corned beef & cabbage recipes?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My foodie husband just bought this combo convection / steam oven: http://www.theblackpeppercorn.com/2013/10/cuisinart-combo-steam-and-convection-oven-product-review/
yes, it has been referred to as his new "easy bake oven" but OMG its good for bread and meats and corned beef dinners.
We tried basically this recipe: http://www.purcellmurray.com/blog/index.php/article/19022
1) nothing was soggy or overdone, very clean tastes, and 2) the corned beef cut like deli corned beef it was so solid and even, yet it was still tender. Totally perfect slices for sammiches, which I never got from the crockpot.
Now, I've never tried a regular oven for this, so perhaps that would work too - maybe add a pan of water to the bottom of the oven for steam.

I want one of those now.

Thank you for all the ideas. I think I see some of my problem, I've never covered the meat with liquid. I only put about 1" of water in the crock then cook for 3 hours or so. I will try covering it and cooking it much longer. I admit that I am a crock pot cook failure, I can't make roast beef in one either.
I have a really nice dutch oven I wouldn't mind using instead but I'm not sure if its big enough, I bought a pretty big chunk of meat this year.

I actually have never heard of soda bread but it doesn't sound good. Makes me think of soda crackers in bread form, am I way off base? Never heard of kerrygold butter either, oh the joys of small town living.

3 hours is not enough time to cook anything in a slow cooker as large as a brisket.

Soda bread is a quick bread. It is leavened with baking soda (hence the name soda bread) and some kind of acidic liquid. Usually buttermilk. It is delicious.

https://youtu.be/XJ54nF4rRh8

I usually try to buy a point cut, but if I can't find that, I'll buy the flat cut.

To cook- I do the same thing with corned beef as what I do with my chuck roasts:

1) Rub the brisket all over with salt and pepper (only with the corned beef, I omit the salt because it's salty enough)
2) Sear it all over at med-high heat in my big cast iron frying pan in a little oil to produce the Maillard reaction
3) Transfer it to a Dutch oven or roasting pan (whichever it fits in best). Set aside momentarily....
4) Deglaze the frying pan with about 1/4 cup wine and 1/4 cup beef broth, making sure to scrape up all the meaty bits.
5) Pour the deglazing liquid/meaty bits over the roast
6) Add additional boiling beef broth to the roasting pan or Dutch oven as will come up the sides of the roast by 1/3., and make sure to also add the contents of the spice packet that came with the corned beef
7) Tightly cover the roasting pan or Dutch oven and set it in a pre-heated 250F oven to give it a slow and low braise for several hours until it is fall-apart tender.... usually takes 1 hour per every pound of meat, sometimes a little more, depending.
8 ) To test for doneness: If I can stick a fork in the thickest part of the roast vertically and have the fork slide back out real easy without it being able to actually pick up the roast, I call it done. For what it's worth, temp-wise, it is normally at least 210F in the thickest part.
9) I cook my carrots, potatoes and cabbage separately.

For my Irish soda bread, I follow this traditional recipe HERE

IrishLass :)

That sounds really good Irishlass, I've never seared one before but I will try it this year. I think I'd like to cook the veggies separate to keep the spice mix off them.
I'll have to pass on the bread, it just doesn't sound exciting to me. I'm not much a bread fan though, especially if it has buttermilk in it.

I made my first ever corned beef last night and it turned out pretty good. Decided to roast this one in the oven instead of doing the stovetop method. Used the convection roast function on our oven at 300 degrees and cooked for 1hr per lb. I just sprinkled the spice packet over the non-fatty side and wrapped in aluminum foil. I was worried about leakage so ended up putting everything in a dutch oven which also helped seal in the moisture. I would definitely use this method again but like the suggestions about searing before roasting.

I don't know if Aussie rules apply but this is what I do:

1. take the meat out of the plastic (don't trust it either)
2. wash off that jelly stuff, omit any seasoning as it's salty enough
3. cover with enough water for meat to swim freely
4. pop in one bay leaf, about 10 peppercorns, onion stuffed with 6 cloves (stick them into onion), one tablespoon of brown sugar, one tablespoon of apple cider vinegar
5. if the meat is around 1.5kg like the packets I buy, cook for 2h on low in a normal pot or for about 40 mins in pressure cooker (depending on the brand) - I have Phillips multicooker and this is just enough
6. veg can be added towards end of the cooking or cooked separately (that's how we like it)

I'll have to pass on the bread, it just doesn't sound exciting to me. I'm not much a bread fan though, especially if it has buttermilk in it.

