's Boys and Girls Club - where approximately 500 kids are fed daily. This week would have been two days of school and 3 days spring break, so many parents were suddenly having to plan for an extra two days at home for older kids, or making arrangements for five days at home for younger kids. Many daycares are closed, but I have seen quite a few teens posting on FB that they will babysit single families in their own home. Today it was announced that school closure will continue for next week as well. I will be creating a school plan for the kids so they are not sleeping until noon and gaming/watching TV the entire time. They'll be thrilled. Our library has initiated a curbside delivery for book checkout. Unfortunately our grocery stores are not doing online delivery - although I wonder if that is more because empty shelves makes it hard to fill orders properly and not because they're jerkfaces. Many restaurants are cutting their seating to half. The taproom is only open for growler fills, no seating. The coffee shops are doing takeout only. Many of our small businesses are adjusting and find ways to make things work. As my boss at the restuarant said... "as long as people are able to make their incomes, we would be foolish not to adjust."

So far hubby and I have been fortunate that we both work engineering type jobs, which allows us to work semi-isolated and practice social distancing. For once being an introvert might be a good thing... Our household has been put on social distancing protocol, and I am increasing everyone's hygiene practices, cleaning schedules, and health supplements. I have an autoimmune disease in remission, so I am taking extra supplements (because of course this would be the time that work blows up and increases my stress x10) as well as making some minor tweaks to my diet to improve probiotic intake - hello homemade yogurt and kombucha!

what liquids are ppl using to soap???? Because I didn’t believe the funk because... well im already a shut in. Went to get water and its only this sport water at my local store.

what liquids are ppl using to soap???? Because I didn’t believe the funk because... well im already a shut in. Went to get water and its only this sport water at my local store.
I suggested aloe juice earlier. Walmart stocks it and I bet there hasn't been a run on it yet. Find it near pharmacy with the vitamins and supplements

You can distill your own water at home using a pot a rack a bowl and the pot lid. Many dutch ovens have a basting lid, if you don't have one of them you can turn the pot lid upside down so the evaporated water can drip down into the bowl.

Last edited:
Massachusetts is up to 218 confirmed cases :(

One of the restaurants I work at (nationwide store, widely known) is trying take out today since seating/bar all closed today across Mass. Everyone thinks they will keep that going.
I can tell you for a fact.......... it will not, and I have a bet that take-out ends by thursday/friday.

All our roads are almost empty when driving during "rush hour", eerily quiet.
Mall just about empty, major mall stores (Macy's, Jordan Furniture, Nordstrom, Bloomingdale's, Apple). Quick google search and here is a News channel that lists more.
https://kfor.com/news/major-retail-stores-closing-adjusting-hours-amid-coronavirus-outbreak/

Please, if you take Medications, call your Dr and see if they can call in an extra script for a month just in case.
I have one stop tomorrow to do just that as I am just about out of my Thyroid meds :( Just occurred to me this afternoon. I have refills remaining and called the Pharmacy to see if they could fill it early and they said come tomorrow as they didn't have time today. I was very thank full for their understanding and able to do that for me.

I had a Dr. appointment last Friday as my prescriptions were running out. I now have enough on hand for two months with four months still available on the script, so I'm good there. At work, the week has been really slow so my boss has asked my co-worker and me to work half days for the time being. He'll take the mornings (8:30 - 1:00) and I'll work 12:30 - 5:00 as it's me who does the cash out at the end of the day. Two co-workers have been temporarily laid off as they will be in self-isolation for two weeks. I do not work directly with these two co-workers, thankfully; they're in our production shop, off site. However, both have been travelling, one out of country and the other has been in crowded areas, including a ferry so they've been asked to self monitor.

As of this afternoon, our town has 7 confirmed cases. It's getting real, real fast!

By the way, about the ibuprofen and coronavirus posted above, here's the truth:

https://www.bbc.com/news/51929628

Please, people, for the love of all that's soapy, check your facts before posting. Speaking as someone who is allergic to Tylenol/acetaminophen/paracetamol, I just about had a fit trying to prove or disprove that. Ibuprofen is my go-to for all pain relief and fever relief.

By the way, about the ibuprofen and coronavirus posted above, here's the truth:

https://www.bbc.com/news/51929628

Please, people, for the love of all that's soapy, check your facts before posting. Speaking as someone who is allergic to Tylenol/acetaminophen/paracetamol, I just about had a fit trying to prove or disprove that. Ibuprofen is my go-to for all pain relief and fever relief.

I feel this message is directed towards me.. my source was the French ministry of health's guidelines for health care professionals, so I did check my source/facts and I linked to the website. I know most people on here don't speak French, but I hadn't found a reputable English source yet.
I merely posted to remind people not to self medicate with ibuprofen and similar drugs, especially these days (which at least in my surroundings a lot of people do, even though ibuprofen is officially a prescription drug). I also specified that it was for treatment of the symptoms of covid-19 that prescription of NSAIDS was discouraged. I thought it obvious that medical treatment should not be started or stopped without consulting a medical doctor, but maybe I should have specified or maybe this is not the place for medical info. I thought about that for a bit before posting, but felt it might be useful for a wider public to know, exactly because so many people self medicate with these kind of drugs.

I just survived my 1st hospital layoff. My company just slashed in half one of our hospitals services! NOW!!! NOW they want to ressurect this half closed hospital and turn it into a Covid-19 specialty hospital!!!!! As this hospital owns a TON of ventilators!
Who are they going to get to work there??? WHO? They already transitioned the staff into new roles! Majority of the nurses and doctors I know are scared dookyless over this virus!
My position is a system float nurse! That will be ME getting pulled to the front lines!
Not to keen on this idea! Not at all.
I am very happy this new passion of soap making! Soap is very needed at this time!
So my fellow soapers, get to work!!!!
Wash your hands! Stay healthy!
And I am willing and able to help members that maybe out of work!
Reach out!
Spread love! Not viruses!

errr... Get to work meant MAKE MORE SOAP!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
So funny how it differs from one place to the other. Our nurses and physicians are taking the proper precautions and just going with the flow. No drama at all working hard to take care of patients and themselves.

I've made the decision to continue to work at the hospital rather than remote should my residents need me.

Last edited:
Please stick to the topic at hand and leave religion of any sort out of the discussion.
I hadn't meant to put that, I think it was stuck in the reply box even though I thought I had taken it out and when I replied to someone else it was still there.

Please stick to the topic at hand and leave religion of any sort out of the discussion.
With all due respect, Relle, I disagree. Christians have been commissioned (commanded) by God Himself to share God’s word and pray that the world turns to Jesus. With social distancing and closed churches, I find no offense, and in fact am comforted, in folks who share the good news and hope of God in any forum. In fact it shows how critical it is now more than ever. Indeed, I am thankful that we have an internet by which to do this. I expect I will continue to infuse all my speech anywhere my voice is heard or written, with the word of God as is expected of me.

Please, this isnt the time or place. I don't want to disparage anyone religious belief but not everyone here believes in a Christian God.
But there are many who do believe in God and I will not erase Him from my words.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back