corn oil, canola oil, soybean oil?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

punkflash54

Reaction score
I am just curious do they add any desirable effects to the soap? are they moisturizing in soap or anything like that? They are available everywhere and pretty cheap in price so i didnt know if they would add any benefits to my soap

they do contribute to a nice mild soap, but also to the likelihood of DOS (i.e., rancidity) so whether individual or combined it's generally recommended to keep the total under 15%.

actually I've never tried corn.

I agree with Carebear, I've never used corn oil, but canola, soybean are widely considered to contibute to DOS. The only corn oil that I have seen over here is VERY yellow in colour. I believe that they colour some of it (not sure with what?) for cooking pop corn.

thanks, yeah i was just curious because i see corn, soybean and canola oil everywhere but i dont read much about it when it comes to soap making

Soy causes some people allergic reactions (one of my customers told me); canola oil is a fav amongst many soapers cuz it's cheap, but I made a few batches with it and didn't like how it had less glide across the skin than my usual fav (olive); corn oil stinks in soap (I tried a batch without added scent, to test it), or maybe it was just old.

If you want to find out properties of oils, there is a chart on our SoapMaker website. Just click on the button 'base oils' and it will bring you to it.

Why not make a few small batches with the various oils you're curious about and see for yourself? it's the best way....

I have used corn oil in the past and thought it was fine in soap but the biggest concern with all of those oils is the dos.

Bruce

sorry to hijack the thread.. but what about cottonseed oil?? would it do the same?? can i put in vit e or rosemary oil to help stop it from going off??

Woodi said:
Soy causes some people allergic reactions (one of my customers told me); canola oil is a fav amongst many soapers cuz it's cheap, but I made a few batches with it and didn't like how it had less glide across the skin than my usual fav (olive); corn oil stinks in soap (I tried a batch without added scent, to test it), or maybe it was just old.

If you want to find out properties of oils, there is a chart on our SoapMaker website. Just click on the button 'base oils' and it will bring you to it.

Why not make a few small batches with the various oils you're curious about and see for yourself? it's the best way....

I would LOVE to see the chart but couldn't find it...

jdranch said:
Woodi said:

I would LOVE to see the chart but couldn't find it...

Requires a little work, but you look at this page to see what the fatty acids contribute: http://soapcalc.net/info/soapqualities.asp

and this chart to see the the fatty acid profiles of the various oils http://soapcalc.net/calc/OilList.asp

But rather than using the "sort" page, I prefer to use the lye calculator page to see the profiles of the individual oils and blends http://soapcalc.net/calc/SoapCalcWP.asp

(take all with a grain of salt - there seem to be some synergistic effects of certain combinations, unsaponifiables impact the soap qualities, and the level of lye discount is very important. but it's a good place to start.)

thanx for posting the links.. checking them out now.. see if i can make sense of them! :D

Thanks again for posting the links. I studied the table and have a few questions. I am going to post them in a new thread!

I've tried Corn and found it made the soap yellow. No DOS yet but it is only about a month old.
I have a batch with Soy and one with Canola (small percentages) curing as we speak!

I have always used generic crisco, which is basically hydrogenated soybean oil with no DOS problems (my oldest soaps are 2 yo). I recently started using soybean oil but it's too early to tell about DOS.

Back