Cornstarch

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

I have noticed when looking at different soap blogs that some of them put cornstarch in their CP soap. Any ideas why?

If I am soaping with citrus scents I always use corn starch as an anchor,It definitely works and IMO gives the soap a more smoother feel :)

How is cornstarch mixed together with the EO ? And how much cornstarch ?

Just guessing, I'd mix it with a little oil (since EOs aren't soluble in water), but not sure it's the best choice.

P.S. Just noticed I am talking in the wrong forum :?

I use about 1/3-1/2 (max) tablespoon mixed with a little oil taken from main batch (olive or almond I use) I mix to a fine consistency then add my FO to this and then mix back into main oils. Don't use too much cornstarch because IMHO it can make your soap powdery. :)

edited to change teaspoon to tablespoon, my bad :oops:

I had the idea that powders might absorb scent. Does anyone know how or why cornstarch anchors a scent? I would be willing to try half a teaspoon and see what it's like.

Same explanation seems obvious to me.

I was just thinking today that charcoal probably works even better. If it only was white instead of black :p

trishwosere: you use this for your FO's too? Not just Citrus EO? That's very interesting.

As a general rule do you always do it or just with known non-sticking FO's?

I always thought of charcoal as a neutralizer as in odour-eaters etc.,

I don't know why cornstarch anchors but it definately absorbs the scent. I had it recommended to me to use 1tablespoon PPO but I found this amount made my soap chalky/powdery so I cut it down to about 1/3 -1/2 that amount max', and it works just fine :)

i use cornstarch to anchor citrus scents, and also to boost staying power for fos that tend to fade. and i too have cut the quantity from about 1 T ppo to about half that.

Stacey said:
trishwosere: you use this for your FO's too? Not just Citrus EO? That's very interesting.

As a general rule do you always do it or just with known non-sticking FO's?

I don't do it always no, but if I'm soaping one of my favourite citruses that I know is a fader then I use the cornstarch.I have a tangerine and also a blood orange that smell divine, but they unfortunately fade, so I use the cornstarch method with them, and also with the exception of litsea I use it in the majority of citruses. I've never thought about using it in any other FO apart from citruses...this is something I shall have to try soon :wink:

I wonder if you can sub in arrowroot or another starch. My daughter is allergic to corn - cornstarch irritates her so we removed it from the lotion bars and replaced with arrowroot.

We can also easily get rice starch, potato starch etc.....all from the asian market. like 2-3 bucks for a pound

I have heard Orris Root powder is also an excellent scent fixative and has a very slightly more exfoliant texture than cornstarch.

soapbuddy said:
I prefer oatmeal. Orris root makes me seriously itch.

Fair enough! There are always going to be individual sensitivities and everyone should always check to make sure that their ingredients are not going to affect the intended user.

That being said, soapbuddy, are you otherwise allergic to Irises or other members of the Iris family?

I was curious about this and found another post on this subject.

The usage suggested on this was 1 tablespoon PPO on the other post. I see some on here suggesting less though. I used 1 tbsp ppo on a batch of soap I made last night. I hope it's ok, I'm all worried now!

I did notice one thing though, it seemed like my soap traces much faster with cornstarch in it, and I think I got a partial gel even though I soaped really cool.

Has anyone else noticed this with cornstarch?

http://www.soapmakingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=153634&sid=7ef4aae2257ec829f4cbb458d09646dd

The more I am reading this thread, the more I get the idea that (if possible), essential oils should be mixed with a little oil and whatever powder gets into the soap (pigments, herbs, exfoliants, etc.).

Fyrja said:
The usage suggested on this was 1 tablespoon PPO on the other post. I see some on here suggesting less though. I used 1 tbsp ppo on a batch of soap I made last night. I hope it's ok, I'm all worried now!

Very confusing. Everybody here seems to be using much less :?

You are possibly the best person who can shed light on the matter.

By getting a little piece of soap, washing your hands (or gloves - if it still zaps) and let us know if it feels chalky / powdery :wink:

Latest posts

Back