corned beef & cabbage recipes?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Its that time of years again, time for me to absolutely ruin a good piece of corned beef. Doesn't matter what I try, it comes out tough and dry.

Does anyone here have a fool proof recipe or technique? My family would appreciate it:)

Its that time of years again, time for me to absolutely ruin a good piece of corned beef. Doesn't matter what I try, it comes out tough and dry.

Does anyone here have a fool proof recipe or technique? My family would appreciate it:)

1. Go to a deli
2. Order a reuben
3. Eat the reuben
4. Drink a beer.

:D

Sorry, could not resist.

Crockpot!

I get the David and Murphy (I think that's the brand) corned beef. Add potatoes (I love Yukon Gold), carrots, and onions. Water to cover. Cook on LOW 6-8 hours. Slice cabbage into wedges (remove core), add and cook for 1 hour or until cabbage is done.

Last edited:
We used to have this AMAZING restaurant. It was called VJ's on the Runway, b/c it was right by the airport. Long before the days of heightened security, airport personnel regularly ate there, so it had a steady clientele. Sadly, that dwindled and it finally closed. They corned their own beef, had amazing fried green tomatoes AND tamales.

Do you have Sam's Club where you live? I can't remember the brand but they have wonderful corned beef. To me it sounds more like the meat itself rather than the cooking method if you are simmering it, dumping in the spice packet if you get one or adding in some extra pickling spice. I simply start mine in cold water and simmer for several hours. My favorite are the point cut, but they have less fat and are quite expensive so I would recommend the flat cut with more fat. Then can be done in an oven but we find they get pretty strong when cooked in the oven. I do not add in my carrots, cabbage and potatoes before straining the cooking juice and returning it to the pot. Carrots go in first and I cook them for about 5 min then the potatoes go in a last the cabbage since it only takes 5-10 min to cook.

Unfortunately the quality of corned beef depends on the meat itself and when I was younger I used to corn my own but now I a just to lazy. I love this time of year because I go to the store after St. Patrick's Day and purchase all the marked down Corn Beef I can find. Yum Yum Yum

Sorry but Irish food as a whole I've had next to none to my knowledge. Dixiedragon's crockpot suggestion is a great one for any cut of meat imo. Do you have one to use for food is the real question.

Meh, if you are that worried about using something that after making soap and scrubbed under hot water is not clean, one - you might be making soap wrong ( :D ). But anyway - get some crock pot lining bags, found near the foil, wax paper and zipper bags. I never make anything in a crock pot without one, so much easier to clean up.

I cook the meat and vegetables separate. Brown meat (I brown all meat, even ribs). Into a heavy duty foil, onions and seasoning massaged in on all sides. Pull up sides of foil and add just enough water (I usually add a little chicken broth) wrap super tight and wrap again so you don't lose what little liquids you have. Have oven on 190. Cook for about 4 hours (or when it is the tenderness you prefer). When almost done cook vegetables with seasoning and add to meat. I really don't like boiling meat for any reason.

Like LisaAnne, I generally prefer oven over crockpot. I'm going to have to try her corned beef method! I've done it in the oven and it's pretty good, but not quite as tender. I think I am going to try browning it in a skillet and putting it in the crockpot.

Dad loves corned beef. I replace the potatoes with turnips to make it low-carb.

This is the one I do every year.

Ingredients

• 1 (4 pound) corned beef brisket with spice packet (or smaller depending on how many people you are serving)
  • 3 quarts water
  • 1 onion, quartered
  • 3 carrots, cut into large chunks
  • 1 teaspoon of garlic powder

• 3 stalks celery, cut into 2-inch pieces
  • Salt and Pepper to taste
  • 2 pounds red potatoes, halved
  • 1 small head cabbage, cut into eighths

Directions

1. Combine corned beef and spice packet contents, water, onion, carrots, celery, garlic powder, salt and pepper together in a large pot or Dutch oven; bring to a simmer, skimming off any foam that rises to the surface.
  2. Cover the pot, reduce heat to low, and simmer until meat is almost fork-tender, about 2 ½ to 3 hours.
  3. Add potatoes and simmer, uncovered, until potatoes are almost tender, about 30 minutes.
  4. Place cabbage pieces on top of and around meat, cover the pot, and simmer until cabbage is tender, 20 to 30 minutes.
  5. Remove meat to a cutting board and let rest 10 to 15 minutes. Cut across the grain and serve in a bowl; ladle vegetables and broth over the top.

I also try to replace the water with chicken stock. I only use water if I am out and do not have time to make my own.

Last edited:
Meh, if you are that worried about using something that after making soap and scrubbed under hot water is not clean, one - you might be making soap wrong ( :D ). But anyway - get some crock pot lining bags, found near the foil, wax paper and zipper bags. I never make anything in a crock pot without one, so much easier to clean up.