Yep- it is rather plain and unassuming- very much like what we call a biscuit here in the US (I mention that for our friends across the pond whose 'biscuits' are what we here in the US call a "cookie". Totally different thing). The first time I made Irish soda bread, hubby and son referred to it as being just a giant biscuit. lol

I like to doctor my slices of the soda bread up by slathering them with butter and honey. lol

Its that time of years again, time for me to absolutely ruin a good piece of corned beef. Doesn't matter what I try, it comes out tough and dry.
Does anyone here have a fool proof recipe or technique? My family would appreciate it:)[/QUOTE

I have the best corned beef recipe that I got over 45 years ago from an old friend. Some friends in January would be asking me if I was going to make my traditional St. Paddy's day meal. it's that good. So here you go. This won't be dry, because you boil it along with other things to give it great flavor!

1 or 2 straight cut corned beefs (if you are going to do this work, get two for leftovers for sandwiches, corned beef hash, or just the same meal again!).
Rinse, and put in a large pot and cover it with water.

Add a hand full of flat leaf parsley stems and all,
3 stalks of celery with the tops
6 - 8 garlic cloves crushed
1 lemon sliced
6 medium onions sliced
2 large peeled carrots
2 bay leaves
7 whole black peppercorns
*Also add the spices and herbs that come with the roast beef

Simmer about 40 minutes a pound which can take 3 1/2 - 4 hours. If it''s not feeling tender after 2 1/2 to 3 hours, add 2 T of vinegar.

When it's starting to feel tender and you have an hour left to go, add whole peeled carrots (these will be for serving. the earlier ones added were for flavor; but I eat those as well),
Also add whole scrubbed, red potatoes at the same time.
Twenty minutes before the hours i up, add a head of cabbage that you've cut in four or more wedges depending on how many servings you want.

When done all slice one of the corned beefs or both if you're serving a crowd, it all on a very big platter along with the potatoes and carrots. Have a large pitcher with melted butter ready for everyone to pour over everything!

Serve with the traditional Irish soda bread and butter for spreading. I always serve it with N.Y. Jewish rye. I think the flavor goes better with the corned beef.

Serve with Irish Beer, or wine or cider or whatever you like. I'm not a beer drinker but my friends and late husband were, so I opted for water or wine and they had beer. I always made Irish coffee for dessert and my family tradition was to listen to the 3 Tenors singing Irish songs in the background during dinner and watching "The Quiet Man" video with John Wayne and Maureen O'Hara, after dinner.

If you make this you will never again complain about dry corned beef. This is an amazing recipe! Thank you my friend Noella, who gave this to me and is now teaching people how to cook in heaven.

Last edited:
Yep- it is rather plain and unassuming- very much like what we call a biscuit here in the US (I mention that for our friends across the pond whose 'biscuits' are what we here in the US call a "cookie". Totally different thing). The first time I made Irish soda bread, hubby and son referred to it as being just a giant biscuit. lol

I like to doctor my slices of the soda bread up by slathering them with butter and honey. lol

Yes, it is plain and unassuming, but a good recipe made with real butter and buttermilk, served warm from the oven is great with Kerrygold, and/or soaking up all the juices from the meat, veggies and seasonings. Makes great grilled cheese bread next day.

Thank you for all the ideas. I think I see some of my problem, I've never covered the meat with liquid. I only put about 1" of water in the crock then cook for 3 hours or so. I will try covering it and cooking it much longer. I admit that I am a crock pot cook failure, I can't make roast beef in one either.
I have a really nice dutch oven I wouldn't mind using instead but I'm not sure if its big enough, I bought a pretty big chunk of meat this year.

I actually have never heard of soda bread but it doesn't sound good. Makes me think of soda crackers in bread form, am I way off base? Never heard of kerrygold butter either, oh the joys of small town living.

Right there's your problem. Ya gotta have enough water to cover the meat by at least an inch and let it swim. It shouldn't touch the pot. Actually, Serene gave the perfect recipe. That's pretty much what I do. And eat on it for days. Then make another one because I usually buy two or three because they're on sale! Corned beef and cabbage is my all time "favoritest" dish ever!

I'm mostly a lurker, but I love corned beef and cabbage, and I'm Irish (well Irish-American).

I can't believe nobody cooks their corned beef and cabbage in beer! I take a 5 lb. corned beef, wipe the brine off, brown it a bit in a cast iron skilled with a little oil. Then, put it in a crockpot (cut in half if you need to get it to fit). Add cut up carrots, onion and a couple of cloves of garlic chopped. Add the little spice packet, or add some pickling spice and peppercorns. Pour a bottle of beer (about 12 oz or so) over the corned beef and cook on low for a couple of hours. Add some new potatoes (red or Yukon gold). Cut a smallish cabbage into quarters and remove the core. Add at the last hour of cooking. Let it sit in the juices and simmer. (I'd say to cook it about five to seven hours depending on your crockpot and the size of the brisket.)