I'll be content to being that paranoid lady with two crockpots (yes I admit I have two and what of it? :lol:) My second one can at least cook enough food for a family of 4 whereas my soaping crockpot is a 1.5 qt model with serous etches in it. I don't trust the little etches in the enamel of my soaping crockpot not to potentially develop some nasties if food was actually cooked in it now. :(

I'm also not afraid of a little elbow grease. I know the practicality of them but I view slow cooker liners as I do k-cup.

Ingredients

• 1 (4 pound) corned beef brisket with spice packet (or smaller depending on how many people you are serving)
  • 3 quarts water
  • 1 onion, quartered
  • 3 carrots, cut into large chunks
  • 1 teaspoon of garlic powder

• 3 stalks celery, cut into 2-inch pieces
  • Salt and Pepper to taste
  • 2 pounds red potatoes, halved
  • 1 small head cabbage, cut into eighths

Directions

1. Combine corned beef and spice packet contents, water, onion, carrots, celery, garlic powder, salt and pepper together in a large pot or Dutch oven; bring to a simmer, skimming off any foam that rises to the surface.
  2. Cover the pot, reduce heat to low, and simmer until meat is almost fork-tender, about 2 ½ to 3 hours.
  3. Add potatoes and simmer, uncovered, until potatoes are almost tender, about 30 minutes.
  4. Place cabbage pieces on top of and around meat, cover the pot, and simmer until cabbage is tender, 20 to 30 minutes.
  5. Remove meat to a cutting board and let rest 10 to 15 minutes. Cut across the grain and serve in a bowl; ladle vegetables and broth over the top.
Sounds like my recipe! Great every time!:)

Yummy! Can I come to your houses for dinner? No one else here eats corned beef and cabbage. :cry:

Whatever you do, if you're going to the trouble of making a corned beef dinner, please please please don't buy the grocery store version of soda bread. Make your own from scratch - it's 40 times better and very quick and simple (It's not a yeast bread - except some of the grocery stores are:evil:)

Oh! And splurge on the Kerrygold butter to slather onto the homemade soda bread!

Yummy! Can I come to your houses for dinner? No one else here eats corned beef and cabbage. :cry:

Whatever you do, if you're going to the trouble of making a corned beef dinner, please please please don't buy the grocery store version of soda bread. Make your own from scratch - it's 40 times better and very quick and simple (It's not a yeast bread - except some of the grocery stores are:evil:)

Oh! And splurge on the Kerrygold butter to slather onto the homemade soda bread!

Come on over, Lenarenee. By the way I use Kerrygold butter all year round. :mrgreen:

Kerry.jpg

Last edited:
Here is my Aunty Alice's recipe, very simple but incredibly tasty. And the liquid that everything cooks in makes the greatest split pea soup!
Aunty Alice's Corned Beef and Cabbage

Put corned beef (or daisy ham) in pot, cover with water. Add 1 T peppercorns, 16 cloves, 4 bay leaves and some celery tops. Simmer for 1 1/2 hrs. Add carrots, onions and celery. Cook til they start to get tender, then add potatoes, and last of all cabbage, cut into 1/8ths. Cook until potatoes and cabbage are tender. So good!

I cook mine in my cast iron pot. I put the corned beef in the pot with the season packet and then fill with water to just cover. Put in oven at 200 for 7-8 hours. I put the carrots potatoes and cabbage in for the last 1-2 hours. You can also do it in the crockpot. One of our favorite meals

Sy Ginsberg corned beef is the best I can get here.

My foodie husband just bought this combo convection / steam oven: http://www.theblackpeppercorn.com/2013/10/cuisinart-combo-steam-and-convection-oven-product-review/
yes, it has been referred to as his new "easy bake oven" but OMG its good for bread and meats and corned beef dinners.
We tried basically this recipe: http://www.purcellmurray.com/blog/index.php/article/19022
1) nothing was soggy or overdone, very clean tastes, and 2) the corned beef cut like deli corned beef it was so solid and even, yet it was still tender. Totally perfect slices for sammiches, which I never got from the crockpot.
Now, I've never tried a regular oven for this, so perhaps that would work too - maybe add a pan of water to the bottom of the oven for steam.

Thank you for all the ideas. I think I see some of my problem, I've never covered the meat with liquid. I only put about 1" of water in the crock then cook for 3 hours or so. I will try covering it and cooking it much longer. I admit that I am a crock pot cook failure, I can't make roast beef in one either.
I have a really nice dutch oven I wouldn't mind using instead but I'm not sure if its big enough, I bought a pretty big chunk of meat this year.

I actually have never heard of soda bread but it doesn't sound good. Makes me think of soda crackers in bread form, am I way off base? Never heard of kerrygold butter either, oh the joys of small town living.

Latest posts

Back