Now here's the great part: Turn the oven on to 350 degrees. While the cabbage is simmering, pull out the corned beef, put on a cookie sheet. Take about 1/2 cup of brown sugar and spoon onto the corned beef lightly pressing into the corned beef. Then take some good spicy brown mustard (about 1/4 cup or so) and slather it over the brown sugar. Put in oven for about 20 minutes, or until the corned beef topping is a little crusty. Pull it out of the oven slice it and serve with the potatoes, cabbage and juices.

The Irish Soda Bread goes very well with this. I use King Arthur white whole wheat and bread flour and buttermilk. Be sure to add some caraway seed.

My husband says to drink it with Guinness Stout but don't use the Guinness for cooking the corned beef. Cheap beer will do just fine! And the next day, you have the most delicious corned beef leftovers for corned beef hash.

Happy St. Pat's to one and all!

Wow, some many yummy recipes I may have to buy a few more brisket to try them all:) Is all soda bread made with whole wheat flour? I'm thinking my hubby would like it but he won't eat whole wheat, says it tastes like mold.

I'm mostly a lurker, but I love corned beef and cabbage, and I'm Irish (well Irish-American).

I can't believe nobody cooks their corned beef and cabbage in beer! I!

Irish-American here, too (with a little French and Polish tossed in, too ;) ). Thank you for beer the idea. I think I shall try that on Thursday!

miheypete said:
The Irish Soda Bread goes very well with this. I use King Arthur white whole wheat and bread flour and buttermilk. Be sure to add some caraway seed.

JuneP said:
I always serve it with N.Y. Jewish rye. I think the flavor goes better with the corned beef.

Yes indeed, Jewish rye bread would pair perfectly with the flavor of corned beef. That settles it- I'm going to break from tradition and put some caraway seeds in my Irish soda bread on Thursday. It won't be traditional Irish soda bread or actual Jewish rye, but it will still be a soda bread nevertheless, and the caraway seeds will help push the flavor in the direction of a Jewish rye. Win/win!

This is a great thread! I love all the tips!

Got my corned beef in the oven slowly braising away, just finished baking my soda bread with caraway seeds and a little butter in the mix (they came out great and taste awesome!), and I'm off to prep my veggies now.

Happy St. Patty's Day everyone!

We crock-potted ours; it was tender and tasty (just wish I'd seen the beer recipe here first). This is always a great meal to celebrate our anniversary! Nine years ago I remember wondering whether the Irishmen's bad luck or good luck would follow us in marriage. I'm happy to say, it's been the good!

I think I'm giving up on cooking with a crock pot. After hours of cooking and still feeling like a chunk of rubber, I moved everything into a stock pot and finished cooking the brisket on the stove.
I used beer and chicken broth along with veggies/spices and it turned out very well. Cooked the cabbage and potatoes separate in a dutch oven with a little broth off the meat. They had nice flavor without being soggy. All in all, this was the best I've done with corned beef but I need more practice. The soda bread was a hit, I will probably make this every so often just because.

Mine came out great, too. I used a 4.1 lb flat cut, and I gave it a good searing all over, then braised it in the oven with a mix of part beer and part beef broth for 4 hours on 250F (internal temp of meat reached 210F). Then I uncovered it, drained off the juices into a bowl, placed the meat back into the oven without the cover on, and cranked the temp to 375 to continued cooking about 20 minutes in order to crisp the outside before setting aside to rest. It came out so juicy and melt-in-your-mouth tender.

I had the same kind of idea as Obsidian as far as my veggies were concerned.... I cooked my cabbage and onion wedges together in a separate Dutch oven with some beef broth, and I boiled my potatoes and carrots together in a big pot of boiling water until just done, then I transferred them to a large covered dish in the oven with some broth to keep warm after I had taken the meat out to rest.

Everything was delicious. I forgot to mention in my last post that when I made my revamped soda bread recipe, I cut the dough into 12 biscuits instead of forming it into a big, single round. I'm going to make it that way from now on. They were a hit, and everyone loved the caraway seeds in them.

I think I'm giving up on cooking with a crock pot. After hours of cooking and still feeling like a chunk of rubber, I moved everything into a stock pot and finished cooking the brisket on the stove.
I used beer and chicken broth along with veggies/spices and it turned out very well. Cooked the cabbage and potatoes separate in a dutch oven with a little broth off the meat. They had nice flavor without being soggy. All in all, this was the best I've done with corned beef but I need more practice. The soda bread was a hit, I will probably make this every so often just because.

How long is hours of cooking? Mine cooks on low while I'm at work, so 8-9 hrs. You can cook it on high for 4-5 hrs but it's not the same. Slow is better.

Latest posts

Back